Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
toxicmizery
0 Kudos

Re: Hello, Everyone, this is Laurell K. Hamilton

Hi Laurell, hope I am doing this right. I am a big fan of your writings. I have always wondered since it was never really stated in stone. But do you think a triumvirate could be formed with 2 vampires and a servant? or does it have to be 3 different? And if possible can a triumvirate be formed with an animal that wasn't the animal to call to a vampire?

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

You heard right. I am planning to have the next Merry book take place three to six months after the twins are born. I had a rather traumatic time with my own daughter's birth and was very ill throughout my pregnancy. I think Merry as a descendent of fertility deities would have an easy pregnancy and birth, but that is not the experience of most women I know. I know I have a lot of readers that have not started families yet and I didn't feel right about giving them a potentially false idea of how easy it is to be pregnant and give birth since it can be pretty horrible and dangerous to the mother and the baby. Without modern medical technology both I, and my daughter, would have died during her birth. So to avoid giving a false positive on something potentially so hazardous I chose to skip to the babies being on this side of the womb.

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
0 Kudos

Hello Ms. Hamilton,

First I want  to say you are one of my fav authors and thank you for writing such wonderful novels.  I've read all of your Anita Blake novels and that is mostly what everyone has focused on in this thread, but my favorite is Merry.  I absolutely love your Merry Gentry novels.  I don't know what it is about Merry and her men, but I start reading those books and I you can't pull me away.  I cannot wait for the next one.  I am always searching for new information about that series. 

1.  What is the name of the next Gentry book?

2.  How many are going to be in the series?  (let it be a lot!!!!)

Thank you again. 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
New User
aircooledaverys
0 Kudos

do you use people from your life as characters in your books?

New User
DanishWolf
0 Kudos

Hi Laurell,

I'm so happy that you want to do fanservice like this. Have followed, first your blog for almost 3 years (ever since I first found your books) and have followed your Twitter from day 1. But it wasn't untill a month ago I finally created my own twitter account so that I finally can reply to you.

I'm re-reading the series right now and a couple of questions have come to my mind:

1. How old is Edward suposed to be - years older than Anita? I've wondered some times and I have during the series put more years on him in my head than the first book. First I though about 5-7 year but it have grown to more like 10 or maybe even 15. Know that Donna is 42 i Harlequin which is 14 years older than Anita but that doesn't have to be a give-away clue :smileyhappy:

2. Are re-reading Incubus Dreams (I.D) right now and stumled over something that made me wonder. On page 66 -middle (in the paperback) Anita have a talk with Marianne where she uses tarot cards. Here she tell Anita that :

" ..there will be a lot of conflicts on this one, and more to die. But the justice card says the guilty will be   

punished, and it will work out but not without loss." ....  " That's odd. Someone will be involved that was  

once yout teacher. Someone older. Do you know who that would be?"

Maybe it's just me that overinterpret but right a way when I read this I thought *that is the story for Skin Trade right there*.

Vittorio DIDN'T get punished in I.D. and Edward have in many ways been a teacher for Anita and 'walked on stage' in Skin Trade.

So after my long intro to the Q. it is simply: Am I wrong or did you have that book in mind and already more or less planed back then?

Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

Hi again Laurell,

I did think of a couple of more questions:

1. Will we be seeing more Richard, and if we do will he be finding some sort of inner peace or resolution?  I feel for the guy and I wonder if his new version of the ardeur will be explored more in coming books.

2.  Also, I was curious if Anita would ever take a trip across the pond.  It would be interesting to have her over there interacting with the European vamps on their turf.

New User
scorpiovamp
0 Kudos

I started reading the Anita Blake series earlier last year and every time I finish one I feel sad.

I just finished Blue Moon and I'm waiting to read the Obsidian Buterflies... can't read them fast enough!

My questions are:

1. Do you think from the reader's view, does it matter if we follow the series in the sequence they were published? or can the books be read in any order?

2. When I heard that there was a movie coming out soon, I got excited and worried a bit too... Most of the books that have been made into films don't do 100% justice to the book... and I feel that I'm going to have a hard time watching the IFC movie... Do you have any comments or feelings about it? or did you at some point?

3. I have been in love with vampires since I was little... even had dreams about them all the time. But I was always afriad to share that with anyone. And now that everyone is "into" vampires is not weird... I read your Bio in your website and you talked about how your grandmother would tell you scary stories... Do you think that now that vamps are more popular, had it influence any of your writing, stories, feelings, etc?

Thank you for your amazing work! You have brought so much happiness to my life this past year! Can't wait to read more!!!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Laurell-K-Hamilton wrote:

I just finished a scene this morning for Bullet that has Gretchen on stage. The rotting vampires also made an appearence. And we're about to see the Lamia. It's like you've been peeking over my shoulder.

ROTFL!  That's toooooo funny!

I cannot wait to read Bullet!  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Laurell-K-Hamilton wrote:

You heard right. I am planning to have the next Merry book take place three to six months after the twins are born. I had a rather traumatic time with my own daughter's birth and was very ill throughout my pregnancy. I think Merry as a descendent of fertility deities would have an easy pregnancy and birth, but that is not the experience of most women I know. I know I have a lot of readers that have not started families yet and I didn't feel right about giving them a potentially false idea of how easy it is to be pregnant and give birth since it can be pretty horrible and dangerous to the mother and the baby. Without modern medical technology both I, and my daughter, would have died during her birth. So to avoid giving a false positive on something potentially so hazardous I chose to skip to the babies being on this side of the womb.

Ah okay that makes sense...thanks so much!  I was 17 when I had my daughter and it was pretty close to the same.  Sick almost all throughout and labour lasted 23 hours.  Ugh.  I didn't know that happened with you and your daughter, wow!  I assume everything is good now?  :-)

I bet with all the men in her life, the birth would have been a bit of a gong show, LOL....

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
New User
jnj562000
0 Kudos

I thought that Breenen would show up more in DM. Will he be making bigger apperances in future Merry Books? I herd that he may be a love intrest of a certain female cop? Any truth to that?

Just wanted to say thanks for the great books. I got my fan club membership from my kids for Christmas they are 7 and 4 but they know mommy well! Daddy helped! Cant wait for new books keep up the great writing!

Jennifer Johnson

Charleston, WV

New User
NyteChylde
0 Kudos

First, thank you for sharing the gift of your writing. Main question, is there any word on any of the books seeing a form of visual art in the near future, whether it be film, television, etc? And if you were given full creative license, who would you have play all the main characters? Thank you so much once again.

New User
DanishWolf
0 Kudos

Hi again Laurell,

A few more questions have appered.

1. Are we going to see Traveler (council member) on stage again soon? How about the rest of the council?

2. Same Q' as above but about Belle Morte, will she come to visit soon?

3. This Q. comes from following your writing proces on Twitter and having read your books several times.

Because you are so much into the world of Anita and the guys - and write and then often delete/remove something from the books again..

How often do you have trouble remember/forget what information you actually DO use in the books and what you might have written but not used?. -Which sometimes cause that you THINK we know some info or start up on a topic but don't really finish it completely.

Ex. Richard has told Anita 3 or 4 times now that he was a virgin/ had no experince before Raina. Anita should know this by now *LOL*

Ex. The 'developement' of Asher and his scars. In end of book 7 and from some info in book 8 he had consulted with doctors and had appointmenst with plastic surgions about trying to remove some scars and Asher have already told Anita early that he was fully functional but it wasn't known later on and we didn't hear more about the surgeries.

Last.. I'm sooo looking forward to read the 2 upcomming Anita books. She's probably been my favorite heroine ever since I read the 1st book and I love her and the guys and their world. Luckily you have been able to publish so many books by now and I look forward to read on with series that hopefully will continue for many books/years to come.

(That go for Merry too but know that that series probably won't keep on as long from the fact that it was suposed only to be 8 books and now maybe up to 15)

Contributor
NamirRaChica
0 Kudos

Hey Ms. Laurell

Will There ever be a book that includes all the deleted scenes and ideas and of course all the sticky notes or maybe a section on the website.

Oh and when will there  be another podcast you guys should do one every month I really enjoy you and Jon's banter it is sooo cute you guys seem to have a lot of fun together.

New User
WessmanT
0 Kudos

Hi Laurell!

I want to say thank you! I used to read all the time and kind of fell into a dead period. Then I discovered your books and I'm on a roll! I think you are absolutely brilliant. Most of my questions have been asked and answered, however there is one thing I've been wondering about since I read it on your forum. I was wondering what your New Years Bird was? I wish you the best in all you do and PLEASE don't ever stop writing these amazing books of yours!

Tonya

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

well, it looks like Laurell is back at to work. As per her Facebook status:  "Looking forward to your questions on the Barnes & Noble book club forums, but now I must make pages."

But don't despair! She'll be here tomorrow so please keep the questions and comments coming. Thanks for a great first day!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
URangel
0 Kudos

Re: Hello, Everyone, this is Laurel K. Hamilton

Hello, first just wanted to say that I love your books . I have read all of them and love how you write .

My question for you would be how do you see Anita series ending? And how many books?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

URangel wrote:

Hello, first just wanted to say that I love your books . I have read all of them and love how you write .

My question for you would be how do you see Anita series ending? And how many books?

Great question, URangel!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
michker
0 Kudos

hello laurel just wanted to find out if you have any plans to write a novel with the memebers of the original tri having a really good adventure  I haven't gotten the chance to see the three of them work together and just rely on each other for their survival.

ie:  Anita has  Micah and Nate to focus on and always with her do you ever think you can write a novel and not have Nate and Micah in it unless anita is out of town.  i have not read one in quite a while that we dont see Micah and Nate starring with Anita.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton
0 Kudos

There's some talk that we maybe doing NYC for the June tour for Bullet, but nothing is set yet.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

I'd actually planned on featuring Anita's family in an upcoming book. It maybe the one after Bullet. I'm not certain. I was going to take her, Micah, and Nathaniel back to her family for Thanksgiving. Still planning that one, but I also realized that we could take her home for her brother's graduation, and Micah's sister, which I don't believe has even been discussed on stage, is also graduating college. The brother, Josh, should be about graduating high school. Though the timeline at this point maybe fudged. Because we haven't seen him on stage he's stayed sort of frozen as a teenager in my head.