Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Sivarias
0 Kudos

Recommendations?

Hello,

I am new to the world of urban fantasy, finding myself shifted there from high fantasy by the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. I have loved almost every single book but one. (White Witch Black Curse seemed slow to me, I was unable to get into the plot.) I'm loving the genre. I've been looking around but all I seem to be able to find are books with female main characters, or about men inexplicably drawn to one particular female and the whirlwind romance that follows. I like having romance in a book, I dislike when the romance is the focus of the book. SO... Does anyone have any recommendations for me? One with a male protagonist would be much appreciated. I find books more interesting when I share the same gender as the main character. Especially in books where sex pops up at all.

Sincerely,

Paul Marco

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Recommendations?

Paul,

You could try John Levitt's Dog Day series or Mark Del Franco series and then there is always Marc Pelgrims' Skinner series

Dog Days 

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The following UF books will appeal to you if you're looking for a male protagonist or a lead male and lead female protagonist. All are excellent adventures and/or mysteries I love

Sandman Slim and

Kill the Dead. Both follow the exploits of a male wizard returned from hell. Funny and full of action with simply excellent dialogue/comments, these books are keepers which I suggest you get in hardback form. (Note, both these books were named on this board as the Best Paranormal Fantasy in the years in which they were published.)

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1) is a rousing pulp adventure. It's simply an excellent book with both action, humor, romance and adventure.

Twilight Forever Rising is the best traditional vampire book I've read since reading the Vampire Chronicles of Anne Rice.

The Skinner series by Peligrimas is the best monster hunter series being written today. The series starts with 

Blood Blade (Skinners Series #1).

Jim Butcher's series that follows the exploits of Harry Dresden is excellent. It starts with  

Storm Front (Dresden Files Series #1).

I have also enjoyed two series written by Simon Green. One is about  P.I. who solves mysteries/problems in the Nightside, a hidden reality in London. It starts with

Something from the Nightside (Nightside Series #1). His other series that I like is a bit lighter but very good. It starts with 

The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret History Series #1)

Also I personally love the Felix Castor series about an exorcist in London. It's written by the creator of Hellraiser and is written in a noir mystery style with a delightful English touch. The first book is

The Devil You Know. I love the ne'er-do-well protagonist of this series who likes alcohol too much and is truly witty. Note, the first book is the weakest in the series, IMO, but it's a good read nonetheless.

Then there's alway the Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston. Great action, a 'tough guy' protagonist and 'spot-on' dialogue characterize this series. The first book is

Already Dead (Joe Pitt Series #1). Then there's

Master of None which relates the story of a talented but unlucky thief who somehow inherits a genie. He and his angry x-girlfriend are pursued by a relentless crime boss who has unlimited mundane and supernatural resources. The protagonist's comments are really funny, and the action is very good.

There's also the zombie detective of

Necropolis  and

Dead Streets. Also, there's PN Elrod's series about a newspaperman turned vampire in Chicago roaring 20s. It really entertaining that begins with

The Vampire Files , And, there's

Blood Vice, the first book in a series about a vampire hit man protagonist who gets involved with a crime family. It's fast paced with lots of action and should appeal to most males

And if you like over the top violence and sex with entertaining plot twist then try out 

Staked. Note there are currently three books in the series. I also like the Cal and Niko series by Thurman which starts with 

Nightlife (Cal and Niko Series #1). It features a snarky, sometimes hard to take, teenager and his 'super hero' of an older brother. There's banshees and other imaginative monsters in the series, and the relationship between the brothers is particularly good.

Note, here's a link to the first page of the Paranormal Fantasy Primer For Newbies and Everyone thread:

There are no new messages in this thread.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

I forgot about Adrian Phoenix Maker's Song series. I love it. It starts with

A Rush of Wings (Maker's Song Series #1) It's a paranormal thriller series featuring a goth rock vampire/fallen angel, named Dante, and his human love interest Heather, an FBI agent. It is written in the third person and has multiple plot lines that follow those who want to destroy and/or use Dante, his friends and allies and Heather and Dante.  

Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen
0 Kudos

Try this series.  It's a UF detective series with a male protag that always makes me laugh. 

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats (Felix Gomez Series #1) 

~Suzi

New User
Sivarias
0 Kudos

Thank you guys so much. I guess I was just looking in the wrong areas, Harry Dresden was one that I had spotted but I was afraid  that since I had seen more than a few episodes of the tv show when it was out I would be kind of bored because I knew the plot. I will get right on this list and I'm bookmarking this page when I get home :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Sivarias wrote:

Thank you guys so much. I guess I was just looking in the wrong areas, Harry Dresden was one that I had spotted but I was afraid  that since I had seen more than a few episodes of the tv show when it was out I would be kind of bored because I knew the plot. I will get right on this list and I'm bookmarking this page when I get home :smileyhappy:

Yeah the TV show really isn't plot wise much like the books. You're safe there.