Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Re: JUNE FEATURE #2: The Breaking by Marcus Pelegrimas

[ Edited ]

M_Pelegrimas wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

P.S. I noticed a few editing glitches. I'm no stickler but one or two times the narrative skipped like a scratched record on me. Note, they were very minor and in no way affected the story for me. The worst one occurs when Bill (a Skinner) gets hit in the head and presumably killed via Paige's sickle thrown by Liam on page 382, but then on page 383 Bill is alive again and firing a shotgun at the in-coming gargoyle flock.

Oh MAN!! That is too funny. I'll tell ya, writing those huge action scenes is a lot of fun, but very taxing. I'm certain this is one of those times when I meant to write someone else's name instead of Bill. Either that, or I decided to skewer his head earlier, moved the section around and that one little piece got left behind. The sad part is that I edited the manuscript several times, my main editor at EOS read it, a copyeditor read it and one more final editor read it through before it was printed and bound. We all missed that!! DOH!!

Oh well. Chalk it up human error.

As for the battle with Liam, he was in prime fightin' shape when he took down that plane. By the time he, Paige and Cole face off at the end, he's at the end of a grueling fight, disoriented from certain events (not trying to give TOO many spoilers or is it too late for that?) and accumulating wounds from Skinner weapons which don't heal in the same amount of time as other weapons. And....the sun was in his eyes. Heh.

Ya know, you could perhaps benefit from a reading group--I know I would have caught those errors, and I believe PGA would too!:smileyhappy:

I do appreciate your candor about the whole thing though. But, better that they never occur again. Hint, hint…

P.S. I understand the rationale behind Cole's ability to face down Liam, (not giving away any spoilers here). I'm not just talking about superman strength. I'm talking about physics--pure physical mass. Liam should have been able to toss Cole aside.  

P.P.S. I know it's fantasy, but there's this rational part of my brain that knows the only way kill something the size of a pickup truck or bigger is to send it over a cliff or something similar. Once Paige showed and did what she did, it became plausible. But, until then, it just wouldn't happen that way given Liam's physical mass as opposed to Cole's physical body. What is Cole anyway, about 185 pounds?  

Author
M_Pelegrimas

dalnewt wrote:

Ya know, you could perhaps benefit from a reading group--I know I would have caught those errors, and I believe PGA would too!:smileyhappy:

I do appreciate your candor about the whole thing though. But, better that they never occur again. Hint, hint…

P.P.S. I know it's fantasy, but there's this rational part of my brain that knows the only way kill something the size of a pickup truck or bigger is to send it over a cliff or something similar. Once Paige showed and did what she did, it became plausible. But, until then, it just wouldn't happen that way given Liam's physical mass as opposed to Cole's physical body. What is Cole anyway, about 185 pounds?  

Writers are supposed to catch those things. Editors are supposed to catch them too. Sometimes mistakes slip through, however, no matter who reads something. What can I say? It happens.

I'm not the one to go back and forth with the nitty gritty "would this seriously really happen" sort of thing because my answer is no. It wouldn't seriously happen. Myth and magic trumps reality. That's why it's so much fun to read and write about it. I write genre fiction because I prefer to put a good portion of the rational part of my brain on pause. Life's more fun that way. I'm not smart enough to figure out the physics of how much force is required to push and pull real objects and I wouldn't want to write about the stuff that's left over after factoring out all of the impossible elements. I've always enjoyed writing Skinners as a modern legend where mortal men and women can stand toe to toe with savage beasts and win because they're crazy enough to keep fighting. I get plenty of real physics every time I grunt when standing up or ache after falling down. :robotvery-happy:

"The skulls...the bodies...you give it all such a glow. I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"
dalnewt
0 Kudos

I really liked the notion of an unbeatable supernatural creature--a force of nature if you will. Plus, I like Burkis even though he's killed and don't really want to see him or the new Full Blood destroyed. Because of those two things, I questioned the showdown more than I ordinarily would. It was a great showdown, very dynamic with clever twists.    

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

I finally started reading this yesterday!!  :-)  Fricken Rico!! GRRRRRR

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

I finished this one last night. It was outstanding!!! This book is the best so far IMO. The action never stopped. I am so glad I finily read this series.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

jgmme wrote:

I finished this one last night. It was outstanding!!! This book is the best so far IMO. The action never stopped. I am so glad I finily read this series.

And I'm glad to finally have you aboard! Glad you enjoyed it. Things are really heating up for the series and so far it seems to be getting a good reception. It's gonna be a wild ride!

"The skulls...the bodies...you give it all such a glow. I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

I just posted my reader review but for some reason it isn't registering with the book yet. Hopefully it's just a delay glitch on the B&N web site. Of course I gave the book five stars. I'm going to also post my review in the New and Recommended thread so those who are unfamiliar with the series get some exposure to it.

Thrilling and Satisfying

This fifth installment is the most action-packed, compelling and imaginative to date. Something is coming called the "Breaking Moon." The Full Blood werewolves are suddenly becoming more powerful, and two Full Bloods, the cockney Liam and a newly introduced female, have created an army of horribly twisted Half-Bloods and descended upon a small town in Oklahoma.

Cole, (the male protagonist in the series), is stolen out of the federal prison system by a splinter group of Skinners intent upon investigation all the properties of the vampire tendrils that continue to encase his organs. Imprisoned in a secret Skinner facility, Cole is mercilessly tortured to discover the limitations of the tendrils' healing abilities.

Unaware of Cole's predicament, Paige, (the main female character in the series), is concentrating on discovering and dismantling the mastermind who planned the Nymar scheme to set up Skinners as cop killers. Unfortunately, Kawosa, legend to be the original shapeshifter, uses his mind control abilities to separate her from the one remaining free Skinner she trusts. Then, she learns about Cole, but is diverted to Oklahoma, in the company of European (gypsy) monster hunters, who are intent on investigating the Full Bloods. At that point everything explodes, including the gypsies' plane which is ripped out of the sky by the Full Blood Liam.

The narrative features clever plot twists, full scale battles, intriguing Full blood mythology and truly imaginative supernatural creatures. This book delivers one of the best paranormal action stories I've read. I highly recommend this series and this latest book!

P.S. I just discovered what the problem is on the B&N web site. Apparently paperback and e-book reviews aren't registering in the both places. (It might be for the best because it's probable that some e-book reader, disgruntled by the comparable e-book price, rated the e-book poorly. There's been a rash of that sort of thing happening lately.) The paperback shows only one rating--my five star one, and my reader review.

Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

I just posted my reader review but for some reason it isn't registering with the book yet. Hopefully it's just a delay glitch on the B&N web site. Of course I gave the book five stars. I'm going to also post my review in the New and Recommended thread so those who are unfamiliar with the series get some exposure to it.

-------------------

Thanks!!! I really appreciate it. Every little thing that can be done to spread the word helps a lot. And when the word is that good...spread it twice! :robotvery-happy:

paulgoatallen

Okay I was saving this one for the end of the month so I had something to look forward to. I've loved every single Skinners novel so far and I was hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed with this one. Here are my rambling thoughts (below) .... agree?

Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Explorations-The-BN-SciFi-and/The-Very-Best-Paranormal-Fantas...

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
M_Pelegrimas

paulgoatallen wrote:

Okay I was saving this one for the end of the month so I had something to look forward to. I've loved every single Skinners novel so far and I was hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed with this one. Here are my rambling thoughts (below) .... agree?

Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Explorations-The-BN-SciFi-and/The-Very-Best-Paranormal-Fantas...

I DEFINITELY agree!!! Heh. Seriously, though, thanks for the great write-up.