Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Re: New and Recommended

LordRuthven wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

It is Darker than what I am use to

I'm intrigued. I have seen those two books, but haven't had much incentive to check them out. But if they are darker than usual, I might enjoy them.

Toni had another comment in the "What are you currently reading" thread.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Yeah, I read that other comment and now I am having second thoughts.
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nelsmom wrote:

Has anyone read Natasha Rhodes books Dante's Girl and The Last Angel? I have got Dante's Girl and have started reading it and so far like it. It is Darker than what I am use to so those that like the Darker Fantasy would proably like this series. I know that she has a third book in the series that is to come out next year.

Toni

Toni:

I reviewed Natasha Rhodes' Dante's Girl for BN.com back in '07. I've read so many books since then I honestly forgot a lot about it but here's my review if you need a "critique." Evidently, I enjoyed it! :smileywink:

Paul

The Barnes & Noble Review
This novel by Natasha Rhodes (best known for movie novelizations and motion picture tie-ins like Blade: Trinity, Final Destination: The Movie 1, and A Nightmare on Elm Street: Perchance to Dream) is an action-packed supernatural thriller that is as wildly erotic as it is utterly readable.

For Kayla Steele -- a street-savvy Southern California babe with a "to-die-for" body and an aversion to wearing underwear -- her upcoming date with handsome and mysterious boyfriend Karrel Dante is going to be a turning point in her life; he's finally going to pop the question. But before Dante is able to meet his beautiful bride-to-be, he's killed -- mauled to death by werewolves. When he miraculously returns from the dead, however, Kayla learns that he was a Hunter, part of an underground organization dedicated to wiping out dangerous supernatural beings. Vowing to avenge her lover's death, Kayla begins a journey that will lead her directly into the sordid underbelly of Los Angeles...

The sheer tonnage of dark fantasy/paranormal romance hybrids being currently released is absolutely mind-boggling. The success of authors like Laurell K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, and Kelley Armstrong has created a virtual feeding frenzy for novels that feature strong, sexy, butt-kicking female protagonists who are more often than not passionately involved with one or more supernatural studs (vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc.). And while Dante's Girl will undoubtedly be categorized as such, Rhodes's exceedingly witty and vividly descriptive writing style -- not to mention her ability to keep the narrative's pacing consistently pedal-to-the-metal -- place this novel a cut above the rest. Smart, sexy, and oh so satisfying! Paul Goat Allen

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 10-23-2008 09:30 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
CandyThompson
0 Kudos

Great list, but I would like to add a few others

Rape of the Soul by Dawn Thompson

The Bride of Time by Dawn Thompson

Prisoner of the Flames by Dawn Thompson

Down Home Ever Lovin' Mule Blues by Jacquie Rogers

Knight's Fork by Rowena Cherry

all these are well worth the time.

Candy

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I was at my local BN today and found a bew author, Maria Lima.  Her book is Matters Of Blood.  She is orginally from Matanza, Cuba but now lives in Washington D.C.  She is a journalist but this is her first novel.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

I was at my local BN today and found a bew author, Maria Lima.  Her book is Matters Of Blood.  She is orginally from Matanza, Cuba but now lives in Washington D.C.  She is a journalist but this is her first novel.

Toni

Toni, I got this recently, myself. I hope to get to it soon.

Carol

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

CandyThompson wrote:

Down Home Ever Lovin' Mule Blues by Jacquie Rogers

Is that fantasy?

Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Toni wrote--

I was at my local BN today and found a new author, Maria Lima.  Her book is Matters Of Blood.  She is orginally from Matanza, Cuba but now lives in Washington D.C.  She is a journalist but this is her first novel.

Hi Toni,

I saw the book - Matters of the Blood and it caught my eye.  It sounds good. 

Phyllis
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I haven't read it yet but in the back of the book is a teaser for the second book in the series that will be out in the fall of next year.  I am going to get to it after I finish Fortune and Fate by Sharon Shinn.

Toni

PhyllisJ wrote:
Toni wrote--

I was at my local BN today and found a new author, Maria Lima.  Her book is Matters Of Blood.  She is orginally from Matanza, Cuba but now lives in Washington D.C.  She is a journalist but this is her first novel.

Hi Toni,

I saw the book - Matters of the Blood and it caught my eye.  It sounds good. 

Toni L. Chapman
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Toni wrote--I haven't read it yet but in the back of the book is a teaser for the second book in the series that will be out in the fall of next year.  I am going to get to it after I finish Fortune and Fate by Sharon Shinn

Hi Toni,

I was thinking about picking it up.  I have to go to Barnes and Noble and pick up Magic to the Bone as well,  I lucked out with Wolfsbane and Mistletoe and Ghost Radio, my library ordered them and I have them on reserve.  :smileyhappy:

Phyllis
Correspondent
kitkat3ny
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have noticed Natasha Rhodes's books as well.  I didn't realize they were darker.  I'll have to look into them.  I may give them a chance.
Message Edited by kitkat3ny on 11-17-2008 11:15 AM
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Toni wrote--

I was at my local BN today and found a new author, Maria Lima.  Her book is Matters Of Blood.  She is originally from Matanza, Cuba but now lives in Washington D.C.  She is a journalist but this is her first novel.

Hi Toni,

Did you get a chance to read this book yet, if so what did you think of it?  I just received my copy in the mail over the weekend?

Phyllis
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Phyllis,

I haven't get because the books for this month and Swallowing Darkness came in and I gave them top priority.  Hoping to get to it this week if I don't let Ender In Exile get in the way.  It arrived today with Anne and Todd McCaffrey's book DragonHeart.  Also Obert Skye's book Pillage was in the package.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Toni wrote--I haven't get because the books for this month and Swallowing Darkness came in and I gave them top priority.  Hoping to get to it this week if I don't let Ender In Exile get in the way.  It arrived today with Anne and Todd McCaffrey's book DragonHeart.  Also Obert Skye's book Pillage was in the package

Hi Toni,

I understand.  :smileywink:  I am reading a mystery now with the title, In the Night of the Heat,  and then I  I am going to read Magic to the Bone and the Library called to alert me that Ghost Radio arrived so I am going to pick that one up tomorrow.  I am on the list for Wolfsbane and Mistletoe, but I am number seven in line so hopefully they get more than one copy.  :smileyhappy:

Phyllis
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Though YA, I would like to recommend Glass Houses, the first book in Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire series, to vamp fiction fans. This book is a fun read, with non-stop action and scary vampires.

Carol

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

I saw that John Levitt's "New Tricks" has been released for all you dog-people put there.
Derek Tatum
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I was at my local BN today (Payday) and got Blood Memories by Barb Hendee.  It is her first Paranormal/Urban Fantasy solo book.  I haven't read it yet but I checked her Website where she said that she has turned in the second book in the series and will shortly be posting the cover art work.  So if anyone has read it did you think it was as good as The Nobledead series?

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

"Vampire Agent" by Patricia Rosemoor and Marc Paoletti just came out, as did the novelization of "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans" by Greg Cox.
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I have a couple of recommendation. I have no idea if these books have already been apart of the book club or not, but they are some of my personal favorites.

Darkness Chosen Series by Christina Dodd

1. Scent of Darkness

2. Touch of Darkness

3. Into the Shadows

4. Into the Flame

Morgan Kingsley Series by Jenna Black

1. Devil Inside

2. Devil You Know

3. Devil's Due

4. Speak of the Devil (7-28-09)

Myth and Magic Series by Keri Arthur

1. Destiny Kills

Thats all I can think of for now. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. :smileyhappy:

--Kacie

Happy Reading :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Kacie,

Good reccommendations to the newbies to Paranormal/Urban Fantasy.  We sort of use this if we find a book that has not been talked about in other threads so that we don't start a new thread for every book.  Sometimes it does help to check out the other pages in this bookclub and refresh an appropriate thread by adding your comments.  We have talked about Jenna Black's books as well as the Darkness Chosen series when they came out.  Feel free to add books you would like to reccommend or that are new here because I'm just trying to help you out with leting you know that you can find out what we thought of books on the old threads.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman