Contributor
DebM

Recommendations, please. Loved Faefever series, what next?

I used to read a lot 10 yrs ago or so.  I love sci-fi/fantasy (more towards the fantasy side-Anne McCaffrey and Terry Brooks) and I like a little mindless romance.  Well, I bought my Nook in July and haven't been able to put it down.  I read Shadow Bound by Erin Kellison (one of the Friday Freebies) and was introduced to a new (for me) genre of Fantasy Romance (I call it " Fairy Smut").  I just finished the 4th Faefever book by Karen Marie Moning and loved it.  I had a little trouble with the first book, but couldn't stop reading after I got going . . .and now I have to wait until January for the next one to come out.  I've decided that next will be Karen's Highlander series, but then what?  Any recommendations for other stories along this line?  I'm not into vampires or werewolves, a little "smut" is good and I seem to lean toward celtic themed books (I liked the Outlander series).  Any suggestions are appreciated : )

Thanks!

Deb

Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen
0 Kudos

Re: Recommendations, please. Loved Faefever series, what next?

you might try the Merry Gentry books by LK Hamilton,,,

A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry Series #1)

~Suzi

Correspondent
lesnes
0 Kudos

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely Series #1)  Maybe you'll like these books:

A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry Series #1) 

Storm Born (Dark Swan Series #1) 

Mona Lisa Awakening (Monere Series #1) 

Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series is YA but I really like them. Hope this helped.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

This is usually TiggerBear's province, but she's offline right now. So, here's a link to her genre series primer thread http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/Paranormal-Fantasy-Primer-for-Newbie.... Go to page five of that thread for TiggerBear's most recently revised list. Note, the books she lists under fae category.

In addition to the series that appear in TiggerBear's list and in light of your request for paranormal 'romance' and 'mystery' books, I recommend: 

Adrian Phoenix's brand new supernatural series that starts with Black Dust Mambo

Stacia Kane's groundbreaking Downside Ghosts series, (Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts Series #2) Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts Series #1) and the third book released in July entitled City of Ghosts;

Nicole Peeler's enchanting UF series that starts with Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1)  and continues with Tracking the Tempest;  

Holzner's new UF series that starts with Deadtown to be followed up in December with Hellforged;

Johnson's exuberant supernatural series set in the roaring twenties that starts with Moonshine

Estep's intense Elemental Assassin's series that starts with Spider's Bite and continues with Venom;

and, Singh's romantic, adventure Guild Hunter series that begins with  Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter Series #1).

Note, there are many other more intense supernatural fantasies that I enjoy like Stacia Kane's vampire series that starts with Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane Series #1) as well as Phoenix's intense vampire/fallen angel 'Maker's Song' series that begins with A Rush of Wings. Also, there are many books is the romance category such as the Black Dagger Brotherhood series that appear on TiggerBear's list.    

Please look at TiggerBear's list (on page five of the link I gave you above). It contains really classic UFs.    

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

Please look at TiggerBear's list (on page five of the link I gave you above). It contains really classic UFs.    

Why thank you. Yes do take a look.

However the "Classic Monster Primer" thread has the classics on them. I use the premid 80tys as a cut off point. Calling something less than 30 years old a classic is just soo wrong to me.:smileywink:

Contributor
Brekka
0 Kudos

Daughter of The Blood (Black Jewels Series #1) 

Heir to the Shadows (Black Jewels Series #2)

Queen of the Darkness (Black Jewels Series #3) 

I only recently discovered the "Fever" series myself and despair that I have to wait till January for the next book. I did read all the "Highlander" books after "Fever" and enjoyed them plus the little bit of back story that you get from them about "Fever" is nice too. The "Black Jewels Trilogy" novels had me hooked from page one. If you like these they actually go beyond just the 3 books.

Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have,
and only you can determine how it will be spent,
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you- Carl Sandburg