Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Ransom_Riggs

Re: Ransom Riggs Here TODAY!!!

Hi beachgirl,

I did a fairly massive amount of revision, inasmuch as I wrote a first draft of the book, decided it was crap, threw it away, and re-wrote it completely from page one.  There were some revisions done to that re-write, but they were comparatively minor.  Sometimes you need to write the bad version before you know what the good version is!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Reader 2
RaeOH
0 Kudos

I'm so happy to hear there will be a follow up book!  Thank you!   I also look forward to you book Taking Pictures. 

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

This book had me hooked from the first paragraph- brilliantly written! I'm a very visual person, and the photographs you used to illustrate the peculiar children enriched the fascinating story just that much more. And some of the photos you used were just vague enough to let my imagination fill in the details, which I thought was so fitting with the whole story.

I'm actually going to Scotland next week, but I don't think I'll make it over to that amazing island you and Paul mentioned earlier.... (although I may add it to a future trip, it looks amazing and mysterious!)

I really just want to thank you for working so hard on this book and sharing it with us! I can't wait for your future releases- you've created a fan for life in me.

-Stephanie

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Author
Ransom_Riggs

Before the book came out, I tried hard to temper my expectations so as to avoid disappointment. There are lots of great books that come and go more or less unnoticed -- or praised but not bought -- so while I *hoped* that people would respond to the material and tell their friends about it and reviewers would take to it and hollywood would want to make a movie of it, I expected none of it.  It's been a surprise, a thrill, and an honor.

I'm not certain why it seems to be resonating with people. I'm certainly glad that it is, but in a way, you write a book for yourself -- the author is his/her own audience -- so I suppose one way of thinking about it is that a fair number of people share my taste! 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I wondered what inspiration/source you used to create the characters, especially the protagonist Jacob? Jacob really resonated with me. I loved his paranoid imagination and jaded/cynical perceptions. I loved the way he tried to get fired from his summer job. He's a poor little rich boy. How did you ever come up with him?

Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75
0 Kudos

Thanks for answering my previous question. I keep telling my students their first draft isn't the same as their final draft (many think that if they type something, it's finished) . Is there a possibility of a movie deal?

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
Author
Ransom_Riggs

Bibliophile:

I was far from a spoiled rich kid / drug store chain heir, but I definitely grew up restless and dreaming of faraway lands of enchantment, and in Florida, to boot.  I think Jacob voice and his actions / reactions to things are about as close to mine as I could come.  I think you'll find there's nearly always something of the author in his/her protagonists -- often more than they'd like to admit!

Author
Ransom_Riggs

There is indeed a movie deal.  20th century fox is doing it!

Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75

How wonderful. Any idea who you would like to see cast? Do you get any say so as to casting and will you be the script writer?

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
paulgoatallen

Ransom_Riggs wrote:

There is indeed a movie deal.  20th century fox is doing it!

Wow. THAT could be fantastic. Fans of the Harry Potter movies would go nuts for Jacob – and his grandfather! Call me crazy but while reading this I kept on trying to compare it to The Princess Bride – I think it's because of the grandfather/grandson bond.

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Ransom_Riggs wrote:

Bibliophile:

I was far from a spoiled rich kid / drug store chain heir, but I definitely grew up restless and dreaming of faraway lands of enchantment, and in Florida, to boot.  I think Jacob voice and his actions / reactions to things are about as close to mine as I could come.  I think you'll find there's nearly always something of the author in his/her protagonists -- often more than they'd like to admit!

Thanks for answering. I sorta knew Jacob was a bit autobiographical. He's very funny and completely sympathetic. I guess that means that you're funny and sympathetic.

It's good to know that there's a film deal. This is one film I'll definitely see. Did you retain any control?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Noooo!!! I can't believe I missed this - I had the weeks mixed up. RATS!!!