Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

That's what I am saying, get a new season to follow a new book. or combine two books into one season, so two story archs. you will still get all the books in, but then it doesn't feel like we are being gypped when it comes to episodes (or when those who do not have hbo buy the dvds for the same price as another show with over20 episodes.)

Correspondent
JoanieGranola

KBowdry wrote:

I started reading the books as I watched the show on DVD (season 1) and also during the time season 2 on HBO.  I got through the books wholeheartedly and was originally interested in completing each one.  However as each new book comes out, I enjoy them less and less.  The seasons of the show are getting better aside from season 3 being mediocre.  I am hoping for a much better Season 4 next week. Yay!:womanvery-happy:

Huh, that's just the opposite for me. I actually find the books much better than the show. Don't get me wrong - I love the show; there just isn't really a good connection between the show and the books. The show takes too creative a license on the storyline and I find that it's somewhat disjointed. I enjoy both separately, but I try to read the books when the show's not on so I don't compare the two.

I watched the first two seasons two or three times through. I barely remember season 3 (though I only watched it during its first run) and I'm not sure what to think of season 4.

Contributor
DianaTrees

I prefer non-sparkly vampires. For me, it starts with Nosferatu (Okay, maybe Lilith, but that's another story). Vampires are vicious and inhuman. Kind of like sharks, only they walk on land.

Diana Trees My Blog
Vampires don't sparkle. They eat people.
Divine Wine Vampire Erotica
Bloodfetish Erotic Stories and Poetry

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

DianaTrees wrote:

I prefer non-sparkly vampires. For me, it starts with Nosferatu (Okay, maybe Lilith, but that's another story). Vampires are vicious and inhuman. Kind of like sharks, only they walk on land.

Have you read The Strain (Strain Trilogy #1)  ?  It totally freaked me out.  It's so well written. The second book is out too, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
New User
heatherdoodle

I LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.  It's a little more "grown up" than Twilight, so I feel like I'm reading book in the proper age bracket for me (I just love those YA novels!).  I started reading the books before I EVER watched "True Blood", and I will admit that the first book was slow.  I had a hard time getting started, but one of my friends recommended it to me and encouraged me to keep reading because it got better.  Once I got into it, I couldn't stop!  I do not like the show at all....the books are way better in my opinion.  But that's just the kind of girl I am.  The book is always better! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

I have all of these books and just couldn't get into book one..maybe i should try again.

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

Kimba- book one is definitely not one of the best in the series.  If you can get through that one, Charlaine Harris will definitely reward you (book for is especially delicious if you're on Team Eric!)  Sure, there are a couple of others in the series that are not the author's best work, but the others totally make up for it.  THe short stories that are available are relevant to the series and do contain some pertinent details, but you can get by without them.  Some of them are fantastic though, so I recommend reading them too!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

I now have all 11 books in this series and I was wondering if there is a reading order for the short stories and what books they are in?

currently reading:
1) The red pyramid by rick riordan

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

tfadams wrote:

I now have all 11 books in this series and I was wondering if there is a reading order for the short stories and what books they are in?

The short stories are "extras" – not necessary in the overall arc. I don't know that reading order is important with these – but I could be wrong!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
bbestol
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

Deadlocked Book #12 is ready for preorder 05/01/12.

currently reading:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #12)  

May 1st isn't that far away!!!!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

willl this be the last one in the series?

currently reading:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

tfadams wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

willl this be the last one in the series?

Harris is under contract to write 13 novels so we're getting AT LEAST one more!

Contributor
Nookified
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Harris has posted chapter 2 from the upcoming Sookie book due out in May on her website. Not sure if it's been up for awhile or a recent addition but I enjoyed it :smileyhappy:

New User
Jennafer-M
0 Kudos

I watched the show on TV just for something to watch when I was bored and I got hooked on that but as soon as I started to read the books I was really hooked. I LOVE the books

New User
PNR_Addict

I too started the Sookie books after Twilight. I thought the first book very cheesy, but I pushed through and am now a die hard fan. Keep going with them, book 4 was my favorite!!

Contributor
Footballbutterfly
0 Kudos

I am utterly disappointed with the show this season.  I read all of the Sookie books (that were available at that time) before the show started and I still loved the first few seasons but this season has been a serious struggle to watch.  I won't drop any spoilers but I will say I loathe what they have done with some of the characters and some of my favorite parts of the Sookie books.  Sadly, I also must confess that I was very disappoined with Deadlocked :smileysad:  I read JR Wards' Black Dagger Brotherhood series but I gave up and that as well.  Maybe the authors are drawing the series out a bit too much because they seem watered down or repetitive or something.  *sigh* I need to find a new series and just wait for Boardwalk Empire and Sons of Anarchy to start up again. 

PS: I loathed Twilight.  I forced myself to read them for the reading groups I participated in but my friends really didn't like what I had to say each month. 

Author of YA Epic Fantasy Series ESTELAN and the adult Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance Emerald Seer Series (as Violet Patterson)
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

Footballbutterfly wrote:

I am utterly disappointed with the show this season.  I read all of the Sookie books (that were available at that time) before the show started and I still loved the first few seasons but this season has been a serious struggle to watch.  I won't drop any spoilers but I will say I loathe what they have done with some of the characters and some of my favorite parts of the Sookie books.  Sadly, I also must confess that I was very disappoined with Deadlocked :smileysad:  I read JR Wards' Black Dagger Brotherhood series but I gave up and that as well.  Maybe the authors are drawing the series out a bit too much because they seem watered down or repetitive or something.  *sigh* I need to find a new series and just wait for Boardwalk Empire and Sons of Anarchy to start up again. 

PS: I loathed Twilight.  I forced myself to read them for the reading groups I participated in but my friends really didn't like what I had to say each month. 

Have you read the Night Huntress books by Jeaniene Frost? The first is Halfway to the Grave. I love the Sookie Stackhouse series, but I think the Night Huntress series is better.
Contributor
Footballbutterfly
0 Kudos

No I haven't, but I will.  Thank you so much for the rec!!  :smileyhappy:

Author of YA Epic Fantasy Series ESTELAN and the adult Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance Emerald Seer Series (as Violet Patterson)