paulgoatallen

JANUARY FEATURE #1: Ever After by Kim Harrison

• Ever After (Rachel Morgan Series #11)
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

Re: JANUARY FEATURE #1: Ever After by Kim Harrison

This – the 11th in Kim's 13-book Hollows saga – doesn't come out for a few weeks yet but I have a feeling it's going to be a blockbuster. One thing I'm kind of bummed out about – the reviews (below) all have Trent Kalamack (seemingly) playing an increasing role in Rachel's life.

Maybe it's just me but if Rach ultimately ends up with him, I think I'm going to hurl. This series cannot end that way......

Publishers Weekly
The 11th installment in the bestselling Hollows series (after A Perfect Blood) sees witch-turned-demon Rachel Morgan once again up to her eyeballs in trouble. The ley line she accidentally created has caused an imbalance between the worlds, causing the demonic realm of the ever-after to gradually shrink. If she can’t fix it, the ever-after will be destroyed and she’ll be killed. Meanwhile, her enemies are drawing her into a complex trap; her ex-boyfriend is working for the wrong side; and she’s sorting through complicated feelings for her old frenemy, elf Trent Kalamack. There’s a soap-operatic feel to this tale with so many plot threads, the exploration of Rachel’s messed-up love life, and a constant undertone of angst. With only two books to go in the series, Harrison is definitely moving pieces into the endgame—and removing some from the board altogether. The result is fast-paced and entertaining, but not exactly friendly to new readers. Agent: Richard Curtis, Richard Curtis Associates. (Jan.)

Library Journal

The ever after—the demonic world paralleling that of mere mortals—is in danger of disappearing, and it's witch-turned-daywalking demon Rachel Morgan's fault. She evidently caused a ley line to rip, and her life is forfeit unless she can mend her mistake. What's worse, the ever after's most powerful, soul-eating demon has the perfect plan for entrapping her: he's kidnapped her best friend and her goddaughter. Enter elven tycoon Trent Kalamack, who will join Rachel to save her loved ones—and the universe. With a one-day laydown on January 22, 250,000-copy first printing, and ten-city tour.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

Already ordered mine, can't wait!!!
HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

First of all... WWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!  :-D

I cannot wait until this book is released!!!

Paul?!  Really??  You don't like Trent that much?  I have to say I didn't like the idea of him and Rachel together either for the longest time, but in the last book or two he's kind of grown on me...and it really, really seems like Kim is heading in that direction.

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Paul?!  Really??  You don't like Trent that much?  I have to say I didn't like the idea of him and Rachel together either for the longest time, but in the last book or two he's kind of grown on me...and it really, really seems like Kim is heading in that direction.

Yeah, I know... I should like him but... there's just something so self-centered about him. I'm hoping that this book explore him a bit more – what makes him tick, why he is the way he is, etc.

Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger

Ho boy.  I am so excited for this.  It's awesome that we are getting this book a month earlier than unusual.  

Fangbanger

Also, Trent has really started to grow on me, but I really believe that Kisten was the love of Rachel's life.  I would be totally fine with Rachel ending up alone.  Why does she have to end up with someone to achieve her happily ever after? I think what Rachel needs is to continue down the path to self acceptance.  She has grown a lot in that department, but she still has some more growing to do. I feel the same way about Sookie.  It could just be the feminist in me, but I'd rather see Rachel and Sook single, but whole and happy, rather than just with someone because that is the expected thing.

paulgoatallen

Fangbanger wrote:

It could just be the feminist in me, but I'd rather see Rachel and Sook single, but whole and happy, rather than just with someone because that is the expected thing.

Agreed.

Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Yeah, I know... I should like him but... there's just something so self-centered about him. I'm hoping that this book explore him a bit more – what makes him tick, why he is the way he is, etc.

Have you read "Into The Woods"?

I loved the short story about Trent kidnapping his daughter!  Made him more likeable in my mind!

Fangbanger
0 Kudos

Aaaah, my copy won't be hear until Tuesday.  The waiting is killing me!!!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Fangbanger wrote:

It could just be the feminist in me, but I'd rather see Rachel and Sook single, but whole and happy, rather than just with someone because that is the expected thing.

Agreed.

Well coming from someone who is single (ME) and has been single for a long time...I hope their happy EA is WITH someone and not by themselves.  Being alone I don't personally feel whole and happy, so I think it's just a mater of opinion, lol.

paulgoatallen

Okay. This certainly was an interesting read....

Here are my thoughts (with no real spoilers!) – along with a few questions for you!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Explorations-The-BN-SciFi-and/Happily-Ever-After-With-Only-Tw...

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

This just showed up 2 days early!!  Woohoo!  Thank you Chapters/Indigo!!  Sorry B & N....I'm in Canada, lol.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Finished the book on Thursday....wow.  The difference from the beginning of the book to the end...  :-(

The very end was nice though...kind of what I was hoping for.  Also very sad about other things...really unexpected.  Can I post spoilers yet?? 

All in all pretty kick a$$ book!    Looking forward to see what will happen next.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:Can I post spoilers yet?? 

Post away, T – just warn us before you say something!!!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Great!  Okay then...this is what I'm upset about...

It's one thing to kill Pierce but Ceri as well???  AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!  :_(   And why wasn't there more closure to Ceri's death at least?  Like a funeral or something?  A little disappointed about that.  I'm going to miss her.  Here they were one big happy family at the beginning...then all split up at the end.  Crazy.

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

RESPONDING TO THE SPOILER!!!

Losing Ceri is killing me.  My husband is reading the book now and has not gotten that far so I can't even talk about it at home.  I hope we get some closure in the next book now that things have had a chance to calm a bit.  They were in such a tailspin that I do understand the "just keep swimming" effect.  Still, I would like to see the family get a chance to feel then heal the loss.  There is a good chance that we will get no closure. Kim never seems to give us much closure with death.  Oh, Kisten!      

paulgoatallen

MADIS wrote:

Losing Ceri is killing me.  My husband is reading the book now and has not gotten that far so I can't even talk about it at home.  I hope we get some closure in the next book now that things have had a chance to calm a bit.  They were in such a tailspin that I do understand the "just keep swimming" effect.  Still, I would like to see the family get a chance to feel then heal the loss.  There is a good chance that we will get no closure. Kim never seems to give us much closure with death.  Oh, Kisten!      

i think from a "tonal" perspective this was a fantastic move on Kim's part – the stakes are raised, the tone is decidedly darker, and I think the conclusion will be even that much more forceful now.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

paulgoatallen wrote:

MADIS wrote:

i think from a "tonal" perspective this was a fantastic move on Kim's part – the stakes are raised, the tone is decidedly darker, and I think the conclusion will be even that much more forceful now.

I dunno...she is losing so many people in her life...and even Ivy is moving on.  :-(   Would be nice to see things to improve for her.  Maybe it's coming soon??  The developements with the demons has been very interesting as well...thinking something may turn there also.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

SciFiCanuck wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

MADIS wrote:

I dunno...she is losing so many people in her life...and even Ivy is moving on.  :-(   Would be nice to see things to improve for her.  Maybe it's coming soon??  The developements with the demons has been very interesting as well...thinking something may turn there also.

I loved this book. It was hard not to read this thread but I wanted to finish the book. Ceri and Pierce really surprised me and I had no one to talk to. I just finished the book and I am definitely set up to see what is going to happen in the next book. I wonder if they all will get together to try to resurrect Ceri, just a thought there. Ceri was important to so many of the characters. Yes everyone does seem to be moving away from each other. Trent and Rachel, not sure what will happen there. And I am not sure how I would like their relationship to be.