Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Nina_Sky
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I've never really enjoyed reading, not beacuse i didn't like to read. I just never found a book that captivated me. Then i found Twilight (like many others on this thread) and it changed my world. I read all of them in a week(:smileysurprised:)!!! Once i was done with that series i read Stephanie Meyers first adult book "The Host" (strongly recommend). I i think i get post pardum depression from my books. I was moping around at work, when finally my manager told me about the book the HBO had a series on. I ran to BN and bought the first installment of The Sookie Stackhouse series. I finished the first book in a week. It took me awhile to get into it. I think i have to blame Twilight for that. Now, I'm hooked!! I just started the second book and from what i read on this thread i can't wait to get deeper into the series.:smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Nina_Sky,  

Thats the same thing that happened with me!! I was never a really big reader because I could never find a book to catch my attention. (I blame that on years and years of being forced to read books that I had no interest about!) But once I finished Twilight I didn't know what to do with myself! I def had that post pardum depression you mentioned and felt like Iwouldn't find a series like that again..Then True Blood came along! I read a book a day in that series ( now the Barnes and Noble by my house knows me by name haha) I stopped before the last book and started reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood with is a lot different but I am actually enjoying it a lot. I'm waititng for it to get closer to Harris's release date of her newest book in the sookie series and i'll just read them both together lol Once you start reading you'll realize the series only gets better!!!

Hope you like them just as much! And if you find another series afterwards let me know!!

~Little_Jacky

(sorry for the long post! hah)

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Merceyandgrace,

How is the J.F. Lewis series?? Ive beein hearing about it a lot lately. I'm reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood series now until Sookie comes back! And I'm blowing through it.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Jacky,

Staked was a very good book.  It is humorous and different from Sookie's books.  The second book Revamped is due out the end of the month so you would be with the rest of us in reading it.  I found Staked last year and first posted about it then.  I just reread it to refresh the story and enjoyed it as much the second time as I did the first.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Correspondent
NenetRN
0 Kudos

Little_Jacky wrote:

Nina_Sky,  

Thats the same thing that happened with me!!

But once I finished Twilight I didn't know what to do with myself! I def had that post pardum depression you mentioned and felt like Iwouldn't find a series like that again..Then True Blood came along! I read a book a day in that series ( now the Barnes and Noble by my house knows me by name haha) 

I'm waititng for it to get closer to Harris's release date of her newest book in the sookie series and i'll just read them both together lol Once you start reading you'll realize the series only gets better!!!

Hope you like them just as much! And if you find another series afterwards let me know!!

~Little_Jacky

(sorry for the long post! hah)

Jacky,

I too went from Twilight to Sookie, and i just love the Sookie series. I've read all of them and i'm anxiously waiting for book #9, Dead and Gone. In the meantime i'm reading the Felix Gomez series by Mario Acevedo, it starts with The Nymphos of Rocky Flats, if you want to check them out!

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Nina_Sky

Yeah someone mentioned that to me before. How do you like the book? And I cannot wait for the latest sookie!!! Ahhh  do you watch the series?

New User
rmbrooks
0 Kudos

I just finished (devoured, really) all of the paperbacks in the series and waiting for March when the next one comes out in paperback.   I'm like everyone else who read Twilight and liked it.  I found Sookie by doing a web search to see what everyone else who liked Twilight was into.  And lo and behold here's a series that's going strong and has a series on HBO to boot!  I wondered, since I didn't know of Twilight until the last book came out, and I didn't know about Sookie until recently, what else am I missing that people who love these books are enjoying?
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

rmbrooks wrote:
I just finished (devoured, really) all of the paperbacks in the series and waiting for March when the next one comes out in paperback.   I'm like everyone else who read Twilight and liked it.  I found Sookie by doing a web search to see what everyone else who liked Twilight was into.  And lo and behold here's a series that's going strong and has a series on HBO to boot!  I wondered, since I didn't know of Twilight until the last book came out, and I didn't know about Sookie until recently, what else am I missing that people who love these books are enjoying?

(chuckle) to save Paul 

check out the thread Genre Series Primer   

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

rmbrooks wrote:

(chuckle) to save Paul 

check out the thread Genre Series Primer   

Thanks, Tig – as per Toni's suggestion, I'm moving the Primer to the top.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Paula717 wrote:

*SPOILER*

I'm on book #5 of the Sookie Stackhouse collection and I'm getting confused. Don't get me wrong, I really love the series but the author is confusing me... One second Sookie's into Bill, then it's Eric, then it Alcide then it's Sam. With each book she seems to have gotten less focused and uncertain. Is it just me? Am I missing something? :smileyindifferent:

Well, sookie's the Bees Knees HAHA sorry I def just heard someone say that and I felt I had to! LOL anyway..More men get thrown into the mix later on but it gets sorted out for the most part. I just finished book 7 and shes stil doing a balancing act but it will make more sense later on...How far into the series are you now?

~Jacky

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

NenetRN wrote:

Just finished From Dead to Worse which is book #8, the last (until later this year) in the series. I absolutely LOVE the Sookie series.... i like her character, and enjoy all the paranormal characters that Charlaine throws in.... stuff and creatures i've never heard of before.

I enjoy the love triangle between her, Eric, and who ever else is interested at that time.

so yeah, love love love the books and can't wait for book #9 to come out.

Soo from Dead to Worse has been released?! I'M SO CONFUSED! Ijust finished book 7 and went to check on when her next book was being released which is in May. Then I realized it jumped from 7 to 9 so that wasn't right obviously so I went to order book 8..Then on amazon it said pre order for March 09 which didn't happen yet...So are you saying the book is already released :smileyhappy:!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Jacky,

Someone miscounted be`cause there are only eight out right now and nine comes out in March.  The titles in order are:

1.  Dead Until Dark

2.  Living Dead In Dallas

3.  Club Dead

4.  Dead To The World

5.  Dead As A Doornail

6.  Definitely Dead

7.  All Together Dead

8.  From Dead To Worse

9.  Dead And Gone (Mar '09)

I hope that clears up the confusion for you and she says on her website that she is working on number 10.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

Little_Jacky wrote:

Paula717 wrote:

*SPOILER*

I'm on book #5 of the Sookie Stackhouse collection and I'm getting confused. Don't get me wrong, I really love the series but the author is confusing me... One second Sookie's into Bill, then it's Eric, then it Alcide then it's Sam. With each book she seems to have gotten less focused and uncertain. Is it just me? Am I missing something? :smileyindifferent:

Well, sookie's the Bees Knees HAHA sorry I def just heard someone say that and I felt I had to! LOL anyway..More men get thrown into the mix later on but it gets sorted out for the most part. I just finished book 7 and shes stil doing a balancing act but it will make more sense later on...How far into the series are you now?

~Jacky

You're right, it makes sense now. I finished book 7 as well and am waiting on 8 in paperback, which I believe comes out next month. I'm loving the series and am not sure yet who'd I'd like her to end up with, Eric or Bill. I like them both for totally different reasons. I admit I'm leaning towards Eric but a tiny voice in my mind keeps chanting Bill, Bill, Bill... LOL! One character I did not feel the chemistry with was Quinn.

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paula,

I remember from an interview I heard with her that she said that we have not met the Man that will become Sookie's true love yet and I will be interested if we do in this next book.  She did say that it would not be Bill or Eric.  Other than that she  wouldn't say.  Not even what that person  would be.  I agree that Quinn was not the right one but I also don't think that the others have been the right one.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

*Spoiler if you haven't read to book 6*

Yeah, I was sooooo for Bill for so long but anytime I try to forgive him the one word seems to pop up "Selah" AHHH ruins it everytime for me lol

I love Sookie and Eric! I  think they're cute together...Quinn on the other hand...I've just been skeptical of him the whole time

I can't believe you've heard she's going to be with someone other than Bill or Eric..I cannot wait for more books in this series!

~Jacky

Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Paula,

I remember from an interview I heard with her that she said that we have not met the Man that will become Sookie's true love yet and I will be interested if we do in this next book.  She did say that it would not be Bill or Eric.  Other than that she  wouldn't say.  Not even what that person  would be.  I agree that Quinn was not the right one but I also don't think that the others have been the right one.

Toni

That's interesting. I did hear the author said in an interview that she'd never "turn" Sookie, so I guess that means she wouldn't end up with a vampire for she'd age. I always thought she'd wind up a "were", considering the close calls she's had with them. It'll be interesting to see where the stories go from here.

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Paula717 wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Paula,

Toni

That's interesting. I did hear the author said in an interview that she'd never "turn" Sookie, so I guess that means she wouldn't end up with a vampire for she'd age. I always thought she'd wind up a "were", considering the close calls she's had with them. It'll be interesting to see where the stories go from here.

Well considering with both of her other series; she ages, and kills the true loves of her protaganics. It kinda gives a bad future for Sookie.

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Tiggerbear

I hope your wrong about sookie lol You read Harris's other series? How were they in comparison to the Southern Vampire series?

~Jacky

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Paula,

Thats interesting that you figured she would "turn were" . I never picked up on that but now I see your point..hmm..

Jacky

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Jacky,

Someone miscounted be`cause there are only eight out right now and nine comes out in March.  The titles in order are:

1.  Dead Until Dark

2.  Living Dead In Dallas

3.  Club Dead

4.  Dead To The World

5.  Dead As A Doornail

6.  Definitely Dead

7.  All Together Dead

8.  From Dead To Worse

9.  Dead And Gone (Mar '09)

I hope that clears up the confusion for you and she says on her website that she is working on number 10.

Toni

Thanks for clarifying it! I was confused because some places were saying Dead and Gone was coming out in May? And From Dead to Worse is still on pre order but I just realized thats to pre order the paper back...[hits forehead] :smileyhappy:

Thanks again!

~Jacky