Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

Seanan McGuire Starting a New Series!

Ghoulies. ghosties. long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night…The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. enter Verity Price. Despite
being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she’d rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? it would be, if it weren’t for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family’s old enemies, the Covenant of St. george. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone’s spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city…

Any thoughts on this new series?

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Seanan McGuire Starting a New Series!

Cover Image
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I have to get caught up on the October Daye series.

But if I don't I can always start this new series.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Hmmmmm, this one sounds kind of interesting.  :-)

I love her writing...I will probably check it out!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
dalnewt

paulgoatallen wrote:

Ghoulies. ghosties. long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night…The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. enter Verity Price. Despite
being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she’d rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? it would be, if it weren’t for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family’s old enemies, the Covenant of St. george. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone’s spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city…

Any thoughts on this new series?

I do trust McGuire's writing ability. So far I loved the first two books of her Newflesh trilogy as well as her October Daye books. But, the above description sound sort of meh with its host of supernatural creatures, a duty to protect humanity and apparently a Romeo and Juliet love story. I hope that an objective review of the first book comes out before its release.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Honestly, the cover art threw me off – that doesn't "look" like a Seanan McGuire novel. Regardless, I'm intrigued...

dalnewt
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Honestly, the cover art threw me off – that doesn't "look" like a Seanan McGuire novel. Regardless, I'm intrigued...

Now that you mention it the cover is corny/vapid, so unlike her stylize Newflesh covers and her understated October Daye covers. I didn't even notice the cover before because I was interested in the written description. Hmm, I am interested, but I still want an objective review.   

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

Re: Seaman McGuire Starting a New Series!

Oh please, you all know we are going to devour this book the minute it comes out. :smileytongue::smileywink:

Just in case though, I'm willing to take one for the team and read it first if anyone can send me an ARC.  LOL 

paulgoatallen

3monstersmom wrote:

Oh please, you all know we are going to devour this book the minute it comes out. :smileytongue::smileywink:

Just in case though, I'm willing to take one for the team and read it first if anyone can send me an ARC.  LOL 

If it's dropping in March, I should get an ARC soon...

dalnewt

paulgoatallen wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

So, do you plan to read it Paul? I'd trust your opinions on the book, and yours too 3mm.

Send me an ARC, and I'd take one for the team too.:smileyhappy:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:
So, do you plan to read it Paul? I'd trust your opinions on the book, and yours too 3mm.

I'll sample it – and if it seems good, I'll definitely read it. Like you said, it's Seanan McGuire so regardless of the cover art, I'd guess that the narrative will be good.

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

paulgoatallen wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

So Paul, have I ever told you how much I value our friendship?  

dalnewt

paulgoatallen wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

I'll sample it – and if it seems good, I'll definitely read it. Like you said, it's Seanan McGuire so regardless of the cover art, I'd guess that the narrative will be good.

More than any other professional book reviewer, I trust your opinions Paul! If you like it, I know that there a 99.9% chance that I will too. 

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

I am not impressed with the cover...put its McGuire and so I am going to have to read it! :smileyvery-happy:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:
More than any other professional book reviewer, I trust your opinions Paul!

That just made my day, dalnewt – thank you! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Sable677
0 Kudos

Sounds interesting.  Since its by Seanan McGuire, I will definitely want to read it. 

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

paulgoatallen wrote:

Honestly, the cover art threw me off

Seriously!  What is with all the pink?  I think my Barbie had a similar outfit when I was a kid.  I am trying not to let that cloud my perspective, but it is hard.

Contributor
Nookified
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Has anyone gotten a chance to read this yet? I see it's in stores at the moment but not released on Nook till March 6th. I'm spending my paycheck at B&N later this week and love Seanan's October series. Thanks!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nookified:

I have it – just haven't read it yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks...

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@Nookified:

Please wait until March 6 to buy this book!  There is a thread on the NOOK Book Discussion Board (and one on this board, too, I think) about the problems caused by Amazon and Barnes & Noble selling the DTB version prior to its March 6 release date.  You won't be able to get the NOOK version before the release date, but I read your post to indicate that you might be intending to buy the DTB version instead to get it earlier; if I misread your post, just ignore me :smileyhappy:.