Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
metalg1rl
0 Kudos

Looking for book recommendations

Hi all... I'm new to the board and I'm almost done with the latest series I've been reading. I'm really into the whole vampire genre (have been since the Interview with a Vampire movie came out in 94). Anyway if someone could recommend some good series, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've read (18) books since Thanksgiving and I'd hate to stop now :smileywink:

What I've read so far:

Twilight series

Mortal Instruments series (book 4 doesn't come out til 3/2011)

House of Night series (book 5 doesn't come out til 4/27/2010)

Vampire Academy series (I'm starting book 4 and book 5 will come out 5/18/2010)

Elphame's Choice - I wasn't terribly fond of this one, so I doubt I'll pick up the next book

Thanks in advance for your recommendations

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for book recommendations

dalnewt
0 Kudos

metalg1rl wrote:

Hi all... I'm new to the board and I'm almost done with the latest series I've been reading. I'm really into the whole vampire genre (have been since the Interview with a Vampire movie came out in 94). Anyway if someone could recommend some good series, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've read (18) books since Thanksgiving and I'd hate to stop now :smileywink:

What I've read so far:

Twilight series

Mortal Instruments series (book 4 doesn't come out til 3/2011)

House of Night series (book 5 doesn't come out til 4/27/2010)

Vampire Academy series (I'm starting book 4 and book 5 will come out 5/18/2010)

Elphame's Choice - I wasn't terribly fond of this one, so I doubt I'll pick up the next book

Thanks in advance for your recommendations

I can think of a few series/books as follows:

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress Series #1) 

There's three other books so far. They are: Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress Series #4) At Grave's End (Night Huntress Series #3) One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress Series #2) . There's also an spinoff book entitled:First Drop of Crimson .

This series features a human/vampire woman who hunts vampires and the master vamp who teaches her and falls in love with her.

The spinoff book features another romance between a vampire and a human

Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer Series #1) .

This series has three other books in the series so far and features a woman raised by vamps who breaks away and then is pulled back in because of her heritage as a Sybil who can time travel and change the past. There's vamps and mages in the stories and eventually the heroine develops a romantic relationship with a master vamp. The other books are:Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer Series #2) Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer Series #3) Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer Series #2) Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer Series #4)  

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Note, there's alot of vampire fiction but the books I recommended above heavily feature romance and have adventure/action. There's also: 

Archangel's Kiss 

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter Series) .

These book feature a human feamle hunter, a lethal but gorgeous archangel and underling angels and created servant vamps. It primarily has a romantic focus but also offers adventure.

Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque

I notice most of the books you brought up are YA sort of.  Following that trail you might like

Strange Angels 

The Forest of Hands and Teeth  

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels Series #1)  although forest of hands and teeth is about zombies, and vamos are part of the other two but not necessarily central. 

I found all of them pretty enjoyable .  They are all the first books in series.

Dude, Where's my book!
Inspired Correspondent
PinkPetunia

[ Edited ]

lilithesque wrote:

The Forest of Hands and Teeth  

I love this cover. Is it my imagination, or have the YA covers in this genre really gotten good lately? I mean, compared to the concept we discussed earlier on another thread that there seems to be a lot of same-old same-old covers in the adult para/UF lately?

Annie Melton
Contributor
ScarletRibbons
0 Kudos

This one is a game changer. Highly original.Cara Mia - Book One Of The Immortyl Revolution  

Contributor
ckirsten
0 Kudos

You should check out the Most Popular Series list on FictFact.com. It has tons of great series you would probably enjoy.

I recommend the Black Dagger Brotherhood seires by J.R. Ward or the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian.

http://www.fictfact.com - Track your fiction book series
New User
metalg1rl
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations... hopefully it will hold me til summer - LOL. I've been finishing books about every 3-4 days :smileyhappy:

I bought Blood Promise (the 4th book of the Vampire Academy series) and went ahead and picked up Night World and Halfway to the Grave. I snuck a peek through the Halfway to the Grave book... I think I'm going to like that series.

Although I'm 

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations... hopefully it will hold me til summer - LOL. I've been finishing books about every 3-4 days :smileyhappy:

I bought Blood Promise (the 4th book of the Vampire Academy series) and went ahead and picked up Night World and Halfway to the Grave. I snuck a peek through the Halfway to the Grave book... I think I'm going to like that series.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

metalg1rl wrote:

Although I'm 

If you're looking for an action-packed series with a love triangle that's appropriate for young adults, then you couldn't find a better series than the 'Hunger Games'. The protagonist Katniss, is intelligent, resourceful, cynical and goodhearted. The supporting characters are appealing; and, the story is simply mesmerizing. these books not only appeal to the younger set, adults love em too. There's action and gut-wrenching scenes. Here are the links to the books which make up the series so far:

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1) 

Catching Fire (Hunger Games Series #2) 

Mockingjay (Hunger Games Series #3) 

This book will be release later this year.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen

Have you read any LJ Smith? There's the Vampire Diaries series and the Nightworld series if you like Vamps.  The Secret Circle series is about witches and the Dark Visions series is about psychics (and a psychic vampire).

Now, I know you said you're a big vampire fan, but I just read Shiver, which has an interesting take on Werewolves and found it to be very good.

Shiver 

This isn't YA, but Soulless is a hysterical Vampire and Werewolve Steampunk Urban Fantasy.  I so want her hat...

Soulless 

~Suzi