Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
John_M_Grind
0 Kudos

Interesting male character based vampire books?

Hi, I'm have read the twilight series and that was what first peeked my interest for vampire fiction. I liked it a lot, but being a guy, I liked it more for the action and the special abilities and powers the vampires had. I have since been having a hard time finding more books in that genre that have more male lead characters. I have been reading the Joe Pitt Casebooks by Charlie Huston and they are great. I also read the Sookie Stackhouse novels and the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles. So I'm just looking for some book ideas that are more male based and in particular, where the vampires have abilities like super speed, strength, etc. That is what interests me the most, I get kind of bored of just regular people who happen to need to drink blood. I like the descriptiveness of vampires using there powers and what not. I don't even mind more romantic type books but I would want them to be from a male perspective. Anyway, if anyone has anything in mind that fits my criteria I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Re: Interesting male character based vampire books?

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Good suggestions TiggerBear!  I LOVE The Dresden Files series...it was my first, then I was hooked!

FYI though, Harry Dresden is a Wizard in this series but it's a good one, trust me.  :-)

You're also in for a treat...this month this forum is featuring Beneath the Skin by Adrian Phoenix...the main character is a vampire named Dante.  There are also fallen angel and the like, but the story line is so complex and intriguing...I guarantee you won't be able to put any of them down!  The first book is A Rush of Wings, then In the Blood, and Beneath the Skin is the 3rd. Her 4th is out in December 2010.

Happy reading!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Oh yeah...Anton Strout has a series - his character, Simon Canderous, isn't a vampire but he does have abilities.  :-)   First book is Dead to Me, then Deader Still...3rd book is out next month - Dead Matter.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

FYI though, Harry Dresden is a Wizard in this series but it's a good one, trust me.  :-)

True enough but he fights vampires often enough and then there is his.....

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

True enough but he fights vampires often enough and then there is his.....

Ah yes, very true...  :-)  Don't forget about the Fey as well!  This series really has it all!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

If you're looking for something unconventional – ie: original – I'd suggest Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt novels, J.F. Lewis' Void City novels and the Fat White Vampire stuff from Andrew Fox! All are exceptional!

Paul

Fat White Vampire Blues

Bride of the Fat White Vampire

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
VampireRanger
0 Kudos

My favorite Vampire series is by Brian Lumley. The vampires are able to morph shapes, use psychic powers and are just plain vicious.

Necroscope (Necroscope Series #1) 

This is book one. As the series progresses the vamps get tougher and the plot gets deeper.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Staked by J.F. Lewis

Ignore the cover. It is a "guy book."

The Vampire's Seduction by Raven Hart

Ditto. Often mis-filed in Romance, this is close in spirit to 1990's vampire fiction.

The Dracula Tape (Dracula #7)  by Fred Saberhagen

The granddaddy of vampire-based urban fantasy. Out of print, but should be easy to find.

Derek Tatum
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey I read more along the lines of romance but there is one romance series that has strong male vampires in it. A few of them have certain special powers and all of them are vampire warriors which means killing and action against a race that is out to destroy the vampire race. There is however sex scenes involved since it is romance after all. However the sex does not dominate the book, most of the books are about the fighting and the males are great when they are interacting together and their language is very male. lol if that even makes sense.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #1) 

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #2) 

Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #3)  

Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #4)

Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #5)  

Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #6)  

Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #7)  

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
New User
John_M_Grind
0 Kudos

Thanks for everybody who responded, you all mentioned some very compelling and interesting books I'm excited to check some of them out. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Grind

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

VampireRanger wrote:

My favorite Vampire series is by Brian Lumley. The vampires are able to morph shapes, use psychic powers and are just plain vicious.

This is book one. As the series progresses the vamps get tougher and the plot gets deeper.

Ooooooooh, this series looks REALLY good!  I'll have to check it out!!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

VampireRanger wrote:

Ooooooooh, this series looks REALLY good!  I'll have to check it out!!

Oh they are dark and grisley, but good. Even tough the series kind of drags in spots down the line.

New User
conradd
0 Kudos

what do u guys fink bou .. dance with devil by sherrilyn kenyon

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

conradd wrote:

what do u guys fink bou .. dance with devil by sherrilyn kenyon

Terrific book. The romance angle is there but it didn't put me off. There is a lot of action, mythology, and character development. Sherrilyn Kenyon has a solid male readership.

Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
Tm-Moore
0 Kudos

Written in Blood  , my 8th vampire book. My vampires are powerful but wise, and there is a lot of adventure in it. The sequel, Swords of The Dragon's Blood, is coming out soon.

Theresa M. Moore
Author of the Children of The Dragon vampire series and other fiction/nonfiction books http://www.antellus.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I definitely would suggest "Black Dagger Brotherhood series" by J.R. Ward.  The series is for Mature readers, but the books are totally OUTSTANDING.  There are 10 books in all, and each book is about the brothers in the brotherhood.  I was hooked reading the first book, and by the time I finished reading the 10th book, I find I want to read more.  The books are well written and they capture your attention and hold your captive throughout the books.  The books consists of each brother (Vampire) in the brotherhood.  They are warriors who defend their families and land against the Lessors.  Each book you read, takes you on a journey you don't want to end.  I found them very hard to put down, and found myself reading way into the early hours.  But, hey, what can I say.....when I am engrossed into a book it is hard to just say no.

Each of the characters in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series is unique...It would be hard to choose just one.

I would have to say that Wrath is my favorite character out of the series.  He is a Blind King and his character is so heart warming and scary all rolled into one.  He is the last pure blood vampire and has the most power.  I could keep talking and talking about the books....you have to read the series...you will not be disappointed.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.  ~Paul Sweeney

New User
KimberlyDavis03

You should check out The Black Dagger Brotherhood from J.R.Ward!! It's not only an awesome series, but they are a group of warriors!
New User
Wraungwai
0 Kudos

Ascension  Go try The Council of Lords: Ascension.  It's book 1 in a new series.  Two of the three main characters are guys.  Plenty of powers, action and enough romance to see why they do the things they do.  Women.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I totally agree....J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood is an AWESOME series to read. I am totally hooked on the series. I have read more than 200 books and the is on the top of my list.