Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Laurell-K-Hamilton

Hello, Everyone, this is Laurell K. Hamilton

I'm Laurell K. Hamilton creator of the Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series. Both series are paranormal thrillers. My latest book is DIVINE MISDEMEANORS, a Merry Gentry novel. I'll be checking in to answer your questions today and tomorrow. Here's your chance to ask questions that take more than 140 characters for me to answer.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Re: Hello, Everyone, this is Laurell K. Hamilton

Welcome Laurell,

I am glad that you are visiting today.  My son has been bugging me to ask when the next Anita Blake graphic novel is coming out.  He still talks about your visit to Utah and he got to met all of you and you signed all of our Merry Gentry books and then signed the first graphic novel for him.  We have both been listing to Divine Misdeamer's and enjoying it very much.  He has been trying to get the library to get the Anita Blake books on audio.  I am looking forward to your next books and wondering if Micha will be playing a more predominate role in any of them?  He is one of my favorite characters.  I also feel that he is the most stabilizing influence in the group.   I also have read all of your books and will continue to do so.  It is nice sharing you with my son.

Toni 

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
dhaupt

Good morning Laurel, and welcome. How cool is it that I get to talk to my all time favorite author of paranormal novels. I love both of your series and love them both for very different reasons. I'm also a native St. Louisan so I can relate to a lot of places you visit in your stories so that makes it doubly enjoyable for me.

I know you've taken hits about the way that the Anita Blake series turned, but let me be one of the millions of voices who loved it. And I hope I'm not to presumptuous to say that I understand in my own head why it took the turn it did and applaud you for your courage to do it.

I also love in your latest books the loving dedication you give to Jonathan, it's always better in life to have a partner who shares everything and encourages you do follow your heart.

I have no questions, I just wanted to say what an honor it is to have you take time out of your very busy schedule to talk to us. And to let you know that you have a unique gift of writing and storytelling and that I'll be a great fan as long as you write.

Plus you have a great fan base right here at B&N.com and you couldn't have a better moderator that Paul.

One of your greatest fans

New User
Lacy
0 Kudos

Hi, i was wondering how you came up with Anita Blake?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Laurell:

Welcome to the forums!

I’ve been reading you ever since the beginning, way back in ’92 when Nightseer was first released (has it been 18 years already?!). I’ve reviewed almost all of your books and interviewed you three times over the years. For almost the last two decades, reading science fiction and fantasy – and especially paranormal fantasy – has been my life. And during that time, I’ve seen a phenomenal transformation – revolution – in genre fiction. Across all genres – SF, fantasy, romance, mystery, horror, etc. – the relatively well-defined boundaries between genres have been steadily blurring into nonexistence. Today, in 2010, there are literally hundreds of new releases on the shelves that are impossible to categorize – they’re a blend, an amalgam, a fusion of genre elements.

And I attribute this historic evolution, in large part, to YOU – and Anita Blake. Back in the early ‘90s, I managed bookstores and I saw it happen with my own eyes. I’d pinpoint the beginning of this phenomenon when Obsidian Butterfly was released at the very end of 1999 – the first Anita Blake novel to be published in hardcover. Hugely popular, I remember selling boxloads of that book to men and women alike (shocking at the time) – and shortly after that, I began noticing more and more Anita Blake-esque novels, with storylines that mixed mystery and romance with fantasy and horror. Those novels quickly found an audience and, now a decade later, these genre hybridized novels are everywhere! Call them what you will – urban fantasy, paranormal fantasy, paranormal romance, etc. they're here to stay and not going away any time soon....

I've talked with numerous authors about this evolution in fiction over the past few decades and their responses are all pretty much the same – mixing elements from different genres not only makes for a more interesting storyline but also appeals to a much larger readership.

As, in my opinion, the author who was the vanguard for this genre transcendence, what are your thoughts on the future of genre fiction? Where do you see genre fiction in the next decade?

And, on a personal note, does seeing the success of all these hundreds of paranormal fantasy sagas – not only book sales but novels being made into tv series, movies, etc. – give you a sense of accomplishment? In a very real sense, these are all fruits from the LKH tree....

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

What was the significance, if any, of Brennan’s necklace on the cover of Divine Misdemeanors?I am always reading waaaay too much into cover art, symbolism, etc. It's a cool cover – just wondering if the "collar" was a subtle thematic trigger.....

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Reader 2
KatVickers
0 Kudos

I understand that authors take some things from real life (events, looks, parts of personalities, etc…) and use them in their writing. Have you ever had something happen around you that would be such a perfect fit into a scene but you could not include it because it would not please the parties involved?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

KatVickers wrote:

I understand that authors take some things from real life (events, looks, parts of personalities, etc…) and use them in their writing. Have you ever had something happen around you that would be such a perfect fit into a scene but you could not include it because it would not please the parties involved?

Wow. Great question, Kat!   :smileyhappy:

Paul

Reader 2
Outrospection
0 Kudos

Hi Laurell! It's really nice to be able to speak with you both here and on Twitter.

My question is about the Anita Blake novels: Why is it that murder victims that are raised as zombies go on a spree to find their murderer? Earlier in the series, they could testify in court against their killers, but now it's illegal to raise a murder victim because of this dire need for bloody vengeance. I'm curious as to the why, and does this apply to other victims of crime? Or if suicides tear themselves to pieces out of self-loathing? What if the murder victim didn't see/know their killer, would that zombie raised just amble about and kill people?

New User
bamachick13
0 Kudos

Good Morning. Was just wondering if you ever considered writing a small book from JC point of view. Everything we have seen has been from Anita's side. Would LOVE to get a peek at JC's inner thoughts!!!!

Thanks for all your work! You have taken me on so many great rides!

New User
Kimya
0 Kudos

Hi Laurell! Its really cool to be able to ask you questions since you are without a doubt my favorite author.

My question is will we ever get a chance to see some of the candid moments between Anita and the boys? Moments like birthdays or holidays. I ask because I love them all and I'd love to get to see a few moments between them where they're not fighting for their lives, they're just living and loving each other.

Reader 2
Outrospection
0 Kudos

Hi, I hope it's allowed to post more than one set of questions, because I just thought of this as soon as I hit 'post' but here goes...

Will we ever see Melanie, the Lamia, from Circus of the Damned again? The last we heard of her, she was working at the Circus now. Surely she'd be amused by Anita's changed attitudes toward love & men. And Gretchen -- will she ever come back?

I would also love to know if the Corruptors would ever make another appearance in the books. They are my favourite villains, so scary!

Reader 2
KatVickers
0 Kudos

Will Larrell's answers appear in this thread... or am I looking in the wrong place?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

KatVickers wrote:

Will Larrell's answers appear in this thread... or am I looking in the wrong place?

Kat:

Yep, this is the place for questions and answers!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

Contributor
authra
0 Kudos

Hi

I was wondering where you get ideas for your books?

Reader 2
H0Use_WiFE
0 Kudos

Hi Laurell!  You are such a talented writer! I fell in love with your books a few years ago when I just happen to come across them in the library and I couldn't get enough. Now I own all your books to both series so I can read them whenever I want! Thanks for doing all you do!

My question is more about the Anita Blake movie. Is the IFC still making a movie based off of Anita and is there any news you can share with us about it?!

Shae

New User
mollypolly
0 Kudos

Hello Laurell and thank you for all the wonderful books, I have enjoyed them thoroughly. I am fairly caught up in all of your novels but have yet to read your latest book Divine Misdemeanors. I am anxiously awaiting Flirt that will be coming out this early spring.  I love your style of writing and very much enjoyed a book that you wrote called Death of a DarkLord. I was wondering if you have any interests in writing books that take place within the Heroic/Historical Fantasy Genre? Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

Hi Laurell, 

i just first have to say that I am a huge fan of both your series and think you are a a fantastic author.  The world of paranormal fiction and romance owes a lot to you and both series.  My question is in regards to Anita Blake.  Anita seems to be at a turning point in her life.  She is basically living full time at the Circus and has given up a lot of her treasured independence to keep up the facade that Jean Claude is running things and she is his faithful human servant.  I am just curious as to how this is going to be addressed.  Will Anita be going rogue or trying to assert herself more no matter how it looks to the rest of the vampire and lycanthrope communities?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A big welcome to everyone from Laurell's Facebook fan page – all 15,998 of you! – thanks to those of you who stopped by to visit with the one and only LKH!   :smileyhappy:

Paul

Contributor
ShaunaG
0 Kudos

Hello Laurell,

This is awesome of you to do this again!

I have a very simple question: we often hear about you talk about the number of pages you get done in a day. I was wondering if you know how many words, on average, your books end up being. I know the Anita books are longer than the Merry books, but I am very curious how long your average book is based on number of words.