Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Halloween Reads

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

Re: Halloween Reads

I still need to read Connolly's crime fiction - it's crime fiction with a supernatural edge.

Derek Tatum
Author
JFLewis

[ Edited ]

Something Wicked This Way Comes 

Around Halloween each year, I usually dig out my copy of  Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.  I've read very little of his work, but this one gets me.  I also like to break out the old VHS copy of the movie version, which is scary in it's own right.  Jonathan Pryce's version of Mr.. Dark is the voice I hear in my head when I read the novel now... which makes reading it a little extra spooky somehow since it kind of reads like evil wins and is reminiscing about how good "thought"  it won.

Dreams of Terror and Death 

While not possessing all of my favorites, this edition of H.P. Lovecraft's unique brand of horror does contain the Randolph Carter dream stories: The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, etc and some of his other Dreamlands stories.  Folks who read "The Cats of Ulthar" will certainly see where the a little spark of the idea for my mousers came from.  The aren't one and the same by any stretch, but I won't pretend there wasn't an influence.

This collection doesn't have "The Music of Erich Zann", "The Outsider" and "Dreams in the Witch House", but this one does: The Best of H. P. Lovecraft.

Misery 

If I'm particularly interested in scary the hell out of myself, I read Stephen King's Misery.  Though I love the movie, too, it is nothing compared to the book.  This novel ranks as one of the most terrifying books of all time for me.  Maybe it's because I write, but... eep... being trapped and at the mercy of a fan that is obviously insane, violent, and capable of anything... absolutely shudder worthy.

The Walking Dead, Book 1, Vol. 1 

Given the recent discussion Derek started up about comics and novels, I thought I'd throw in one of the darkest comics out there in the Halloween list.  If you like zombie movies, then this one is for you.  A warning though... this one is every bit as brutal as the best films in the genre and even more disturbing than most since Robert Kirkman doesn't have to worry about a ratings system.  It's also not a standalone.  So far, I think the series is ten volume long and still going strong. 

Not for the squeamish.

Big Pumpkin 

Halloween's approach also means I'll have to start reading "Big Pumpkin" , written by Erica Silverman and illustrated by S.D. Schindler, to my kids at least once a week (...if not once a night).

The New Annotated Dracula 

And if you want to go old school, read Dracula!  There are several annotated versions out there, but I really dig Les Klinger's.  His notations are informative, but they are also made with the editorial conceit that the events in Dracula actually happened, so inconsistencies in the text are analyzed not with notes like "Stoker make an obvious error, blah, blah, blah...", but with an investigative air... as Les tries to untangle why the error is there.  Did Dracula alter the text to hide the true location of Castle Dracula?  Did Van Helsing?  Was Mina trying to protect her husband's reputation?  Very cool stuff.

"In the end, a friendship between a vampire and a human is like a friendship between a dog and a chicken nugget... the only real question is how many bites it will take." - Staked by J. F. Lewis
---
My Books: Staked, ReVamped, CrossedBurned, My Blog: WTF, My Website: Author At Large
New User
rluto

I'm currently reading The Hound of the Baskervilles.  Nice and creepy without being a "horror" book.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

These are some of my favorite books to read around this time of the year,  I'm going to try and get to most of them this month (most are rereads for me)

The Hunger 

Thief of Always 

Drawing Blood 

Dracula (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

Dead until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #1) (True Blood) 

Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot Series) 

The Haunting of Hill House 

Rosemary's Baby 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
PamelaKKinneyPK
0 Kudos

Two good Halloween reads:

#1: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

#2 Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

#3 anything by H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe

I adit there's others, and won't be able to read these two as normal as I have a review du for a book, Sense and Sensability and Sea Monsters due to a magazine and my own writing and signings till Halloween, but I would suggest these two to anyone to read. Haunting was the only book to scare me during the daytime in a room full of people. King and other shad to do this at night, with me alone. As for Bradbury, the man is a master storyteller. Same goes for Lovecraft and Poe.

Pamela K. Kinney
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney
http://PamelaKKinney.blogspot.com

Be prepared to take a journey into Pamela K. Kinney's fantastic dreams of horror, science fiction and fantasy, plus the ghosts and legends of two nonfiction ghost books,  Haunted Richmond, Virginia and Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales.

Watch Haunted Richmond Virginia book video on http://www.blazingtrailers.com/show.php?title=268

Pamela K. Kinney is an author of published horror, science fiction, fantasy, horror, poetry, and the nonfiction book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia, published by Schiffer Publishing, along with Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales coming fall 2009 from Schiffer Publishing, too. Using the pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan, she has published erotic and sweet paranormal/fantasy/science fiction romance, along with poetry and couple of erotic horror stories, one, a Lovecraftian novella, Unwitting Sacrifice, published by Under the Moon, now available. She also has done acting on stage and in films, plus is a costumer. Find out more about her at: http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com or at either of her MySpaces: http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney and http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan.
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

Ryan_G wrote:

Rosemary's Baby 

Just avoid "Son of Rosemary!" ha ha.

Derek Tatum
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Rosemary's Baby 

Just avoid "Son of Rosemary!" ha ha.

Eh yeah not to tell someone not to read but it is a little.... dated and sooo not scary. One of those cases where the movie was better. And well... the movie sucked too.