Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Re: New and Recommended

So I was in the bookstore yesterday and came accross this one...sounds pretty good!

Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland:

Cop and conjurer of demons, she''s a woman in danger of losing control-to a power that could kill....

Why me? Why now? That's what Beaulac, Louisiana, detective Kara Gillian was asking herself when an angelic creature named Rhyzkahl unexpectedly appeared during a routine summoning. Kara was hoping to use her occult skills to catch a serial killer, but never had she conjured anything like this unearthly beautiful and unspeakably powerful being whose very touch set off exquisite new dimensions of pleasure. But can she enlist his aid in helping her stop a killer who's already claimed the lives-and souls-of thirteen people? And should she? The Symbol Man is a nightmare that the city thought had ended three years ago. Now he's back for an encore and leaving every indication on the flesh of his victims that he, too, is well versed in demonic lore.

Kara may be the only cop on Beaulac's small force able to stop the killer, but it is her first homicide case. Yet with Rhyzkahl haunting her dreams, and a handsome yet disapproving FBI agent dogging her waking footsteps, she may be in way over her head...

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Hi Teresa, you and I are on the same page, I just ordered this book as well as the one that Derek mentioned in the post prior to yours.  I love to read, it is so much fun.  LOL.
Phyllis
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

To funny Phyllis!  LOL  

I just picked up the lastest Alien Huntress novel by Gena Showalter (Seduce the Darkness) and Servant: The Acceptance by L.L. Foster, although I still need the first one!  :-)

I just finished Street Magic tonight...very enjoyable book!  Now just trying to decide on what to read next while I wait for my 10+ releases at the end of the month, LOL!  Hmmmmm, eenie meenie miney mo......

New User
HopelessRomantic82
0 Kudos

I know technically I shouldn't be recommending a book that isn't out yet, but I'm so excited about the 4th edition to the Night Huntress series coming out 7/28. Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost is going to be just as good as her 3 previous books in the series. I can't get enough of Bones and Cat!!
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Hi Teresa, I love you read and so do you.  LOL.  My life is in tumoil again.  I moved Marc 7th, 09 to Fontana, it is in CA, but I am from Long Beach..  I have lived in Long Beach for 30 years.  Long story short, Fontana isn't working out for me and I am moving back to Long Beach.  What is really funny is my former apt is still vacant, it is almost like it has been waiting for me.

Now I have to pack up to go back to LB, but I am so happy to be going back.  I hated it here in Fontana.  LOL.

Phyllis
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

PhyllisJ wrote:

Hi Teresa, I love you read and so do you.  LOL.  My life is in tumoil again.  I moved Marc 7th, 09 to Fontana, it is in CA, but I am from Long Beach..  I have lived in Long Beach for 30 years.  Long story short, Fontana isn't working out for me and I am moving back to Long Beach.  What is really funny is my former apt is still vacant, it is almost like it has been waiting for me.

Now I have to pack up to go back to LB, but I am so happy to be going back.  I hated it here in Fontana.  LOL.

Phyl:

Are you kidding me?!? Ugh. That's just gut-wrenching. I hate moving .... but I guess it forces you to "pare down" at least... Should I say" Welcome Home" shortly?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Hi Paul, It is awful to have to move again after 4 short months. I moved out here to Fontana stay with my Sister and my Brother-in-Law. My Sister felt it would help them out. It just didn't work for us, I am used to living alone and she is used to being alone with her husband. Plus Long Beach is a beach city and much cooler, it is so hot out here right now, it has been hitting 105 degrees. Fontana is so isolated and I had to use GPS to find my way anywhere. In Long Beach, everything is so close by. My sister didn't really have enought room for me, my jewerly is still packed in a box and I had to stach my towels on top of a box in the spare bedroom. My sister told me I had to many books and I should get rid of them all, I donated quite a lot of them, but I do love my books. She wanted to give away my brand new microwave, etc and I felt to crowded. I had just purchased new pots and pans, cocffee pot and microwave and she wanted it gone. I suggested a storage. I finally told her that I was having a hard tme living with her and she said, oh good, I am glad you spoke out, it has been hard for me, she said she is used to just herself and her husband. Plus I hate this city and I wasn't adjusting to it at all. In Long Beach , there are 2 Barnes and Nobles within 4 miles of my apt. I had to drive 15 miles here to find a BN, it was in another city. I hate moving and packing but it is like fate that my same apt is still sitting empty, just waiting for me. I am happy to be going back to LB
Phyllis
Reader 2
FireFly191
0 Kudos

Thanks that list was helpfull
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

PhyllisJ wrote:

Aw Phyllis that sucks...but it sounds like it's for the better in the end.  :-)  If you were happier where you were than I'm sure it's the right decision.  It's almost like being at a job you hate...you just can't stay...it drags you down and makes you unhappy, period.  You need to do what's best for you.  I hope everything works out for you!  I wouldn't like someone telling me to get rid of my stuff either...I've been on my own for so long I don't think I could adjust to that either.
Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74
0 Kudos

PhyllisJ wrote:

Awe Phyllis! I am so sorry that it didn't work out in Fontana, but I totally understand your feelings.  I felt the same way when I moved inland.  I haven't been able to make the move back to the beach yet, but I am getting closer.  Good luck on your move!!
Books...Never leave home without them
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

Unclean Spirits (The Black Son's Daughter Series #1)  

I found this at the bookstore today.  Has anyone read anything about it?  I picked it up, but I probably won't get to it right away.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

FaeryQueen wrote:
Unclean Spirits (The Black Son's Daughter Series #1)  

I found this at the bookstore today.  Has anyone read anything about it?  I picked it up, but I probably won't get to it right away.

I read it when it first came out and really liked the book.  I am looking forward to reading more of the series.  I hope you enjoy it too.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
Chomp

[ Edited ]

I just finished this book and highly recommend it: Dying Bites by D.D. Barant.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Dying-Bites/DD-Barant/e/9780312942588/

Carol

Message Edited by Chomp on 08-05-2009 04:47 PM
So many books, so little time...
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Teresa wrote--

PhyllisJ wrote:

Aw Phyllis that sucks...but it sounds like it's for the better in the end.  :-)  If you were happier where you were than I'm sure it's the right decision.  It's almost like being at a job you hate...you just can't stay...it drags you down and makes you unhappy, period.  You need to do what's best for you.  I hope everything works out for you!  I wouldn't like someone telling me to get rid of my stuff either...I've been on my own for so long I don't think I could adjust to that either.

Current book(s): Cape Storm by Rachel

Hi Teresa,  Thanks for the kind words, well I am back in Long Beach in my own apt.  I moved in on Aug 1st.  I am almost all unpacked, I have about 4 more boxes to go.  What a bad experience though and an expensive one.  Glad to be back in my own space.
Phyllis
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Reader Gal--Awe Phyllis! I am so sorry that it didn't work out in Fontana, but I totally understand your feelings.  I felt the same way when I moved inland.  I haven't been able to make the move back to the beach yet, but I am getting closer.  Good luck on your move!! 

Hi Reader Gal,  oh Thank you so much for the support, I am back in Long Beach.  I moved last Saturday.  I got my cable, internet and phone hooked up on Sunday.
Phyllis
Contributor
lunera
0 Kudos

I need a little help here. I have officially run out of books to read :smileysad: Since I rely on my public library for books to read I just can't seem to find any new, good series to read. I  liked reading the Fever series and the Drakon series. Basically I like reading just about anything paranormal. So do you guys have any "hard to put down" book suggestions? :smileysad:
"Dream to Live or Live to Dream"
Contributor
AllanAzouz
0 Kudos

I'd like to recommend my horror novel, Shadows of Souls. It puts an unusual spin on the ghost genre. You can ask your librarian to order it. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Souls-Allan-W-Azouz/dp/1603181148/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=12497...

If you do read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

AllanAzouz wrote:

I'd like to recommend my horror novel, Shadows of Souls.

Hey Allan, would you compare your writing more to Jim Butcher or more towards Laurell K. Hamilton?

Derek Tatum
Contributor
AllanAzouz
0 Kudos

Of the two, I am definitely more Laurell K. Hamilton than Jim Butcher, but probably more on the Ann Rice and Peter Straub side. Speaking of Peter Straub, his old novel Ghost Story is definitely worth a read. It is one of my favorite works of horror.
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

What elements in your book are similar to Laurell K. Hamilton?
Derek Tatum