Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Re: NOVEMBER FEATURE #1: Howling Legion by Marcus Pelegrimas

Alrighty, I started reading last night...didn't get far though, I'm barely into chapter one.... Page is beating the crap outta poor Cole.  LOL

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Alrighty, I started reading last night...didn't get far though, I'm barely into chapter one.... Page is beating the crap outta poor Cole.  LOL

I'm sure he had it coming. Heh

"The skulls...the bodies...you give it all such a glow. I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SciFiCanuck wrote:

That's another great example of how Marcus has "flipped" the conventions of fantasy. A few decades ago, it would've been the male lead who was the butt-kicking fighter and the female who was the "non-athletic," weak one.  I love how Paige is so strong and so focused and so dominant and how Cole is trying so hard to be her equal...
Also, how many of you just assumed that there would be a major romantic element between the two?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

I love how Paige is so strong and so focused and so dominant and how Cole is trying so hard to be her equal...
Also, how many of you just assumed that there would be a major romantic element between the two?

Paul

I really like strong female characters. What I see too much of are characters who are strong female leads just because the writer says they are (whether it's a book, movie or TV show). They talk tough, but don't act like fighters. Paige is a warrior, which means she may not be sweet and may not be fun to be around. And most importantly, I try to never have her talk "cute". Precious, cutesy dialogue coming from a character that's supposed to be a badass drives me crazy! I want her to walk the walk.

With Cole, I try not to make him wimpy compared to her. He's still learning. There's not a whole lot of time between books so he can't be the ass kicker yet. He's coming along though.

"The skulls...the bodies...you give it all such a glow. I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

M_Pelegrimas wrote:
I really like strong female characters. What I see too much of are characters who are strong female leads just because the writer says they are (whether it's a book, movie or TV show). They talk tough, but don't act like fighters. Paige is a warrior, which means she may not be sweet and may not be fun to be around. And most importantly, I try to never have her talk "cute". Precious, cutesy dialogue coming from a character that's supposed to be a badass drives me crazy! I want her to walk the walk.

With Cole, I try not to make him wimpy compared to her. He's still learning. There's not a whole lot of time between books so he can't be the ass kicker yet. He's coming along though.

Marcus:

I agree. And on that same thought thread, both Paige and Cole are extraordinarily three-dimensional characters. They're not just cardboard figurines being directed through an action/adventure by the author. Talk a little about this if you will – how important is creating fully realized, "authentic" characters to you? and how has your work in other genres contributed to your strength of developng characters?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
M_Pelegrimas

paulgoatallen wrote:

Marcus:

I agree. And on that same thought thread, both Paige and Cole are extraordinarily three-dimensional characters. They're not just cardboard figurines being directed through an action/adventure by the author. Talk a little about this if you will – how important is creating fully realized, "authentic" characters to you? and how has your work in other genres contributed to your strength of developng characters?

Paul

Working in other genres has been a great help in this aspect. With horror and paranormal stuff, I draw from a certain pool of mythology, folklore and that sort of thing but I pretty much get to let my imagination run wild. In westerns, for example, I need to be especially aware of authenticity. I did a series about the earlier career of Doc Holliday and although there's a lot of conflicting accounts of Doc's life, it was important to me to stay true to his character. There were times when he wouldn't have done what I would want a character to do, but it's what Doc would have done.

For all of my stories, I come up with the characters first. I try to do a good job of fleshing them out on the page and hopefully I'm getting better at that as my writing progresses. But in my mind, they're real people. Sometimes I'm writing dialogue and just know that's not something Paige would say. For Cole, I've had to hold back on having him be too good in fights early on. Stabbing and swinging the stick around, sure. Fancy spins and parries are Paige's department. At least for now. For me, once I have the characters down in a story, I can let them go and write what happens.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

paulgoatallen wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

That's another great example of how Marcus has "flipped" the conventions of fantasy. A few decades ago, it would've been the male lead who was the butt-kicking fighter and the female who was the "non-athletic," weak one.  I love how Paige is so strong and so focused and so dominant and how Cole is trying so hard to be her equal...

Paul

Hahaha!  Actually, towards the end of the first book I knew that wasn't happening.  But it's almost more fun the way they are...  You can tell they "care" for one another but really they just seem to want to stick to business (well more her than him I think). That's okay...they are cute the way they bicker and fight...and how he keeps sneaking peeks at her assets, LOL!  The bunny boxers were pretty funny!  :-)

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

M_Pelegrimas wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

I love how Paige is so strong and so focused and so dominant and how Cole is trying so hard to be her equal...

Paul

Yeah the scenes with her eating and the food is all over her face....soooooo funny!

Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Hahaha!  Actually, towards the end of the first book I knew that wasn't happening.  But it's almost more fun the way they are...  You can tell they "care" for one another but really they just seem to want to stick to business (well more her than him I think). That's okay...they are cute the way they bicker and fight...and how he keeps sneaking peeks at her assets, LOL!  The bunny boxers were pretty funny!  :-)

I definitely want a spark between Paige and Cole, but they just can't stop what they're doing to have a flowery romance. In my experience, these things happen after a few false starts. Maybe that's just a comment on my clumsy history in the romance department. Paige gets off on the fight. That's what gets her blood boiling. She's also growing closer to Cole so it's fun to see them shift from a partner relationship to a joking one, back to partners, maybe flirt a little, maybe get wrapped up in the moment, joke some more and just roll with the punches. Cole obviously finds her attractive. Sometimes he wants to whap her on the back of the head. Typical stuff when you spend as much time together as they do. Most of the time, I don't even know when they're going to get closer or when they'll start bickering. I know what Cole wants and I know what Paige wants. We'll just have to see how their situations bring them together or split them apart. That's the fun part for me as a storyteller.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

M_Pelegrimas wrote:
I definitely want a spark between Paige and Cole, but they just can't stop what they're doing to have a flowery romance. In my experience, these things happen after a few false starts. Maybe that's just a comment on my clumsy history in the romance department. Paige gets off on the fight. That's what gets her blood boiling. She's also growing closer to Cole so it's fun to see them shift from a partner relationship to a joking one, back to partners, maybe flirt a little, maybe get wrapped up in the moment, joke some more and just roll with the punches. Cole obviously finds her attractive. Sometimes he wants to whap her on the back of the head. Typical stuff when you spend as much time together as they do. Most of the time, I don't even know when they're going to get closer or when they'll start bickering. I know what Cole wants and I know what Paige wants. We'll just have to see how their situations bring them together or split them apart. That's the fun part for me as a storyteller.

You're so right, Marcus! That dynamicism between the two is what keeps it all so fun! if they jumped into the sack and were lovers, that "tension" would be lost... I like the relationship being organic in that  the reader has no idea where it's going to progress!

Paul

Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

Hey everyone. Hope you get some reading time over the Thanksgiving break. Or, if you're not into turkey, you still get some reading time. I'll be away from the computer while visiting some family, but will check in here when I can. Feel free to keep posting and I'll get to the replies ASAP.

I'm working on Skinners #4 right now, so it's good to see what you guys think of how the story is progressing. I'm sticking with my "panning out" theory where each book widens the view of the Skinners world. Some cool things are in motion and I wish I could say more. Don't want to spoil anything though.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

M_Pelegrimas wrote:

Hey everyone. Hope you get some reading time over the Thanksgiving break. Or, if you're not into turkey, you still get some reading time. I'll be away from the computer while visiting some family, but will check in here when I can. Feel free to keep posting and I'll get to the replies ASAP.

I'm working on Skinners #4 right now, so it's good to see what you guys think of how the story is progressing. I'm sticking with my "panning out" theory where each book widens the view of the Skinners world. Some cool things are in motion and I wish I could say more. Don't want to spoil anything though.

Marcus:
So does that mean that you've sold books four through six? Congratulations if that's the case!
And please try to have a wonderful Thanksgiving!   :smileyhappy:
Paul
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Marcus I finished Howling Legion...I loved it!  Lots of action and some good fights.  I like that they had the mongrels helping them...but with that Epilogue...I'm wondering what they are up to?  And is Ben turning into a full blood?  Sure sounds like it...  :-(  Do they become evil when they do or is it just something most of them choose because they are so powerful?

As for Paige's arm...that's unfortunate.  I hope it gets better for her...It's going to be real hard fighting with an almost useless arm.  So we never heard from any other skinners in this book...I'm wondering how many of them are left?  They seem like the only two?

Can't wait for the next one.  :-D

Cheers!

Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

Back from Thanksgiving in Florida. Hope everyone had a good week.

Teresa - Glad you liked Howling Legion. Yeah, this one has some loose threads at the end, but that's only because I know I'll be able to tie them up. Don't want to give away too much stuff from Book 3, but know that there are other Skinners out there. They're just a lot like Paige & Cole in that they prefer to work on their own. Paige's condition will definitely have lasting effects throughout the books. This is something I wanted with this series. The Skinners have worked out some cool tricks, but they're not supernatural beings. They carry injuries like the rest of us.

And as for the Full Blood / Mongrel questions.....I'll leave that one hanging. Bwa-ha-ha-ha

Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

Well I suppose it's time to step aside for the December releases. Thanks to everyone who took the time to chat with me and I hope the rest of you enjoy the book as well. I'll still check in if anyone wants to keep on posting. Book 3 is called Teeth of Beasts and is scheduled to come out on April 27th. Hopefully I'll see you then!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Marcus:

Thanks again for for time and your friendship. Have a joyous holiday season – I can't wait to read Teeth of Beasts in April!!!

Paul

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Thanks Marcus!  Looking forward to TOB!  :-)