Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

JUNE FEATURE #2: The Breaking by Marcus Pelegrimas

Cover Image
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Re: JUNE FEATURE #2: The Breaking by Marcus Pelegrimas

[ Edited ]

I'm impatiently waiting for the

Breaking (Skinners Series #5) to come in. This is the best monster hunter series being written today. I can't wait to read it! 

Author
M_Pelegrimas

Hey everyone! As always, I'm grateful to be here. The Breaking marks plenty of changes in the Skinner-verse and some monumental shifts for its characters. In this one, I attempt to change the landscape of the entire series as well as the people within it. Cole and Paige are taking on more than just a "threat of the week" sort of thing. Their entire world is shifting. Old alliances are cracked. New ones are forged. Dogs and cats, living together. MASS HYSTERIA!!!

In other words, tons of fun!!!  Enjoy. I look forward to discussing with you all.

Marcus

"The skulls...the bodies...you give it all such a glow. I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

And once again...   ~JUMPS UP AND DOWN~  I am soooooooooo excited to read this one as well!!  Going to be a great month!  :-D

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
dalnewt

I just picked up Breaking (Skinners Series #5). :smileyhappy:

All my other UFs can wait--I'm starting this tonight!:smileyvery-happy:

Author
M_Pelegrimas

dalnewt wrote:

I just picked up Breaking (Skinners Series #5). :smileyhappy:

All my other UFs can wait--I'm starting this tonight!:smileyvery-happy:

Now THAT'S what I like to hear!! Enjoy

"The skulls...the bodies...you give it all such a glow. I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

GAH!!!  Nobody on my side of the city has this book!  >:-(  Guess I've got to make a trek tomorrow!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Well they got 1 copy in close to where I live on Friday...got a hold and picked it up Saturday.  YAH!  25% off sale so I got 4 others as well, LOL!

Only problem is, Hit List will be arriving Wednesday hopeuflly so I'm just going to finish up with Eternal Rider and then it's onto Hit List.  The Breaking will have to wait just a little bit.  *sigh*  :-(  The planets just weren't aligned for me to get this book sooner....

dalnewt

It's a good story, full of twists. New players join the old; Paige and Rico are set-up by Kawosa; and, Cole is in a hopeless situation. There's something coming called 'the Breaking'.  Mr. Burkis laves the new full blood in the custody of a lone Skinner in Kansas because 'the Breaking' is coming.

I'm on page 104 and Cole is being 'tested' by a mysterious Skinner organization that stole him out of the federal prison system. He's being 'tested' (tortured) after being continually operated upon to investigate his remnant tentacles. These people are totally ruthless.

Further, I still don't know much about this other quasi-military organization Paige made a deal with. They operate above the system, but they lost Cole. She just found out. 

Inspired Correspondent
gsryley
0 Kudos

I'm so excited this book is finally out there, only it's not 'out there' here in my neck of the woods.:smileysad:   All but one bookstore is within a 25 mile radius.  I try to support the store, but they just don't have all the new releases I want.  Anyway...

I finally gave up and ordered it online. Now I'm checking the mail box daily till it gets here:smileyhappy:

I can't wait till i can catch up with Paige & Cole.

~Gail~
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.”
Groucho Marx

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

gsryley wrote:

I'm so excited this book is finally out there, only it's not 'out there' here in my neck of the woods.:smileysad:   All but one bookstore is within a 25 mile radius.  I try to support the store, but they just don't have all the new releases I want.  Anyway...

I finally gave up and ordered it online. Now I'm checking the mail box daily till it gets here:smileyhappy:

Yeah that does suck...  :-(  But at least you can get the books cheaper online!  :-)  AND they are delivered right to your door!

Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

gsryley wrote:

At least the internet is good for somethin'! Oh...and book clubs :smileywink:

Also, I've been resisting the whole ebook thing for some time, but recently made the jump. There has been books I can't find either and I don't like waiting around for special orders. There's ordering for home delivery, but it's pretty cool being able to download to a reader.

Author
M_Pelegrimas

dalnewt wrote:

It's a good story, full of twists. New players join the old; Paige and Rico are set-up by Kawosa; and, Cole is in a hopeless situation. There's something coming called 'the Breaking'.  Mr. Burkis laves the new full blood in the custody of a lone Skinner in Kansas because 'the Breaking' is coming.

I'm on page 104 and Cole is being 'tested' by a mysterious Skinner organization that stole him out of the federal prison system. He's being 'tested' (tortured) after being continually operated upon to investigate his remnant tentacles. These people are totally ruthless.

Further, I still don't know much about this other quasi-military organization Paige made a deal with. They operate above the system, but they lost Cole. She just found out. 

Yeah, I thought it was finally time to shake things up in a major way. I never wanted this series to be one of those "bad guy of the week" things and it never made sense for everything to be successfully kept a secret when there's so many monsters running around. Guess it's my fault for making all those monsters, huh?

Hopefully, Paige is redeemed in readers' eyes throughout this book. She had a rough time of it last time around.

dalnewt

M_Pelegrimas wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

Yeah, I thought it was finally time to shake things up in a major way. I never wanted this series to be one of those "bad guy of the week" things and it never made sense for everything to be successfully kept a secret when there's so many monsters running around. Guess it's my fault for making all those monsters, huh?

Hopefully, Paige is redeemed in readers' eyes throughout this book. She had a rough time of it last time around.

Paige rocks in this installment so far! She's the one doing most of the fighting, and her actions with respect to Cole are sufficiently explained IMHO! I'm on page 240, and it's a miracle Paige has survived this long. Well, I guess the mongrel shapeshifters had something to do with it.

The introduction of this quasi-military Inhuman Response Division is a good idea. No way can the remnant of the Skinners prevail against both the Nymar and the congregating Full Bloods. Nonetheless, the IRD's loss of Cole isn't a good sign in terms of the efficiency of that organization. At best they lost Cole, at worst they handed him over for experimentation. 

The scenes featuring Cole are also very compelling, but some are difficult to read. And, those vampiric tendrils encircling Cole's organs are really repulsive. They give Cole a survival edge, but they make him crave blood.

I really love the way the mythology of Full Bloods is expanded in this book. They really are forces of nature. And, I'm glad I finally know what a 'breaking' means, and what the night of the 'Breaking Moon' signifies. 

Author
M_Pelegrimas

Glad to hear you're liking it so far! It's a tough balance to strike when I'm trying to decide what questions to answer, what characters to revisit or what plot threads should be extended. Of course I'd like to get to them all, but that would be a MUCH longer book and after this one (the longest manuscript I've ever handed in) my editor kindly requested me to rein it in a little. Can't say as I blame him. More for future books!

dalnewt
0 Kudos

I am liking it--almost finished despite the length!

This book just keeps accelerating. It's jumps from one desperate situation to the next.

This fifth book has the most action of any book in the series so far!

P.S. Love your take on gargoyles--very imaginative! 

Author
M_Pelegrimas

dalnewt wrote:

P.S. Love your take on gargoyles--very imaginative! 

Thanks! I was really pumped about the gargoyles. Anyone who I talked to while I was writing this one got an earful about them. Glad to see it landed with someone.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You're really a genius at putting entirely new twists on established mythological/supernatural creatures. The gargoyles are just the newest addition. Personally, the unstoppable Full
Bloods are my favorites. IMO, they are the boogeymen that make this series really rock. Don't get me wrong, I love the other entities too! The Nymar are despicable and devious, and the Shadow Spore Nymar are scary. The Half-Bloods are deliciously horrible. The mongrels are weird and fanciful. And, the strip-club nymphs are unique and entertaining.

Among the creatures/critters I found the gargoyles to be a bit more unique that the chupes. Note, I don't have a firm fix on the Shunkaws--bigger than a dog or a wolf, but narrower in the shoulder than a bear with needle teeth--I just can't fully envision them.  

Note, I finished! It is the most action-packed book yet! Great book! The showdown with Liam was excellent although it did strain the credibility of the series, A Full Blood, with basically Superman strength, could have twisted off Cole's hands, arms, head or torn his entire body in half.  Shadow spore tendrils or no, a Full Blood that can tear a wing off a plane can tear any other living thing in half. But it was excellent action!

I'll take awhile to collect my thought before I post about the entire story again. I certainly intend to write a reader review.

P.S. I noticed a few editing glitches. I'm no stickler but one or two times the narrative skipped like a scratched record on me. Note, they were very minor and in no way affected the story for me. The worst one occurs when Bill (a Skinner) gets hit in the head and presumably killed via Paige's sickle thrown by Liam on page 382, but then on page 383 Bill is alive again and firing a shotgun at the in-coming gargoyle flock.

Inspired Correspondent
gsryley

Whooo Hooo:smileyvery-happy:  Just got the book in the mail.  Now to do all my chores so I can crack the cover and read.  All the chatter here on the board along with needing to know what happened to Cole and what Paige was thinking has me excited to get started. 

~Gail~
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.”
Groucho Marx

Author
M_Pelegrimas

dalnewt wrote:

P.S. I noticed a few editing glitches. I'm no stickler but one or two times the narrative skipped like a scratched record on me. Note, they were very minor and in no way affected the story for me. The worst one occurs when Bill (a Skinner) gets hit in the head and presumably killed via Paige's sickle thrown by Liam on page 382, but then on page 383 Bill is alive again and firing a shotgun at the in-coming gargoyle flock.

Oh MAN!! That is too funny. I'll tell ya, writing those huge action scenes is a lot of fun, but very taxing. I'm certain this is one of those times when I meant to write someone else's name instead of Bill. Either that, or I decided to skewer his head earlier, moved the section around and that one little piece got left behind. The sad part is that I edited the manuscript several times, my main editor at EOS read it, a copyeditor read it and one more final editor read it through before it was printed and bound. We all missed that!! DOH!!

Oh well. Chalk it up human error.

As for the battle with Liam, he was in prime fightin' shape when he took down that plane. By the time he, Paige and Cole face off at the end, he's at the end of a grueling fight, disoriented from certain events (not trying to give TOO many spoilers or is it too late for that?) and accumulating wounds from Skinner weapons which don't heal in the same amount of time as other weapons. And....the sun was in his eyes. Heh.