Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Re: New and Recommended

New and Recommended - is the afterlife horror book Exposed World

I would put this on the reading list next...if you're not too scared...:smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

MrsWaki wrote:

New and Recommended - is the afterlife horror book Exposed World

I would put this on the reading list next...if you're not too scared...:smileywink:

Is it more of a Charles de Lint or a Kim Harrison kind of vibe?

Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Exposed World is more of an 'oh, that's pretty weird and scary'... more of a 'that put chills down my spine' vibe.  I would say more so a Kim Harrison vibe.  It's a very esoteric book that made me read it 7 times... ........yea, i'm a horror buff :smileyhappy:

Exposed World by Jerome Christopher King: Book Cover

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

"A novel so terrifying, only Publish America was brave enough to touch it!"
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Yes, a novel so terrifying is true..lol.  As far as terrifying novels go, I also recommend Ghost Story by Peter Straub, 2.  Usher's Passing by Robert McCammon, and 3.  Swan Song by Robert McCammon
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MrsWaki wrote:
Yes, a novel so terrifying is true..lol.  As far as terrifying novels go, I also recommend Ghost Story by Peter Straub, 2.  Usher's Passing by Robert McCammon, and 3.  Swan Song by Robert McCammon

Swan Song – a truly underappreciated work of classic apocalyptic fiction!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
AllanAzouz
0 Kudos

Hopefully I'm not being egotistical when I cite similarities between Shadows of Souls and the Anita Blake series. The similarity is that we both embrace darkness in our writing. We create characters who are unrepentingly evil. The paranormal in our books is expressed within the context of the "normal" world. (Even though Hamilton creates a world wherein vampirism is part of the normal existence, it is a world that reflects our own.)

The novel upon which I am currently working is a vampire novel, so perhaps I will be able to draw more parallels upon its completion.

Contributor
AllanAzouz
0 Kudos

Ghost Story is brilliant. The plot, style and characterizations draw the reader into the events.
Contributor
lunera
0 Kudos

AllanAzouz wrote:

Hopefully I'm not being egotistical when I cite similarities between Shadows of Souls and the Anita Blake series.

The novel upon which I am currently working is a vampire novel, so perhaps I will be able to draw more parallels upon its completion.

Well thanks for your recommendation, I just so happen to enjoy the Anita Blake series and any books that share some similarities seem to be worth a read. Currently I'm trying to purchase the book for my own.

Good luck on your vampire novel, it is my favorite subject to read about. If it's not rude to ask, where are you planning on heading with your vampire novel?

"Dream to Live or Live to Dream"
Contributor
AllanAzouz
0 Kudos

Not rude at all. I don't want to give too much away on a public forum, but it is set in late medieval times, and has an unusual "gimmick." I am a linguist, and am using my knowledge of medieval language to flavor the prose.  I find that I write about dark characters without letting them apologize in the least for their evil. I am using the whole vampire subculture/hierarchy thing rather than the lone vampire.
Contributor
lunera
0 Kudos

Well, thank you. Now I'm even more intrigued about it. Can't wait to actually read it.

I am currently reading Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. Finally found something that I hadn't read yet. Im still in the beginning, has anyone read it and what were your opinions about it?

"Dream to Live or Live to Dream"
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I just finished teh third book in that series. I really liked it. I will be starting the fourth.

Look for the Sookie Stackhouse thread on this page.

lunera wrote:

Well, thank you. Now I'm even more intrigued about it. Can't wait to actually read it.

I am currently reading Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. Finally found something that I hadn't read yet. Im still in the beginning, has anyone read it and what were your opinions about it?

Frequent Contributor
JohnnyAnderson
0 Kudos

MrsWaki wrote:

Exposed World is more of an 'oh, that's pretty weird and scary'... more of a 'that put chills down my spine' vibe.  I would say more so a Kim Harrison vibe.  It's a very esoteric book that made me read it 7 times... ........yea, i'm a horror buff :smileyhappy:

Exposed World by Jerome Christopher King: Book Cover

I read this too a while back.  One of the most attention-grabbing books i've ever read.  Good looking out MrsWaki. 

-Born to read stuff- :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
Paranormal77
0 Kudos

I know that this is off topic from the book that you are reading, but I am currently finishing a book from the author Rachel Vincent.  The book, soft cover just came out not too long ago, is titled Prey.  I just wanted to let you all know about a great book.  Prey 

~Paranormal 77
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Homes
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AllanAzouz wrote:

The similarity is that we both embrace darkness in our writing. We create characters who are unrepentingly evil.

So your work is as much like J.K. Rowling as it is like Laurell K. Hamilton?

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 08-16-2009 12:49 AM
Derek Tatum
Contributor
AllanAzouz
0 Kudos

It's more Hamilton than Rawling by far. It's not for the kiddies. The premise is that an aborted fetus comes back for revenge. I definitely can't see that happening in the  Potter series. Whose would it be? Bellatrix's?
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

AllanAzouz wrote:
It's more Hamilton than Rawling by far. It's not for the kiddies. The premise is that an aborted fetus comes back for revenge. I definitely can't see that happening in the  Potter series. Whose would it be? Bellatrix's?

I'm just trying to get a better handle on how your book fits into the urban fantasy genre.

Derek Tatum
Contributor
AllanAzouz
0 Kudos

I guess I took the Paranormal and Urban Fantasy as being either/or. Shadows of Souls is more Paranormal Suburban Fantasy.
Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

Shameless self publicity :smileytongue:
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

sifu-hotman wrote:
Shameless self publicity :smileytongue:

You called it.