Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss

Re: Join the YA Revolution!

Just bought City of Ashes. Got the recommendation of these from Entertainment Weekly. They had an article on YA books when the Hunger Games movie was being released.
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Melissa Marr is one of my favorite YA writers! I was going to recommend these as well.
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss

Turning 55 next week, so I had to smile reading these posts!  My local librarians know me well, so I can look for YA books there without feeling like I have to look over my shoulder.  :smileytongue:  I also subscribe to Entertainment Weekly, which has a very good book reviews section!  Probably 50% of my new book list is from there, and I am rarely disappointed.  I also look for books that are turning into movies.  There is a big glass-fronted display case in the theater I work in, so I am constantly looking for early material to collect for a possible display.  Twilight and Hunger Games came to my attention this way; I read them long before most of the teens I know. :smileyhappy:  The director/producer Ridley Scott has optioned a book called "Dust Lands: Blood Red Road" by Moira Young.  It was published in 2011, but I found it this year in Walmart's bookshelf!  Two pages of great reviews interested me, and the book did not disappoint!  Young is on my list of authors to follow.  

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

luciadelabyss wrote:
Just bought City of Ashes. Got the recommendation of these from Entertainment Weekly. They had an article on YA books when the Hunger Games movie was being released.

LOVE LOVE the Mortal Instruments series! Did you read City of Bones first?? First 3 are stellar, the fourth was ho hum, but the 5th was great too!

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

I just started the Storm (Brigid Kemmerer's Elemental Series #1)  after this series was strongly recommended by a lot of people. So far so good, I"m really enjoying it! I did read the prequel Elemental  first, too. I mean, who wouldn't enjoy reading about 4 hot brothers who control elements? :smileywink:

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Wake by Amanda Hocking came out last week. I am loving this new series of hers. It is hard to put down and I had company this weekend. I just saw that this is a YA book, but I am quite a bit older than that and loving it.

Wake (Watersong Series #1)  

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

pen21 wrote:

Wake by Amanda Hocking came out last week. I am loving this new series of hers. It is hard to put down and I had company this weekend. I just saw that this is a YA book, but I am quite a bit older than that and loving it.

Thanks for pointing this one out! I'm not really into mermaid books, but this one looks pretty good- I'm intrigued by the synopsis, and you saying that you loved it made me put it on my TBR list :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

ThirstyFlea wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Thanks for pointing this one out! I'm not really into mermaid books, but this one looks pretty good- I'm intrigued by the synopsis, and you saying that you loved it made me put it on my TBR list :smileyhappy:

Be sure to let us know what you think of the book. It is a quick read or I thought so anyway. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss

yes, I did read Bones first. My grown son picked it up when he was bored one day, and then asked when I was getting the next ones! I had them on hold at my local bookstore! He finished them before I did. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

There was a good tv series about mermaids that my son found, filmed in Australia. I think it had H20 in the title...found it on Netflix.
Frequent Contributor
MichelleMuto

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only older adult who reads YA. I sometimes feel a bit odd browsing the shelves at B&N. Our library is small, so I don't feel quite as awkward there. I think having an ereader makes it so much easier to just buy an ebook and read whatever you'd like - and the instant gratification of buying it without driving to the store is even better. I like downloading samples and reading them at my leisure, too.

The Book of Lost Souls Being a teen witch has never been more fun. Or trouble.
Don’t Fear the Reaper Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me...~Emily Dickinson 17-yr-old Keely Morrison finds that death isn't any easier than life.
New User
christen_

Hey everyone! I am 25 and I still love reading YA books. I read a lot of different books but I always go back to some good YA books. I am currently reading Coexist: Keegan's Chronicles by Julia Crane. It is my first time to read a book about elves so this is already a great read for me. :smileyhappy:

Coexist  

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm currently reading Death and the Girl Next Door  

because I think I would ready anything this fab author writes!! 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

I just finished 

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy Series) .

I love her Elemental Assassin series and I'm enjoying this one just as much. Aside from just loving the story, I love how she throws in little references that tie in to the Elemental Assassin series, like the main character wishing she could go to the Pork Pit to eat. :smileyhappy: