Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74

Re: men writing novels featuring female protags

paulgoatallen wrote:

Okay, that said, I also wanted to throw out the topic of male authors writing from a female perspective. I haven't seen this too much in my reading – the last example I can think of was Earl Merkel's mystery, Virgins and Martyrs, and although I liked the overall storyline, I thought his female narrative voice wasn't "authentic" at times. Mark's female narrative voice is spot on. For example: "...there was no way I was subjecting vintage Galliano to the inquisition of plastic lawn chairs; the creases would be unmanageable."

I'm wondering how much female input Mark has because the believability factor is completely solid throughout – and also, how hard is it to write from a female perspective?

Paul

Paul,

I was wondering the same thing because as I was reading Road Trip I was thinking of how spot on Mark was with Amanda's character.  She is totally believable as one of those "snotty" kinds of girls and it was actually a hoot to read.  I remember thinking that Mark must have some amazing women to draw off of because it was so spot on, if I hadn't known the author was a man I wouldn't have been able to tell if this has been written by a female writer.

Books...Never leave home without them
Author
markhenry
0 Kudos

Hey y'all!

Sorry I stepped out for a couple of weeks.  Got back from the Paranormal Bender Tour last Monday and promptly got sick, just coming out of the fugue now.  And all that right in the middle of a deadline!

Anyone interested in a tour recap can check out my blog. We're also hosting ZOMBIERAMA at the League of Reluctant Adults, all this week.

Any more questions?

Zombie smut for the massesROAD TRIP OF THE LIVING DEAD, in stores now from Kensington Books. Visit the author at his horribly inappropriate website.
0 Kudos

Re: MARCH FEATURE #3: Road Trip of the Living Dead by Mark Henry

Darn. I wanted to read this in time for the discussion, realized there was no way I could make it ... and I missed all the fun. By far the most interesting discussion I have witnessed in a long time. Thanks everyone who participated. Please keep this thread available for a time. Intriguing. Useful. And fun. I feel like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

markhenry wrote:

Any more questions?

Mark:

I think I asked you this last year so if I did, please forgive me.

Ever contemplate writing something not only outside of the Amanda Feral storyline but outside of the genre altogether?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
markhenry
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:
Darn. I wanted to read this in time for the discussion, realized there was no way I could make it ... and I missed all the fun. By far the most interesting discussion I have witnessed in a long time. Thanks everyone who participated. Please keep this thread available for a time. Intriguing. Useful. And fun. I feel like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

You still have time!!!!

Zombie smut for the massesROAD TRIP OF THE LIVING DEAD, in stores now from Kensington Books. Visit the author at his horribly inappropriate website.
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

markhenry wrote:

Any more questions?

Mark:

I think I asked you this last year so if I did, please forgive me.

Ever contemplate writing something not only outside of the Amanda Feral storyline but outside of the genre altogether?

Paul 

Why it's funny you should ask.  I'm working on co-authoring a screenplay (with another urban fantasy author) that has no paranormal elements, but lots of kink and violence, and there's a collection of humorous essays in my future, if I could just get my deadline under control.  But up next is a proposal for a YA paranormal that's a mix of The Lovely Bones and Mission Impossible, with ghosts who possess the living and the dead (I can never stray too far from zombies).  They've even found there insidious way into The Dark Rites of Joe Barkley (the spec book about the impotent incubus).

So, lots on my plate.

0 Kudos

markhenry wrote:

You still have time!!!!

Hey, thanks Mark! I promise that if I cannot read it before the end of March, I will definitely still purchase it. The premise is too unusual not to investigate.

PenelopeTX
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Hey Mark, I just went over and read last year's Happy Hour thread. I think you mentioned that you were already writing book 3? Is that true? When is it available?
PenelopeTX
Author
markhenry
0 Kudos

Hi Penelope,

Yep. In fact, I just got a look at the preliminary cover of Battle of the Network Zombies, which I turned in back in July and it's definitely a departure from the covers of Happy Hour and Road Trip.  Right now, I'm waiting for a response on my proposal for books 4 and 5 in the series. Cross your fingers.

Mark

0 Kudos

markhenry wrote:

Hi Penelope,

Yep. In fact, I just got a look at the preliminary cover of Battle of the Network Zombies, which I turned in back in July and it's definitely a departure from the covers of Happy Hour and Road Trip.  Right now, I'm waiting for a response on my proposal for books 4 and 5 in the series. Cross your fingers.

Mark

Mark:

I L-O-V-E the title of your newest! Battle of the Network Zombies.... Perfect!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky