Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Pumpkin-Glow
0 Kudos

GREAT BOOKS FOR HALLOWEEN!

I am new to these boards, but a long time Barnes & Noble fan (I practically live at my local store, sipping Starbucks and devouring the books). I would like to know if anyone has any great recommendations for scary paranormal books to order in preparation of my favorite holiday.....Hallllooowwwweeeennn!

I love King, Koontz, Hamilton, Poe, Rice, etc. I have read most of the classics like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Shining (I think it's a classic), etc. But I am looking for new books that capture all that is creepy! Ghosts, zombies, vampires...and other things that go bump in the night! The scarier the better!

love to know your top picks...

PUMPKIN GLOW

Contributor
pamelakkinney
0 Kudos

Re: GREAT BOOKS FOR HALLOWEEN!

Okay, how about a good ghostly classic, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson? This is my fave all time ghost story. Her other books are super too, as is her short stories, like "The Lottery."

Scott Nicholson writes some great scary stuff. As does Mark Stephan Painey. The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2008 by Kelly Link, Gavin Grant, and Ellen Datlow. Elizabeth Massie is always great. She's a good friend, but a super author of the scary stuff. 

Also I have short stories in these anthologies: Travel Guide to Haunted Mid-Atlantic Region, The Parasitorium: Parasitic Sands (though only at Lulu.com) and NorthernHaunts:100 Terrifying tales of New England. I doubt the last one out this year, but youc an find out more at

http://www.shroudmagazine.com/northern-haunts--100-terrifying-new-england-ta100.html

If like true ghost stories I have a book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia that is in the bookstores like B&N and elsewhere. 

Coming December is Twisted Twins Daily Chills Calendar which will have horror flash fiction tales and scary poetry ( I have two poems in this).

Pamela K. Kinney

Be prepared to take a journey into Pamela K. Kinney's fantastic dreams of horror, science fiction and fantasy, plus true ghost stories in Haunted Richmond, Virginia.

Coming out December 2008: Twisted Twins Daily Chills Calendar, with poems, "My Nightmare Thing" and "Dreams Darkly" by Pamela K. Kinney, plus other dark poetry and chilling flash fiction from other horror authors for each day in the calendar. Will be available at Amazon and in brick and mortar bookstores in USA and United Kingdom. Also my story based on a real legend of New England, "Pukwudgies: The Little Monsters of New England" will be availabe in Northern Haunts: 100 Terrifying New England Tales anthology. This anthology, which all proceeds go to the American Cancer Society is available for preorder for both trade paperback and hardback at http://www.shroudmagazine.com/northern-haunts--100-terrifying-new-england-ta100.htmlfying-new-englan... .
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Pumpkin-Glow wrote:

I am new to these boards, but a long time Barnes & Noble fan (I practically live at my local store, sipping Starbucks and devouring the books). I would like to know if anyone has any great recommendations for scary paranormal books to order in preparation of my favorite holiday.....Hallllooowwwweeeennn!

I love King, Koontz, Hamilton, Poe, Rice, etc. I have read most of the classics like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Shining (I think it's a classic), etc. But I am looking for new books that capture all that is creepy! Ghosts, zombies, vampires...and other things that go bump in the night! The scarier the better!

love to know your top picks...

PUMPKIN GLOW

One book I'm hoping to feature either in Paranormal Fantasy or in SF/Fantasy in October is Suzy McKee Charnas' The Vampire Tapestry, which was just reissued by Tor a few weeks ago. It was orginally published in 1980 and is evidentally a vampire "cult classic." I never even heard of it until I saw the reissue but it looks like a perfect Halloween read...

Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Vampire-Tapestry/Suzy-McKee-Charnas/e/9780765320827/?itm=1

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
readingisfun2012
0 Kudos

I really like SPI: The Case Of The Dark Shadow, by T.J. Bonham, ISBN# 978-0-7643-4132-8.  The characters are wonderful and the story keeps you in suspense!  A great paranormal book for Halloween or any time of the year.

Frequent Contributor
ScottNicholson
0 Kudos

I am enjoying Bentley Little' s new one, The Haunted, if you like supernatural tales!

Scott Nicholson

http://www.hauntedcomputer.com

Trading words for magic beans.
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

Great suggestions! I'm forever looking for a book that will scare me (especially this time of year!), and have tried the usuals as mentioned before but looking for something new or that I haven't read. I haven't tried all of these so I'll look!

House of Leaves 

Someone suggested this as a very scary cult classic to me but I haven't tried it yet. It's not available in ebook format, because apparently the formatting is really strange anyway and a little challenging to read but worth it. I'm still going to try to check it out... 

Another "classic" I was referred to is Ghost Story by Peter Straub. Definitely want to read it!

Ghost Story  

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451