Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: JANUARY FEATURE #1: Tempest's Legacy by Nicole Peeler

Melhay wrote:

I am SOOOOO excited to get into this one!  I've been looking forward to it for some time now.  I have my stack going for the month and this one is right there to dig into! :smileyhappy:

I didn't know if you all read any blog posts or anything but I have a few interviews you might like. :smileyhappy:  Susan, Cozy in VT talked me into posting the links here.  Paul, if it's not okay, please delete the comment. :smileyhappy:  Thank you!

Well, the interviews where with Ryu and Anyan. :smileyhappy:

If you would like to stop by here are the links, just click their name:

RYU

ANYAN

Melhay, I loved your interviews. They were a good addition to my reading the book. Great idea to share the link to your interviews here.

Inspired Correspondent
gsryley
0 Kudos

Melhay,  your interviews were great, so much fun:smileyhappy:

Thanks for sharing.

Melhay wrote:

I am SOOOOO excited to get into this one!  I've been looking forward to it for some time now.  I have my stack going for the month and this one is right there to dig into! :smileyhappy:

I didn't know if you all read any blog posts or anything but I have a few interviews you might like. :smileyhappy:  Susan, Cozy in VT talked me into posting the links here.  Paul, if it's not okay, please delete the comment. :smileyhappy:  Thank you!

Well, the interviews where with Ryu and Anyan. :smileyhappy:

If you would like to stop by here are the links, just click their name:

RYU

ANYAN

~Gail~
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.”
Groucho Marx

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Still, nobody here has the book! GRRRRRRRR

I could have WALKED to Ontario and got the book from their warehouse faster!  >:-(

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Thank you Pen & gsryley. :smileyhappy: Glad you both enjoyed the interviews.

I have my book, but have a few I have to read first.  I'm hoping all will go well and I'll be diving in toward the end of next week.  I have to get through this one!  I've loved these books thus far. :smileyhappy:

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I have my book, but have a few I have to read first.  I'm hoping all will go well and I'll be diving in toward the end of next week.  I have to get through this one!  I've loved these books thus far. :smileyhappy:

Your interviews were amusing and took a lot of time to create. Who do you find sexier, Anyan or Ryu? And, don't be influenced by Jane's perspective because it's pretty clear who's been portrayed as the more giving/altruistic of the two.

I hope you catch up on your reading. Thank god Christmas is behind us. Every year I think the same thing. I love the holidays but always feel grateful when the festivities are finally over.  

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Your interviews were amusing and took a lot of time to create. Who do you find sexier, Anyan or Ryu? And, don't be influenced by Jane's perspective because it's pretty clear who's been portrayed as the more giving/altruistic of the two.

I hope you catch up on your reading. Thank god Christmas is behind us. Every year I think the same thing. I love the holidays but always feel grateful when the festivities are finally over.  

I dunno with the holiday time and all the TV shows being on hiatus....I get more reading done around Christmas time, LOL!

Reader 4
Hooked_On_Vamps

I absolutely love the Jane True series. Nicole is a brilliant writer that never ceases to amaze me. I get all giddy just thinking about the next book, Eye of the Tempest.

Tempest's Legacy is full of all the humor I would expect and more. From the second paragraph I was howling with laughter. Who else could come up with stowing away a fish in your bra to save as a snack? I like that the book makes references to pop culture. The Southpark mention had me rolling. The whole book was filled with witty comments, snappy comebacks and the usual quirkiness that Jane True is known for. I, for one, absolutely love her.

Anyan, a super sexy barghest that Jane has the hots for, definitely caught my attention in this installment. He had even my libido purring. I loved the way their relationship unfolded, much to Ryu's dismay. All the problems between the barghest and baobhan sith still brought a smile to my face. I found it funny that Ryu was at such a loss when he noticed what was happening between Jane and Anyan. I was pleased that by the end of the book Jane had completely broke it off with Ryu and started forming a new intimate relationship with Anyan.

Jane is developing into quite a feisty little thing with her new found powers. I love that she is coming into her own as a force to be reckoned with. She really laid the smack down on the Alfar and it had me cheering for her. You go, girl! I am anxious to see how she will continue to develop and find a way to rid their world of the evil that is constantly pursuing her and everyone she cares about.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good hearty laugh with a big heaping tablespoon of action/drama and a little romance stirred in the mix. Be sure to check out the other books in this series by Nicole Peeler. You won't be disappointed.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Well still no TL books here, so I just ordered it from one of the kiosks in the bookstore in the mall here where I work.  Supposed to be 3-9 days so hopefully it won't be long.  Finished Mercy Blade so I decided to read book 1 of Vampire Empire: The Greyfriar.  Hopefully I will have it next week!!!!!

Frequent Contributor
0198lilly
0 Kudos

Paul, I wanted to thank you for your monthly book suggestions. I have read atleast 75% of your suggestions each month. I appreciate it. I have found many new series in the last year through this club. Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions and reviews as well.  Now, I finished all of Peeler's Tempest books and I agree that they are great. I love her humor and the "connections" between characters. Can't wait til the next one.

Although I lurk here atleast 2-3 times a week, I don't post often, but I love the rapport a lot of you seem to have. I plan to spend more time posting and less time lurking this year. I got a Nook for x-mas( I like books better but I am grateful-I'm running out of room) is there somewhere on here that I can go to "lend" my books to others? I don't mind allowing others to enjoy them as much as I have. What are your suggestions on this subject? Thank you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

0198lilly wrote:

Paul, I wanted to thank you for your monthly book suggestions. I have read atleast 75% of your suggestions each month. I appreciate it. I have found many new series in the last year through this club. Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions and reviews as well.  Now, I finished all of Peeler's Tempest books and I agree that they are great. I love her humor and the "connections" between characters. Can't wait til the next one.

Although I lurk here atleast 2-3 times a week, I don't post often, but I love the rapport a lot of you seem to have. I plan to spend more time posting and less time lurking this year. I got a Nook for x-mas( I like books better but I am grateful-I'm running out of room) is there somewhere on here that I can go to "lend" my books to others? I don't mind allowing others to enjoy them as much as I have. What are your suggestions on this subject? Thank you.

Aw, thank you so much for that, Lilly. I really do try crazy hard to find the best of the best each month – I've picked some "head scratchers" but I think overall that I've done pretty good!

As far as "lending" goes, I see this whole forum as one big lending pool – I mean, I'm not sending books all over the country but I've picked up hundreds of awesome suggestions here and now with Nook, it's even easier to check out books.

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Sarah3973

0198lilly wrote:

Hi there 0198lilly,

I spend a lot of time lurking as well, but have started posting more recently.  There seem to be some very smart, fun people on these boards.  I'm really enjoying it.  In fact, I'm spending more time here than on facebook lately:smileyvery-happy:   And I too am enjoying Nicole Peeler's Jane True series.  Jane KILLS me.  Especially her naughty little libido...

I also got a nook for Christmas (her name is Sookie :smileywink:...there is an entire thread out there about what you've named your nook and I couldn't resist!) Anyway, I've been loading it up with suggestions from Paul and some of the others.

Well, just wanted to say hi and that I hope you are enjoying your nook as much as I am enjoying mine!

Cheers,
Sarah

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
pen21

Sarah3973 wrote:

0198lilly wrote:

Hi there 0198lilly,

I spend a lot of time lurking as well, but have started posting more recently.  There seem to be some very smart, fun people on these boards.  I'm really enjoying it.  In fact, I'm spending more time here than on facebook lately:smileyvery-happy:   And I too am enjoying Nicole Peeler's Jane True series.  Jane KILLS me.  Especially her naughty little libido...

I also got a nook for Christmas (her name is Sookie :smileywink:...there is an entire thread out there about what you've named your nook and I couldn't resist!) Anyway, I've been loading it up with suggestions from Paul and some of the others.

Well, just wanted to say hi and that I hope you are enjoying your nook as much as I am enjoying mine!

Cheers,
Sarah

I got my nook a year ago. And I love the nook. I still buy 'real' books. But I really don't have a preference for 'real' books like I used to. There are certain authors and books that I prefer to buy the 'real' book. Paul will definitely keep us all reading. I love all the new authors I have found here.

paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

Just got a great email from Sharon Tancredi, the incredibly brilliant artist who does the Jane True Covers. She mentioned that she had to "tweak" the first cover because it was a bit risque and made Jane look young. Here are the two covers – first the cover that was published followed by the original. Which one do you like better?

Paul

Cover Image

Tempest

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

The original looks smooshed on the forum page. Here is the link!

http://www.sharontancredi.com/Portfolio%201/Site%20Folder/tempest.html

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

paulgoatallen wrote:

Ummmm....did anyone else notice the cover of Eye of the Tempest in the Portfolio 1?  Cause I'm kinda staring in awe and doing some muffle squeaking over it. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I love the (tentative?) cover art for Eye of the Tempest, 3mm!!!

Paul

Eye

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

It's very cool!  :smileyvery-happy:  Plus Sharon Tancredi, is an awesome artist!  If anyone gets a chance they should follow that link and browse her portfolios.  There is some really cool art.  Thanks for sharing it with us Paul!

pen21

I love the cover art for the Tempest books. Thanks for sharing the link Paul. Some great stuff here. I like the cover they ended up using for the first book. The differences are subtle. And it is the image engrained in my mind for Jane.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

I love the (tentative?) cover art for Eye of the Tempest, 3mm!!!

Paul

Eye

Jane doesn't look short/petite enough in this cover, but maybe that's due to picture distortion or maybe 'the Original' is short too. (The Orignal kind of hovered in Tempest's Legacy (Jane True Series #3) so I didn't get a sense of her size.) Looks like she and Jane will team up in the next book Eye of the Tempest. I really love the blond and dark girls together and framed by the octopus on the top and the coral scrolling at the bottom. And, the colors are very rich. I love Jane True covers. 

Thanks for finding this Paul.:smileyhappy: 

P.S. I also applaud Jane's sneakers and her more colorful, everyday wardrobe. 

P.P.S. Anybody remember Betty and Veronica from the 'Archie' comic books? The Original, (with her punky, spiked hair, tattoos and wife-beater), is pretty far removed from the pony tailed Betty, but the same sort of complimentary contrast is going on here.

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

ust got a great email from Sharon Tancredi, the incredibly brilliant artist who does the Jane True Covers. She mentioned that she had to "tweak" the first cover because it was a bit risque and made Jane look young. Here are the two covers – first the cover that was published followed by the original. Which one do you like better?

Paul

Cover Image

Tempest

I think they made the right choice, she does look a little young in the original cover.  Too bad I can't get Ms. Tancredi to design my next tattoo!

Thanks for sharing Paul!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown