Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: JUNE FEATURE #2: Kiss the Dead: An Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Novel by Laurell K. Hamilton

ThirstyFlea wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

I picked this one back up and I do feel more "immersed" in the storyline, although there are a few things I have minor problems with.

I am really amazed at how far this series has evolved since it first began – regardless of what the haters say, no other series EVER has been able to embrace, over time, so many different genre elements. It's pretty cool to envision Anita then and Anita now, as the Executioner.

Paul, pleeeeease finish the book and let us know what you think!! I'm dying here!! :smileytongue:

Writing the blog tonight! :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

Re: JUNE FEATURE #2: Kiss the Dead: An Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Novel by Laurell K. Hamilton

[ Edited ]

Here it is:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Explorations-The-BN-SciFi-and/In-LKH-s-21st-Anita-Blake-Novel...

And although I didn't mention Sin in the review, I didn't have (much of) a problem with the 12 year age difference. (I'm 11 years older than my wife, by the way.) It was kind of weird having him in high school but I think Anita initially reacted the same way I did.

And here's the thing – if this were a 30-year old guy contemplating a relationship with an adult female aged 18, there would be NO controversy whatsoever. Seriously.

This series has been a rollercoaster ride for me – I have really enjoyed some novels and have really been disappointed by some as well. But no one can argue the historical significance of the Anita Blake saga. This was THE series that paved the way for all of the other paranormal fantasy series. This was THE series whose phenomenal commercial success primed the pump for so many other genre-blending storylines.

I completely understand why some readers don't like this series, why it repels them – but, hey, if you don't like it, stop reading. Find the literary escapism that best suits you.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

paulgoatallen wrote:

Here it is:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Explorations-The-BN-SciFi-and/In-LKH-s-21st-Anita-Blake-Novel...

And although I didn't mention Sin in the review, I didn't have (much of) a problem with the 12 year age difference. (I'm 11 years older than my wife, by the way.) It was kind of weird having him in high school but I think Anita initially reacted the same way I did.

And here's the thing – if this were a 30-year old guy contemplating a relationship with an adult female aged 18, there would be NO controversy whatsoever. Seriously.

This series has been a rollercoaster ride for me – I have really enjoyed some novels and have really been disappointed by some as well. But no one can argue the historical significance of the Anita Blake saga. This was THE series that paved the way for all of the other paranormal fantasy series. This was THE series whose phenomenal commercial success primed the pump for so many other genre-blending storylines.

I completely understand why some readers don't like this series, why it repels them – but, hey, if you don't like it, stop reading. Find the literary escapism that best suits you.

I love your last paragraph Paul!  :-)  I completely agree.

I've read about a quarter of it and it's been really good so far.  She jumped right into the fire with this one from page one, LOL!  Usually LKH builds up to a case...I like the change.  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen

I read this one last week but never made it back here to post my thoughts. Overall I liked the book. It wasn't one of my favorites but it was on the better end. LKH seems to have shifted the timeline forward a bit for this book. Last I remembered Sin had just moved to St Louis and in this one I think he's been there for a year. I feel like I missed a big chunk of time but on the other hand it's nice to have everyone settled into their spot in her life, even if Anita still isn't comfortable with it all. I like how Anita's made peace with her lifestyle and and stopped hiding it from the cops closest to her, like Dolf and Zerbrowski. And yet she still struggles with what she views as conflicting identities. Paul quoted part of it in his blog.....can she still be a cop with everything else going on in her life. It would really be interesting if she decides that the answer really is no! I almost hope it is no....that could turn into some wild times. **************SPOILERS*************** I was shocked when JC decided to send Asher away. I don't know if I want him to stay away or come back. He hasn't had that big of a part in the last few books, and when he does show up he's causing problems, but still they kept Richard around. If anyone needed the boot it was him. So do you think LKH is trying to thin out the group lovers by sending Asher away? Think he will end up coming back? And what's up with Larry?? When he jump on the Anita hate wagon?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

FaeryQueen wrote:
I read this one last week but never made it back here to post my thoughts. Overall I liked the book. It wasn't one of my favorites but it was on the better end. LKH seems to have shifted the timeline forward a bit for this book. Last I remembered Sin had just moved to St Louis and in this one I think he's been there for a year. I feel like I missed a big chunk of time but on the other hand it's nice to have everyone settled into their spot in her life, even if Anita still isn't comfortable with it all. I like how Anita's made peace with her lifestyle and and stopped hiding it from the cops closest to her, like Dolf and Zerbrowski. And yet she still struggles with what she views as conflicting identities. Paul quoted part of it in his blog.....can she still be a cop with everything else going on in her life. It would really be interesting if she decides that the answer really is no! I almost hope it is no....that could turn into some wild times. **************SPOILERS*************** I was shocked when JC decided to send Asher away. I don't know if I want him to stay away or come back. He hasn't had that big of a part in the last few books, and when he does show up he's causing problems, but still they kept Richard around. If anyone needed the boot it was him. So do you think LKH is trying to thin out the group lovers by sending Asher away? Think he will end up coming back? And what's up with Larry?? When he jump on the Anita hate wagon?

The whole Asher thing had the feel of a "spin-off" series, which, well, could be AWESOME! Can you imagine a sequence of novels revolving around asher alone in a new city as Master?

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

paulgoatallen wrote:

FaeryQueen wrote:

The whole Asher thing had the feel of a "spin-off" series, which, well, could be AWESOME! Can you imagine a sequence of novels revolving around asher alone in a new city as Master?

FaeryQueen- thanks for bringing up the deal with Asher... he has been acting like a pedantic little so-and-so every time he's got a part in the books. I'm not sure LKH is trying to cut down on Anita's lovers- I would think she would do that to a more peripheral guy than Asher, especially with his background with JC. Richard is just a jerk, but I think he hasn't been booted because he's JC's animal to call and just simply can't go away...

And yeah, what is going on with Larry?!? I had actually almost forgotten about him, but man, that was a huge blow to see that attitude change, for sure. 

Paul- love the idea of Asher getting a spin-off! He kind of deserves it. And you notice how they never mention which city they're sending Asher to? I thought that was weird... I think Richard would make a good spin-off as well, now that I think about it. Two of the biggest jerks in Anita's life! Do you think LKH would do spin-offs? She hasn't thus far... 

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger

Paul, I really loved your review, it really encapsulated my feelings about the Anita Blake series.  It was like you were in my brain.  I completely agree with your comments about how if Anita were a man, he sexual escapades wouldn't be an issue.  People who hate on the series for the sexual elements will say that is not the issue, but that is hard for me to believe.  If Anita were male, none of their arguments would really hold water.  I think people have a huge problem with Anita's evolving ideas of sexuality and especially love.  I think what bothers people a lot is that she challenges this idea that you can only be in love withe one person at a time.  *deep breath.  climbs down off of soapbox*

I completely agree with you all about the Asher situation.  He has been being a douche for like the last six books.  He claims to learn his lesson, they make considerations for him and a few weeks later he is back to the same old possessive jerk face.  I would love to read a novel or short story even detailing his time away.  I have to agree that I was surprised that JC (actually, LKH) pulled the trigger and actually had him go.  I would have bet anything that something would have happened towards the end that would have caused Anita or JC to allow him to stay.  I loved that htey actually made him face the consequences of his actions.