Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,072
Registered: ‎03-18-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Paul is absolutely right!  Adrian's series is #1 on my list!  Her books have everything and you will not be able to put them down.  :-)  Her chracters and story line are fabulous!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Contributor
chriswiit
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎12-14-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Does anyone know if Nina Harper has a third book out for her Succubus Series? I read the first two and when I looked up the third book I found the title and it supposedly came out fall of 2009 but I can't seem to find the book. Please let me know if anyone knows.

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Vtcozy wrote:  Try allthingsurbanfantasy@gmail.com  Abigail knows everything,if not she will direct you..You can spend time on her blog..Its the best ..Susan
chriswiit wrote:

Does anyone know if Nina Harper has a third book out for her Succubus Series? I read the first two and when I looked up the third book I found the title and it supposedly came out fall of 2009 but I can't seem to find the book. Please let me know if anyone knows.

 


 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,326
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

[ Edited ]

 


chriswiit wrote:

Does anyone know if Nina Harper has a third book out for her Succubus Series? I read the first two and when I looked up the third book I found the title and it supposedly came out fall of 2009 but I can't seem to find the book. Please let me know if anyone knows.

 


 

 

Chris:

This from http://isbn.nu –  "Publication Cancelled."

 

I don't know why but it's strange since Del Rey already had a teaser, page count, release date, etc.

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
chriswiit
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎12-14-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Yes Paul it is strange. I guess we will see what happens eventually.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,072
Registered: ‎03-18-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Oh wow, that's interesting...does that mean her publisher dropped her?

 

I started reading the first one (Succubus in the City) and got about 1/4 in and gave up...this is the one and ONLY book I ever stopped reading because it was just not holding my interest.  <shrug>

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Contributor
ckirsten
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

FictFact.com has a "Most Popluar Book Series" List that has tons of great series on it. Right now, I am in love with the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (#6 on the list). It also lets you keep track of all the books you are reading in each series so you don't read them out of order or miss a book.

http://www.fictfact.com - Track your fiction book series
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 

ckirsten wrote:

FictFact.com has a "Most Popluar Book Series" List that has tons of great series on it. Right now, I am in love with the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (#6 on the list). It also lets you keep track of all the books you are reading in each series so you don't read them out of order or miss a book.

 

 

Well I wish popular also ment good. It doesn't always.

 

If I think it's great I put it here, ok doesn't make my list.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

If any one is wondering about this thread's title change. It's because I asked Paul to do it. I think when the merger comes it will avoid confusion.

 

Thanks Paul!:smileyhappy:

 

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,072
Registered: ‎03-18-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

TiggerBear wrote:

If any one is wondering about this thread's title change. It's because I asked Paul to do it. I think when the merger comes it will avoid confusion.

 

Thanks Paul!:smileyhappy:

 

Yep, I sure was, LOL!  Hopefully it doesn't confuse anyone.  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Just floating this thread for the most recent influx of people asking for book recommendations.   

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


dalnewt wrote:

Just floating this thread for the most recent influx of people asking for book recommendations.   


 

Well it is attached at the top for that very reason, but bold doesn't hurt.:smileyhappy:

 

 

Correspondent
southrnbella
Posts: 137
Registered: ‎06-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

i just wanted to say thanks for this thread its been great...i started the anita blake series because of it..i was looking at jennifer armintrout and saw that she had a fae series i was wondering if it was worth reading because i noticed that only her vampire series was mentioned..cant wait to read more my TBR list has shot through the roof... :smileyhappy:

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


southrnbella wrote:

i just wanted to say thanks for this thread its been great...i started the anita blake series because of it..i was looking at jennifer armintrout and saw that she had a fae series i was wondering if it was worth reading because i noticed that only her vampire series was mentioned..cant wait to read more my TBR list has shot through the roof... :smileyhappy:


 

Ha thanks for the nudge. I do really need to update my master list.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 

Once again It is well past time I updated this. I really need to do this more often. But I usually wait till I've read 2 or more in series. I personally give points for consistent quality within a series. After all some start off fantastic and quickly become that mylar balloon you bought 4 days ago. :smileywink: So after everyone's suggestions, new series, books I'd been meaning to read an finally did, and the like. Here's a newly updated list for your enjoyment.

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

 

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

 

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 

All of the above are categorized according to my first impression while reading the first book. We all are aware some of the best authors throw the paranormal sink at us in their creature use. So yes there will likely be the occasional Were tearing through a Vamp book. But if the protagonist started as/fighting such, that's how I place it.

 

Keep your suggestions coming, it's not just the newbies reading this. I know I benefit from them. Happy Reading!


 

 

Reader 2
Lusalma
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎05-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

I would highly recommend Ilona Andrews both her Kate Daniels books and the Edge novels.  They are firmly in the Urban Fantasy category rather than the Paranormal romance and for those who do not like a lot of sex, they are light on that department. 

 

They are magic heavy, and the Kate Daniels books have werewolves and vampires but the mythology of the books is different than many.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

Once again It is well past time I updated this. I really need to do this more often. But I usually wait till I've read 2 or more in series. I personally give points for consistent quality within a series. After all some start off fantastic and quickly become that mylar balloon you bought 4 days ago. :smileywink: So after everyone's suggestions, new series, books I'd been meaning to read an finally did, and the like. Here's a newly updated list for your enjoyment.

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

 

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

 

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 

All of the above are categorized according to my first impression while reading the first book. We all are aware some of the best authors throw the paranormal sink at us in their creature use. So yes there will likely be the occasional Were tearing through a Vamp book. But if the protagonist started as/fighting such, that's how I place it.

 

Keep your suggestions coming, it's not just the newbies reading this. I know I benefit from them. Happy Reading!


 

 


 

 

Great List!!

 

I was wondering if you thought of including an exorcist category, perhaps listing Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts series, (or maybe include that series under the ghosts or witch category). But, perhaps there's not enough books yet and/or a trilogy doesn't qualify as a series. (Also, in that exorcist category I really love Mike Carey's Felix Castor series that starts off pretty well with 'The Devil You Know,' and follows-up with really good supernatural mystery/action books entitled 'Vicious Circle' and 'Dead Man's Boots'. He's releasing a new book, 'Thicker than Water' in October.) Further, Richardson's Greywalker series could conceivably fit in the ghosts category because a greywalker is able to fade out to the realm of ghosts and other supernatural beings. Further, I really love the Maker's Song vamp series by Adrian Phoenix.

 

Also, there's some series which have recently started that I really liked. Probably they don't qualify because there's not enough books in the series yet. I really like Holzner's shifter/demon series 'Dead Town' which will be followed up in December by  'Hellforged'.  Also, under the fae category, I really love McGuire's relatively new October Daye series and Peeler's Jane True series. And, I love Melding's "Three Days to Dead" (that would arguably fit under the fae category or a new alternate reality category). There's also Day's The Better Part of Darkness', which really is an alternate reality book or a fae or demon book. That's all I can think of right now.      

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone


dalnewt wrote:

 

Great List!!

 

I was wondering if you thought of including an exorcist category, perhaps listing Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts series, (or maybe include that series under the ghosts or witch category). But, perhaps there's not enough books yet and/or a trilogy doesn't qualify as a series. (Also, in that exorcist category I really love Mike Carey's Felix Castor series that starts off pretty well with 'The Devil You Know,' and follows-up with really good supernatural mystery/action books entitled 'Vicious Circle' and 'Dead Man's Boots'. He's releasing a new book, 'Thicker than Water' in October.) Further, Richardson's Greywalker series could conceivably fit in the ghosts category because a greywalker is able to fade out to the realm of ghosts and other supernatural beings. Further, I really love the Maker's Song vamp series by Adrian Phoenix.

 

Also, there's some series which have recently started that I really liked. Probably they don't qualify because there's not enough books in the series yet. I really like Holzner's shifter/demon series 'Dead Town' which will be followed up in December by  'Hellforged'.  Also, under the fae category, I really love McGuire's relatively new October Daye series and Peeler's Jane True series. And, I love Melding's "Three Days to Dead" (that would arguably fit under the fae category or a new alternate reality category). There's also Day's The Better Part of Darkness', which really is an alternate reality book or a fae or demon book. That's all I can think of right now.      

 


Well unless book 1 really really wow's me. I do not add it to my list.  Most series don't hit my list until 3 books even.  Avedevo first series took 4 for me. That's when I get to book 3 or 4 not when I comes out. :smileywink: But if a series book 1 + 2  are all that's out and on my list they both hit the RRWOW button. :smileysurprised:You might notice that I moved Liu and Saintcrow as well. Sometimes I change my mind. On day I might even remove an author.
I'd how ever put a exorcist book into Ghosts. Just like I'd put a Vamp hunter into Vampires. (shrug)
How on earth did Richardson get cut? I anded pasted an old list and she was on there before, ahhh! Ok That has to be fixed pronto.
Ah Meding (three days to dead series) is in Zombies and Reanimated, Evy is in a animated body afterall.
And umm Holzner? Who? Tell.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 

An Update due to a typo (forgive me please!!! Kat Richardson)

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

 

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 

 

Keep your suggestions coming, it's not just the newbies reading this. I know I benefit from them. Happy Reading!


 

 


 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

[ Edited ]

 

 

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner came out last December featuring Victory Vaughn, a shapeshifting demon slayer, who lives with zombies, vamps and werewolves in a cordonned off area of Boston. It's really has a unique take on zombies and the particular properties of Victory's shapeshifting. Here's my reader review of the book:

 

This debut fantasy entertains with a combination of vivid characters, witty dialogue, amusing situations, a realistic paranormal world and lots of supernatural action. The narrative is told in the first-person perspective of a feisty, magic-wielding shapeshifter named Victory Vaughn. Vicky makes a living exterminating demons, (primarily with guns and sanctified blades), which range from pesky dream torturing 'drudes' to deadly 'hellions'. The supporting characters include a sorta-boyfriend werewolf attorney who's dedicated to securing full legal rights for all paranormals; a centuries-old vampiric roommate, (named Juliet), who loves to discuss the real story behind 'Romeo and Juliet' and lives to look good while securing nightly 'blood-bag' dates; a 'norm' police detective who loves to flirt; a surly, gangster-talking client who's constantly trying to fire Victory; a sister who wants to erase her shapeshifting heritage while embracing her stay-at-home motherhood; and, an amusing, tag-along teenage zombie who mucks-up just about everything she touches. Most of the action occurs in a present-day, alternative Boston which experienced a downtown plague resulting in thousands of zombified Bostonians, The zombies are both humanized and humorous as they try to lead ordinary lives despite board-like stiffness, superhuman strength, deteriorating flesh, red eyes, voracious appetites and occasional blood lust. The zombies, along with the other parnormals, (e.g., werewolves, vamps and Victory, as Boston's sole 'active' shapeshifter), are required to reside within that plague touched downtown area, which has been cordoned off and become known as "Deadtown." PAs must have a permit to leave Deadtown and some (especially the vamps) regularly visit the 'Combat Zone,' a sleazy, rundown border area where the 'norms' mingle with the monsters. The story-line involves Victory's efforts to confront and kill the 'hellion' demon (called the Destroyer) who murdered her father and threatens to destroy Boston. (The hellion appears to be have been conjured by a sorcerer who breached the witch charmed shield protecting the city.) The plot is fast-paced, twisting, and fun. The only conceivable flaws are the predictability of the sorcerer's identity and the lack of a 'shot-em-up' showdown between Victory and the Destroyer. Nonetheless, the climax is inventive, supernatural and surprising. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a humorous, fun-filled supernatural fantasy.

 

 

Hellforged, the second book in the series, will be released December 29.