Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Rowena,

I think it should be okay because we do read some of those books.  I have Forced Mate but can't seem to find Insufficent Mating Material in any of our used bookstores but will keep looking.

Congratulations on your award.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824

So many of my favorites on here already. Great lists. I did have a couple to add I didn't notice. Recently discovered by me.

:robothappy:Lois McMaster Bujold- I have read the first 2 of her Sharing Knife Series and loved them. Also her Curse of Chalion trilogy. These are fantasy/sci-fi romance. She is more famous I think for her "space opera" Miles V series.

:womantongue:Nilini Singh's Psy series. I just started the first one after having them highly recommended and buying the first 3, and I am totally hooked alread.

Wordsmith
Chomp

Bonnie824 wrote:

So many of my favorites on here already. Great lists. I did have a couple to add I didn't notice. Recently discovered by me.

:robothappy:Lois McMaster Bujold- I have read the first 2 of her Sharing Knife Series and loved them. Also her Curse of Chalion trilogy. These are fantasy/sci-fi romance. She is more famous I think for her "space opera" Miles V series.

:womantongue:Nilini Singh's Psy series. I just started the first one after having them highly recommended and buying the first 3, and I am totally hooked alread.

Bonnie,

I read the first book in Singh's series and really liked it. Very interesting premise. Her new series (March) sounds amazing.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Inspired Contributor
osha341
0 Kudos

Bring this thread to the top, yeah !!!!
Lindy...
Powerful Women's Motto: Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says... "Oh sh_t...she's awake!!'
Frequent Contributor
rowenacherry

Don't forget Linnea Sinclair, and Susan Grant. I've said that, I'm sure.

Rowena Cherry
Heroines get more (hero) than they bargain for...
http://www.rowenacherry.com

"entertaining, elegantly written" ~ Robin Wayne Bailey
Frequent Contributor
foureyed

William Mark simmons is a good start, as well.
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
Inspired Contributor
DarkHeart

For "Vampire Romance Seires you have to read!" you have to have J.R. Ward.  The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is fantastic and ranks at the top of my list!  Christine Feehan's Carpathian series is another great one.
~ Nicole
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

[ Edited ]

I'm refreshing this for all the newcomers that are now joining us.  I would like to add Adrian Phoenix's The Maker's Song series.  Jessica Anderson's The Final Prophecy series Nightkeepers and Dawnkeepers are out and Skykeepers is scheduled to come out later this year.

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 01-14-2009 05:37 PM
Toni L. Chapman
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX

Hey, is this for me? :smileyvery-happy:  AWESOME! I can just click print, throw it in my bag, and have it around for when I'm browsing. I never have to try to remember what I was looking for. You are all amazing. I hope the favor returns to you a hundredfold.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ

Another book that I enjoyed is Wages of Sin by Jenna Maclaine and a sequel is coming out Feb 3, title is Grave Sin.  Another series I just read and very much enjoyed (much to my surprise) was the Darkwing Chronicles by Savannah Russe starting with Beyond the Pale, book two is Past Redemption, book three, Beneath The Skin, book four, In The Blood, book five, Under Darkness.  A new book in the series will be out this year in May I think.
Phyllis
Frequent Contributor
BendTheDark

I am going to be severely bankrupt when I am done buying all these new books. They all look epic!
-Lilith Grimm

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
"Space tells matter how to move, matter tells space how to curve."
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

TiggerBear wrote:
Having noticed a lot of new explorers in the genre, and getting a gentle suggestion. I thought it might be nice to establish a beginners primer, a "HEY you REALLY need to read these!" list of suggestions. We all have our favorite series, but those are often the junk food. Every newbie needs a good solid meal. So join in guys, let's provide some meat and potatoes.

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore
JF Lewis

Mario Acevedo

Ghost Series you have to read

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Cherie Priest

Kat Richardson

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent

Eileen Wilks- Lupi series

Fae Series you have to read

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Karen Marie Morning- Fever series

I know I've probably left a few out, -and that are some even this old school fang bait has yet to discover. So all the rest of you long time readers to the genre, chime in they are counting on us.

I added a couple of authors to TiggerBear's list and thought that I would add a couple of more categories

Zombies

Mark Henry

Demons

Stacia Kane

Lilith Saintcrow

Jenna Black

And I' sure that there are many more.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

*bump*

for the newbies

Contributor
soulpromise

I would add:

Charlaine Harris' Harper Connoly series: (for some reason book stores always like to put these in the "mystery" section)  This would probably go under Ghost category, but could also be considered witchy.

Justina Robson's Quantum Gravity series: this is a mix of many types of paranormal beings along with a futuristic sci-fi storyline.  She mixes them beautifully!

New User
drummell
0 Kudos

I'm new here, and will be going back through messages to get more book ideas, but I had to throw my favorite series out there.

The Blackdagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward. Waiting and waiting for 04/28/09 for the next book. Love this series!

~Danica~
Reader 2
lucky412
0 Kudos

here's a good fae series:

Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning

New User
pkai2005
0 Kudos

a series i would like to add to this listing is Lara Adrian with her Midnight Breed series. It is excellent and just as good as Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. These are my two favorites series and I have just begun to delve into some of the other authors listed as well. But if you haven't i would really suggest checking out Lara Adrian.
Reader
angel-lover

I AM NEW TO THIS, NEVER DID A BOOK CLUB NOR ANY TYPE OF ONLINE CONTACT LIKE THIS. SO I AM A TRUE NEWBIE.  I READ THE "ODD THOMAS" SERIES AND FOUND THEM ENTERTAINING.  HAS ANYONE READ THEM AND IS THERE ANOTHER SIMILAR SERIES LIKE

THAT ONE?

New User
Dominola
0 Kudos

Yayyyyy and thank everyone for your contributions! I am a newbie who just found out there is all this book club fun ONLINE and I feel like a kid in the candy store.

Thank you again and see you all around in these discussions!

New User
demax200
0 Kudos

tossing my 2 cents in also,

keri arthur > riley jenson series (half vampire half werewolf undercover agent)

and  Karen Marie Moning with her fever series (fae and shape shifters)