Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Re: Hello, Everyone, this is Laurell K. Hamilton

[ Edited ]

~JUMPS UP AND DOWN~

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Laurell is here, Laurell is HERE!!  :-D

Sorry about that....LOL!  Just can't contain my excitement and had to get that off my chest.  :-)  I missed the Facebook chat so this is absolutely awesome!

One thing I heard that absoutely floored me...  I heard the next Merry book is going to be 3 months after the babies are born.  Is that true?  I was hoping the whole birth and such was going to be in the next one so I'm a little disappointed I guess.  Unless you're going to give her flashbacks or something?

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Contributor
NamirRaChica
0 Kudos

The show is a no go

Reader 2
H0Use_WiFE
0 Kudos

NamirRaChica wrote:

The show is a no go

She'll be here. She is still working, but will be checking so often to get some answers in!

New User
Blackberry
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello Laurell!

Oh, boy. I feel pretty exited just writing this because for me it seems so impossible to get  so close to someone you admire, ha, almost like getting a conversation from stars above. I just wanted to say, that your books are highly appreciated in Europe, too. For example, I live in Latvia and, although, I can't get your works at bookshops, I've read them all as e-books in my computer. You have very strong characters and by strong I mean, that once I read about them, I can picture and feel them so clearly, that they live your stories in my head everyday. And I love that you're playing with light and darkness, pain and pleasure in them. That good is not always good and vice versa. Haha, I'd love to spend my holidays in your head, would really love to see all the wonders in there.

Anyway, as all the fans, I have my own curiosity to please. So, here it goes. Reading series of Merry Gentry I got very curious about the entire fiery thing, even looked up in the internet, read some Celtic myths. How did you come up with using their culture as a base in the story? Were you previously interested in it or did the idea just came to you?

So, while I have the amazing chance, I'd love to ask you something more. I've always dreamed about being a writer myself, so I wanted to ask you, how did that start for you? Were you always sure about the plot you’re going to write? Does it comes to you naturally, do you know the ending when you begin the book or does it come with time? I'm just worried that need to write myself out is not enough to be a writer, so I wanted to ask someone whose work I appreciate. 

Ok, I can't seem to thing of anything else right now, but I'm sure that in exact time that I will send these questions, I'll come up with more. Though I usually get a lot of my answers at your blogs and twitter. Anyway, have a good evening (or a day, if it's early there) and take care (and keep up the good work with feeding my fantasy with such a sensuous works).  :smileyhappy:

Liga

Contributor
NamirRaChica
0 Kudos

H0Use_WiFE wrote:

NamirRaChica wrote:

The show is a no go

She'll be here. She is still working, but will be checking so often to get some answers in!

Thanks but I know how this works I was responding to the question on page 1 and just figured out the quote button

Contributor
NamirRaChica
0 Kudos

Hello Ms. LKH

XOXOXO

I have a million ???'s but I know you will not answer most of them because I know you do spoilers so :-( for me but I do have one I know you can answer so here goes.

WHEN R U COMING TO NYC

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

Hey Toni,

Tell your son that Laughing Corpse Vol 2 is on selves now.

For you, Micah will be on stage a lot in Flirt, the novel coming out Febuary 2nd and in Bullet coming in June. I agree that he's a stablizing influence.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

The idea for Anita Blake came when I read hard boiled detective fiction for the first time just after college. At that time in the mystery genre male detectives could cuss like sailors, have causal sex, and kill people without remorse, but the female detectives could not. They rarely cussed, there was either no sex or it was sanitized and off stage, and if they killed anyone they had to feel, really, really bad about it. I felt this was unfair and wanted a character that could balance the field for the women. A woman that could keep up, or surpass the men, and I think I did that with Anita.

I'd had a life long love of folklore, myth, and horror so I put those elements into the books, because I thought a straight mystery series wouldn't interest me as deeply. Apparently, I have given myself enough toys as an author because as I write the 19th book in the series, Bullet, I am still learning new things about my characters, my world, and having a wonderful time writing the book.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

Hey Paul,

Funny when I first started trying to sell Anita Blake as a series the wisdom in publishing was that mixed genre didn't sell and that it was neither fish nor fowl. They wanted the book to either be mystery, or horror, or science fiction, or fantasy, or something. Mixing all of it together made a lot of editors turn it down as unmarketable, and now the wisdom of publishing is that mixed genre means a larger readership.

I didn't write to find a larger audience, I wrote Anita because I wanted to read it. I still feel that way as I write the newest novel. I've always loved genre fiction it had never occurred to me that by mixing all the genres together and making a success of it that I would help pave the way for the genres themselves to lose their boundaries. It is an unforeseen consequence. I think there will always be genre fiction, but I think that the days when most books had only one element from one genre in them maybe a thing of the past. The boundaries have blurred and Paranormal Thrillers have helped make that happen.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

The necklace Brennan is wearing on the cover of Divine Misdemeanors is supposed to be the nail that was part of the shrapnel that injured Merry in the last book. He was wearing it in the scene in the book as sort of a good luck charm, as most of the soliders she healed are.

New User
tayjjohn
0 Kudos

Greetings LKH,

I have three questions:

1.  Is there any chance you'll have a book signing in my are?  I live in Laurel, MD.  I'm about midway between Washington, DC and Baltimore.

2.  Is there any chance Anita's family will be focused upon in an upcoming story?

3.  I just purchased Guilty Pleasures (Marvel) the complete edition.  Will there be a complete edition for each book in the Anita series?  If so, when will the next complete edition be available for purchase?

I guess that's actually 4 questions.  Thanks for listening!

Tonya

Reader
RdeadlineAR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello Miss. Hamilton,

I have read your work for a few years and while I found the earlier books very enjoyable, I have a couple questions about the later books.

1.  Since the narration of the Anita Blake books is completely in Anita's perspective, would it be true that there is more going on, with JC say, than she, and therefore the reader knows?  

2.  Since Anita also has strains of bear and snake will these appear in the series?

3.  Your writings have alot of sexual violence.  Almost all of the main characters in the Anita Blake series are surviors.  Is the adeur intended as a date rape drug and if so is Anita also being asaulted by it or is she a rapist?

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton
0 Kudos

I use whole cloth incidents from real life very, very rarely. I write about murder and very violent crimes which luckily people I know don't participate in much. If you mean the sex, then anyone that is close enough to be in my bed would be cool with it.

Oddly, I was inspired by a real life incident to write the book, Flirt. Its so unusual for me to be inspired by real life events that I made a note of it and have included an essay in the back explaining what really happened and how I got from that much kinder, gentler idea, to the mayhem and violence of the book. In fact I kept track of the number of pages I averaged a day, the music I listened to, and the process from idea to end product. As much as possible with Flirt I have revealed the magician's trick. And one of the things I wanted to make clear is that different artists see the same event differently, so in that vein, I asked my friend Jennie Breeden of "The Devil's Panties" to do a series of comics about the incident that inspired. As mine is much darker, hers is even lighter and funnier. Two artists, one event, two very different takes.

Flirt hits the shelves February 2nd and you can read for yourself how real life inspired me.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Laurell-K-Hamilton wrote:
Flirt hits the shelves February 2nd and you can read for yourself how real life inspired me.

FYI:

Here's the cover art.....

Paul

Flirt (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series #18)

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Reader 2
epinephrine
0 Kudos

Dear Laurell -

Thank you muchly for the time and effort that you put into your books, and into informing your many fans of all your updates. Recently, I asked you a question on Twitter, and I wanted to go a little more in depth to it, than twitter would allow me to.

If you took a human sensitive, say, a person with Touch Nell's Clairvoyancy, and they got infected by a were-leopard, would they lose their ability in clairvoyancy upon their first shift? You replied to me, that no, they would not. I have had this roundabout argument with other LKH fans and pals of mine so often it's not funny, and we all seem to disagree. The way that I see it, lycanthropy does not delete your DNA and rewrite it completely, it merely adjusts to your current DNA pattern - thusly, your prior skills would still be there and within the same usage abilities. The same in ideal of a Necromancer turned lycanthrope. I was hoping you may be able to branch out more on this with your own thoughts and reasonings?

Thank you, very much, for your time on this.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton
0 Kudos

To my knowledge I set up that murder victims could never be raised from the dead becasue they would automaically become rampaging monsters until they slew their own murderer. I'm not saying that somewhere in some early book that I missed, or an overzealous copyeditior, changed a sentence so that a murder victim could be raised. But no, it doesn't work that way. If a murder victim does not know who killed them then no they can't chase after their killers, and further more they can't tell you who killed them becasue they don't know. Some people will destory the face or mouth of a murder victim in the hopes that if they are raised they can't talk, and some animators wouldn't be able to bring them back whole enough to testify even if you could get around that whole rampaging zombie problem, but Anita and a few others could bring them back entact enough to testify. It wouldn't be so bad if the zombie just attacked the murderer but it will also hurt anyone that gets in its way.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

Jean-Claude doesn't talk to me directly enough for me to do a book from his view point. He keeps his secrets and plays the myster man. I do know more of his back story than has been seen on screen, and we may get more of that on stage at some point.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

Hey Kimya,

I'd love to be able to put the gentler moments between Anita and the guys on paper, but if its just a birthday party, or a regular Christmas it wouldn't really be a novel, it would be a vignette. I do have several books planned around holidays, and more "normal" parts of their lives though. In fact, Bullet, the Anita book coming in June begins with Anita and Jean-Claude going to see Jason, Nathaniel, and Stephen in a dance recital, as in ballet, tap, and modern, not stripping. We also get to see Monica Vespucci and her son Matthew, who is in the toddler dance class, on stage for the first time. It is Anita and the men living their lives, growing as people, and being a family. It was very fun to write and the few people I've allowed to read it have really enjoyed it. It was nice to show them being "normal" before the **bleep** hit the fan.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

I just finished a scene this morning for Bullet that has Gretchen on stage. The rotting vampires also made an appearence. And we're about to see the Lamia. It's like you've been peeking over my shoulder.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton
0 Kudos

I started out writing heroic fantasy in both short stories and in my first novel, Nightseer, but now with two best selling series that aren't heroic fantasy I just do not have time to write another book series about anything. Two book series at a time is all my life,  my muse, and my sanity can maintain. *laughs*