Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

[ Edited ]

Having noticed a lot of new explorers in the genre, and getting a gentle suggestion. I thought it might be nice to establish a beginners primer, a "HEY you REALLY need to read these!" list of suggestions. We all have our favorite series, but those are often the junk food. Every newbie needs a good solid meal. So join in guys, let's provide some meat and potatoes.

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore

Ghost Series you have to read

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent

Fae Series you have to read

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint

I know I've probably left a few out, and that are some even this old school fang bait has yet to discover. So all the rest of you long time readers to the genre, chime in they are counting on us.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

I would add:

Carrie Vaughn- Kitty Norville (Shapeshifters)
Lilith Saintcrow Dante Valantine (Demons-Psychics)
Lilith Saintcrow Watchers series (Witches)
Marjorie M. Lui  Dirk and Steele  (Psychics and shapeshifters)

Toni 
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

When it comes to "just series," without including standalones -

Vampires:
The Saint-Germain books - Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
Laws of the Blood - Susan Sizemore

Pseudo-vampires:
Dark-Hunters - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Derek Tatum
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Here are a few for me!  :smileyvery-happy:

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden Series - 6 books and #7 coming out in August - Great books!
Richelle Mead: Georgina Kincaid Series - 2 books (starting with Succubus Blues) - Title says it all. LOL
Kelly Armstrong: Women of the Underworld series starting with Bitten - 8 books total - shapshifters, etc.
Jeaniene Frost - Halfway to the Grave and One Foot in the Grave - Vampires

Of course both the Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series by Laurrell K. Hamilton!  They ROCK!!
My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Wordsmith
Chomp

In addition to those mentioned:

Faeries: Melissa Marr

Superheroes (for lack of a better designation): Vicki Pettersson

Humorous approaches to the paranormal:
Mary Janice Davidson
Katie MacAlister
Christopher Moore

Carol
So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen

TiggerBear:
You realize what you've done, don't you? You've opened Pandora's Box! I've got a few additions but instead of doing one or two at a time, let me make a list first then post it when I'm done...
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear

You realize what you've done, don't you? You've opened Pandora's Box! I've got a few additions but instead of doing one or two at a time, let me make a list first then post it when I'm done...
Paul
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well It seemed a little better than every newbie showing up with "hey any suggestions?".
Thought it would be good to coral them a little. (chuckle)But hey not the first time I opened that particular box. (grins)
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque

Great thread.  I agree with all these suggestions and there are a few I would add.  I probably will name a few here and `come back after I look up names of others I think of. 

Mercedes Lackey has a couple running collaborative series that are urban fantasy with vamps, fairies, and misc.... magical beings.  They were really what started me from pure fantasy and science fiction to this category (what ever this is).

Particularly, I would recommend Her whole "Elves on the Road Universe" starting with Beldlums Bard series with 9 books starting with "Bedlams Bard". 

From the same universe but running a different track is the Diane Tregarde series (three books starting with "Burning Water").

Also she collaborated with her husband to create in again the same universe the Serrated Edge series.  It would be easiest to start this series with the Omnibus Cromeborne". 

Lastly, She has a series that is from the same world but she goes through time that runs similar to our history and has Elves and such weaved into historical happenings in the Elemental Master series.   If it isn't the same world as the Elves on the Road series it is still a world with similar operating rules. 

Lily
A stand alone book, not by Lackey is "Sunshine".  There are others but I'll leave it here for now.  
Dude, Where's my book!
Frequent Contributor
LadyMercury
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Paul
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well It seemed a little better than every newbie showing up with "hey any suggestions?".
Thought it would be good to coral them a little. (chuckle)But hey not the first time I opened that particular box. (grins)

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm anxiously waiting to start reading P.N. Elrod. I read some of the first few pages and I'm already in love!!
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

LadyMercury wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm anxiously waiting to start reading P.N. Elrod. I read some of the first few pages and I'm already in love!!

I need to read the books she co-authored with Nigel Bennett, who was kind of the James Marsters of his day.
Derek Tatum
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I need to read the books she co-authored with Nigel Bennett, who was kind of the James Marsters of his day.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
They're ok. I never really liked the feel of them. Bought three, never got more than half past 2.
Might just be that I prefer her own singular take on things.(shrug)
TiggerBear

Well a new addition, much deserved.

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read
Majorie M Liu - The Iron Hunt

It's only the first book, but if the next is half as good.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

TiggerBear,

Who is the author for the Something Witchy series?  Sounds interesting.

Toi
Toni L. Chapman
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Something Witchy is a headline. Read the original post on the first page of this thread, you'll see what I mean.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks that answered my question especially since I have read all the authors you mentioned.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
Sovereignqueen

I second Mercedes Lackey.  The "Elves on the Road" and "SERRAted Edge" books were my introduction to Urban Fantasy.

~Suzanne

lilithesque wrote:
Great thread.  I agree with all these suggestions and there are a few I would add.  I probably will name a few here and `come back after I look up names of others I think of. 

Mercedes Lackey has a couple running collaborative series that are urban fantasy with vamps, fairies, and misc.... magical beings.  They were really what started me from pure fantasy and science fiction to this category (what ever this is).

Particularly, I would recommend Her whole "Elves on the Road Universe" starting with Beldlums Bard series with 9 books starting with "Bedlams Bard". 

From the same universe but running a different track is the Diane Tregarde series (three books starting with "Burning Water").

Also she collaborated with her husband to create in again the same universe the Serrated Edge series.  It would be easiest to start this series with the Omnibus Cromeborne". 

Lastly, She has a series that is from the same world but she goes through time that runs similar to our history and has Elves and such weaved into historical happenings in the Elemental Master series.   If it isn't the same world as the Elves on the Road series it is still a world with similar operating rules. 

Lily
A stand alone book, not by Lackey is "Sunshine".  There are others but I'll leave it here for now.  

~It's all Pictish to me~
paulgoatallen

This is completely tangential but Mercedes Lackey is an interesting author. I've read ...geez... more than two dozen of her novels over the years and while some are exceptional, some are really really bad (personal opinion, of course). If I had to suggest any Mercedes Lackey titles, I'd say her Valdemar novels are probably her best collective fantasy work – I particularly love "Take a Thief" and "Exile's Honor" –  and her Joust novels are pretty good as well.

I can't think of any other SF/fantasy author who is so wildly " up and down." But that's actually a commendable thing – Mercedes has the  courage to try new things, go outside her comfort zone and explore ideas that many writers may steer clear of. Does anyone else feel the same way about her work?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I can't think of any other SF/fantasy author who is so wildly " up and down." But that's actually a commendable thing – Mercedes has the  courage to try new things, go outside her comfort zone and explore ideas that many writers may steer clear of. Does anyone else feel the same way about her work?

Paul

Yep, I tend to avoid her for that reason. It not like you can even tell in advance either. Kinda makes you wonder if sometimes it not her at all.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Paul

Yep, I tend to avoid her for that reason. It not like you can even tell in advance either. Kinda makes you wonder if sometimes it not her at all.

Tig:

GREAT TOPIC! Ghost writers! I don't know about Lackey but I've often wondered about a few other writers... It just seems so.. dishonest. 

Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque

I agree there is stuff of Mercedes Lackey I  don't like and others stuff that is fantastic.  She writes so much collaboratively it is not a surprise that varies greatly.  I read somewhere how she generally collaborates with others (her technique).  She said she outlines the stories and aspect of the story and then edits and an adds to her collaborators work.  Of course I read that years ago so don't quote me.  My memory may be distorting what she wrote. 

Interestingly everyone loves the Vladimir world but I actually don't.  I think maybe I read enough of it I just lost interest in the world.  The characters felt too cartoon sweet or evil or predictable to me.  I haven't read the joust series for fear of a similar texture, but maybe I'll give it a spin.  I find I really like her urban fantasy more then much of her pure fantasy although some of it is outstanding.  I get your point Tiggerbear about unpredictability.  It does bring the question how much she actually does write in her collaborations, but her name is on the book so she must answer for what's in it, at least to herself.   

None the less, for me, her urban fantasy really should be included in a "genre series primer".  She was the writer whose book built bridge for me to cross to urban fantasy.

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Paul

Tig:

GREAT TOPIC! Ghost writers! I don't know about Lackey but I've often wondered about a few other writers... It just seems so.. dishonest. 

Dude, Where's my book!