Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
CeCe10
0 Kudos

New Release Tuesday

Im sure many of you have been over to the romantic reads thread as well.  I wanted to know if it would be possible for someone to do what the moderator over there does each tuesday.  She puts up new relases for that day and I find it super helpfiul because Im sure Im not the only one who reads tons of books each year by a plethora of authors and it gets hard to keep track with all of their upcoming books.  That thread also helps me to find books by new authors I hadnt even considered.  Now I know you have the new and recommended thread here for people getting suggestions for new titles to check out but its just not the same.  I mean that thead is so popular that when she stopped lots of messages came in requesting it that she started it again.  Can we please have something for this board as well.  Im sure Im not the Only one here who will love you for it :smileyhappy:

Contributor
CeCe10
0 Kudos

Re: New Release Tuesday

Ok I saw the upcoming releases thread its moving in the direction of what she does but not quite there all the way but if it could b expanded to be done every tuesday like hers with pictures of the actual books coming out with blurbs about them and whether its part of a series and so forth would be lovely Im sure it work dont get me wrong but youd have our undying gratitude :smileyhappy:

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Soooooooo....  Who wants to take on this responsibility? 

**COUGHAHEMPAULCOUGH**  :-)  LOL

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well gee we already have Upcomming releases, new and recomended, the monthly heads up feature, the 3 monthly picks, and we already talk about a lot of new books in what am I reading now. Look do what you want, but let's consolidate a little before we make yet one more.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Soooooooo....  Who wants to take on this responsibility? 

**COUGHAHEMPAULCOUGH**  :-)  LOL

Who ME?   :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Well gee we already have Upcomming releases, new and recomended, the monthly heads up feature, the 3 monthly picks, and we already talk about a lot of new books in what am I reading now. Look do what you want, but let's consolidate a little before we make yet one more.

Tig:

Well, you're right – I can't tell you how many of you have complained about there being too many similar threads – new and recommended, what are you currently reading, looking for a new book, etc. I actually used to do a monthly release thread but honestly it seemed kind of redundant because a large amount of the releases I listed were already mentioned/discussed on other threads.

What do you guys think? Should I start up something like this again or is it redundant?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dalnewt
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tig:

Well, you're right – I can't tell you how many of you have complained about there being too many similar threads – new and recommended, what are you currently reading, looking for a new book, etc. I actually used to do a monthly release thread but honestly it seemed kind of redundant because a large amount of the releases I listed were already mentioned/discussed on other threads.

What do you guys think? Should I start up something like this again or is it redundant?

Paul

It seems kind of unwieldy. I mean there are just sooo many UFs (mystery, action, romance, horror and/or any combination thereof).  And, the next thing you know people would be asking for a short synopsis of each one. 

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tig:

Paul

Firstly, I was just joking around Paul...   LOL!

I do agreed Tig & Paul...   To me that Upcoming Releases thread I created was just for that reason.  :-)  We've got a lot of people adding stuff and I check there every other day to see if I need to add anything to my list.  So far it's been very good and informative.

New and Recommended really, to me, is for first time authors and brand new books (like first in a series & stand alone....) whereas the Upcoming Releases is for current book series, so we all know when the next one is coming out, just in case some of us forget...like me, LOL!

The "what are you currently reading" thread is really just to find out where people are, what they are reading next, etc.  It's more of a fun thread really, where anything goes.  :-D

My 2 cents

Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

IMO:

Let's just use the "New Release" thread we already have.  It's been going pretty good, and Teresa just started it.  If we keep posting books we know are coming out with the image & Link feature, others can follow that and read the little B & N posted synopsis (it's usually there).  I don't mind stepping up my effort of posting up coming releases I hear of.  Plus that's one of my current favorite threads. :smileyhappy:   

paulgoatallen

3monstersmom wrote:

IMO:

Let's just use the "New Release" thread we already have.  It's been going pretty good, and Teresa just started it.  If we keep posting books we know are coming out with the image & Link feature, others can follow that and read the little B & N posted synopsis (it's usually there).  I don't mind stepping up my effort of posting up coming releases I hear of.  Plus that's one of my current favorite threads. :smileyhappy:   

Rock on.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

I agree that we should just use the ones that we already have. Besides most of the new releases get mentioned in the currentlly reading thread.  Let's not take Paul's time away from finding us those great hidden treasures that keep us buying and reading.  May your BookPimp cane keep rocking.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
dalnewt
0 Kudos

The problem with the Upcoming Book Release thread is that it doesn't really have parameters, you just sorta have to scroll thru the whole thing until you come to the books which are actually going to be shortly released. Perhaps, a new Upcoming Release thread for every month could be created which includes upcoming releases for the next month and upcoming releases for one week past the new month. Note, I'm not suggesting that the mods create these monthly upcoming release threads, they have enough to do. But, it could be done on a voluntary basis by board participants.

For instance someone could do an 'Upcoming UF Releases For May' thread and include books to be released in May and the first ten days of June. Then, the following month, someone could do a 'Upcoming UF Releases For June' thread with the same paramaters. (Note, I'm not trying to volunteer anyone, but the current Upcoming Releases thread isn't as user friendly as it could be.)  

TiggerBear

dalnewt wrote:

The problem with the Upcoming Book Release thread is that it doesn't really have parameters, you just sorta have to scroll thru the whole thing until you come to the books which are actually going to be shortly released. Perhaps, a new Upcoming Release thread for every month could be created which includes upcoming releases for the next month and upcoming releases for one week past the new month. Note, I'm not suggesting that the mods create these monthly upcoming release threads, they have enough to do. But, it could be done on a voluntary basis by board participants.

For instance someone could do an 'Upcoming UF Releases For May' thread and include books to be released in May and the first ten days of June. Then, the following month, someone could do a 'Upcoming UF Releases For June' thread with the same paramaters. (Note, I'm not trying to volunteer anyone, but the current Upcoming Releases thread isn't as user friendly as it could be.)  

Why are you scrolling through the whole thing?  I just read the new posts.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

OK, perhaps I exaggerated a bit. But still, you've got to start at the ending post and go backward to determine what UF books will be shortly released. What I'm saying is that there really isn't a thread where a person can read, from the first post, every new UF that will be released in the next month and one-half or one-quarter, whatever. If there was an Upcoming UF Releases For May thread, for instance, then everyone could look at the first post and know all the UF fantasies for that month, rather than scrolling thru, from either the back or front, an ongoing Upcoming Release Thread. Lol, maybe I just can't describe exactly what I mean.  

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

OK, perhaps I exaggerated a bit. But still, you've got to start at the ending post and go backward to determine what UF books will be shortly released. What I'm saying is that there really isn't a thread where a person can read, from the first post, every new UF that will be released in the next month and one-half or one-quarter, whatever. If there was an Upcoming UF Releases For May thread, for instance, then everyone could look at the first post and know all the UF fantasies for that month, rather than scrolling thru, from either the back or front, an ongoing Upcoming Release Thread. Lol, maybe I just can't describe exactly what I mean.  

Yeah I'm not seeing it either....  I check into that Upcoming Releases thread at least every day and see if there is anything new.  I don't have any problems with it.  Having them monthly is just going to make way too many threads...I would rather have them in all in one thread.  <shrug>

I also want to know what is coming out 2-3 or more months ahead of time, not just the upcoming or current month.  Then I can plan ahead.  :-)

Contributor
CeCe10
0 Kudos

Happy too see that this did garner a discussion. Don't get me wrong I dont want to add more work really or thread to what people is already doing but I must admit the romance thread is doing something write. One person adds everything and it is super easy to read through and it has the pic of the book and I find it extremely informative. I dont think having a New Release thread for every month is necessary because that would b excessive. Simply having one New Release tuesday type of thread that runs continually is perfectly fine.  I love that its updating every tuesday.  and other members participate by adding books that the moderator forgot about and its all stream lined enough thats its a useful tool.