Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Re: New and Recommended

The City's Son

My spoiler free review:  

Beth Bradley runs away after her friend betrays her and her absentee Dad fails her. She takes to the modern day streets of London, where she encounters a street urchin named Filius and learns of a world living side by side with hers. She learns he is the crown prince of this mystical world and in danger. The god of urban decay known as Reach is returning to destroy them all. Beth decides to join forces with Filius and help him raise an army to reclaim his throne. The tale that unfolds is dark, gritty, brilliant, and breathtakingly beautiful. It is one of the best urban fantasies I have had the pleasure to read.

The characters Pollock has created are friggin amazing, unique and well fleshed-out. Beth has had a tough life, but she expresses herself through graffiti.  Not tagging, but drawings; some angry, some beautiful and some filled with despair. She wants a place to belong, and the world Filius shows her draws her in. I loved Beth; she is strong, fearless, brave and compassionate. Filius is the abandoned son of a goddess who deserted him and her kingdom after banishing Reach. He is lonely and knows he needs to stop Reach. Beth draws out Filius and makes him a better leader. Filius was raised on the streets by Gutterglass his nanny. Gutterglass is made entirely of garbage and is constantly being reassembled by an army of ants, beetles and maggots.  He has been taught morals and rules by the Pavement Priests who reside in the cemetery. These creatures live inside the statues. They have been cursed by the goddess and forced to dwell beneath the stone for eternity.  I absolutely loved them; they reminded me of the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who. In battle they move with lightening speed. We meet Blankeits who dwell inside street lamps and dance in the streets. The Sodiumites live inside modern buildings and consider themselves to be noble. The Chemical Synod, are hooded creatures with blacken teeth and faces, who will help in return for a steep price. They are clever and must only be sought with caution. Victor a street bum adds depth to the tale. I loved this little dude, he was funny and aided Beth. Pen, is Beth’s best friend and the one who betrayed her. I liked Pen and understood where she was coming from. When Beth disappears she helps Beth’s Dad search for her and ends up being caught up in the battle. There are many other creatures living in London that we meet and I was blown away by Pollock's imagination.

Hands down one of the most amazing urban fantasy worlds I have ever visited. Pollock brought this town and its creatures to life with his pen. I became invested and so caught up in the saga that I consumed this with total disregard for the outside world. While the basic story-line is not original: Abandoned throne, prince who needs to step up, soldiers and countryman unsure if they trust this would-be-king and an enemy who will unite them all. The dark gritty story line made this tale brilliant. The creatures Pollack created are fabulous and his descriptions brought them to life.  My emotions were on a roller-coaster ride as the author made me experience; loss, fear, betrayal, anger, laughter and hope. Lives are lost and the tale is at times dark and ugly.  It is a time of war and the author brings it to us in all of its devastating glory. It is also bright and has a little romance, a reunion and gives hope. This combined with well fleshed out characters made this tale come to life. The author beautifully weaved details and back-history with twists and turns that had my jaw dropping, emotions running hot and kept me completely enthralled.

I highly recommend The City's Son to fans of urban fantasy and kick-ass world building. While dark and gritty it is also beautiful and engaging. I am foaming at the mouth for The Glass Republic book two in The Skyscrape Throne series. Pollock is an author whose books I would read without a recommendation based solely on his work in this novel.

I want to thank Flux for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.
Contributor
alyssa_
0 Kudos

Hi, I'd like to recommend this books written by Lizzy Ford. If you are looking for paranormal/fantasy book, this is your best bet. The book is written vividly and the storyline flows together into one great story. Summer's story unravels when she turns up at a bording school where she figures out on what she really is rather than a freak. Love, friendship and war between good and evil rolled into one book, you'll love. it. :smileyhappy:

Check out Lizzy Ford's website to check out her other books. :smileyhappy:

Dark Summer (Book I, Witchling Trilogy)  

New User
kathylovesbooks

It's been a while since you posted this, but if you haven't found the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire... run, don't walk! First is Rosemary and Rue. Seriously... go now. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Right now I am reading the debut book from L. Jagi Lamplighter

Prospero Lost  .  It is based on some of the characters from Shakespeare's The Tempest but is set in the Mordern city of Portland, Oregon to begin with,  She had the other two books in the trilogy out and I plan on reading

Prospero in Hell  

Prospero Regained 

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
KristyB615
0 Kudos

Love her too! I just finished the 6th bookit was just as great as the others!
Inspired Contributor
j-91

Hi Everyone,

Check out my review of Annie Walls' debut novel Taking on the Dead at Blood Rose Books. It is a really well done debut novel and leaves you wanting more. It has some great dark/creepy aspects in it and not all of them surround the zombies. Speaking of Zombie, Walls adds in some great new twist to the zombie sub genre that i hope to learn more about in future book.

Cheers!!!

Taking on the Dead

Proud to be a Bookworm :smileyhappy:

http://j9books.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen

Blood Oranges

Dead Things

House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires Series #7)

Between

Shattered Circle

Under the Gun

Hunting Daylight

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Contributor
j-91

Hi Everyone,

Check out the debut novel Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander. I think that this book will appeal to a lot of people who read in the paranormal genre as there is a little bit of everything in the book (and not too much romance, which I liked). Check out my review at Blood Rose Books.

Cheers

Nightshifted  

Inspired Contributor
j-91
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I seem to be on a roll here with some great new paranormal reads. Hope I can keep them coming. Check out my review of Alex Adams' debut dystopia novel White Horse at Blood Rose Books. I will say that this book is not for everyone, it is dark and disturbing at times, but still a great read.

Cheers!!!

Inspired Contributor
j-91
0 Kudos

I know this book was released in 2011 so I am not sure if someone has posted about this book on here before, but all I can say is that it Blew Me Away (and I do not normally read YA books). It was an amazing debut novel and I did not want to put it down. So make sure to check out my review of Susan Ee's novel Angelfall at Blood Rose Books

Cheers

Contributor
authorrosewynters
0 Kudos

Hello,

I thought I would add my newest release to the mix. It is currently specially priced at $.99 and is called Curvaceous Condemnation, Book 2 The Endurers. Curvaceous Condemnation is a paranormal romance set in New Orleans. Cheers!

Curvaceous Condemnation  

New User
kelleylinea
0 Kudos

I recently picked up the book The Horde by Linda Kay Silva and I loved it! It is the second book from her Man Eaters series and kept me turning the pages. Romance, adventure and zombies with a twist... I would recommned it if your looking for a good read!

Contributor
authorrosewynters
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd love to suggest my newest release. Only read if you love sexy, Native American, alpha men like my hero, Marrok! The book is called My Wolf Protector. It's book 2 in my Wolf Town Guardians series.

My Wolf Protector  

New User
Shannon2
0 Kudos

The Mortal One is a paranormal romance featuring vampires set in Florence, Italy - it's been getting a lot of good reviews out there.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-mortal-one-shannon-bell/1117798371?ean=2940149034321

It's available on Nook and paperback. Similar to Laurell K Hamilton and Kelley Armstrong...

New User
ElouiseField21
0 Kudos

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3710311993/sr=1-1/qid=1393757745/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&...

Check it out. Becoming Violet is the tale of a young woman named Kacey Jones, and how her world changed forever. Brand New Up and Coming Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Novel. Available on Amazon now! Get a sneak peek inside, and you'll be hooked!

Check out the author's blogs here:-

http://elouisefield.blogspot.com/

http://elouiseblogfield.blogspot.co.uk/

New User
Avalon_too
0 Kudos

If you thought Angel Fall was a page turner, don't miss Susan EE's sequel, "World After".  I read it in one sitting.  Fast paced and freaky.  :-)  

Contributor
authorrosewynters
0 Kudos

My Wolf Cowboy (#3, Wolf Town Guardians) releases today on 3/25! If you like werewolf romance, you will probably enjoy this!

Blurb:

Wolf Town Guardians – Born to walk this world as both wolf and human, these men take their role as protectors very seriously. Enjoying sensual pleasures as they please, this group of alpha werewolves are the finest when it comes to protecting their hidden settlement.
Guardians are the masters of self-control, taking pride in their authority and hard, muscled bodies. That all changes at the first scent of their mates. Their control snaps. The mating heat begins.
This is their stories.

To claim his mate, Connor will have to break all of the rules…

It’s a good thing rules were made to be broken.

Connor Bouchard is a werewolf with a huge secret. He’s mated, but he’s done everything he can to avoid claiming her. But the wolf that lives within him has had enough. And even if it means war, this alpha cowboy will have his mate.

Natalie Miller spent her entire life living on the Amish settlement in Missouri. Her world was safe… Until the night everything exploded in her face. She learns that nothing about her life was what it seemed… Even her. In a fiery blaze of horror, secrets are revealed… And an enemy of old comes back into play.

Forced to accept Connor’s protection, Natalie refuses to indulge in the attraction that lies between them. She didn’t count on the heat, though. It burns within her as she craves a satisfaction that she never needed before. Natalie finds herself wanted by two men, both of them willing to fight to the death to have her. Only one of them is destined by fate to have her, though.

Connor has to seduce her, the sooner the better. The full moon is quickly approaching, his opponent determined to possess his mate. Can Connor tame this wild filly before it’s too late?

My Wolf Cowboy  

Contributor
authorrosewynters
0 Kudos

Phase One  $.99 today!

New Release: