Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


dalnewt wrote:

 

 

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner came out last December featuring Victory Vaughn, a shapeshifting demon slayer, who lives with zombies, vamps and werewolves in a cordonned off area of Boston. It's really has a unique take on zombies and the particular properties of Victory's shapeshifting. Here's my reader review of the book:

 

This debut fantasy entertains with a combination of vivid characters, witty dialogue, amusing situations, a realistic paranormal world and lots of supernatural action. The narrative is told in the first-person perspective of a feisty, magic-wielding shapeshifter named Victory Vaughn. Vicky makes a living exterminating demons, (primarily with guns and sanctified blades), which range from pesky dream torturing 'drudes' to deadly 'hellions'. The supporting characters include a sorta-boyfriend werewolf attorney who's dedicated to securing full legal rights for all paranormals; a centuries-old vampiric roommate, (named Juliet), who loves to discuss the real story behind 'Romeo and Juliet' and lives to look good while securing nightly 'blood-bag' dates; a 'norm' police detective who loves to flirt; a surly, gangster-talking client who's constantly trying to fire Victory; a sister who wants to erase her shapeshifting heritage while embracing her stay-at-home motherhood; and, an amusing, tag-along teenage zombie who mucks-up just about everything she touches. Most of the action occurs in a present-day, alternative Boston which experienced a downtown plague resulting in thousands of zombified Bostonians, The zombies are both humanized and humorous as they try to lead ordinary lives despite board-like stiffness, superhuman strength, deteriorating flesh, red eyes, voracious appetites and occasional blood lust. The zombies, along with the other parnormals, (e.g., werewolves, vamps and Victory, as Boston's sole 'active' shapeshifter), are required to reside within that plague touched downtown area, which has been cordoned off and become known as "Deadtown." PAs must have a permit to leave Deadtown and some (especially the vamps) regularly visit the 'Combat Zone,' a sleazy, rundown border area where the 'norms' mingle with the monsters. The story-line involves Victory's efforts to confront and kill the 'hellion' demon (called the Destroyer) who murdered her father and threatens to destroy Boston. (The hellion appears to be have been conjured by a sorcerer who breached the witch charmed shield protecting the city.) The plot is fast-paced, twisting, and fun. The only conceivable flaws are the predictability of the sorcerer's identity and the lack of a 'shot-em-up' showdown between Victory and the Destroyer. Nonetheless, the climax is inventive, supernatural and surprising. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a humorous, fun-filled supernatural fantasy.

 

 

Hellforged, the second book in the series, will be released December 29. 

 


 

Hmm I'll check that out, thanks.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

OMG, I forgot to mention Jaye Wells' Sabina Kane (vampire) series as follows: 

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane Series #2) 

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane Series #1). I love it. There's plenty of action, riveting plots which intertwine a tale personal growth with a story of filial/political conflict, a really dynamic (kick a$$) heroine, memorable supporting characters (particularly the demon), good world building and really unique mythology. 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 

Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 


 Keep it comming!:smileyvery-happy:

 


 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 


 Keep it comming!:smileyvery-happy:

 


 

 


 

You must have really liked the fae mystery Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.:smileywink: Have you read A Local Habitation yet?  I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the first book, but it was good. I'm really looking forward to the third book "An Artificial Light" which is supposedly scheduled for February 2011.  

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 


 Keep it comming!:smileyvery-happy:

 


 

 


 

You must have really liked the fae mystery Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.:smileywink: Have you read A Local Habitation yet?  I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the first book, but it was good. I'm really looking forward to the third book "An Artificial Light" which is supposedly scheduled for February 2011.  

 


 

Indeed both were good. Nice to see a great use Welsh celtic myths, done very well. I'm looking forward to 3 too.

 

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎02-18-2009

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone


dalnewt wrote:

OMG, I forgot to mention Jaye Wells' Sabina Kane (vampire) series as follows: 

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane Series #2) 

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane Series #1). I love it. There's plenty of action, riveting plots which intertwine a tale personal growth with a story of filial/political conflict, a really dynamic (kick a$$) heroine, memorable supporting characters (particularly the demon), good world building and really unique mythology. 

 


 

 

very, very, nice.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

[ Edited ]

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 


dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 


 Keep it comming!:smileyvery-happy:

 


 

 


 

You must have really liked the fae mystery Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.:smileywink: Have you read A Local Habitation yet?  I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the first book, but it was good. I'm really looking forward to the third book "An Artificial Light" which is supposedly scheduled for February 2011.  

 


 

Indeed both were good. Nice to see a great use Welsh celtic myths, done very well. I'm looking forward to 3 too.

 


 

 

Since you like her use of Celtic myth, you might also like her Newsflesh trilogy beginning with

Feed. Writing under the pseudonym Mira Grant, McGuire creates a completely plausible future world infected with a zombie virus and beset by spontaneous zombie outbreaks. I think you'd really enjoy the technical internet/computer elements of the blogging protagonists and appreciate the realistic epidemiological aspects, main characters and suspenseful 'conspiracy' narrative. 

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone


dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 


dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 


 Keep it comming!:smileyvery-happy:

 


 

 


 

You must have really liked the fae mystery Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.:smileywink: Have you read A Local Habitation yet?  I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the first book, but it was good. I'm really looking forward to the third book "An Artificial Light" which is supposedly scheduled for February 2011.  

 


 

Indeed both were good. Nice to see a great use Welsh celtic myths, done very well. I'm looking forward to 3 too.

 


 

 

Since you like her use of Celtic myth, you might also like her Newsflesh trilogy beginning with

Feed. Writing under the pseudonym Mira Grant, McGuire creates a completely plausible future world infected with a zombie virus and beset by spontaneous zombie outbreaks. I think you'd really enjoy the technical internet/computer elements of the blogging protagonists and appreciate the realistic epidemiological aspects, main characters and suspenseful 'conspiracy' narrative. 

 


 

I am spending way too much time here,but having a good time.Kind of narrowed it down for now..Susan:smileywink:

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 


dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 


 Keep it comming!:smileyvery-happy:

 


 

 


 

You must have really liked the fae mystery Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.:smileywink: Have you read A Local Habitation yet?  I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the first book, but it was good. I'm really looking forward to the third book "An Artificial Light" which is supposedly scheduled for February 2011.  

 


 

Indeed both were good. Nice to see a great use Welsh celtic myths, done very well. I'm looking forward to 3 too.

 


 

 

Since you like her use of Celtic myth, you might also like her Newsflesh trilogy beginning with

Feed. Writing under the pseudonym Mira Grant, McGuire creates a completely plausible future world infected with a zombie virus and beset by spontaneous zombie outbreaks. I think you'd really enjoy the technical internet/computer elements of the blogging protagonists and appreciate the realistic epidemiological aspects, main characters and suspenseful 'conspiracy' narrative. 

 


 

I am spending way too much time here,but having a good time.Kind of narrowed it down for now..Susan:smileywink:


 

I picked up a copy of Feed, it is in my pile. Not at the top, but will be reading it. Her other books looked very good, but haven't gotten to them yet.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

 


Vermontcozy wrote:
 

I am spending way too much time here,but having a good time.Kind of narrowed it down for now..Susan:smileywink:


 

Can I say I am not a bit sorry for leading you down this garden path. :smileywink:You're in good company.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

TiggerBear and Vermontcozy

 

I just wanted to clarify that McGuire's third October Daye novel is currently scheduled for release Sept. 7. I remember reading the sneak peak at the end of A Local Habitation and reading something about a release in 2011. My memory of the title was also flawed. Here's that third book:

 

An Artificial Night 

 

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone


TiggerBear wrote:

 


Vermontcozy wrote:
 

I am spending way too much time here,but having a good time.Kind of narrowed it down for now..Susan:smileywink:


 

Can I say I am not a bit sorry for leading you down this garden path. :smileywink:You're in good company.

 


 

:smileywink:Very Good Company in The Garden,the statues keep changing,it it me or does someone move them every few days .I have decided on "A Local Habitation."Seanan McGuire.I like the Welsh Celtic Myths,it should be a good fit.." Rosemary and Rue"allthinsurbanfantasy@gmail.com it was featured yesterday;;Artificial Light in Sept..That should keep me busy...and it all Started with The Tempest Series(,pen )and all your help TBear,dainewt...I just needed that nudge..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone


dalnewt wrote:

TiggerBear and Vermontcozy

 

I just wanted to clarify that McGuire's third October Daye novel is currently scheduled for release Sept. 7. I remember reading the sneak peak at the end of A Local Habitation and reading something about a release in 2011. My memory of the title was also flawed. Here's that third book:

 

An Artificial Night 

 

 


 

Thanks dainewt.I put the others in my cart....The Garden is Filling up Susan.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone


pen21 wrote:

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 


dalnewt wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

Update

 

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

                           Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 


Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

 

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

 

 

 


 Keep it comming!:smileyvery-happy:

 


 

 


 

You must have really liked the fae mystery Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.:smileywink: Have you read A Local Habitation yet?  I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the first book, but it was good. I'm really looking forward to the third book "An Artificial Light" which is supposedly scheduled for February 2011.  

 


 

Indeed both were good. Nice to see a great use Welsh celtic myths, done very well. I'm looking forward to 3 too.

 


 

 

Since you like her use of Celtic myth, you might also like her Newsflesh trilogy beginning with

Feed. Writing under the pseudonym Mira Grant, McGuire creates a completely plausible future world infected with a zombie virus and beset by spontaneous zombie outbreaks. I think you'd really enjoy the technical internet/computer elements of the blogging protagonists and appreciate the realistic epidemiological aspects, main characters and suspenseful 'conspiracy' narrative. 

 


 

I am spending way too much time here,but having a good time.Kind of narrowed it down for now..Susan:smileywink:


 

I picked up a copy of Feed, it is in my pile. Not at the top, but will be reading it. Her other books looked very good, but haven't gotten to them yet.

 


 

pen ,I put "Feed" on my TBR  By the time I finish The October Daye series" I should be ready 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
3monstersmom
Posts: 871
Registered: ‎03-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Under the Fae Series you should read, I would recommend Richelle Meads Dark Swan Series.  Great series and I believe book 3, Iron Crowned, is scheduled to come out some time in early 2011.

 

Storm Born (Dark Swan Series #1)  

Thorn Queen (Dark Swan Series #2)  

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎09-27-2008

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

This is such a great thread! :smileyvery-happy: The only problem is that now I am completely overwhelmed and want to go spend  thousands to buy all of these books!  I loved Anne Rice's Vampire books, especially The Vampire Lestat  and am a big fan of Sookie (my fave is Dead to the World).  The Twilight Series...ehh, I can take it or leave it.  I'd really like to find another fun, fast moving series but have no idea where to start!  I don't want Harlequin style soft core porn (i.e.. "her quivering breast heaved as he lowered himself to her, his manly staff erect with love for her" you know what I mean), but I'm not going to turn my nose up at some good old fashioned sex (obviously) and I don't like it when the authors take themselves too seriously..If that makes sense.   Can someone point me in the right direction.  I love this genre, but I like my paranormal fast moving and fun (Sookie) or lovely, well-written page-turners(Anne Rice).  


Thanks!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

 


Sarah3973 wrote:

This is such a great thread! :smileyvery-happy: The only problem is that now I am completely overwhelmed and want to go spend  thousands to buy all of these books!  I loved Anne Rice's Vampire books, especially The Vampire Lestat  and am a big fan of Sookie (my fave is Dead to the World).  The Twilight Series...ehh, I can take it or leave it.  I'd really like to find another fun, fast moving series but have no idea where to start!  I don't want Harlequin style soft core porn (i.e.. "her quivering breast heaved as he lowered himself to her, his manly staff erect with love for her" you know what I mean), but I'm not going to turn my nose up at some good old fashioned sex (obviously) and I don't like it when the authors take themselves too seriously..If that makes sense.   Can someone point me in the right direction.  I love this genre, but I like my paranormal fast moving and fun (Sookie) or lovely, well-written page-turners(Anne Rice).  


Thanks!


 

A few cherry picks then...

 


Vampire Series you have to read!

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

 


Vampire Romance series you have to read!

 

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

                           and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

 


Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

 

Fae Series you have to read!

Charles De Lint

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

 

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

 

 

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

                           Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches

Lilith Saintcrow -

                          Dante Valentine

                          Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

 

 

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

 

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

 

 Ok I know it seams like most of the list but they really do all fit your parameters.:smileyvery-happy:

 

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,075
Registered: ‎03-18-2008

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

[ Edited ]

Sarah3973 wrote:

This is such a great thread! :smileyvery-happy: The only problem is that now I am completely overwhelmed and want to go spend  thousands to buy all of these books!  I loved Anne Rice's Vampire books, especially The Vampire Lestat  and am a big fan of Sookie (my fave is Dead to the World).  The Twilight Series...ehh, I can take it or leave it.  I'd really like to find another fun, fast moving series but have no idea where to start!  I don't want Harlequin style soft core porn (i.e.. "her quivering breast heaved as he lowered himself to her, his manly staff erect with love for her" you know what I mean), but I'm not going to turn my nose up at some good old fashioned sex (obviously) and I don't like it when the authors take themselves too seriously..If that makes sense.   Can someone point me in the right direction.  I love this genre, but I like my paranormal fast moving and fun (Sookie) or lovely, well-written page-turners(Anne Rice).  


Thanks!


"her quivering breast heaved as he lowered himself to her, his manly staff erect with love for her"

 

LMAO!!  Aren't those Harlequin books ridiculous?  You read one, you read them all IMO.  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

 


Sarah3973 wrote:

I don't want Harlequin style soft core porn (i.e.. "her quivering breast heaved as he lowered himself to her, his manly staff erect with love for her" you know what I mean), but I'm not going to turn my nose up at some good old fashioned sex (obviously)...

 


 

In my opinion, soft core porn can be great if done right – the problem is that if the scene goes bad (too chessy or too graphic) the overall storyline is really flawed for me. There is nothing quite likereading a sex scene written really poorly...

 

If you want a laugh, check out the "Quivering Puppies: Cheesy Sex Scenes" thread! Hilarious!!!

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/Quivering-Puppies-Cheesy-Sex-Scenes-...

 

Paul

 

 

 

 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

[ Edited ]

 


Sarah3973 wrote:

This is such a great thread! :smileyvery-happy: The only problem is that now I am completely overwhelmed and want to go spend  thousands to buy all of these books!  I loved Anne Rice's Vampire books, especially The Vampire Lestat  and am a big fan of Sookie (my fave is Dead to the World).  The Twilight Series...ehh, I can take it or leave it.  I'd really like to find another fun, fast moving series but have no idea where to start!  I don't want Harlequin style soft core porn (i.e.. "her quivering breast heaved as he lowered himself to her, his manly staff erect with love for her" you know what I mean), but I'm not going to turn my nose up at some good old fashioned sex (obviously) and I don't like it when the authors take themselves too seriously..If that makes sense.   Can someone point me in the right direction.  I love this genre, but I like my paranormal fast moving and fun (Sookie) or lovely, well-written page-turners(Anne Rice).  


Thanks!


Under the fast moving and fun category, I suggest the irresistibly funny and relatively new Jane True series which starts with Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1).

 

Also, you can't beat the Rachel Morgan series. It does have intense moments, but its all leavened by really engaging, often humorous characters, action and non-stop plots. The first book in the series is Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan Series #1).

 

Also, the Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series is excellent in terms of humor, action and mystery. It features a coyote shifter protagonist, werwolves, fae creatures and errant ghosts. The first book is Moon Called (Mercy Thompson Series #1).

 

A fun book set in the roaring 20s that features a crusading young woman who wants to improve the plight of vampires but actually comes from a vampire hunter family starts with Moonshine. There's action, romance with an irresistible djinn and lots of laughs.

 

Another new urban fantasy book that provides laughs, engaging characters and a good action/mystery plot begins with Adrian Phoenix's Black Dust Mambo.

 

And, there's always the Cassandra Palmer series featuring a humorous, time-traveling sybil, magic, war mages and vampires. The series begins with Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer Series #1).

 

Then, there's the funny and furious demon hunting series which features a shape-shifting female protagonist who hunts demons for a living, a sometimes boyfriend werewolf lawyer, a flirtatious police detective, a teenage zombie sidekick who can't do anything right and other extremely humorous characters. The series is set in Boston and starts with Deadtown.

 

Another extremely funny and pulpy book with lots of action is

Sandman Slim. The humor is really witty, and the plot was non-stop. 

 

Further, there's

Master of None featuring a luckless but talented thief, his personal/very grumpy djinn, his x-girlfriend who wants to strangle him and a crime lord with unlimited magical and mundane resources who wants to torture then kill him. This book is good stuff. 

 

 

 

I'm sure there's other books which fit the 'funny and fast' category, but the above come to mind immediately.

 

 

As far the 'beautifully written' category goes, that's a harder nut to crack in the Urban Fantasy genre.

 

I really loved

 

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye Series #1). It has beautiful descriptions of magic and fae courts and creatures. Plus, it features a sympathetic half-fae protagonist and a really intriguing mystery plot.

 

I also love the 'Greywalker' mystery series written by Kat Richardson. It's more hard-core noir mystery, but the descriptions, writing and plots are excellent. The series starts with

Greywalker (Greywalker Series #1). Also, I love the writing in the demon hunter series by Marjorie M. Liu that starts with 

The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss Series #1). If you love screen-worthy dialogue, vivid descriptions, intriguing conflicts and masterful writing, then read this series. 

 

 

Although it's not an urban fantasy, if you love beautiful writing and magic then read

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1).               

 

I also really enjoyed the writing in

 

Angelology. Note, the book is divided into three distinct parts and concerns angel/human hybrids, a sheltered young woman who's become a nun and a generational mystery which traces back to pre-WWII Paris.

 

I also really enjoyed the writing in the first Urban Fantasy written entitled

 

War for the Oaks . It's a bit dated in terms of references, but really well written.

 

There's also the unique horror/fantasy writing displayed by John Meaney in 

Bone Song and

Black Blood. His description and world-building are simply unbelievable. Note, it is dark, but it's beautifully dark.   

 

 

Like I said this 'beautifully written' category, (with Anne Rice as an example), isn't exactly an easy slot to fill. I'll think on it awhile.

 

 

P.S. I just thought of the phenomenal book entitled 

The Passage. The writing and story is excellent. If you like 'vampire apocalypse' type fantasy and a wonderfully written story, then read this book.