Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
VampireRanger

Rob Thurman's Roadkill

I finished this book in 2 sittings(I had problems putting it down).

Roadkill 

I've been waiting almost a week now for someone to bring this topic up, so I could put in my two cents. So, instead of being lazy I decided to bring it up myself.

I loved this book! It has action. It has sarcasm. It has supernatural stuff(I'm too lazy to list all the "stuff"). Cal and the gang go on what may be a one way roadtrip trip save the world. I hate to give away too many details because I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't read it yet. Thurman gives this book a little twist from its predecessors. She eases up of the action a hair and adds some problems that require more than violence to solve. The characters evolve a little more in this novel. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Rob Thurman's Roadkill

Good call, vampireranger. This is one of those "under the radar" sagas..... Not a lot of hype but darn good reading. And Rob is one of the coolest writers I know – in my B&N review for Nightlife, I called her the "love child of Lenny Bruce and H. P. Lovecraft." I thought that was perfect!

Paul

The Barnes & Noble Review
With the dark humor and violent intensity of Anthony Burgess's 1962 dystopian masterwork, A Clockwork Orange, and the supernatural ambiance of Simon R. Green's masterfully macabre Nightside novels (Something from the Nightside, Agents of Light and Darkness, et al.), Rob Thurman's debut novel, Nightlife, could be the love child of Lenny Bruce and H. P. Lovecraft.

Caliban "Cal" Leandros has got serious issues. His mother is a down-and-out con artist whose fortune-telling scam has long ago lost its shine. Living in a run-down trailer, she cares more about where she's going to get her next bottle of rotgut and pack of smokes than she does about the well-being of her two sons. Cal's deadbeat dad is, well, a monster. With only his butt-kicking big brother, Niko -- a "blond Bruce Lee" -- to watch over him, Cal has been on the run from the nightmarish Grendels for four years. But what would bloodthirsty monstrosities -- whose primal passions are violence, destruction, and mayhem -- want with a half-breed human? When Cal eventually finds out the reason for the Grendels' interest in him, he is forced to make some very difficult decisions -- decisions that could forever alter humankind�

While some readers may find Cal's incessant outbursts of sullen, preadolescent behavior and bitingly sarcastic humor trying, dark fantasy fans who enjoy their novels with plenty of smart-ass attitude will find this chaotic and raging debut refreshingly unreserved and impenitent in its over-the-top narrative style. Paul Goat Allen

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky