Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

Ransom Riggs Here TODAY!!!

[ Edited ]

"...a dark fantasy rooted in history that is palatable for young and old readers alike. It’s a boy’s coming-of-age tale. It’s a mythical adventure. It’s a murder mystery. The storyline utilizes elements of historical fiction, gothic horror and science fiction. Powered by 50 vintage photographs – which give the narrative an undeniably realistic tone – Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will surprise and enthrall anyone who reads it."

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

Re: Ransom Riggs (Author of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children) Will Be Here August 4 -5!!!

That's amazing! I just ordered and received the book last week, and it's sitting on my desk taunting me... I've flipped through it to glance at the pictures, and can't wait to read it as well! Now I have a good deadline to shoot for- thanks for setting this up, I'll be sure to check in on the 4th & 5th!

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Re: Ransom Riggs (Author of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children) Will Be Here August 4 -5!!!

This sounds like a book I would enjoy. I will put it on my list to read right after Ghost Stories.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

Guess I need to bump this one up on my TBR list.  Not that I'm complaining, it sounds like a really good read.  

(((SIGH))) So many books, so little time...............

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen
0 Kudos

I really, really, really want to read this one. 

~Suzi

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

I ordered Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children because of your blog about it Paul.:smileyhappy: (The combo of fantasy quest, historical novel and mystery blended with gothic horror/sci-fi elements was impossible to resist.)  Right now, the book's sitting in a stack of TBR hardbacks on a desk next to our main PC. I'm looking at its spine right now. (It is a beautiful little book--I cracked the cover when it was first delivered.) I always planned on reading it soon as a unique break from my usual reading fare. Now I'll start reading it right after I finish my current book--in about a day or so.:smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Re: Ransom Riggs (Author of Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children) Will Be Here August 4 -5!!!

Ok, I know I said I was going to read this one after Ghost Stories, but I took a peek at it at B&N tonight and couldn't put it down!! So now I will have to finish it by next Tuesday. (Which with the way I read will be no problem)

And, I was surprised that its a YA book. Other than the Harry Potter books that me and my son read together, I don't even look at the YA books. There is just so much out there that I didn't want to add YA into the mix as well, looks like this book might change that. Which also means my TBR pile is about to explode!!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Ransom Riggs (Author of Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children) Will Be Here August 4 -5!!!

jgmme wrote:

Ok, I know I said I was going to read this one after Ghost Stories, but I took a peek at it at B&N tonight and couldn't put it down!!

Isn't it great? The pictures really put it over the top for me!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
3monstersmom

I'm just starting this one tonight.  The hubby all ready devoured it and had only high praise when he finished.  I guess the pictures put it over the top.  I'm eager to start after all the excited reviews.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

3monstersmom wrote:

I'm just starting this one tonight.  The hubby all ready devoured it and had only high praise when he finished.  I guess the pictures put it over the top.  I'm eager to start after all the excited reviews.

Knowing you like I think I know you, you should LOVE this one. Very unusual....

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

paulgoatallen wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

Knowing you like I think I know you, you should LOVE this one. Very unusual....

Well now I am even more excited.  Time to get off of here and go start reading.

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

paulgoatallen wrote:

jgmme wrote:

Ok, I know I said I was going to read this one after Ghost Stories, but I took a peek at it at B&N tonight and couldn't put it down!!

Isn't it great? The pictures really put it over the top for me!

I'll tell you, It was the 1st paragraph that hooked me.

"I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen. The first of these came as a terrible shock and, like anything that changes you forever, split my life into halves: Before and After."

Gee, after reading that how can you put it down!! This is one of the best opening paragraphs that I have read.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

I just ordered it!!!!

It's definitely an "extraordinary and terrible" read, kimba, please tell me what you think!

Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Extraordinary-and-Terrible-Riggs-P...

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

I just ordered it!!!!

It's definitely an "extraordinary and terrible" read, kimba, please tell me what you think!

Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Extraordinary-and-Terrible-Riggs-P...

Paul, i've read the first 40 pages on my nook..I wanted to keep reading but Underground kept calling me back. As soon as I am done I will read this, since i like to read a book in-between series books. This book looks really cool.

B&N Bookseller
melissas

A couple of booksellers handed this one in to me as their July staff recommendation. Of course, with Paul also doing so, now I absolutely will have to read it. It sounds like it could rank up there with Brian Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret, or Graham Rawle's Woman's World, in terms of a unique approach to storytelling.

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

I just started this last night!! Woo hoo!!! It's really really good so far!

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
paulgoatallen

melissas wrote:

A couple of booksellers handed this one in to me as their July staff recommendation. Of course, with Paul also doing so, now I absolutely will have to read it. It sounds like it could rank up there with Brian Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret, or Graham Rawle's Woman's World, in terms of a unique approach to storytelling.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

My buddy Stephen is an editor at Quirk. Great, great guy. I'm glad that this book is another breakout hit for Quirk, it shows that they can score a direct hit outside of their "mashup" books.

Derek Tatum
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

[ Edited ]

Its not often that I open a book, read the 1st paragraph then say :Wow!" I said it before and I will say it again, this book has the best opening paragraphs that I have read in along time. It is a phenomenal read.

The flow of the writing is superb and smooth, kind of like a fine wine .The story line is imaginative and unique, and the photos just drew me in to the story.

This would be a great book for a high school reading list. In fact I gave to my 16 year old son to read and he is enjoying it as much as I did.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.