Contributor
Kalie
0 Kudos

Sookie Stackhouse

I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels and I am on the third one, Club Dead.  I wasn't that into it at first but it is growing on me.  I started it after the Twilight Saga which was amazing so it is hard to top, but I have accepted that the Sookie novels are not at all like Twilight.  So I think that the Sookie novels are good and I will continue reading them. What does everyone else think about Sookie and her vampire?
Contributor
Soccercoach
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Kalie, I just finished the 1st one. & it was Ok. I got hooked on the HBO series True Blood. So I was intrested in it. The series kept you involved & intrested in what is happening.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX

The books stand on their own for great fun with a twist (read: light, fun read). If a story can be impish and still have vampires...here it is. I am having a great time with them. If you are one who watched the HBO series' first season and really had a good time, the books are a good way to find something to do until the new season starts (and we all know how hard it can be to wait sometimes) BUT watch out -- the books and the series are NOT the same, althought they have the same elements. I am enjoying both, differently. There are some deeper examinations of the subjects and related conflicts in other works; it is nice to have a variety of choices to match your current interests.

You will find some excellent recommendations to suit you at any time by following the threads in this club. And Kalie, to answer a question directly, I think I love Sookie at a distance, but probably wouldn't ever want to be close enough to cross her. 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss

HI there!

A librarian suggested that I try Charlaine Harris's books, but I didn't until I watched the free HBO preview of True Blood. The show enhances the novels; I hope it stays as true to the characters as it has been. Once I started reading, I absolutely could not wait to read the next one! I was a waitress in Texas as a twentysomething. :smileyhappy: I served beer and pizza to good 'ol boys in a small coastal town where football was the most important event on a Friday night, except for me and my gay best friend and roommate. NO Kidding...I could have fit right in at Merlotte's. I have actually spent some time in Shreveport, LA! The books are written with very believable characters. The storyline gets rather complicated the further in the series you read. some plot complications go in tangents to each other until you feel like you need a flow chart to keep it straight. However, Sookie doesn't change dramatically; even when she can't say anything but " oh no, you shut up!", she doesn't change her basic values. I like her very much. :smileyhappy: I am saving the latest book for the long dry spell until the summer!

Kristine
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ

[ Edited ]
I love the Sookie Stackhouse books and I read all of them before True Blood was on HBO.  I read Twilight and that is the only one of the books I read in that series.  I liked the Sookie books a lot better. I keep saying I am going to go back and reread the Sookie books before Season Two of True Blood.
Message Edited by PhyllisJ on 12-21-2008 12:44 PM
Phyllis
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

I read the Twlight series and loved it, then saw HBO's True Blood and got hooked on Sookie Stackhouse. Saw the first season and now I'm reading book #1.

They're good but I'm finding nothing compares to Twilight. I guess it will take time.

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PhyllisJ wrote:
I liked the Sookie books a lot better

I agree with PhyllisJ on this...except unlike her, I merely tried to read Twilight before giving up.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a vampire book.
Message Edited by LordRuthven on 12-28-2008 04:17 PM
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I read the Twilight books first, but they are at the extreme limit of my tolerance for romance. I do like the way the characters are portrayed, but I didn't buy any of them to add to my library. Sookie Stackhouse is compulsively readable! She is someone I would like in real life, so I really enjoy the unfolding story. I have bought a couple when they were out at the library, and plan to eventually own the whole series. Charlaine Harris has a great sense of humor, which lightens up -and also makes more personal- her take on the paranormal genre. I haven't read any of her other series yet, but the library has them. Hopefully the success of TrueBlood will increase her popularity to the level of LKH or Meyers, because she is underappreciated!
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

Paula717 wrote:

I read the Twlight series and loved it, then saw HBO's True Blood and got hooked on Sookie Stackhouse. Saw the first season and now I'm reading book #1.

They're good but I'm finding nothing compares to Twilight. I guess it will take time.

I'm nearly finished reading book #2 of the Sookie Stackhouse series and have to make an amendment to my previous post. The series is more than just good, they are fantastic and I am truely enjoying them. :smileywink:
Inspired Contributor
DarkHeart
0 Kudos

That's good to hear.  I bought the set when it went on sale last month, having heard good things (and not having seen True Blood as I'm in the UK and it hasn't been on over here yet).  I've only read the first one so far and thought it was okay.  I have heard, however that the series really picks up with the second book, so I'm looking forward to getting back to it as soon as I work through a few other books in my TBR pile.
~ Nicole
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

DarkHeart wrote:
That's good to hear.  I bought the set when it went on sale last month, having heard good things (and not having seen True Blood as I'm in the UK and it hasn't been on over here yet).  I've only read the first one so far and thought it was okay.  I have heard, however that the series really picks up with the second book, so I'm looking forward to getting back to it as soon as I work through a few other books in my TBR pile.

I was up til 2:30am last night finishing the 2nd book and it was worth feeling like a zombie this morning. It definately picks up during book 2. Alot happens...  I hope you enjoy it!!:smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

The Sookie books were one of the first series I started with when I got back into scifi/fantasy books years ago.  They are in my top 10 list of must read books. I always go back to these when I want a light fun read.  I have to say, for a small town Southern gal, she gets into heap of trouble.  The onlycomplaint I have is that the cast of characters has gotten so big, I miss seeing some of them in the new books.

I've only seen one of the True Blood episodes and it didn't really follow what I remembered from the books.  I have the first season on my laptop, but haven't sat down to watch any of the episodes yet.  Though if I have to choose between a TV show/movie or the book it was based on, I choose the book every time.

Charlaine writes mysteries too, with one series about a girl who can find dead people and tell how they died.  The first one is Grave Sight.  I have the book but haven't read it yet.

New User
cece0485
0 Kudos

See, I think that the Sookie Stackhouse books are kind of like the Twilight for adults. But maybe that's just because there is the whole human/vampire love story, the shapeshifters, and Sookie has the same gift Alice had. I think that if you're older, since there's sex in the Sookie novels, I would totally recommend these books to someone who really liked Twilight.
New User
cece0485
0 Kudos

FaeryQueen wrote:

Charlaine writes mysteries too, with one series about a girl who can find dead people and tell how they died.  The first one is Grave Sight.  I have the book but haven't read it yet.

Just from reading this description of the series you're talking about, it kind of reminds me of the tv show on ABC, Pushing Daisies. Have you seen that or at least know about it?

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I have read them all except for the newest one and I am saving it for withdrawals! :smileywink: I have to agree about missing some of the characters. I understand that the more exposure and value Sookie has to the paranormal community, the farther she has to go from home. However, I really miss Merlotte's being so central to the storyline. I sure can't wait until the show gets to Alcide Herveaux; I am trying to guess what actor would be best at making him real. My #1 pick is a little busy with another show; Josh Holloway from LOST! With the long breaks that LOST is taking, Josh would actually have the time. :smileytongue:

Kristine
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

luciadelabyss wrote:
Hopefully the success of TrueBlood will increase her popularity

It seems to be working - I have noticed that Harris' vampire books are increasingly visible in bookstores and they have raced back up the sales charts. And all I can say is: full steam ahead.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 01-12-2009 08:35 PM
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

*SPOILER*

I'm on book #5 of the Sookie Stackhouse collection and I'm getting confused. Don't get me wrong, I really love the series but the author is confusing me... One second Sookie's into Bill, then it's Eric, then it Alcide then it's Sam. With each book she seems to have gotten less focused and uncertain. Is it just me? Am I missing something? :smileyindifferent:

Correspondent
NenetRN
0 Kudos

Just finished From Dead to Worse which is book #8, the last (until later this year) in the series. I absolutely LOVE the Sookie series.... i like her character, and enjoy all the paranormal characters that Charlaine throws in.... stuff and creatures i've never heard of before.

I enjoy the love triangle between her, Eric, and who ever else is interested at that time.

so yeah, love love love the books and can't wait for book #9 to come out.

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
Correspondent
NenetRN
0 Kudos

luciadelabyss wrote:
I have read them all except for the newest one and I am saving it for withdrawals! :smileywink: I have to agree about missing some of the characters. I understand that the more exposure and value Sookie has to the paranormal community, the farther she has to go from home. However, I really miss Merlotte's being so central to the storyline. I sure can't wait until the show gets to Alcide Herveaux; I am trying to guess what actor would be best at making him real. My #1 pick is a little busy with another show; Josh Holloway from LOST! With the long breaks that LOST is taking, Josh would actually have the time. :smileytongue:

Kristine

That's funny cuz I've thought of that myseld, not that actual actor but when characters

that i like come up i wonder "Hmmm who would play him or her on the show?" Josh is a good pick.

I can't wait to see who plays Quinn... i just LOVE bald men, i'm thinking Vin Diesel. :smileyvery-happy:

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
New User
DocMom
0 Kudos

Just for clarification sake- Sookie has the same ability as Edward....reading minds.... Alice was a precog.  I agree about the Twilight being for YA and the Sookie series for adults...regardless, I liked them both!  Its interesting to see how different authors have different rules for Vamps (i.e., coming out in the daytime, wooden stake, invited in etc...).