Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
JackieKessler

Short story exclusive on B&N!

Hey, everyone:

BLACK AND WHITE is coming out in three weeks (EEK)...but if you'd like a sneak peek at the first three chapters...AND if you'd like to read an original, B&N exclusive, short-story prequel called "Black Meets White," please check out the FEATURES portion of the BLACK AND WHITE entry right here on B&N.com. 

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Black-and-White/Jackie-Kessler/e/9780553386318

The formatting for the short story is a little wonky -- sorry about that. But the formatting is perfect for the first three chapters of the book.

Enjoy!

--
Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge
Whose side are you on?
http://www.jetandiridium.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Short story exclusive on B&N!

Jackie,

Looking forward to reading the whole book next month but I have a question when is the next Hell On Earth book coming out?  I keep checking you website but don't see anything but your last two anthology as well as the three I have so when is number 4 coming out?

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jackie:

This book looks AWESOME! How excited are you about this release as opposed to all of your others?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
JackieKessler
0 Kudos

Thanks, Toni. I promise to share news about HELL TO PAY soon. Very soon. Like this summer soon. I'll definitely share it here. Promise. :smileywink:
--
Whose side are you on?
Author
JackieKessler

Paul, I'm insanely giddy about B&W. A little anxious (it's butterflies in the belly time), but mostly giddy. Tough to compare it to the other books -- nothing compares to when your first-ever book comes out; that's in a league of its own. I think for ROAD and HOT I had a lot of promotion angst wrapped up with the releases, which definitely took away from the "OMG, my new book is available!!!" feeling.

Ask me again the week of June 2. Heh. Actually, I'll be away for most of launch week -- the book was supposed to come out June 23, and I was going to do a lot of promotion/bookstore visits, etc. But then the release got moved up to June 2... and I had already booked an extended weekend retreat in the Catskills with four friends, so from Thursday through Sunday, I'll be on a forced vacation! Probably for the best. Hee.

I will be doing a reading/signing on June 2 at 7 pm. If anyone here is near the Albany NY area, I'd love to see you! My blog has details in the "Appearances" section.

--
Whose side are you on?
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Jackie, thanks and I will look for it.  Great Luck with your new series I hope that it does real good.  I'll try to do my part about Pimping the book in my local area.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Author
JackieKessler
0 Kudos

Thanks, Toni
--
Whose side are you on?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JackieKessler wrote:

Paul, I'm insanely giddy about B&W. A little anxious (it's butterflies in the belly time), but mostly giddy. Tough to compare it to the other books -- nothing compares to when your first-ever book comes out; that's in a league of its own. I think for ROAD and HOT I had a lot of promotion angst wrapped up with the releases, which definitely took away from the "OMG, my new book is available!!!" feeling.

Ask me again the week of June 2. Heh. Actually, I'll be away for most of launch week -- the book was supposed to come out June 23, and I was going to do a lot of promotion/bookstore visits, etc. But then the release got moved up to June 2... and I had already booked an extended weekend retreat in the Catskills with four friends, so from Thursday through Sunday, I'll be on a forced vacation! Probably for the best. Hee.

I will be doing a reading/signing on June 2 at 7 pm. If anyone here is near the Albany NY area, I'd love to see you! My blog has details in the "Appearances" section.

Jackie:

My wife's due date is a few days before your signing but you're  just a few hours down the thruway. I seriously will try to make it. A signed copy of Black and White – WHICH IS OUR #1 FEATURE FOR JULY, BY THE WAY! – would be one of my most cherished books...

Okay, I'm going to put you on the spot: Do you think that this your best and/or most ambitious work to date? 

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 05-12-2009 09:12 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
JackieKessler

paulgoatallen wrote:

Jackie:

My wife's due date is a few days before your signing but you're  just a few hours down the thruway. I seriously will try to make it. A signed copy of Black and White – WHICH IS OUR #1 FEATURE FOR JULY, BY THE WAY! – would be one of my most cherished books...

Okay, I'm going to put you on the spot: Do you think that this your best and/or most ambitious work to date? 

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 05-12-2009 09:12 PM

Paul -- dude, it would be my pleasure to snail mail you an author copy. No possibility of you being hours away from your wife when she might go into early labor that way! :smileyvery-happy: I'll PM you when I get my author copies.

JULY FEATURE??? ***Jackie does happy dance*** You folks rule. You know that, right?

Do I think this is my best/most ambitious book to date? You know what? This book was so much freaking fun to write, so it's hard for me to think of it as ambitious. Caitlin and I did it the way we thought worked. (Happily, Bantam thought it worked too!)

As for best...dude, ALL of our books are the best. :smileywink: 

--
Whose side are you on?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Dude.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Folks, I am reading Black and White right now, and it is great!

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Author
JackieKessler
0 Kudos

And as far as you know, I didn't even pay Carol to say that. :smileytongue:
--
Whose side are you on?
Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

All I can say is WOW!!  I am very excited for this book!  It is something very new and I like hero and villian storyline!  Can't wait for July!

Congratulations!

Jess

I was so excited about saying how excited I was, I forgot to ask the question I had.  How did you two come up with this idea?? Which is fantastic!  And did you each write for one of the characters or write everything together?

Message Edited by ReaderGal74 on 05-24-2009 09:53 AM
Books...Never leave home without them
Author
JackieKessler
0 Kudos

ReaderGal74 wrote:

I was so excited about saying how excited I was, I forgot to ask the question I had.  How did you two come up with this idea?? Which is fantastic!  And did you each write for one of the characters or write everything together?

Thanks so much for the question! I wrote a post at Deadline Dames called "The Art of Collaboration" that talks about how Caitlin and I came up with Black and White. So I'm linking to that post, which will answer your questions. :smileyhappy:

--
Whose side are you on?
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

I finished the book on Monday night, and it is awesome, and very cool.

Jackie didn't pay me to say that, either. :smileyhappy:

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Author
JackieKessler
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

I finished the book on Monday night, and it is awesome, and very cool.

Jackie didn't pay me to say that, either. :smileyhappy:

Carol

**happy dance**

Thanks, Carol!

(Er, you mean your copy didn't have a $20 in it? Oopsie...)

:smileywink:

--
Whose side are you on?