dhaupt

Re: New and Recommended

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

I just received the ARC – can't wait to read The Rift Walker!!!

I LOVED it, my review will be in the November RT magazine

The Rift Walker  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

I gave 

Rebirth (Aftertime Series #2) five stars primarily because of the compelling perspective of Cass Dollar, the main protagonist in the Aftertime trilogy. This book is engrossing. It has a plot which is emotionally wrenching and at times nail-biting. It's punctuated by action sequences and capped off by a heart-thumping climax. But I did have some problems with the story and, at this point, I don't know whether I'll write a reader review.

I had problems because the story seemed to run counter to responsible parenthood at times. Cass seeks a new life for her daughter and herself w/in a militant camp of Rebuilders known for their murderous actions. In itself that choice strains the bounds of credibility, but Cass' choice also involves taking her three-year-old on an incredibly dangerous journey albeit with a very strong and protective man. But still, it's a zombie and bandit infested landscape. Furthermore, once Cass and her daughter arrive, she eventually takes a very risky chance which might result in her removal from her daughter. IMO, those choices simply don't jive with Cass' love for her daughter. So the story line simply isn't credible.

Note, other choices Cass makes along the way are emotionally understandable given her damaged character and feelings of betrayal. Furthermore, additional perspectives from a surprisingly complex man named Dor, who accompanies Cass, and his emotionally devastated but ultimately strong daughter Sammie add to the story and compliment the emotional tapestry within this book.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

[ Edited ]

The Demon Lover  

Juliet Dark is a pseudonym for Carol Goodman. Goodman writes historical gothic fiction and literary mysteries. This is her first romantic paranormal fantasy and she succeeds beautifully. The imaginary she creates is vivid and her attention to detail has you immediately loving the small college town of Fairwick in upstate New York and the characters residing there. “The Demon Lover” is the type of book you want to savior, like that perfect cup of coffee on a cold fall morning. This book immediately made me think of “A Discovery of Witches” with its gothic, myth and folklore imagery. I found this aspect of the story as intriguing as the suspenseful mystery.
Dr. Cailleach (Callie) McFay is our young protagonist; she has recently graduated from college and published a book entitled “The Sex Lives of the Demon Lovers”. Callie arrives at Fairwick College to interview for a position teaching folklore at the campus. She isn’t sure about taking the job; her dream is to be in New York, but while visiting there, she comes across an old Victorian home called Honeysuckle House and learns it’s for sale. It was originally owned by historical romance writer Dahila LaMotte. The realtor informs her that all of LaMotte’s notes, journals and unpublished books come with the house, but that these books can never leave the home. Callie sees this as an opportunity for a new book. Callie accepts the teaching position and moves into Honeysuckle House. Every night she is visited by a man of shadow and moonlight, who seduces her and leaves her aching and satisfied in the morning. As Callie reads LaMotte’s journals and explores the college town she begins to realize there is a lot more going on here. Callie is a strong educated character and you can’t help but like her. She battles with her brain, and looks for solutions head on. She is flawed, but tries to do the right thing.
I would love to share so many details about the book, but do not want to spoil the story for you. For those of you who love to read, you will get a kick out of the references to authors, such as, Charlaine Harris. Dark made me laugh out loud with these references and some off handed comments to those who scorn paranormal /urban fantasy literature.
I know some of you will detest the ending, but although I can find no reference to it, this book has ended in such a way that I feel another book will be coming. This reader certainly hopes so.

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Although I already mentioned this reissued book in the 'What are you reading thread,' I was so impressed with it that I wrote a reader review. Here's my review of 

Anno Dracula

Unique and Unforgettable

This book is utterly entertaining. It's not just another clever mash-up which delights readers by placing characters from history and literature within a horror-inspired/influenced plot. Instead, the book delivers a sweeping story. The mix of the surreal and the historical is simply mind-blowing at times. The plot is multi-faceted. At first the reader becomes aware of a fascinating crime thriller and horror story. By mid-book, a contemplative romance and a wry political satire enter the mix. During the last third of the book, an ingenious conspiracy is slowly revealed. It all culminates in a heart-thumping climax that that leaves the reader smiling and cheering for more.
Note, the story does amuse with a cast of secondary characters from history and period literature, but this book is not confined to mere entertainment. Instead, it's a brilliant and maniacal masterpiece. I'm grateful that this book was reissued. Otherwise, I would have probably missed a truly unique and unforgettable read.
This book is based upon the premise that Van Helsing failed to destroy Dracula a/k/a Vlad Tepes who went onto marry Queen Victoria and impose a chaotic police state on Victorian England harkening back to the Middle Ages. London is torn between those who have chosen to remain warm (humans) and vampires which range from Dracula's bloodthirsty Carpathian Guard to elders with mysterious vampiric powers to new-born from the every strata of society. Unfortunately most of the new-born carry Dracula's grave tainted bloodline causing twisted mutations and self-destructive, blood born behavior.
At first the prose seems antiquated and dense, but that's only because it starts with a short letter authored by Dracula and the insane ravings of an obsessed killer. That killer is initially dubbed Silver Knife but eventually becomes known as Jack the Ripper. His gruesome handiwork upon vampire streetwalkers in the Whitechapel area is sensationalized by the press and destabilizes the tenuous status quo between vampires and humans. A sympathetic and newly engaged Charles Beauregard, an undercover human agent for the mysterious Diogenes Club cabal, is tasked with stopping the murders. Meanwhile, an intriguing vampire elder named Geneviève Dieudonné is asked by vampire elements at Scotland Yard to become involved. Charles and Geneviève investigate the murders separately, but eventually meet and collaborate.
In addition to the experiences of Charles and Geneviève, the narrative focuses upon the fascinating perspective of Jack the Ripper. Additional characters include Beuregaurd's naive fiance, the relatively newly turned Lord Godalming a/k/a Arthur Holmwood, (borrowed from Stoker's 'Dracula), and the manipulative vampiric British Prime Minster, named Lord Ruthven after Polidori's "The Vampyre'. Supporting characters from Victorian history and period literature also make amusing cameo appearances. Dracula and Queen Victoria aren't introduced until the climactic conclusion, but both make an indelible impression.
I highly recommend this book to all vampire genre lovers and anyone who enjoys reading an intriguing mix of surreal horror, crime fiction, romance, political satire and ingenious conspiracy set within a meticulously envisioned Victorian era. IMO, any reader of general fiction who likes a deeply layered story will enjoy this book.
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

[ Edited ]

The Shadowing  

“The girl lies by the canal, her face turned upwards like a stargazer. But she will never see the stars again. Her eyes have been torn out. The rain fills the empty sockets until they brim over, spilling bloody tears down her cold, white cheeks..”

Hunted is a YA paranormal horror novel. This tale is told from the point of view of fourteen year old protagonist Scott Callum. Callum has always known he was different; he lives with his Gram in a small crammed cottage, sees ghosts and has amazing luck. He views himself as an outcast because of his abilities and keeps to himself. Experiences from his elementary school days, have kept him from sharing his strange gifts with anyone.  Young people are being brutally murdered by the eerie “Hunter” and messages are being left in blood all over town.   Strange things begin happening to Callum, the ghosts he normally sees at the Nether Marlock Church are no longer there, and instead the town is filled with even more ghosts than usual.  He senses something evil is following him. He sees a strange ghost child with a huge grizzly dog and thinks they are the evil following him. He begins having dreams and premonitions. When he has a vision or senses there is danger, his hands tingle and go numb.  At school, this occurs and he saves a new age Goth girl named, Melissa from death. Callum slowly learns that this quirky girl is brave, smart and not at all afraid of the supernatural.   Callum and Melissa begin to search for clues about the large dog and ghost boy he has seen. Together they learn that Callum is a chime child. This is a child born beneath a full moon between midnight on Friday and the cockcrow on Saturday.  They also learn that once every century, the boundary between the demon Netherworld and the human world weaken. Creatures gather, preparing to cross over, to bring death and destruction. This time is called The Shadowing.  Callum must face who he is, what is hunting him, who his friends are and whether or not he wants to save the world.

The story started off slow for me, but once it took off I was completely engrossed. I loved watching Callum go from a slumped shouldered unsure teen into a more confident young man.  I liked Melissa from the beginning, and wish I had been such a confident young woman in high school. The villain in this story, “the hunter”, gave me goose bumps. I wanted more details of the Netherworld, and I am hoping Slater satisfies this in the next book.  The book contains a preview to the second book in this trilogy entitled The Shadowing: Skinned. This reader intends to see where Adam Slater will take this story next.

This book will be published on September 13, 2011.

Inspired Contributor
j-91

Hi Everyone,

Today for my Blogoversary, there is a giveaway and interview for Amanda Downum. There will be quite a few of the authors that I have posted about here with interviews and giveaways throughout the month of September and part of October. Be sure to check it out at Blood Rose Books.

Cheers!!!

Proud to be a Bookworm :smileyhappy:

http://j9books.blogspot.com/
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

[ Edited ]

Waking Hours  

I received an ARC of this book it will be released Oct 4th. Here is my review:

This is the first book I have read by author Lis Wiehl.  She has written such books as “Face of Betrayal” a New York Times Bestseller and part of her Triple Threat mysteries. After reading Waking Hours, I will be picking up copies of her earlier works .  I really enjoyed this suspenseful, paranormal mystery thriller.  This is the first book in the East Salem Trilogy.

The story takes place in quaint East Salem; a lake side, close knit community where everyone knows everybody.  I loved the way the author portrayed this town, its buildings, people and places.  It’s the type of New England town you dream of visiting or living in.  A brutal ritualistic murder of a young woman occurs and sets this sleepy little town on edge.  All of the suspects in this crime are teenagers who attended a party the night of the murder. Crime scene evidence suggests they were all involved, but all of the kids are suffering from memory loss.

Forensic psychiatrist Dani Harris a member of the local DA’s office, finds herself taking the lead in this case when her boss in unavoidably detained.  Dani has always been a hard working overachiever in her professional life but in her personal life not so much. She seems confident, like a woman with a plan, but she is often filled with self doubt and questions her every move.

PI in training, Tommy Gunderson is a formal pro-football linebacker and local celebrity. He left football after a tragic accident and opened his own gym. As a teen he had a crush on Dani but felt he was way out of her league, and still does. If only he knew that cool confident Dani felt the same way.

The two end up teaming together to solve the murder. I enjoyed the chemistry between the two and found myself laughing at the hilarious things they would say, like two awkward teens on a first date.  I sometimes thought they pulled pieces of the puzzle together a little too quickly, but overall the storyline was genuinely believable and kept me engrossed.

Strange dreams, biblical references, supernatural occurrences and this overwhelming sense of evil made the story spooky and an ideal fall read. The ending set the stage perfectly for book two of this trilogy and I found myself searching for clues to its release.  

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

See below my reader review of The Rift Walker. IMO, this book is more adventurous, unpredictable and emotionally satisfying than The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1), but this story isn't as epic, vivid and/or poignant as the first book. Overall, this second installment is a wonderful pulp adventure continuation of the first book.

Action, Adventure and Romance

Your Customer Rating:   (Five Stars) See Detailed Ratings

Cover Image

From the chemically lighted streets of a culturally diverse Alexandria to the misty mountains of Eastern Africa, this second installment in the Vampire Empire trilogy thrums with vibrant adventure. This book delivers heart-thumping exploits, action-packed conflict, mysterious magic, treacherous betrayals, cunning intrigue, unpredictable twists and endearing romance.

Multiple story lines deliver an epic adventure story of an alternate earth divided between predatory vampire clans in a ravaged north and steampunk powered human civilization within the Equatorial region. The main story lines follow the experiences of Princess Adele, heir to the Equitorian Empire, and the Greyfriar, a legendary masked hero who fights a one-man war against vampires in Northern Europe. Additional threads follow supporting characters including the experiences of Adele's enigmatic tutor, Mamoru, and the efforts of Adele's steadfast protector, Colonel Anhalt. The blustering thoughts and actions of Senator Clark and the intrigue of the heir apparent to the British vampire throne, Cesare, also enhance the narrative. 

The story picks up three months after Adele and Greyfriar parted within the sky over Scotland. Returned to Equitoria, Adele is avoiding her marriage to the American Senator Clark, but her delay threatens the American alliance as well as the chance for victory in the impending war against the vampire clans. Although she detests Senator Clark and hates his genocidal plan to starve the vampires by fire bombing the remaining humans in northern Europe, she accedes to her father's wishes and agrees to a short date for the wedding ceremony. Meanwhile, the Greyfriar is realizing the futility of his singular efforts to protect the devastated human villages of Northern Europe. Feigning indifference to Cesare's leadership claim, the Greyfriar becomes aware that his brother has cultivated human agents within Equitoria and plans to assassinate Adele and Senator Clark during their marriage ceremony. From that point the story takes off and spins a sweeping tale of action, adventure and sweet romance. 

Adele and the Greyfriar face danger together and apart as the story ranges from Alexandria to Egyptian ruins along the Nile to the lush African interior. Adele's resolve and fortitude grow exponentially as the result of her experiences and the Greyfriar's unconditional love. In addition, Adele's dormant magical power erupts into an uncontrolled wave of death for any vampire unlucky enough to be caught within the blast radius. Meanwhile, treachery and surprise revelations cause reversals of fortune for the Equitorian Empire and, eventually, Adele and the Greyfriar.
In many ways this second book is devoted to advancing Adele's character; but, while doing so, the book entertains with a wonderfully realized pulp adventure set within an expansive alternate world setting. I highly recommend this book to all fans of romantic epic adventure fantasy, anyone interested in pulp action with steampunk details and all vampire genre enthusiasts interested in an intriguing conflict that pits cunning and vicious vampires against surviving human civilizations.
Reader 2
Buffy_Ann
0 Kudos

LOVE your list and have read pretty much every one and more by each author! You need to try out Bianca D'Arc, Ladies of the lair, and sweeter then wine, brotherhood of the blood.  I think you would enjoy them. Colleen Greason Chronical of Cictoria Gardella, Michelle Hauf, Kathy Love Fangs for the memories and her other paranormal books.  I think they would be right up your DARK ally :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

[ Edited ]

Cross  

Here is my review. :smileyhappy:

“Cross”, T.S. Worley’s debut novel in the paranormal and urban fantasy realm, delivers.  It is a fresh, outrageous look at vampires and werewolves.  “Cross” is the starting point of what is sure to be an exciting new series.  This was a quick read for me.  It flowed easily and I found myself completely immersed in the storyline.  It is steeped in religion & lore and provides a complete history into the origins of vampires and werewolves.  The story is a first person narrative provided by protagonist David Cross.  David, on the cusp of turning thirty, is a loner with a guarded heart.  He is out hiking when a tragic accident changes the course of his life. David awakens and is thrust into a reality he didn’t know existed.  After two thousand years, the vampire population has dwindled to a small group of women.  During this time, the werewolves have prospered and increased their numbers while systematically taking out the female vampires.  To the vampires, David is their salvation.  To the werewolves, David means the end of mankind and he must be destroyed.  I liked David.  He is confident, even tempered, yet vulnerable, and willing to listen.  He seeks the advice of others and is not easily led.  Other characters such as Mouge, made the story compelling and believable.  

I experienced a wide range of emotions while reading this book and look forward to discussing it.  I look forward to seeing this series unfold.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

[ Edited ]

Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows Series)  

Ok, this was a steamy read. It is the first book in a four book series, each told by a different author.

You can see my review on my blog:

http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/

Contributor
lavenderLH

Great idea. I just read another great book. Elizabeth Loraine's Phantom Lives. I have read every book in her other series this is totally different, but still as much of a page turner as her other series. It's about a you woman that finds out that dreams she has had since child hood are of a real place. A plantation in Mississippi, full of ghosts immortals, magic and romance.  here is a link.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/phantom-lives-collier-elizabeth-loraine/1104988970?ean=2940013003491...

Frequent Contributor
Nancy_N

I've been enjoying Caitlin Kittredge's Dark London series and have the newest, Devil's Business, waiting to read.  I also like Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series and, skating the genre line, Jessica Andersen's Nightkeepers.  C. L. Wilson's Tairen Soul series, also a line-skater, pulled me in quickly.

I loved Bujold's Cryoburn despite its heart-wrenching ending.  Last year, I discovered S.M. Stirling's Emberverse and devoured the first three.  The Sunrise Lands is also in the TBR pile.  I'm actually current on Laura Anne Gilman's PUPI series, waiting for the next one, and am still in volume one, the Nebula-nominated Flesh and Fire, of her Vineart Wars series.

Frequent Contributor
Nancy_N
0 Kudos

Ooops--the books in my second paragraph in the post above belong on in the science fiction and fantasy realm!

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Nancy_N wrote:

Ooops--the books in my second paragraph in the post above belong on in the science fiction and fantasy realm!

That's ok Nancy..a lot of us like science fiction and fantasy too!:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
Nancy_N
0 Kudos

PhyllisJ wrote:
I saw this book at Barnes and Noble and it was shelved in with the Adult books, not Young Adult. 

I've read the entire series to date.  It definitely is for adults.

Frequent Contributor
Nancy_N
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

Nancy_N wrote:

That's ok Nancy..a lot of us like science fiction and fantasy too!:smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, Kimba!

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

lavenderLH wrote:

Great idea. I just read another great book. Elizabeth Loraine's Phantom Lives. I have read every book in her other series this is totally different, but still as much of a page turner as her other series. It's about a you woman that finds out that dreams she has had since child hood are of a real place. A plantation in Mississippi, full of ghosts immortals, magic and romance.  here is a link.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/phantom-lives-collier-elizabeth-loraine/1104988970?ean=2940013003491...

This does look like a great book, thanks for pointing it out!! I've put it in my ever-growing TBR pile...  And it's only $2.99 as a nook book!

Phantom Lives - Collier  

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Here's my reader review of  

One Salt Sea (October Daye Series #5)

Engrossing and Enjoyable

Your Customer Rating:      (Five Stars)         See Detailed Ratings

This fifth installment in the October Daye series features a sympathetic protagonist, engaging supporting characters, imaginative undersea fae/creatures, an urgent quest and an interesting tangential mystery. With intermittent help from the Luidaeg and others, October/Toby undertakes the task of recovering the kidnapped sons of the Dianda Lorden, the ruler of the largely underwater duchy named Saltmist which extends along the Pacific coast. Toby has three days to recover the two Lorden boys or war will ensue between the well-prepared Saltmist forces and the unprepared land fiefdoms owing allegiance to the Kingdom of the Mists. 

From beginning to end, the narrative flows naturally in this story. There's courtly politics, romantic interludes, surprise attacks, undersea investigation and unanticipated loss. The narrative accelerates throughout the book and reaches a desperate, action-packed climax. It all finishes in a sad but satisfying scene as Toby and the Luidaeg overlook a night darkened ocean.

The cast is composed of colorful new characters and interesting returning characters. The primary supporting characters include a surprisingly sympathetic Luidaeg, a personable but torn Connor, an intriguing Tyblat and an endearing Quentin. Toby's investigation involves a search of Saltmist in mermaid form, summoned Nighthaunts, blood magic and clever deductions based upon the clues. 

I heartily recommend this series and book to all urban fantasy fans, all those who enjoy supernatural mysteries/thrillers and all readers who enjoy extremely well-executed stories of the fae.
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

[ Edited ]

Canyons of Night  

I had preordered this book and was delighted when it arrived. Having read all of the Arcane Society novels, I knew that once I started reading, I’d be unable to stop.  I highly recommend this series, if you are looking for a mystery, romance thriller with a paranormal twist.  Second Sight by Amanda Quick was the first paranormal book I’d ever read.  I read the back cover and said, “Paranormal?” “What?” “Yuck!”  My husband brought this book home to me and since I didn’t want to hurt his feelings; I dutifully began reading and thus my love for paranormal books began. This opened the door to all the genres for me.  Don’t be afraid to try a new genre, you may be amazed at what you find.

For those of you who have not yet read this series, I want to give you a little background on the author.  Jayne Anne Krentz writes all of the Arcane Society novels using three different names. When writing about the past, she uses the pseudonym Amanda Quick.  When she writes a contemporary story she uses her own name.  When she writes about the future on a colonized planet called Harmony, she writes as Jayne Castle. While all of them can be read as a standalone or as part of a trilogy, I recommend reading them in order.  I have added the author’s link at the bottom of this review, so that you can see the chronological order of the series.

Canyon of the Night, the third book in the Looking Glass Trilogy, takes place on the colonized planet of Harmony.  The setting is Rainshadow Island.  Protagonist, Charlotte Enright is back on the island after inheriting an antique shop called The Looking Glass.   Slade Attridge, a former FBPI agent, returns to accept the chief of police position.  They both feel an instant connection, but personal demons leave them leery.   Things quickly heat up after a break-in and murder at the Looking Glass.  Someone on the island wants them dead and something is definitely wrong with the Preserve.  I liked the main characters and was intrigued by some of the town’s people.  Foreshadowing leads me to believe we will meet them again.   The novel is filled with suspense as they work to unravel the mystery.  The romance is steamy and discreet, a talent that only Castle (Krentz) can deliver.  While wrapping up the murder investigation, the book left many unanswered questions about the Preserve.  The story kept me completely engrossed and had me saying things like, “one more chapter and I’ll go to bed.”  I am looking forward to the next book in this series and hoping for some answers.

from my blog