Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Re: New and Recommended

angelcloud529 wrote:

I am currently reading:

River Marked (Mercy Thompson Series #6) 

Its going slow, don't know why... I love Mercy! 

Anyhoot, thats not why I'm in this thread.  I am looking for my next new series and I need some help.

I am looking at either the Jane Yellowrock series, The Nighthuntress Series or the Elemental Assassin Series.  Not sure which one!!! Aaaarrrgh.  Too many to choose from. 

I also started the Greywalker series about 2 weeks ago, but didn't go back, so not sure if that is something I want to go back to it right now.  HELP! :smileysurprised:

Ah either choice one or two is top notch. 2's more romantic, 1's more action oriented. Haven't gotten past book 1 of choice 3, myself.

Reader 4
crypt1c
0 Kudos

Really enjoyed the jane yellowrock series. Havent read the others from your list of choices, although they are in queue :smileywink:

New User
KathyMorrell

Connects  I just fiinished reading Connects by Katrina Rose. The story is based on a woman who died a long time ago, and how she connects to another woman who moves into her house years later. I just wasn't expecting so many twists and turns past the main character known as Abigial's and her dreaming. The story line was believable even though spirits, mystical fires, and other paranormal events took place. Somehow it all tied to the woman of the past and her questionable death. I don't want to give the ending away! I did shed a few tears, not only did the story have me on edge at times, it also made me see death with a new perspective. I enjoyed it a great deal! It was written from the heart.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

angelcloud529 wrote:

I am currently reading:

River Marked (Mercy Thompson Series #6) 

Its going slow, don't know why... I love Mercy! 

Anyhoot, thats not why I'm in this thread.  I am looking for my next new series and I need some help.

I am looking at either the Jane Yellowrock series, The Nighthuntress Series or the Elemental Assassin Series.  Not sure which one!!! Aaaarrrgh.  Too many to choose from. 

I also started the Greywalker series about 2 weeks ago, but didn't go back, so not sure if that is something I want to go back to it right now.  HELP! :smileysurprised:

I also had the same problem. River Marked did start out slow, but picked up the further you got into the story.

As for Greywalker I read her first two books bought the third and It did nothing for me. I tried several times. Finally gave up on the series all together.

Here is what I do when I find myself in these type of circumstances.  I'll read "The Governess Series", by Christina Dodd. Yes it is a fictional romance series based in the eighteenth century. After that I'm back in action. Sometimes you just have to read something entirely off the subjects you're currently reading.

That's what helps me. You can pick another series, it was just a suggestion. Although they were really good:smileyhappy:! Hope this helped!

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Contributor
SJWrightAuthor

[ Edited ]

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1) SHIVER is fantastic.  It's the Mercy Falls Wolf Series.  I personally thought it was better than Twilight.  (Don't hit me!)

Okay, so that's one of my new favorites.  But, I've got another one for you.  A month ago, I finished the first book in my own new paranormal series.  

The book is called "The Vampire's Warden" and is about a girl who finds herself in a unique position.  She has inherited a role that will change her entire life and bring her into contact with creatures that she never dreamed

existed.  Check it out if you get a chance!

The Vampire's Warden 

Author of The Vampire's Warden, available on the Nook and the soon-to-be-released The Vampire's Curse: Book Two of the Undead in Brown County series.
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

[ Edited ]

Tess75 wrote:
I had the same problem. River Marked did start out slow, but picked up the further you got into the story.

As for Greywalker I read her first two books bought the third and It did nothing for me. I tried several times. Finally gave up on the series all together.

Here is what I do when I find myself in these type of circumstances.  I'll read "The Governess Series", by Christina Dodd. Yes it is a fictional romance series based in the eighteenth century. After that I'm back in action. Sometimes you just have to read something entirely off the subjects you're currently reading.

That's what helps me. You can pick another series, it was just a suggestion. Although they were really good:smileyhappy:! Hope this helped!

Tess:

Thats a great idea, I never thought to pick up an entire different genre.  I am almost finished with River Marked, and your right it picked up.  I am going to look into "The Governess Series"  I like a good romance.  I did however accidently open (how do you accidently open a book)  the first page to Changes by Jim Butcher and was kinda hooked, so it might have to wait until I read that one.  I think I might have some kind of sickness!!!!

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Wordsmith
Tess75

If you don't want that long of a series. Here are two more written by Christina Dodd,they only have two books  in each series.

The Princess Series

1) The Runaway Princess

2) Someday My Prince

Switching Places

1) Scandalous Again

2) One Kiss from You

All her romance series are good, these two just don't have as many to the series. The Governess Bride series has a total of eight, but they were so good for a romance novel I couldn't put them down! I'm not a big romance fan myself more into the paranormal romance. Ok that just sounded weird considering they both are romance, but I think you get my picture! If you try them out you'll have to let me know.

Oh I changed my Avatar, not many people had this one. The one I had I noticed started popping up a lot which kind of got confusing. Hope this doesn't cause more confusion(LOL)!! :smileyvery-happy:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
New User
KathrynHolt

I want to recommend Katrina Rose's new book known as Connects. If you like or love the paranormal, mysteries, ghosts, drug dealers, and a plot that will keep you in suspense, check out Connects. I recommend it, it's a wonderful read.

New User
SandyHampton

I've read it too. I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. Connects had several twists and turns that I was not expecting. I just figured Abigail the main character was going to dream about the woman from nineteen years ago, but when the ghosts started appearing and another death, well, I was hooked! The author or the main character made possession by a spirit seem not so scary after all. Although, I still hope none of this ever happens to me. What I wasn't expecting at all was the underlying story about the drug dealer and possible murder. Very intriguing especially since it's based on a true ghost story. Wow!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
KatrinaRose01
0 Kudos

I loved it too!

pen21
0 Kudos

Anxiously waiting for First Grave on the Right.

The Monster of Florence was an excellent book, totally agree with you. The presentation of the non-fiction/ crime was done very well. I would recommend this book.

I do need to get back into the Greywalker and October Daye series to catch up.

But so many good books are getting shown here.

Vermontcozy wrote:

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy wrote:

I'm doing great!  Back to work, blah.  I loved  the Greyfriar and can't wait for The Riftwalker (book 2) it comes out in Sept, way too long.  I am reading Changes (Book 12, Harry Dresden) right now, but I think I am going to take Tess's advice and swith to regular romance for a series.  I need to clear my head.  :smileytongue: 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

angelcloud529 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

I'm doing great!  Back to work, blah.  I loved  the Greyfriar and can't wait for The Riftwalker (book 2) it comes out in Sept, way too long.  I am reading Changes (Book 12, Harry Dresden) right now, but I think I am going to take Tess's advice and swith to regular romance for a series.  I need to clear my head.  :smileytongue: 

:smileywink:Absolutely will clear your head..A good romance..I like Jennifer Crusie..She is kind of Chick Lit But Funny,,Sexy...and Sexy...Moments  very real..I read "Welcome to Temptation" and did not want it to end..Also."Maybe This Time"...5 Stars for sure..My 2nd Chick Lit.......Thank you for the name of Book2 "The Riftwalker".We are so patient...Glad you are back..It was quiet.when you were gone...: )  Susan

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

The Monster of Florence was an excellent book, totally agree with you. The presentation of the non-fiction/ crime was done very well. I would recommend this book.

Vermontcozy wrote:

I shelved October Daye  Just for a little while,,,..But will get back to Toby...Because I miss her...,The Monster of Florence,,was an eye opener,,,Now Amanda Knox...Should be interesting''"First Grave"read a little bit..Will be a fan..What is one more Good Series...Its in Our DNA here...

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

I shelved October Daye  Just for a little while,,,..But will get back to Toby...Because I miss her...,The Monster of Florence,,was an eye opener,,,Now Amanda Knox...Should be interesting''"First Grave"read a little bit..Will be a fan..What is one more Good Series...Its in Our DNA here...

Last I read PGA has decided to feature Late Eclipses (October Daye Series #4) in April, so I plan to hold off reading it until the end of the month. I'll also check out The Monster of Florence  and First Grave on the Right. But I'm kind of maxed out on grim reaper fantasy right now. I've just read too many books that utilize that particular devise.

I've also got Blackout (Cal and Niko Series #6) by Rob Thurman and The Tiger's Wife. I think I'll start the Tiger tonight because I need a break from fantasy. I also want to read three stories by Poe.   

Contributor
Kegan

[ Edited ]

Just finished Chime by Franny Billingsley. Loved this book from start to finish. The words flowed like poetry, giving the book a turn of the century feel. Much like Lewis Carrol and L.Frank Baum. The story itself felt utterly unique, a refreshing quality in young adult paranormal literature today.

"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting."
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

dalnewt wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Last I read PGA has decided to feature Late Eclipses (October Daye Series #4) in April, so I plan to hold off reading it until the end of the month. I'll also check out The Monster of Florence  and First Grave on the Right. But I'm kind of maxed out on grim reaper fantasy right now. I've just read too many books that utilize that particular devise.

I've also got Blackout (Cal and Niko Series #6) by Rob Thurman and The Tiger's Wife. I think I'll start the Tiger tonight because I need a break from fantasy. I also want to read three stories by Poe.   

I have "The Tigers Wife" to order Thanks for posting and recommending it,,Its been quite The Buzz '''"You should enjoy "The Monster of Florence"  unsettling...pen and I cancelled our Italian Holiday..I would probably get arrested...LOL..Then another book could be written....Which is always a treat...I haven't read Poe in such a long time..enjoy..We all seem to Balance out our Reading Life...Which accounts for such a Great Group here...If I get through the 2 I have left in The October Daye Series,,I will read "Late Eclipses".I really like her Style...

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Vermont

Balance is the key. I love UF and Fantasy, but I need a break once in a while. Others may need to switch more often. It's an individual thing. Sometimes it feels like my mind is spinning around like a hamster on a wheel. That's when I know I should switch to something different to read. Also, if I keep pushing on one genre, I'll just burn out on it and wouldn't enjoy a good book even if it hit me over the head with awesomeness.

pen21
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

Vermont

Balance is the key. I love UF and Fantasy, but I need a break once in a while. Others may need to switch more often. It's an individual thing. Sometimes it feels like my mind is spinning around like a hamster on a wheel. That's when I know I should switch to something different to read. Also, if I keep pushing on one genre, I'll just burn out on it and wouldn't enjoy a good book even if it hit me over the head with awesomeness.

Monster of Florence was a nice break. A non-fiction/true crime was totally different. And like Susan said, no trip to Italy for us. We would get into too much trouble.