Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Hi my name is Teresa,

Here are a few series that are my fav's. Patricia Briggs (Alpha and Omega Series), (Mercy Thompson Series). Next is Keri Arthur, (Riley Jenson Guardian Series).

And last but not least my all time fav athur is Laurell K Hamilton, (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter), and ( Merideth Gentry Novels). Some say Anita Blake series start slow but by the 2nd/3rd your hooked. You wont want to put them down. One draw back there are over at least 18 books if not a couple more. I read every one, and hope she is comming out with another book in the Merideth novels! Good huntin, hope thiw nay these get you stated. Don't give up there r a lott of good reads ones to choose once you know were to look.

Tessa75:smileyhappy:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Wordsmith
Tess75

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

Hi rickertt,

Here is a list of some Paranormal Fantasy Series that have some sexuality but I'll try to find series that have more subject than sex. I'm not sure if you are into the Paranormal or more on like Romance Series based in the eighteenth century. So I'll suggest a little of both:smileyhappy:!

Paranormal Romance, 

Cry Wolf (Alpha and Omega Series #1)  

By: Patricia Briggs (Book One)

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson Series #1) 

Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian Series #1) 

Storm of Visions (Chosen Ones Series #1) 

Here are the Classic Romance

Rules of Surrender (Governess Brides Series #1) 

Scandalous Again (Switching Places Series #1) 

These are only a few that I can think of right now that has more story line. The "Governess Series" was my favorite, but both series by Christina Dodd are good. If you like her she has a lot more series on that order. Happy Reading:smileyhappy:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Reader
angel-lover
0 Kudos

who is the book sunshine by? whats it about?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

angel-lover wrote:

The Barnes & Noble Review
Fans of Laurell K. Hamilton's sexy vampire executioner, Anita Blake, are going to devour Robin McKinley's Sunshine, which revolves around the tenuous relationship between Rae "Sunshine" Seddon, a baker obsessed with the dark side, and a centuries-old vampire named Constantine.

Sunshine's mundane existence as the head baker at Charlie's Coffeehouse takes an unexpected turn when she drives to her grandmother's secluded summer camp. While she is taking in the scenic view of the starlit sky reflecting off the lake's calm surface, she is attacked by a gang of vampires and brought to an abandoned mansion on the far side of the lake. They strip her of her shoes, dress her in a blood-red gown, and shackle her to a wall. In the semi-darkness of the moonlit room, she realizes that a vampire is shackled next to her. After some tense moments, the two begin to talk and quickly conclude that if they don't help each other escape, they're both as good as dead.

Sunshine is a dramatic departure for McKinley, who is best known for revisionist folklore works like The Door in the Hedge and The Outlaws of Sherwood, as well as highly acclaimed young adult fantasy like The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown, which won a Newbery Award in 1985. Sunshine, however, is definitely not a young adult novel: It's dark, edgy, sensual, humorous -- and a whole lot of fun. Paul Goat Allen

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

angel-lover wrote:

The Barnes & Noble Review
Fans of Laurell K. Hamilton's sexy vampire executioner, Anita Blake, are going to devour Robin McKinley's Sunshine, which revolves around the tenuous relationship between Rae "Sunshine" Seddon, a baker obsessed with the dark side, and a centuries-old vampire named Constantine.

Sunshine's mundane existence as the head baker at Charlie's Coffeehouse takes an unexpected turn when she drives to her grandmother's secluded summer camp. While she is taking in the scenic view of the starlit sky reflecting off the lake's calm surface, she is attacked by a gang of vampires and brought to an abandoned mansion on the far side of the lake. They strip her of her shoes, dress her in a blood-red gown, and shackle her to a wall. In the semi-darkness of the moonlit room, she realizes that a vampire is shackled next to her. After some tense moments, the two begin to talk and quickly conclude that if they don't help each other escape, they're both as good as dead.

Sunshine is a dramatic departure for McKinley, who is best known for revisionist folklore works like The Door in the Hedge and The Outlaws of Sherwood, as well as highly acclaimed young adult fantasy like The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown, which won a Newbery Award in 1985. Sunshine, however, is definitely not a young adult novel: It's dark, edgy, sensual, humorous -- and a whole lot of fun. Paul Goat Allen

angel-lover:

See below my review of Sunshine. Note, if you read the customer reviews some people couldn't finish this book because the vampire story-line is substantially encumbered with the protagonist's day-to-day experiences and musings.

Well Written, But Occasionally Aggravating  Customer Rating

Posted April 30, 2009, 12:25 AM EST: This vampire tale started out well, but then it seemed to get somewhat lost among Sunshine's internal ramblings on the politics/history of her supernatural world and the minutiae of being a coffee house baker. At first these diversions were interesting, especially as regards Sunshine's supernatural back-history and descriptions of her partially decimated world. But, as they turned more toward her signature recipes, boring day-to-day activities and definitions of various non-human species and their particular political treatment, I lost some interest. Note, the story had a unique sense of reality and immediacy with respect to the heroine's life and frightening (later provocative) confrontations with vampires and Constantine. Further, the characterizations were, for the most part, three or two dimensional. This realism and depth of character was partially due to the heroine's chatterbox antics which lent credibility, humor and atmosphere to the story. But, there was too much rhetoric that took precedence over the plot at times. Near the book's mid-point, I lost patience with the verbal overflow and started to skim over those parts not directly relevant to the linear time line. Not a hard thing to do, but a bit annoying/aggravating. About two-thirds through the book, the pace picked up noticeably as the plot returned in greater force. The ending was just about perfect. I hope there is a sequel minus about half the chatter.

P.S. Note, there never was any sequel.

Contributor
ZiaMarie
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Having noticed a lot of new explorers in the genre, and getting a gentle suggestion. I thought it might be nice to establish a beginners primer, a "HEY you REALLY need to read these!" list of suggestions. We all have our favorite series, but those are often the junk food. Every newbie needs a good solid meal. So join in guys, let's provide some meat and potatoes.

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Thanks for sharing this Witchy list

For some reason, I haven't really ventured into witch territory as much as I should and would like. Will look into these! (And ghosts too...i think that's next on my list!).

--- Zia

http://ziambooks.blogspot.com

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

[ Edited ]

Yasmine Galenorn is an acquaintance of mine and a very good friend of my best friend.  We used to talk pretty often for years before she was published in this genre, though we haven't spoken very often in the last few years.  She is an amazing woman and a very talented author.  Everyone interested in PUF must read her!

Contributor
lkpj
0 Kudos

Add LA Banks series withher Vampire Huntress series. She recently passed into the next realm, from A Lymphoma battle...so sad when you feel like a part of an author's life. She was a terrific strong woman of color who will be greatly missed by her family, friends and fans all! Try her books, you will be captivated by the blend of angels, demons, vampire huntress and a mythos that is/was truly unique! She also had a weres series, Crimson Moon series. AND a Neteru Academy series she had just begun, as well as a Dark Avengers series. Again, she will be missed by all!
Bookin' it forever!
Frequent Contributor
Tm-Moore

I noticed that the majority of series authors mentioned here were female. But I cut my teeth on Fred Saberhagen's Dracula series before Anne Rice's first vampire book came out. I started with the "Holmes/Dracula File" and went from there. I think I got to "A Question of Time" before I finally abandoned it because it was looking less and less like Dracula and more like general SF with Dracula in it.

I would mention my own series but it would look like I was spamming and I've got more integrity than that.

I have read everything everyone has mentioned. I even own a copy of "Gifts of Blood", a collection of short stories edited by Ellen Datlow. You won't find it anywhere; it was a very limited edition issued post-mortem. I also own "A Whisper of Blood", another collection.

Be sure to read the Penguin "Book of Vampire Stories", a fat little tome containing most of the classical works and short stories from Tolstoy to Saberhagen. I used most of these to educate myself about vampires and their ken. Montague Summers is a must read if you can find anything but the Dover edition (if you don't want to translate every paragraph which occurs in a different language: French, Greek, Latin and some English). Apparently our Mr. Summers expected those who read his books to speak those languages fluently. Suffice to say I was disappointed with having to pick up every other sentence which was not Greek and interpolate it among the French and English.

I tried reading "Twilight" and put it down again after 5 pages. The movies are much better.

Theresa M. Moore
Author of the Children of The Dragon vampire series and other fiction/nonfiction books http://www.antellus.com/
Contributor
Woofhoundz
0 Kudos

Some of my favorite authors/series are: Jacquelyn Frank - any of her series. NIGHTWALKERS, SHADOWDWELLERS - I've read them all. Christine Feehan 'DARK' series. G.A. Aiken, Deborah Cooke, Marjorie Liu, Lara Adrian, Bianca D'Arc are favorites also.
Contributor
manda85ky

ive been reading alot of posts on here trying to get new ideas for books to read and to see if it would jog my memorey of i book i read inthe past.. there are a lot of good authors mentioned but i noticed i didnt seee a few who are really good...

Nora Roberts- In the Garden series is really good

midnight bayu

Heather Graham- Adam Harrison Investigator series

Krewe of Hunters (which is a spin off series of the addam harrison series)

Sarah McCarty- Shadow wrangler series

New User
TheGuiltyBookmark
0 Kudos

Hello

I'm new to this forum but I did want to say thank you for adding these recommendations. I will be sure to check them out!