Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
PhantomGhost
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-29-2010

NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

[ Edited ]

Everyone, I need new horror books for my shelf.  What new horror books are out there?  What is recommended?  I truly do need you guys to assist me in where I can find the next best horror book(s) -  past, present, future. 

 

Free to assist me in compiling a list?  I don't care how big the list gets - I can never have enough books in this genre.  In advance, Thanks guys!  Thanks Paul!

Contributor
VickiMasterMind
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎05-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

[ Edited ]

Straight out the gate PhantomGhost! - > new horror that are must-gets are below.  And yes, this is only the beginning...more recommendations to come.  Here they are!!!

 

 

- I read Encounter at North Road House - I find this one to be a supernatural horror story about a "Michael Myers character type" who violently forces his way into a house that is haunted by wicked spirits, creatures, and ghosts.  This book centers around a masked psychopath who terrorizes a small county, taking many lives.  As the story developes, the masked killer goes out looking for more victims.  After a short while, he finds another house to make his next attack on.  When he enters this particular house, he is not aware that this house is actually haunted.  The house is haunted, and evil ghostly spirits lock him in and then the dark forces go to war with each other!  This one right here is very good.  Without a doubt, this is something that must be read this year.

 

 

 

 - I am currently reading Under the Dome by Stephen King - In Stephen King's mesmerizing new novel, a Maine town is subject to the imposition of an impenetrable dome that isolates its citizens from the world.  Shortly before noon, on October 21st, the small Maine town of Chester's Mill is abruptly separated from the outside world by an invisible, semipermeable barrier of unknown origin. The immediate appearance of the barrier causes a number of injuries and fatalities.Under the Dome Final.jpg

 


AND OF COURSE-> I will read A Dark Matter by Peter Straub - ...after he invites his most fervent followers to attend a secret ritual in a local meadow, the only thing that remains is a gruesomely dismembered body—and the shattered souls of all who were present.  A Dark Matter is an electric, chilling, and unpredictable novel that will satisfy Peter Straub's many ardent fans, and win him legions more.A Dark Matter by Peter Straub: Book Cover

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
Posts: 1,336
Registered: ‎09-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

[ Edited ]

 

 

Dark Hollow by Brian Keene

 

The best traditional horror novel I've read in a decade.

 

 

Soultaker by Bryan Smith

 

A warped, warped mind.

Derek Tatum
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

 My favorite horror novel is

Ghost Road Blues. It is the start of a really good horror trilogy followed up by

Bad Moon Rising 

and Dead Man's Song. Right now another Maberry book is on my TBR list entitled Patient Zero. It's followed up by The Dragon Factory, and both are suppose to be action-packed.  Also, Brian Keene is a stellar horror writer. In addition to Dark Hollow recommended above, there's his really well known zombie literature starting with the classic horror book entitled

The Rising. I've read at least three of his zombie books, (nobody does zombie horror like Keene), but have to really pace myself because the yuck factor and hopelessness of most of his scenarios. In addition, I really enjoyed Brain Lumley's  three Vampire World books entitled 

Blood Brothers (Vampire World Series #1),

Last Aerie (Vampire World Series #2) and

Bloodwars (Vampire World Series #3). Note, Lumely's Vampire World series was preceded by his famous Necroscope seres which I found to be dense and a bit more cerebral but still very good horror.     Furthermore, if you want to read really good fiction which offers a terrifying werewolf monster carried inside of an unforgettable and gruff protagonist, then get

The Wolfman. I loved this book which really does go beyond horror but offers a truly terrifying monster.    

 

Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
Posts: 74
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

This one I like.  Add this PhantomGhost

Get me a book and ship em' to me :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

PhantomGhost, here is another very good book in horror.  Also, add this one too.

 The Haunting of Hill House

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson: Book Cover

Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
Posts: 74
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?


MrsWaki wrote:

PhantomGhost, here is another very good book in horror.  Also, add this one too.

 The Haunting of Hill House

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson: Book Cover


This one is also an excellent choice!

Get me a book and ship em' to me :smileyhappy:
Contributor
PhantomGhost
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?


Mrbooks wrote:

MrsWaki wrote:

PhantomGhost, here is another very good book in horror.  Also, add this one too.

 The Haunting of Hill House

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson: Book Cover


This one is also an excellent choice!


 

The haunting of hill house looks good...thx!

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?


PhantomGhost wrote:

Everyone, I need new horror books for my shelf.  What new horror books are out there?  What is recommended?  I truly do need you guys to assist me in where I can find the next best horror book(s) -  past, present, future. 

 

Free to assist me in compiling a list?  I don't care how big the list gets - I can never have enough books in this genre.  In advance, Thanks guys!  Thanks Paul!


House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski: Book CoverHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski: Book CoverHere you go

 

House of Leaves

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

[ Edited ]

 


MrsWaki wrote:

PhantomGhost wrote:

Everyone, I need new horror books for my shelf.  What new horror books are out there?  What is recommended?  I truly do need you guys to assist me in where I can find the next best horror book(s) -  past, present, future. 

 

Free to assist me in compiling a list?  I don't care how big the list gets - I can never have enough books in this genre.  In advance, Thanks guys!  Thanks Paul!


House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski: Book CoverHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski: Book CoverHere you go

 

House of Leaves


 

YES! You have got to read this book!

 

Come on how many book have you read that made a rock star do an album for it.

 

Haunted [Bonus Track]

  

 

True it's his sister.

 

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

So cool


TiggerBear wrote:

 


MrsWaki wrote:

PhantomGhost wrote:

Everyone, I need new horror books for my shelf.  What new horror books are out there?  What is recommended?  I truly do need you guys to assist me in where I can find the next best horror book(s) -  past, present, future. 

 

Free to assist me in compiling a list?  I don't care how big the list gets - I can never have enough books in this genre.  In advance, Thanks guys!  Thanks Paul!


House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski: Book CoverHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski: Book CoverHere you go

 

House of Leaves


 

YES! You have got to read this book!

 

Come on how many book have you read that made a rock star do an album for it.

 

Haunted [Bonus Track]

  

 

True it's his sister.

 


 

Correspondent
southrnbella
Posts: 137
Registered: ‎06-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

house of leaves sounds amazing and wicked...i just bought it

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?


southrnbella wrote:

house of leaves sounds amazing and wicked...i just bought it



southrnbella wrote:

house of leaves sounds amazing and wicked...i just bought it


 

..very good choice, you did well there

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

 I love Poe – Hello  is one of my all-time favorite albums.

 

Paul

 

 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
Posts: 74
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?


paulgoatallen wrote:

 I love Poe – Hello  is one of my all-time favorite albums.

 

Paul

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Paul, can you explain what you mean here?  Is this a book?

Get me a book and ship em' to me :smileyhappy:
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

 


Mrbooks wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

 I love Poe – Hello  is one of my all-time favorite albums.

 

Paul

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Paul, can you explain what you mean here?  Is this a book?


 

 

We were discussing House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and how the singer Poe (aka Anne Decatur Danielewski) is his sister. And I commented on how her first album Hello is one of my favs....

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
KerryPaltone
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?


paulgoatallen wrote:

 


Mrbooks wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

 I love Poe – Hello  is one of my all-time favorite albums.

 

Paul

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Paul, can you explain what you mean here?  Is this a book?


 

 

We were discussing House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and how the singer Poe (aka Anne Decatur Danielewski) is his sister. And I commented on how her first album Hello is one of my favs....

 

Paul


 

I didn't know that Paul!!  Wow!!

New User
GutterVamp
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?

As a couple of people have already mentioned, Brian Keene's a great go-to guy for horror.  He's got a real love of the genre, and it shows in his writing.

 

For my money (or blood), I REALLY recommend his Ghoul novel... a bunch of kids get into it with a graveyard ghoul back in 1984.  It's a fun, gruesome read, and probably my favorite Keene book thus far.

 

 

Ghoul

  

 

 

Hollywood Vampires -- Sex, Blood, & Rock 'n Roll
www.hollywoodvampires.net

Mary Jane -- A Novel of Small-Town Horror
maryjanenovel.wordpress.com
Frequent Contributor
WendyLBastaltane
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?


GutterVamp wrote:

As a couple of people have already mentioned, Brian Keene's a great go-to guy for horror.  He's got a real love of the genre, and it shows in his writing.

 

For my money (or blood), I REALLY recommend his Ghoul novel... a bunch of kids get into it with a graveyard ghoul back in 1984.  It's a fun, gruesome read, and probably my favorite Keene book thus far.

 

 

Ghoul

  

 

 


I'm hooked already  - thx

Contributor
KerryPaltone
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEED Horror Books to READ!! Recommendations?


WendyLBastaltane wrote:

GutterVamp wrote:

As a couple of people have already mentioned, Brian Keene's a great go-to guy for horror.  He's got a real love of the genre, and it shows in his writing.

 

For my money (or blood), I REALLY recommend his Ghoul novel... a bunch of kids get into it with a graveyard ghoul back in 1984.  It's a fun, gruesome read, and probably my favorite Keene book thus far.

 

 

Ghoul

  

 

 


I'm hooked already  - thx


 

This book right here was about that fantastic