Contributor
Douglas-Clegg
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #3:Isis by Douglas Clegg

Carol,

I hope you enjoy it.  It's meant to be read in the October spirit of things -- no matter the actual month.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I am having a hard time getting a hold on a copy to read.  The Libraries copy hasn't arrived yet and I am number  135 on the hold list so I don't know when I will have a chance to read it and can;t enter the contest because I don;t know the scent so I will just have to wait and see when I get a hold of the book.  But that is the way my luck runs.  I hope this book does well for you.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
Douglas-Clegg
0 Kudos

Toni -

Sorry it's been tough to get hold of.  I'm glad to hear it's anticipated at your local library, though, and I hope you get a chance to read Isis soon. B&N, of course, has copies right here at the site.

Isis

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: The illustrations in Isis

Douglas-Clegg wrote:

Paul -

I'd love to know what people in the book club here enjoy the most?  What kinds of tales do they gravitate toward when it comes to the darker variety of tale?

I'd like to invite anyone dropping by to jump in on this. Thanks!

Well, I'm not the right person to ask this question to, Douglas, since I read anything and everything but when it comes to "dark fantasy" I particularly enjoy the classics – Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft, Algernon Blackwood, etc. – but I also love authors who are true "explorers," those who always seem to poke and prod the boundaries of dark fantasy, horror, weird or noir fiction, etc. I like Brian Keene, Duane Swierczynski, Joe R. Lansdale, Lucius Shepard, Adam Pepper, etc.

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
LuvReading
0 Kudos

Wish I would have checked here earlier!  I plan on buying this for my October reading.  I'm going to go out and get it tomorrow so I may join in the discussion.  I've heard nothing but good things about this book!

Cheers,

Tamme

Contributor
Douglas-Clegg
0 Kudos

Tamme - Thanks.

Meantime, to prepare for Halloween, I'm putting together a list of spooky stories worth reading:

The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs

The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

Pickman's Model by H.P. Lovecraft

Turn of the Screw by Henry James

The Horla by Guy de Maupassant

The Circle by Lewis Shiner (this is a great one!)

Children of the Corn by Stephen King

Mr. Clubb and Mr. Cuff by Peter Straub

Pretty much any short story by Ramsey Campbell. Every tale this guy has written provokes shivers.

Add some to this list? What is your quintessential Halloween reading list?

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

For me I always like to read

The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

Sunshine by Robin McKinnely

Black Oak series by Charles L. Grant which consist of

Genesis

The Hush Of Dark Wings

Winter Knight

Hunting Ground, Vol. 4 

When Cold Winds Blow

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
LuvReading
0 Kudos

Toni,

I was able to find a copy at my local B&N.  So glad I found it, and there was only one left!  I'm going to start reading this evening.

Regards,

Tammie

Frequent Contributor
LuvReading
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Douglas,

Thank you for posting this list.  I see some great names in here and I already have a few in my library.  "The Turn of the Screw" is also on my October reading list.

One thing I like to read out loud every October - The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe.  It's haunting and beautiful in so many ways and when read aloud you can hear the way Poe must have thought it to sound himself.

I also recommend any local ghost/folk lore for anyone who likes short stories.  I live in Frederick, MD and grew up just outside of D.C. with lots of interesting ghosts stories covering many locations.

Happy reading you to Douglas and everyone!

Regards,

Tammie

Frequent Contributor
LuvReading
0 Kudos

Toni,

I read the B&N description of the Charles Grant novel you have pictured and it sounds like a wonderful series!  That's most definitely going on my paranormal list.

Regards,

Tammie

Contributor
Douglas-Clegg
0 Kudos

I can't believe it's already Friday!

I hope you've picked up Isis -- Barnes and Noble has them in-store in the Science Fiction/Fantasy area, and of course, here on BN.com right here:

Isis

I just found out I'll be on a late-night national radio show, Coast-to-Coast, following the excellent writer, Max Brooks, this coming Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Details here:

Check out the zombies & resurrection night at Coast to Coast Radio

My segment is from 12 midnight to 2 a.m. Pacific/3 to 5, Eastern (yep, I'll be up from 3-5!)

What's everyone reading in preparation for Halloween?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Douglas-Clegg wrote:

What's everyone reading in preparation for Halloween?

I recently read John Connolly's The Gates, which is the PERFECT Halloween read! It's classified as an "adult book for children" and it was an absolute blast! Below is my brief review....

Paul

Bestselling Irish crime fiction novelist John Connolly may be best known for his gritty mystery series featuring private investigator Charlie Parker (Every Dead Thing, Dark Hollow, The Killing Kind, et. al.) but this Halloween, he is offering up something a little different for his fans a comical dark fantasy for young adult readers that chronicles the misadventures of precocious, 11-year old Samuel Johnson and his trusty sidekick Boswell the dachshund as they try to close a portal into Hell and avert the end of the world as we know it. 

It's a few days before Halloween but Samuel figures he can get a jump on the competition by trick-or-treating early. But when he knocks on the door of a nearby neighbor - who happens to live at 666 Crowley Road - he senses something strange is going on inside and investigates. Peeking in through a basement window, Samuel watches as four black robed adults read passages from an arcane book and accidentally open up a gate into Hell itself! Demons quickly take possession of the four ill-fated humans and begin to lay the groundwork for the arrival of Satan, or The Great Malevolence. "The Big Bad" is indeed coming and soon Earth will be nothing more than a planetary wasteland ruled by demons.

But Samuel and Boswell aren't so easily defeated and, with the help of a minor demon named Nurd (who has a thing for jelly beans and fast cars), the end of the world may just be able to be prevented...

Billed as an adult book for children, The Gates is a tough book to properly categorize – it’s downright frightening in places but also laugh-out-loud funny in others.

Some of the minor demons are straight out of a lost Monty Python episode – “Schwell, the Demon of Uncomfortable Shoes; Ick, the Demon of Unpleasant Things Discovered in Plug Holes During Cleaning; Graham, the Demon of Stale Biscuits and Crackers; Mavis, the Demon of Inappropriate Names for men; and last, and quite possibly least, Erics’, the Demon of Bad Punctuation.”

But the Pratchett-esque humor is intertwined with some seriously scary subject matter, at least for some young children. Here’s how Connolly describes Satan: “…from its head sprouted a crown of bone. It wore black armor carved with the name of every man and woman who had ever been born on earth, and who would ever be born, in order that it would never forget its hatred for them. In its right hand it held a flaming spear, and on its left arm it bore a shield made from the skulls and bones of the damned, for in every evil man and woman there was something of the great Malevolence, and when they died he claimed their remains for himself.”

It’s difficult for a storyline to be simultaneously scary and funny but Connolly succeeds in grand fashion with The Gates. Adults will not only appreciate the addictively readable, fast-paced narrative but also the literary references – Crowley Road, Lovecraft Grove, Poe Street, etc. – and young adults will enjoy the dark humor and memorable one-liners (“Bishop Bernard also believed there were few problems in life that couldn’t be solved by sticking a hot poker up somebody’s bottom…”)

Featuring a heroic boy and his loyal dog, a 17-mile long particle accelerator, armies of demons, and unearthed zombies, The Gates is dark, quirky, and undeniably entertaining – the perfect Halloween read for adults and kids alike.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
LuvReading
0 Kudos

Comments on Isis: SPOILER ALERT

If you haven't finished the book yet, you may want to skip my comments for now..

Well, one of my first reads in preparation for Halloween was Isis and I loved it!  Very haunting with just the right atmosphere for its genre.  i really liked how the relationship between Isis and her brother were developed, you could really feel her pain when he died.  I kind of wish you would have killed off her governess (she was horrible LOL!).  But I also like the fact that you took a different approach as sometimes evil triumps.  It's just the way the world works sometimes.

It seems Isis' family (except for her beloved brother) was quite indifferent to everything going on around them and they only focused on their own lives and situations, which makes Isis' situation all the more tragic.  And not only does she have to grieve over her brother's death, but she must do so alone. 

When she brings him back from the dead, we see the conflict in her love for her brother and her selfish desparation to have him back to comfort her, although she didn't know what a great "life' he had in eternity.  Was this something she should have known?  Or was she in such despair she didn't even think of the consequences?

The ending was left to much speculation.  Did he really die and go back to his paradise, or will he be forever trapped in the coffin?  Will Isis ever go back to check on him?  Hmmmm... I'm wondering if we get a second story here (I sure hope so!!).

I have to comment on the illustrations as they fit the story perfectly and made for a great paranormal atmosphere while reading.

Overall, I really loved this story, the characters, setting and plot were well thought-out and many of us with siblings (like myself) could identfy with these characters in some way.  Bravo on this one and I will be purchasing more of your books in the very near future (I have to admit, I'm sorry I haven't found you sooner!).

Happy Halloween,

Tammie

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Comments on Isis: SPOILER ALERT

LuvReading wrote:
Well, one of my first reads in preparation for Halloween was Isis and I loved it!  Very haunting with just the right atmosphere for its genre.  i really liked how the relationship between Isis and her brother were developed, you could really feel her pain when he died.  I kind of wish you would have killed off her governess (she was horrible LOL!).  But I also like the fact that you took a different approach as sometimes evil triumps.  It's just the way the world works sometimes.

It seems Isis' family (except for her beloved brother) was quite indifferent to everything going on around them and they only focused on their own lives and situations, which makes Isis' situation all the more tragic.  And not only does she have to grieve over her brother's death, but she must do so alone. 

When she brings him back from the dead, we see the conflict in her love for her brother and her selfish desparation to have him back to comfort her, although she didn't know what a great "life' he had in eternity.  Was this something she should have known?  Or was she in such despair she didn't even think of the consequences?

The ending was left to much speculation.  Did he really die and go back to his paradise, or will he be forever trapped in the coffin?  Will Isis ever go back to check on him?  Hmmmm... I'm wondering if we get a second story here (I sure hope so!!).

Great comments, Tammie – I'm glad you'd enjoyed the book as much as I did. I'm not sure I agree with the "evil triumphs" line though. There certainly were evil – or st least indifferent – characters in Isis but for it wasn't so much about good vs. evil as it was about love and loss. The love between brother and sister here is palatable – it is a strength, a power,  a force. But when the brother dies, Iris feels as though that strength, that connection, is now lost  – and she wants it back at any cost because without her brother, life is not worth living.....

I've lost some dearly loved friends and family members in my life and I completely understand Iris' initial feelings. If only she realized that that love doesn't "die" – that strength and power are still there... If she had only thought, "how would my brother want me to live my life? Would he want me to be happy? Would he want me to seek out and achieve my dreams?"

For me, Isis will always be about the pitfalls of loss – and how the best of intentions can, well, pave a road to somewhere hot!    :smileyhappy:

Paul

Contributor
Douglas-Clegg
0 Kudos

Isis

Thanks for all these great notes about Isis. I've been reading various communities here at Barnes & Noble and have enjoyed them all.

What are you doing for Halloween this year?

I'm  just decorating the porch, passing out candy to the local kids, and maybe doing some pumpkin carving.

But also, I'll be reading some spooky stories. Who's going to read the new Stephen King novel, Under the Dome, the week it comes out? Me.

But this week, I'll be adding some paranormals and old favorites -- like Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher as well as some Arthur Machen. There's also a Peter Straub novel calling my name right now.

I have some Halloween goodies for you -- and of course, a big thank you to Paul for having me as a guest.

First, I've got a free ebook called Halloween Candy, which has three short stories of horror within it -- just a little bit of a treat with a slight trick to it.

If you'd like to pick it up, just go here to find out how to get it (free).

Next, there are cool Isis widgets and avatars and desktop wallpaper, too. Just go here to pick 'em up.

Here is just one of the desktop wallpapers created from Glenn Chadbourne's cool illustrations:

And because I'm a huge proponent of animal rescue -- our cat, dog, rabbits and even mouse are all rescues from shelters, pounds and rescue groups -- I can't leave off today without a photo of one of our rabbits, Rosemary, taking a nap. On a rainy day like today, I want to take one, too.

If you're thinking about getting a pet, please consider your shelter, pound or local animal rescue groups first. Thanks!

-- Douglas Clegg

Contributor
Douglas-Clegg
0 Kudos

Thank you, Tammie.

[ Edited ]

Tammie wrote:

"Well, one of my first reads in preparation for Halloween was Isis and I loved it!  Very haunting with just the right atmosphere for its genre."

Tammie - thank you. And those illustrations really create a haunting atmosphere for the story, too -- don't they?  Glenn Chadbourne is fantastic and will be illustrating my next book, a full-length novel that comes out this coming spring.

Thanks for reading Isis, Tammie -

-- Douglas Clegg

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

That Black Oak series DOES sound pretty good...has any one read these or others in the series? 

I'm about 3/4 through The Strain so it makes for a good, scary Halloween book.  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

0-09-2009 11:48 PM

Carol,

I hope you enjoy it.  It's meant to be read in the October spirit of things -- no matter the actual month.

So many books, so little time...
Contributor
Douglas-Clegg
0 Kudos

Thanks to Paul and everyone who dropped by here. I enjoyed the month and it was great to hear from readers here.

October goes by too quickly. Hope everyone had a great Halloween!

Best,

Douglas Clegg

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Douglas-Clegg wrote:

Thanks to Paul and everyone who dropped by here. I enjoyed the month and it was great to hear from readers here.

October goes by too quickly. Hope everyone had a great Halloween!

Best,

Douglas Clegg

You too, Douglas – and thanks for talking about Isis with the readers here. Best of luck with the book this holiday season (it would make  great gift, people!)...

Paul