Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
_KimHarrison_

Re: !!!KIM HARRISON IS HERE!!!

dalnewt wrote:

When did Rachel scrape that unbalanced line through Reality?

Further, as I've been able to understand it, the ley lines run from the everafter to reality and back again. But, from Al's conversation with Rachel it seems like she unbalanced everything when she created a ley line from one point in reality to another point in reality? Do I have it right? And, why would such a line impact on the everafter?

The Trent thing really bothers me because he's just so callous when it comes to innocent lives.

I have one further question:

Why does Rachel save Ku'Sox? He a psychopathic murderer who eats souls. Confining him to the everafter will just result in him eating the souls of familiars and other demons. Plus, Al hates him and considers him a huge mistake. So why save him? 

Hi Dainewt.

Rachel scraped a line through reality when she jumped to Loveland Castle, and she only unbalanced her line, not all of them.  As for why did it unbalance everything, see my answer above.  

Why did Rachel save Ku'Sox?  I'm not in the habit of justifying my character's actions, but why should she kill him if she can banish him to the ever-after permanently?  I'm sorry you disagree with Rachel's choices, but it is what it is.

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Ms. Harrison love you books and the latest was just fantastic. I want to heartily thank you for keeping Jenks alive. I'm not sure I could bare it otherwise.

A few questions

Have you considered  writing within the Hollows universe, a separate book series? It truly is one of the best within the genre.

Would you or Paul mind mentioning all your author pseudonyms?

Love the small Ivy spin offs, going to have to pick up the latest. Ever considered one with Al?

Hi TiggerBear.  Thanks!  I'm so glad you are enjoying the books.  I have considered a spinoff, and I still might do that.  Time will tell, and I've got some space to play with.

I wrote two series under the name Dawn Cook.  They are traditional fantasy, with slower pacing and a small cast.

A story with Al?  Sounds good to me!  ;-)

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

Re: !!!KIM HARRISON IS COMING!!!

dalnewt wrote:

_KimHarrison_ wrote:

... I can feel the urging in me to want to write a different way, a shift in style or technique that I can't do in the Hollows framework.  That's the reason that I'm planning on ending the series at 12-13.  I want to keep growing as a crafter of stories, and I need to break from the Hollows to do it.  I've ended series before, and I'm not afraid to start with a beautiful blank page of possibilities.  The next series might be Hollows related, it might not.  I've got time to fall in love again.

I just wondered what books/authors you've read that really inspired and/or impressed you? I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm really curious about the authors/books you like/love to read.

Hi Dainewt.

Mmmm, I really enjoyed Bram's Child Thief.  It was very lyrical.  Most of my favorite authors are not producing anymore.  

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

heyteahlisten wrote:

Hi again! I've already asked a question, but then thought of another.  Will Al forgive Rachel for not coming right back and saying she is ok?  Will he try to make her live in the ever after with claims that he still technically won their agreement?  How will the other demons react to her being ok?  Does Newt continue to be nice to Rachel?  What happened to Ku'sox when he got to the ever after? And, this is the last I promise, will the two worlds collide thanks to Rachel?  Please and Thank you so much for being here and answering all our questions!  Love you! And your wonderful books! 

-Teah

OMGosh, Heyteahisten.  Those are all major spoilers!  -laugh-  You're just going to have to wait!  ;-)

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

keeleyD wrote:

Hi Kim!     I loved, loved, LOVED Pale Demon. It is definitely my favorite of the series!!!  While reading the book, I felt there were numerous similarities between Trent and Al. After Rachel makes the construct and wakes up, Al is wearing black shirt and pants. After Rachel wakes up after her soul was in the bottle, Trent is wearing black shirt and pants. She was out of it for three days in both instances. Both are worried about her vulnerability. Both scuff their feet a lot(whats with that?), gaze up at the ceiling(something up there?). My question is, is this coincidence or is there something more or am I just reading too much into it? Lastly, THANK YOU for taking all of us readers along on your magic carpet ride into the Hollows. Looking forward to the next book.

Hi Keeley.  Thank you!  I'm so glad that you enjoyed Pale Demon.  Mmmm.  I didn't notice the clothing similarity.  Huh.  The three days is just because I like three.  The rest might be placed at the feet of both men not knowing how to treat Rachel, things shifting in both their heads.

I hope you like the next one!

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

Lizzy_Funk wrote:

Greetings,

*potential spoilers*

I wanted to express to you how much I enjoyed Pale Demon.

The relationship between Ivy and Rachel really made the book for me.

My favorite scene was there they had what I called (in a blog review) the big girl talk, I could feel the emotion within the conversation, within the words, and I had tears in my eyes when 'listening' to Ivy simply tell Rachel she knew they were done forever.

I look forward to more books, more amazing scenes, and more Hollows.

Double H

Thank you, Double H.  I'm so glad you liked the read.  That scene was hard for me to write, but Ivy is of the belief that if you love something, set it free . . .

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

entropyrulez wrote:

Have you considered doing any stories about Jenks from the time he left the farm to before his first meeting with Rachel? We would love to read more about the life of Pixies.

By the way, my wife is wondering what she will do once the series ends. She was very uspet to find that book 12 or 13 would be the end. The Rachel Morgan books are what actually made her want to read again.

Hi Entropyruez.  Mmmm, that's a good idea.  Maybe if I need to touch on something in his past.

Tell your wife I'll have a new bunch of entertaining characters to torment for her.  -laugh-  I'm so pleased that she's been enjoying the books so much.  Thank you!

New User
KittySL
0 Kudos

This is the most moving and poignant part of the book for me, and I am still debating exactly how Ivy meant this, and what will happen later in the series. Does she mean that she is just finally convinced that the romantic connection will never, ever be there, or will Vampiric Charms completely disband, Rachel or Ivy leave the church, Ivy become more immersed in the vamp lifestyle??? When Ivy left so soon after Rachel came to, I wondered if that was because of the things she talked about in this scene, or if she just really needed a break after so much tension.

Author
_KimHarrison_

paulgoatallen wrote:

Kim, does music play an integral role in your writing process? If so, what kind of music do you generally listen to?

Paul

Hi Paul.  It does when I'm developing worlds or characters, which is why my music page was really busy a few years ago, but it's slacked off dramatically lately.  I use music to free my subconscious just that last little bit, to make that jump of thought.  Lately it's been quiet in my office since I have a good handle on the world and the people in it.  However, having said that, I'd like to add that now that I'm thinking about starting another series, I find that I've been turning my music back on as I search for the soul of the next world I will create.

New User
KittySL
0 Kudos

I thought I was replying to the post about Ivy and Rachel's talk, not the whole thread. oops.

Author
_KimHarrison_

paulgoatallen wrote:

"According to Al, the ever-after was a broken reality, unable to stand on its own, and was being dragged along behind ours, connected to and kept alive by the ley lines. Energy flowed like tides between them, preventing the ever-after from vanishing and giving the alternate reality a broken visage. It was a reflection of reality but shattered..."

There's a paltable sense of existential and spiritual questioning in your Rachel Morgan novels – finding one's place in the world, trying to maneuver through life's moral minefields, etc. – has your personal spiritual or existential journey played a significant role in your writing?

Paul

Paul

Hi Paul.  Of course!  That's what writers do!  ;-)  I'm always trying to find my place, to see how everything relates to the next thing.  That's not to say that everything that Rachel is investigating is the same thing that I am, but we share the same drive to explore.

Contributor
heyteahlisten
0 Kudos

Well dang.  Oh well, all good things come with time. :smileyhappy:  Thanks

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

ferretvamp14 wrote:

***SPOILER****

Thank you so much for stopping by. I love The Hollows series! I met you last year in Atlanta. I was wearing the Team Kisten, Even In Death shirt with a painted burning bunny on back. Pale Demon kept me turning the pages well past my bedtime. Of course at every mention of Kisten's name I got teary, but I am coming around to Trent.

In the coming books will we see the development of Trent and Rachel's relationship and her involvement with the future of the elves? Little Lucy was a huge shock to me. I didn't see that coming at all. I was so proud of Trent for taking care of Rachel when Bis brought him to her. That kiss was hot! Thanks for a wonderful series.

Hi Ferretvampt  Thanks!  I'm so glad that you're enjoying the books.  I remember you!  That was very distinctive.

Trent will be in the books from here on out, yes.  What happens after that is up to them.  ;-)  Lucy was a shock to me, too.  I didn't see her coming until Trent walked in the door. 

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

KittySL wrote:

Kim,

Either I lost a thread somewhere even though I have read the books, or I missed a short story. What was Ivy talking about when she mentioned being sealed in the room in the tunnels that Rachel closed up.

I love the books! I got to meet you at a signing in Charlotte and was tickled. :smileyhappy:

Hi Kitty.  Thanks!  I'm so glad that you're enjoying the books.  They are too much fun to write.  

Ahh, I'm not sure what you're referring too.  Ivy was never sealed in any room, especially the one that Rachel sealed Kisten's murderers behind.  Sorry!  ;-)

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

FaeryQueen wrote:

Kim - We missed you in Charlotte this year!!  I was a little sad that for the first time, I couldn't get my book signed on release day....so I consoled myself with ordering the T4 tomato & Al's Butterfly charms for my charm bracelet.  :smileywink:

Did people in St Louis give you any flack about destroying the arch?  LOL

I just finished the book and as usual couldn't put it down!  The scenes with Rachel in the ley line and Bis taking her to Trent had me bawling.  Good thing I didn't get that far while at work!  I know a lot of fans have been wishing for Rachel and Trent to get together, but I don't know......Do you have someone in mind for her?

We haven't seen much from Ceri lately.  I've always like her character.  Will she play a bigger role in upcoming books?  Will we get to 'see' the baby? 

Hi FaeryQueen.  

I missed Charlotte, too!  Maybe next year.  I'm so glad you enjoyed the read, and no!  I got no flack in St. Louis.  -grin-

I do have someone in mind for Rachel, but I've been showing her nice men for a while, and she is having a hard time getting over Kisten.  I WILL have my happy ending, though.  ;-)

Ceri was out because she was pregnant, and I couldn't bring myself to hurt her.  Now that she's not anymore, we'll see more of her.  And yes, you'll get to see the baby.  ;-)

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

KittySL wrote:

This is the most moving and poignant part of the book for me, and I am still debating exactly how Ivy meant this, and what will happen later in the series. Does she mean that she is just finally convinced that the romantic connection will never, ever be there, or will Vampiric Charms completely disband, Rachel or Ivy leave the church, Ivy become more immersed in the vamp lifestyle??? When Ivy left so soon after Rachel came to, I wondered if that was because of the things she talked about in this scene, or if she just really needed a break after so much tension.

Hi Kitty.  It was hard for me to write, too.  It was going to be a parting of the ways, but Rachel managed to hold it together, and the status quo is holding.    I think that Ivy is going to appreciate the break in tension, and it will give Rachel a chance to think.  The next few books will tell the story.

Distinguished Correspondent
KennaS

Hi Kim.

I dont have any questions, I just wanted to tell you that I very much enjoyed the series thus far. I had a mini stroke at the end of Pale Demon because the way it was written, it could have been the end of the series with very little stray threads to have snipped up. I actually ran to your website to check to see if it was indeed the end of the series. Its my favorite book so far.

I also wanted to tell you that I cant read Al scenes without thinking about The Warden from the Cartoon Network show Superjail. I have only watched it a few times because the show itself is like a cartoon acid trip HOWEVER...The Warden is pretty much Al.  http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/12858000/ngbbs466a71cdb0055.jpg

Anyway, thanks for answering the same questions that Im sure that youve been asked 210 thousand times and doing it with a smile! I personally would get tired of that!:smileyvery-happy:

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Kim,

I frequent your Drama Box, so I will leave the questions to other people.  I just wanted to say Hi and sorry I missed you this year in Cincy.  I am originally from the area, but couldn't make it up there due to recent surgery.  Blah.  I did enjoy reading Pale Demon!  I am a huge Trent fan.  :smileyhappy:

I bough my best friend the first two books in the Hollows series so I can talk to her about the wonderful world of Rachel and Co., but she gets so mad at me b/c I keep telling her she reads to slow!  LOL. 

Once again, thank you.  I can't wait for your next releases this year and of course the next Hollows book. 

P.S. I loved the comment earlier in the thread about someone bringing you Skyline Chili, I love that stuff.  My dad sends me some for my B-day every year!!!!

Amanda in Tampa

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

_KimHarrison_ wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

When did Rachel scrape that unbalanced line through Reality?

Further, as I've been able to understand it, the ley lines run from the everafter to reality and back again. But, from Al's conversation with Rachel it seems like she unbalanced everything when she created a ley line from one point in reality to another point in reality? Do I have it right? And, why would such a line impact on the everafter?

The Trent thing really bothers me because he's just so callous when it comes to innocent lives.

I have one further question:

Why does Rachel save Ku'Sox? He a psychopathic murderer who eats souls. Confining him to the everafter will just result in him eating the souls of familiars and other demons. Plus, Al hates him and considers him a huge mistake. So why save him? 

Hi Dainewt.

Rachel scraped a line through reality when she jumped to Loveland Castle, and she only unbalanced her line, not all of them.  As for why did it unbalance everything, see my answer above.  

Why did Rachel save Ku'Sox?  I'm not in the habit of justifying my character's actions, but why should she kill him if she can banish him to the ever-after permanently?  I'm sorry you disagree with Rachel's choices, but it is what it is.

I don't disagree with Rachel's decision to allow Ku'Sox to live, I just couldn't understand it given his twisted/destructive/murderous nature.

But, Rachel always tries to avoid causing the death to any sentient creature, so I guess it would have been out-of-character for her to allow Ku'Sox to perish. 

Thanks for all your answers and patience. 

New User
LexisJackson
0 Kudos

Hi Kim

First, I want to start by saying that you are an amazing writer and I LOVE the Hollows series.  As other fans have posted, I too feel sad when I'm done with one of your books because I miss the characters as if they were my friends that are now gone.  That’s because you are such a great writer, we feel so connected to the characters, especially Rachel.

My question is that with technology like Computer-generated imagery (CGI) and the improvements in computer-animated movies have you ever considered making the series into movies, either animated or regular?  If a movie company asked, would you do a movie?

Thanks