Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 


NEW Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

Stacia Kane - Downside Ghost

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

Karen Marie Moning - Fever series

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

Gail Carriger - Parasol Protectorate S1 (see side note below)

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

S1 I struggled a bit deciding where to classify this series. Partially causing the delay of it's addition. I finally went with deciding Alexia's powers to be magical in nature and as she's the protagonist.....

 

 


Here's the most recent list. Bump!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


dalnewt wrote:

OK, your Moning addition inspired me to buy the paperback version of the 4th 'Fever' installment 

 

Dreamfever (Fever Series #4). I already know that the book is tangential to the story arc, and I'm expecting that. (I hope it's not as offensive as that last church tower scene in the third book.) I wouldn't have bought the book in the more expensive hardback version, but the paperback price is an acceptable cost for finding out how the series spins out.

 

(P.S. I'll never know how you've stuck by the AB series. I absolutely loved some of the AB characters, but most changed for the worse in her last 4-5 novels.)   


 

Offensive hmmm, I didn't think so. Smoother than the end of 3, definitely.

 

(chuckle) Ah I'm stubborn. But yes the series is down hill after OB, though the last 2 have been a tas back towards the right way. I have hope. (laughs)

 

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎09-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Sarah3973 wrote:

 

Vermontcozy (and everyone else who has made suggestions),


Thanks!  You guys totally rock! :smileytongue:

 

I just downloaded the ebook of Tempest Rising and plan to get started on that this afternoon on my CrackBerry since I think I am the only remaining human who has not purchased a Nook or a Kindle...yet. 

 

I had a hard time choosing where to start since several of y'alls suggestions sounded very good.  I have to admit that I chose this one because I like the cover art.  (I know, I'm a total dork).  

 

Anyway, I wanted to let you all know how nice everyone over here in Paranormal & Urban Fantasty is.  Thanks again for all of your suggestions.  I am excited to get down to the business of reading more of these books so I can contribute to the group!


Thanks again!


Thanks for the kind words, Sarah – and you're right about the wealth of suggestions, it's amazing. I read a lot but because of this group, I've discovered a ton of other great reads...
Paul

Thanks Sarah, Enjoy your new Genre.. pen21 was my influence in reading Nicole Peelers"Tempest Series"..Then I was brought into "The Fold" by TBear and dainewt,and others.,once they knew I was Ok.. :  )  .PGA has been so supportive of all of us..Welcome..and come back and post anytime..We are around somewhere..I have a BellaBlkberry  Thats her name..Still on The Fence about a "Nook"..Susan...


 

So I finally got to read the first Jane True book and loved it!  Life has consisted of work and sleep for the past month, but I finally took a much needed weekend off.  Started Tempest Rising Friday evening and finished it a couple of hours ago.  Just downloaded book # 2 and plan on starting it in a few minutes.  

 

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions!  

 

 

Sarah

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
Posts: 883
Registered: ‎08-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

Tempest's Legacy#3  "TBReleased  Jan 1st ,2011" Hi Sarah,So glad you are liking Nicoles Peelers "Tempest Series",we are lucky ,soon in a few month's #3 will be released,  "More Jane True," and her "Friends",She has us hooked for sure..Thats where I started my UF/Paranormal journey..and then I "Graduated" to "Karen Moning" Fever Series,starting with "Darkfever",,the protagonist Mac.she.is a great character..I have now read Bloodfever,and Faefever,,waiting for Dreamfever that is #4  to be released Oct28th in PP... Then "Shadowfever in 2011....Thank you for trusting us and continuing your journey,,Welcome again..Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,075
Registered: ‎03-18-2008

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

Yep, definitely looking forward to Tempest's Legacy!  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone


SciFiCanuck wrote:

Yep, definitely looking forward to Tempest's Legacy!  :-)


:smileyvery-happy:I was surprised its available for pre-order ..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎09-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

well, here it goes....

for now I would add..

 

Vampires:

 

The Morganville Vampire Series  by Rachel Caine( its for YA or teens , but I find it to be a good read)

 will have more but I have to get them off my shelf :smileywink:  have TBR's that I have to get to.

Christina
Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎09-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

I just copied the updated version of the primer. Oh boy, guess I'll be busy updating the TBR file again LOL Thanks everyone for the suggestions , this is great! :smileyhappy:

Christina
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

And *bump* again!

 

 


dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 


NEW Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

Stacia Kane - Downside Ghost

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

Karen Marie Moning - Fever series

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

Gail Carriger - Parasol Protectorate S1 (see side note below)

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

S1 I struggled a bit deciding where to classify this series. Partially causing the delay of it's addition. I finally went with deciding Alexia's powers to be magical in nature and as she's the protagonist.....

 

 


Here's the most recent list. Bump!

 


 

Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎09-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

*bump*

Christina
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

No need to bump this thread, guys, I floated it to the top...

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


paulgoatallen wrote:

No need to bump this thread, guys, I floated it to the top...

 

Paul


 

YES and a hearty thanks Paul for that.:smileyvery-happy:

 

It gets bumped mostly cause there are a few still haveing trouble locating it if it's not highlighted. I don't know why this is, but it is. (shrug)

 

Kind of the experiance in comunity room, where some Nook newbies still can't manage to understand when we tell them to scroll down to the Nook section lower on the page. The expect a link direct or they can't find it.

 

Makes me feel very old school cause way back when I joined. I read every single solitary prior post in a board before I'd post there. Wanted to get a feel of the conversations in each before I spoke up. And yes in a few boards it took days to read them all. (shrug) I wanted to look at everything first.

 

But don't mind me I read instruction manuals too.:smileyhappy:

 

 

Reader
angel-lover
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Happy Halloween everyone!!! 

question..i am looking for books more

in the psychic realm....

also books that have a mixture of short stories

in them with various natures ie, vamps, shifters, witches.

and one last question..i read the 3 books in the series

called "Odd Thomas" which i loved.

any idea if there are any more out there?

Suggestions please please please.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

[ Edited ]

 


angel-lover wrote:

Happy Halloween everyone!!! 

question..i am looking for books more

in the psychic realm....

also books that have a mixture of short stories

in them with various natures ie, vamps, shifters, witches.

and one last question..i read the 3 books in the series

called "Odd Thomas" which i loved.

any idea if there are any more out there?

Suggestions please please please.


 

 


Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer

Tamara Siler Jones

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

as to the short stories hmm Harris, Butcher, Harrison, and Frost all have short stories from their series.  But this thread is set up for series, not short story anthologies.

 

Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎09-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

[ Edited ]

sorry, I noticed that there was a previous bump  and was just trying to be helpful to others. Didnt mean to  affend anyone by placing my bump. thanks and have a great day.

Christina
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


rosilynn_grey wrote:

sorry, I noticed that there was a previous bump  and was just trying to be helpful to others. Didnt mean to  affend anyone by placing my bump. thanks and have a great day.


(shrug) It's cool. Paul just wanted to know why there were over 4 *bumps* resently. No one's affended. Happy reading!

 

Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎09-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Oh, that would explain the concern then LOL.  I'm not upset or anything , was just concerned.   I dont know why , but now I can get to the primer with no issues yaaa y :smileyhappy:LOL glad to see its working on my end since my pc was having problems too.

 

 

 

Christina
Frequent Contributor
Tm-Moore
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎09-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

May I add to this discussion? I just published 6 of my SF/vampire fusion ebooks to BN, so I thought I would list them here along with a paranormal detective novel.

 

The Children of The Dragon series of SF/vampire books is the epic chronicle of the Xosan, living vampires from the planet Antellus who were once human but were transformed by a dragon's blood. They are stories of science fiction, fact and fantasy, myth and history, romance, tragedy and triumph; linked together by the theme of the vampire as hero. Check the list by doing a search under my author name:

Destiny's Forge

To Taste The Dragon's Blood

Red Dragon

The Queen's Marksman

The Black Witch

VIRUS

The 3rd book, NAGRASANTI, is too big to include as a Nook book, so I had to leave it off.

 

The mystery/paranormal detective novel is titled, The Mystery of Cranewood Manor.

 

I hope you will take a look and buy the Nook book or visit my site to see the printed books for sale. Thanks.

 

Theresa M. Moore
Author of the Children of The Dragon vampire series and other fiction/nonfiction books http://www.antellus.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone


Tm-Moore wrote:

May I add to this discussion? I just published 6 of my SF/vampire fusion ebooks to BN, so I thought I would list them here along with a paranormal detective novel.

 

The Children of The Dragon series of SF/vampire books is the epic chronicle of the Xosan, living vampires from the planet Antellus who were once human but were transformed by a dragon's blood. They are stories of science fiction, fact and fantasy, myth and history, romance, tragedy and triumph; linked together by the theme of the vampire as hero. Check the list by doing a search under my author name:

Destiny's Forge

To Taste The Dragon's Blood

Red Dragon

The Queen's Marksman

The Black Witch

VIRUS

The 3rd book, NAGRASANTI, is too big to include as a Nook book, so I had to leave it off.

 

The mystery/paranormal detective novel is titled, The Mystery of Cranewood Manor.

 

I hope you will take a look and buy the Nook book or visit my site to see the printed books for sale. Thanks.

 


Congratulations and Much Success  Perfect place to post your Books.Definitely will have a look  and I'm sure I am one of many here..Susan..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer