Reader 4
HeatherM923

Re: Paranormal Fantasy Primer for Newbies and Everyone

This is such an awesome list.  I have added so many books to my nookbook wish list.

I have to add a series by Richelle Mead.  The Dark Swan Series.  There are currently 2 books out and the 3rd is to be released in March 2011.

Storm Born (Dark Swan Series #1) 

Thorn Queen (Dark Swan Series #2)  

Iron Crowned  

Does anyone out here lend their ebooks to other people, due to the expense of book.  Just curious.  Thanks.

Heather

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

HeatherM923 wrote:

This is such an awesome list.  I have added so many books to my nookbook wish list.

I have to add a series by Richelle Mead.  The Dark Swan Series.  There are currently 2 books out and the 3rd is to be released in March 2011.

Iron Crowned  

Does anyone out here lend their ebooks to other people, due to the expense of book.  Just curious.  Thanks.

Heather

I love her Dark Swan series.  :-)  Looking forward to Iron Crowned!!

I don't have any e-books, LOL!  I like having the paper copies in my hot little hands toooooo much!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

Alright guys I need some book suggestions for the hubby.  He has read the Dresden books, Simon Green, and loved Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim and Kill the Dead.  He's looking for a new series like these ones from a male POV (no exception on that rule no matter how good the book is).  Any ideas for him?

paulgoatallen

3monstersmom wrote:

Alright guys I need some book suggestions for the hubby.  He has read the Dresden books, Simon Green, and loved Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim and Kill the Dead.  He's looking for a new series like these ones from a male POV (no exception on that rule no matter how good the book is).  Any ideas for him?

Trust me on this, 3MM.... the Joe Pitt novels by Charlie Huston. :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

3monstersmom wrote:

He may like the bloody and extremely cool Skinners series. I think most guys would love the action, gore and male protagonist in that series. It starts with Blood Blade (Skinners Series #1)

P.S. The Joe Pitt series rocks! Some of the best action and dialogue I've ever had the pleasure to read. 

dalnewt

3monstersmom wrote:

3MM

I went through my library and questionable memory and came up with the following recommendations in addition Paul's recommended Joe Pitt series that begins with 

Already Dead (Joe Pitt Series #1)  and My Skinners recommendation that  begins with

Blood Blade (Skinners Series #1), as follows:

Since your husband likes Butcher and Green, he would probably enjoy the Felix Castor series about an exorcist in London. It's written by the creator of Hellraizer and is y a smart, savvy mystery series written with a delightful English touch. The first book is

The Devil You Know. (Sorry the Add product search wouldn't come up with the paperback version.) (Note, you can probably buy it used at a reduced price.) I personally love this series and really love the ne'er-do-well protagonist who likes alcohol too much and is truly witty. Note, the first book is the weakest in the series, IMO, but it's a good read nonetheless.

Master of None relates the story of a talented but unlucky thief who somehow inherits a genie. He and his angry x-girlfriend are pursued by a relentless crime boss who has unlimited mundane and supernatural resources. The protagonist's comments are really funny, and the action is very good.

The Vampire Files relates the story of a newspaperman turned vampire in Chicago roaring 20s. It really entertaining, and the male protagonist is very sympathetic and smart. (Note, the author is a woman, but don't tell your husband that.)

Blood Vice is basically a mafia tale with a vampire hit man protagonist who gets involved with a crime family. It's fast paced with lots of action and should appeal to most males

Staked is the beginning of a series featuring a virtually indestructible, quintessentially male vampire. If a guy doesn't like this series, I don't know what will! The vampire protagonist is basically a beast with no regrets. He's irresistible!

Nightlife is an Uf which features a snarky, sometimes hard to take, teenager and his 'super hero' of an older brother.

There's banshees and other imaginative monsters in the series and the relationship between the brothers is particularly good. Despite the main characters snarky/spoiled behavior, I really bonded with the brothers and grew to like the protagonist because he hates housework and loves junk food. (The author is also a woman, but your husband will never know.)

Also, if your husband like Green's Nightside series, he'll probably like a supernatural series featuring a witty guy by the name of Eddie Drood that begins with

The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret History Series #1). I read and like this series myself.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck! 

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

paulgoatallen wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

Trust me on this, 3MM.... the Joe Pitt novels by Charlie Huston. :smileyhappy:

Paul

Thanks Paul!  I went and picked up the first one from the library to see how he likes them. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

dalnewt wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

3MM

I went through my library and questionable memory and came up with the following recommendations in addition Paul's recommended Joe Pitt series that begins with 

Already Dead (Joe Pitt Series #1)  and My Skinners recommendation that  begins with

Blood Blade (Skinners Series #1), as follows:

Since your husband likes Butcher and Green, he would probably enjoy the Felix Castor series about an exorcist in London. It's written by the creator of Hellraizer and is y a smart, savvy mystery series written with a delightful English touch. The first book is

The Devil You Know. (Sorry the Add product search wouldn't come up with the paperback version.) (Note, you can probably buy it used at a reduced price.) I personally love this series and really love the ne'er-do-well protagonist who likes alcohol too much and is truly witty. Note, the first book is the weakest in the series, IMO, but it's a good read nonetheless.

Master of None relates the story of a talented but unlucky thief who somehow inherits a genie. He and his angry x-girlfriend are pursued by a relentless crime boss who has unlimited mundane and supernatural resources. The protagonist's comments are really funny, and the action is very good.

The Vampire Files relates the story of a newspaperman turned vampire in Chicago roaring 20s. It really entertaining, and the male protagonist is very sympathetic and smart. (Note, the author is a woman, but don't tell your husband that.)

Blood Vice is basically a mafia tale with a vampire hit man protagonist who gets involved with a crime family. It's fast paced with lots of action and should appeal to most males

Staked is the beginning of a series featuring a virtually indestructible, quintessentially male vampire. If a guy doesn't like this series, I don't know what will! The vampire protagonist is basically a beast with no regrets. He's irresistible!

Nightlife is an Uf which features a snarky, sometimes hard to take, teenager and his 'super hero' of an older brother.

There's banshees and other imaginative monsters in the series and the relationship between the brothers is particularly good. Despite the main characters snarky/spoiled behavior, I really bonded with the brothers and grew to like the protagonist because he hates housework and loves junk food. (The author is also a woman, but your husband will never know.)

Also, if your husband like Green's Nightside series, he'll probably like a supernatural series featuring a witty guy by the name of Eddie Drood that begins with

The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret History Series #1). I read and like this series myself.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck! 

Thanks Dalnewt for the suggestions!  I went to the library and picked up Already Dead to see if he likes the first one.  Already have the skinner series in the TBR pile.  They are on the my list to read this month actually.   Can not believe I forgot about JF Lewis - I love that series!

Contributor
TTUMommy

I haven't read the Dark Swan series but I just finished her Georgina Kincaid series. I read all of her books in a 36 hour sitting, they were that good! I'm kind of sad though that the next book won't be out until September of next year. Still I definitely think it'll be worth the wait! 

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid Series #1)  

Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid Series #2) 

Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid Series #3)  

Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid Series #4)  

Succubus Shadows (Georgina Kincaid Series #5)   

HeatherM923 wrote:

Iron Crowned  

Heather

Reader 4
HeatherM923

The Georgina Kincaid Series is on my TBR list.  I actually started reading Succubus Blues, but put it down because I wanted to reread something else.  But I will go back to it soon.

TTUMommy wrote:

I haven't read the Dark Swan series but I just finished her Georgina Kincaid series. I read all of her books in a 36 hour sitting, they were that good! I'm kind of sad though that the next book won't be out until September of next year. Still I definitely think it'll be worth the wait! 

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid Series #1)  

Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid Series #2) 

Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid Series #3)  

Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid Series #4)  

Succubus Shadows (Georgina Kincaid Series #5)   

HeatherM923 wrote:

Iron Crowned  

Heather

New User
rickertt

I would appreciate it if I could get some suggestions. I am relatively new to the genre. I've read the Dresden Files books and the Sookie books and some Anne Rice.

I want to explore this deeper. I am in my 50s and would like there to be adult themes in the books. If it does include some sexual situations I don't mind that, though it will never take the place of a well-told tale.

Any help would be appreciated.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Darkfever (Fever Series #1)  Welcome rickertt,,I was lost in What to read as well.Being a great group here of newbies and more seasoned readers,,I was fortunate to come across " Darkfever." Great Author,Karen Marie Moning..There are 4 books in the series.all are available."Shadowfever" #4, though,will be released in PB Jan 18th so I am waiting..Its a very addictive series,the storyline is very important to  me as well  Takes Place in Ireland.Have a look..The other series is "The Tempest Series "Nicole Peeler Author..Much love goes out to Nicole for writing this series,which takes place in Maine...There are 2 books at this moment..The one I posted and ""Tracking the Tempest".Book#2....We are So Happy because Book #3 Tempest Legacy".Will be released Jan 1st...Very excited.  Of course  Its addictive...I am in The Cliffhanger mode with both Books  :  )..Also an Anne Rice fan and a few Sookie..I have been so involved now in this genre.that I took a chance with "The October Daye"series Author Seanan McGuire..Darker and gritty.but excellent..Enjoy your Journey..And come back often..let us know what you are reading... Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

rickertt wrote:

I would appreciate it if I could get some suggestions. I am relatively new to the genre. I've read the Dresden Files books and the Sookie books and some Anne Rice.

I want to explore this deeper. I am in my 50s and would like there to be adult themes in the books. If it does include some sexual situations I don't mind that, though it will never take the place of a well-told tale.

If you like Anne Rice, I suggest you read

Twilight Forever Rising. If you like Sookie, I suggest you read Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series starting with

Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan Series #1), Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series starting with 

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson Series #1), and Peeler's Jane True series starting with Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1). You might also like Stormwalker and Firewalker, a relatively new adventure/mystery series that has a whimsical touch. Note, there are many more books that might appeal to you mentioned throughout this thread, so please look through it.

Note, if you're looking for literature written from the perspective of a guy, (like Butcher's work), then I suggest

Sandman Slim and Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey along with the list of 'guy' books I gave to 3MM in this thread above. Note, there's also Simon Green's Nightside series that starts with Something from the Nightside (Nightside Series #1).    

Also see below a copy of TiggerBear's most recent list of recommended books:

TiggerBear wrote:

NEW Update

Vampire Series you have to read!

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles
Laurel K. Hamilton - Anita Blake
P.N. Elrod - Vampire Files
Jennifer Arimintrout - Blood Ties
Tanya Huff - Blood books
Charlane Harris - Sookie Stackhouse
Elanie Bergstrom
Susan Sizemore - Laws of the Blood

Chelea Quinn Yarbo - St. Germain

Mario Acevedo - Felix Gomez

Karen Chance - Midnight's Daughter

Barb & J. C. Hendee - Noble Dead

Vampire Romance series you have to read!

Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress

and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood

Marta Acosta - Casa Dracula

Ghost Series you have to read!

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer
Laura Anne Gilman - Retrievers

Tamara Siler Jones

Carole Nelson Douglas - Delilah Street

Kat Richardson - Grey Walker

Stacia Kane - Downside Ghost

Fae Series you have to read!

Laurel K Hamilton - Merry Gentry
Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Jennifer Arimintrout - Lightworld/Darkworld

Seanan McGuire - October Daye

Karen Marie Moning - Fever series

Weres and Shifter Series you have to read!

Patrica Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Caitlin Kittredge - Nocturne City

Something Witchy this way this way comes Series you have to read!

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Simon R Green - Nightside

Drood Family
Anne Rice - Mafair Witches
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden

Lilith Saintcrow - Watchers

Dante Valentine

Jill Kismet

Caitlin Kittredge - Black London

Gail Carriger - Parasol Protectorate S1 (see side note below)

A bit of Brimstone series you have to read!

Majorie M. Liu - Maxine Kiss

Zombies and the reanimated Dead series you have to read!

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

S1 I struggled a bit deciding where to classify this series. Partially causing the delay of it's addition. I finally went with deciding Alexia's powers to be magical in nature and as she's the protagonist.....

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

rickertt wrote:

If you like Anne Rice, I suggest you read

Twilight Forever Rising. If you like Sookie, I suggest you read Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series starting with

Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan Series #1), Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series starting with 

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson Series #1), and Peeler's Jane True series starting with Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1). You might also like Stormwalker and Firewalker, a relatively new adventure/mystery series that has a whimsical touch. Note, there are many more books that might appeal to you mentioned throughout this thread, so please look through it.

Note, if you're looking for literature written from the perspective of a guy, (like Butcher's work), then I suggest

Sandman Slim and Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey along with the list of 'guy' books I gave to 3MM in this thread above. Note, there's also Simon Green's Nightside series that starts with Something from the Nightside (Nightside Series #1).    

Also see below a copy of TiggerBear's most recent list of recommended books:

TiggerBear wrote:

NEW Update

Tanya Huff - Blood books
Elanie Bergstrom

and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

Tamara Siler Jones

Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Drood Family
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Dante Valentine

Jill Kismet

Gail Carriger - Parasol Protectorate S1 (see side note below)

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

S1 I struggled a bit deciding where to classify this series. Partially causing the delay of it's addition. I finally went with deciding Alexia's powers to be magical in nature and as she's the protagonist.....

I love when everyone comes out with so many suggestions..It really brings the Board to Life..And helps so much in choosing a Series or a stand alone,mostly series which fits so well here..          rickertt,You now have so many great choices and descriptions..Hope to see you around often..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
TiggerBear

Re: Genre Series Primer for Newbies and everyone

Ok I have been disgustingly busy these past few weeks and so, far too little time to read. But I came down with a super cruddy cold last week and had a little opertunity to catch up. So some new additions.
  Update (cue cutesy drum roll)

Tanya Huff - Blood books
Elanie Bergstrom

Clay Griffith - Vampire Empire

and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

Tamara Siler Jones

Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Faith Hunter - Jane Yellowrock

Drood Family
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Dante Valentine

Jill Kismet

Gail Carriger - Parasol Protectorate

Devon Monk - Allie Beckstrom

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok I have been disgustingly busy these past few weeks and so, far too little time to read. But I came down with a super cruddy cold last week and had a little opertunity to catch up. So some new additions.

Tanya Huff - Blood books
Elanie Bergstrom

and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

Tamara Siler Jones

Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Drood Family
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Dante Valentine

Jill Kismet

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

Glad to see you've added the Vampire Empire series by Clay and Susan Griffith to your list.

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1) is an exhilarating read.

P.S. I'm also happy that you're feeling better. Your presence has been missed.

P.P.S. I also notice you also added Jane Yellowrock. I liked the first book well enough, but was frustrated by the second with the whole missing kid scenario. It was fast-paced and urgent enough, but there wasn't enough shapeshifting or common sense on the part of the protagonist, IMO. I did love the vampires and vampiric world building in that series though. Have you read the third book? Was it any good? 

TiggerBear

[ Edited ]

dalnewt wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tanya Huff - Blood books
Elanie Bergstrom

and the spin off series

Lynsay Sands - Argeneau

Tamara Siler Jones

Charles De Lint
Melissa Marr

Rachel Vincent
Carrie Vaughn

Drood Family
Kim Harrison - Hollows
Yasmine Galenorn

Dante Valentine

Jill Kismet

Kelly Meding - Evy Stone

Glad to see you've added the Vampire Empire series by Clay and Susan Griffith to your list.

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1) is an exhilarating read.

P.S. I'm also happy that you're feeling better. Your presence has been missed.

P.P.S. I also notice you also added Jane Yellowrock. I liked the first book well enough, but was frustrated by the second with the whole missing kid scenario. It was fast-paced and urgent enough, but there wasn't enough shapeshifting or common sense on the part of the protagonist, IMO. I did love the vampires and vampiric world building in that series though. Have you read the third book? Was it any good? 

PS: Thanks, missed you guys too.

PPS: Well the second book, less shifting more filling out of the protagonist. Less common sense but a hill pile of emotion, of which there was too little in the first place before. Yes I enjoyed the third too. Worth reading.

Contributor
Book_Zombie
0 Kudos

Someone may have already mentioned this, but A. Lee Martinez if great you have a funnybone.  I particularly liked the demonic duck, Newt in A Nameless Witch.  I personally think all ducks are demonic, perhaps only surpassed in evilness by the Canada goose.

Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

Book_Zombie wrote:

I personally think all ducks are demonic, perhaps only surpassed in evilness by the Canada goose.

Amen to that!  Canada Geese are EVIL!  Not uncommon to see tourist (and sometimes locals) running from a flock of them where I live. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

3monstersmom wrote:

Book_Zombie wrote:

I personally think all ducks are demonic, perhaps only surpassed in evilness by the Canada goose.

Amen to that!  Canada Geese are EVIL!  Not uncommon to see tourist (and sometimes locals) running from a flock of them where I live. 

(shaking head) You guys have never run into an Opossum at night. EVIL incarnate!