Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

Re: Let the Right One In motion picture – A Vampire Classic?

Paul,

What was the take on your crime drama crew's take  on "Let the Right One In."  Did they see it as a crime fiction?  I was not contacted by an irate editor so I guess she/he took this choice ok, yes?  

lily   

Dude, Where's My Book!
Frequent Contributor
Ivonne
0 Kudos

I heard that the movie is available on DVD in March. Is this true?

This is a new book club that meets at the Barnes & Noble in Worcester, MA the third Saturday of every month. They have cool monthly giveaways! They have a new forum waiting for new people to post about their favorite authors. www.bookreadertimes.com

The book that they are reading for March is Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Ivonne wrote:

I heard that the movie is available on DVD in March. Is this true?

This is a new book club that meets at the Barnes & Noble in Worcester, MA the third Saturday of every month. They have cool monthly giveaways! They have a new forum waiting for new people to post about their favorite authors. www.bookreadertimes.com

The book that they are reading for March is Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Release date March 10th.

(runs around cheering like a silly idiot)

Frequent Contributor
BendTheDark
0 Kudos

I can't wait to get a copy! It's look fantastic!
-Lilith Grimm

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
"Space tells matter how to move, matter tells space how to curve."
Frequent Contributor
BendTheDark
0 Kudos

So I couldn't wait for a copy, I just went and saw it.

I have to say, it had me going. It really did. The movie was just.. Wow. You hardly see good ones like this. It is definitely a classic, and I can't wait to read the book! I have to confess, this has been titled as one of my favorites, and that title doesn't go around easily! 

(Spoiler Alert)

I do have a question, the foreshadowing at the end reminded me of the way Eli touched the cheek of her care taker, in an earlier scene. Was he like Eli in the beginning? Young and caring, until he got old and died? I didn't get if he was a fatherly figure or a past lover; his reaction to her caress in the earlier scene was questionable.

-Lilith Grimm

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
"Space tells matter how to move, matter tells space how to curve."
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

BendTheDark wrote:

(Spoiler Alert)

I do have a question, the foreshadowing at the end reminded me of the way Eli touched the cheek of her care taker, in an earlier scene. Was he like Eli in the beginning? Young and caring, until he got old and died? I didn't get if he was a fatherly figure or a past lover; his reaction to her caress in the earlier scene was questionable.

The book makes his role clear, and it is not pretty.

Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Forgive my laziness in not looking for the book thread (I know there is one somewhere), but I saw today that the sequel to te book is due out in a couple of weeks. The title is Handling the Undead. I'm not sure when it releases here.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

"Handling the Undead" is not a sequel, but I can't wait to read it. It is sort of Lindqvist's take on zombies.
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:
"Handling the Undead" is not a sequel, but I can't wait to read it. It is sort of Lindqvist's take on zombies.

Well, good grief -- I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

lilithesquee wrote:

Paul,

What was the take on your crime drama crew's take  on "Let the Right One In."  Did they see it as a crime fiction?  I was not contacted by an irate editor so I guess she/he took this choice ok, yes?  

lily   

Lily:

Geez, sorry about not replying to your post! I was just re-reading this thread and realized I had never  responded – the answer is that I never did get to use this book, which stinks! Oh well, I guess I can't have everything go my way....    :smileysad:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thanks for the reply.  I am astounded that you can keep up with all the threads at all, so no problem about the delay.  Anyway, thats a shame.  Their loss. Did you ever see the film now that its on disk?

Lily 

Dude, Where's my book!
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

I knew there was discussion going on about this movie, so when I had a chance to pick up the book,  I grabbed it. My original plan was to read it after I had read the April books and finished up a few others, but I read the first couple of pages and all my plans changed. This was a masterful work. I am going to try to find the book thread and read everyone's comments there and here as well. Haunting story and characters.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
TiggerBear

A note to any of you still looking to get a copy of this movie. Get the new release, the earlier release the english subtitles we set on American stupid. The new release has that and a direct translation into english version of subtitles. Much better. The cover a little different it's the brighter image of the girl.
Author
markhenry

Watched this one the other night and was blown away.  The young actress that played Eli pulled off something I haven't seen since Kirsten Dunst in Interview, she managed to project old age in such a subtle way.  My agent asked what my favorite thing about the movie was and though I was creeped out and nearly cheered during the climactic pool scene, I was most intrigued by how the filmmakers nailed the act of predatory grooming.

Good stuff.

Mark 

Zombie smut for the massesROAD TRIP OF THE LIVING DEAD, in stores now from Kensington Books. Visit the author at his horribly inappropriate website.
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
A note to any of you still looking to get a copy of this movie. Get the new release, the earlier release the english subtitles we set on American stupid.

Tig:

"American stupid" – I love that!   :smileyhappy:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:
A note to any of you still looking to get a copy of this movie. Get the new release, the earlier release the english subtitles we set on American stupid.

Tig:

"American stupid" – I love that!   :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Ah can't take credit. My husband said it.

Frequent Contributor
Shootydog

If anyone is interested this movie is available on Netflix via DVD rental or online streaming.  I watched it from my Xbox360 two nights ago and enjoyed it immensely. 
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein