Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I am a newbie to the Sookie Stackhouse books, but I watched all of Season 1/True Blood.  Now I read Twilight and I am an avid fan so don't beat me up when I say this...

 

Is it just me or was Twilight a little similar to Dead until Dark? 

 

- Sookie could read minds except Bill (the vamp) -  swith Edward (the vamp) couldn't read Bella.

 

- Shapeshifter and vamps, not to mention both after the girl

 

I know its not a whole lot and writers have similar ideas all the time. But the whole mind reading thing threw me off a bit.  Not from Sookie, but Twilight. 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎03-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I own them all and buy the new ones as soon as they hit the shelf. The Sookie Stackhouse novels are nothing like Twilight other than the fact they both have vampires and werewolves. The way Charlaine Harris handles the subject matter is completely different than Stephanie meyers. The Sookie books are ( atleast in the first ones ) murder mysteries in which the main characters happen to be paranormal.  Harris was a mystery writer for years before she started writing anything close to paranormal fiction. (See the Aurora Teagarden series and the Lily Bard series.) All of Harris's books are worth a read.

 

Some one earlier mentioned Grave Sight which is her book about a woman who was struck by lightening and can find dead bodies. This series is fantastic also.

 

But just as a warning, Most of Harris's books are much darker in tone than the Sookie novels. They are not as light hearted and tend to deal with tougher subject matter.

 

any way to get to the point. Both series are good but my Favorite is the Sookie Stackhouse series.

Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎03-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

and for anyone who's curious...

 

Dead until Dark was published in 2001

 

Twilight was first published in 2005...

 

 

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


Nat-the-Cat wrote:

I LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I own them all and buy the new ones as soon as they hit the shelf. The Sookie Stackhouse novels are nothing like Twilight other than the fact they both have vampires and werewolves. The way Charlaine Harris handles the subject matter is completely different than Stephanie meyers. The Sookie books are ( atleast in the first ones ) murder mysteries in which the main characters happen to be paranormal.  Harris was a mystery writer for years before she started writing anything close to paranormal fiction. (See the Aurora Teagarden series and the Lily Bard series.) All of Harris's books are worth a read.

 

Some one earlier mentioned Grave Sight which is her book about a woman who was struck by lightening and can find dead bodies. This series is fantastic also.

 

But just as a warning, Most of Harris's books are much darker in tone than the Sookie novels. They are not as light hearted and tend to deal with tougher subject matter.

 

any way to get to the point. Both series are good but my Favorite is the Sookie Stackhouse series.


I didn't say the Sookie Stackhouse books were like Twilight, I said the Twilight books were like the Sookie Stackhouse books... different statement completly. I loved the first Sookie Stackhouse book much more the Twilight, I was just pointing out the fact that there were some similarities and wondered if anyone else noticed. 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎03-02-2009

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


I didn't say the Sookie Stackhouse books were like Twilight, I said the Twilight books were like the Sookie Stackhouse books... different statement completly. I loved the first Sookie Stackhouse book much more the Twilight, I was just pointing out the fact that there were some similarities and wondered if anyone else noticed. 


Sorry, I guess my post came out snottier than I meant it too.:smileysad: It wasn't directed at you. We were saying the same thing.  I've been spending too much time around some of my little sister's friends and even some of my friends to whom Twilight is akin to the bible. They talk about it non-stop and any discussion about other books somehow comes back to twilight. Not that I don't like twilight because I do. They're a wonderful story but to alot of people Twilight has become some kind of weirdo obsession and it drives me nuts.

Sorry if I gave any offense. It wasn't intended.

 

Sookie > Bella

 

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


Nat-the-Cat wrote:

I didn't say the Sookie Stackhouse books were like Twilight, I said the Twilight books were like the Sookie Stackhouse books... different statement completly. I loved the first Sookie Stackhouse book much more the Twilight, I was just pointing out the fact that there were some similarities and wondered if anyone else noticed. 


Sorry, I guess my post came out snottier than I meant it too.:smileysad: It wasn't directed at you. We were saying the same thing.  I've been spending too much time around some of my little sister's friends and even some of my friends to whom Twilight is akin to the bible. They talk about it non-stop and any discussion about other books somehow comes back to twilight. Not that I don't like twilight because I do. They're a wonderful story but to alot of people Twilight has become some kind of weirdo obsession and it drives me nuts.

Sorry if I gave any offense. It wasn't intended.

 

Sookie > Bella

 

 


Not a problem, I liked Twilight too... but it is becoming somewhat old news. :smileytongue: I was just curious if anyone saw the same thing I did when I read the first Sookie Stackhouse book.  I was actually a little put off Stephenie Meyer when I got that "I've read this before" feeling, because I knew SM wrote her stuff later. 

 

 I just watched the first episode of True Blood 2nd season.  Excellent.  I'm gonna start the 2nd book after I finish LKH Merry Gentry series.  Almost done, I am half way through book 4. 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,075
Registered: ‎03-18-2008

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

[ Edited ]

Yeah my daughter thought SM's version of the vampire avoiding sunlight was lame....I have to admit I feel the same way.  I like the older belief that either vampires "died" during the day (Anita Blake for instance) or just flat out burst into flames.  :-)

 

I watched the opening ep of season 2 for True Blood...sooooooo glad it was not "you know who we feared it was" that was dead in the car.  Phew!  Some interesting new characters though...and that woman Tara is with...I'm thinking maybe she's a succubus?  Just the way she seems to feed off sex. That's my take anyways.  They're supposed to introduce some big, bad, VERY old female vampire down the line too.  Caught a little snippet on one of the entertainment shows.

Message Edited by SciFiCanuck on 06-16-2009 04:01 PM
My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


SciFiCanuck wrote:

Yeah my daughter thought SM's version of the vampire avoiding sunlight was lame....I have to admit I feel the same way.  I like the older belief that either vampires "died" during the day (Anita Blake for instance) or just flat out burst into flames.  :-)

 

I watched the opening ep of season 2 for True Blood...sooooooo glad it was not "you know who we feared it was" that was dead in the car.  Phew!  Some interesting new characters though...and that woman Tara is with...I'm thinking maybe she's a succubus?  Just the way she seems to feed off sex. That's my take anyways.  They're supposed to introduce some big, bad, VERY old female vampire down the line too.  Caught a little snippet on one of the entertainment shows.

Message Edited by SciFiCanuck on 06-16-2009 04:01 PM

 

Yeah I heard there was supposed to be something big coming this season.  I enjoyed the first episode.  I am definately curious about Marianne.  I haven't read any more of the Sookie Stackhouse books, so I don't know what the deal is with that. 
HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Inspired Contributor
SarahReadsAlot
Posts: 69
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I love the Sookie Stackhouse novels and the tv series. I also love the Twilight series. Afew of my friends have asked me about it, and I guess I just dont think about it that much. They are different to me in the way that one is YA and one is so very not Young Adult. I innocence of the the Twilight series, but I love the Sookie books its raw nature. Also because of all the different characters that are in the Sookie books. I will prob always have a soft spot for the Twilight series in my heart because they got me to start reading again when I was in a really really weird time in my life...

 

Oh, also Bill and Edward are my two least favorite characters in both series because they are entirely way to emo for my liking... as well as Richard from the Anita Blake series... They just whine and cry too much...

What does it mean when nightmares long for dreams and shadows wish for light?
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


SarahReadsAlot wrote:

I love the Sookie Stackhouse novels and the tv series. I also love the Twilight series. Afew of my friends have asked me about it, and I guess I just dont think about it that much. They are different to me in the way that one is YA and one is so very not Young Adult. I innocence of the the Twilight series, but I love the Sookie books its raw nature. Also because of all the different characters that are in the Sookie books. I will prob always have a soft spot for the Twilight series in my heart because they got me to start reading again when I was in a really really weird time in my life...

 

Oh, also Bill and Edward are my two least favorite characters in both series because they are entirely way to emo for my liking... as well as Richard from the Anita Blake series... They just whine and cry too much...


I loved Twilight.  I liked Edward, but he was kinda emo to me.  Richard from the Blake series seriously gets on my nerves.  I kinda stopped reading the series for a bit b/c I thought LKH started going away from what Anita used to be about.  I heard her new novel Skin Trade was really good though.  I am not enough into the Sookie Stackhouse series to really have an opinion on Bill yet, but I had a feeling he would be very "needy". 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎03-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


SarahReadsAlot wrote:

 

Oh, also Bill and Edward are my two least favorite characters in both series because they are entirely way to emo for my liking... as well as Richard from the Anita Blake series... They just whine and cry too much...


 

I have to agree with you on all three of those.   ( Possible spoiler ) I don't like Bill b/c once a cheater always a cheater as far as I'm concerned.  On Edward my problem is more with how Bella reacts when he suddenly reappears after he leaves her for a year with no contact. She just runs back to him no questions asked. That is incrediby naive and no self respecting woman or girl would react that way. If it were me Edward and I would have a serious "coming to jesus talk" as my momma would say.

Richard from the Anita Blake series I liked at first, but as the series progressed he did get whinier and whinier. I thought he needed to put up or shut up. Unfortunately he did neither.

I've also heard that Skin Trade was supposed to be a throw back to the first Anita books. I'll be buying it once it comes out in paperback.

*Possible Spoiler* The New episode of True blood that just played this past Sunday.

I liked what someone said about Marianne possibly being a Succubus. That seems to fit the character from the show more than her being a Maenad (spelling?) like she is in the book. I wonder if that was still Marianne that attacked Sookie in the woods and if so where is the "Big a$$ mother Freakin" Paul Bunyan Pig as Tara put it.

 

New User
cece0485
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

You mention the naivete of Bella taking Edward back no questions asked after a year. Well its just that. She's 17. I think a lot of 17 year old girls would take their first love back under these circumstances. Not everyone, but a lot.
Frequent Contributor
RedB
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎03-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

SPOILERS FOR DEAD AND GONE AHEAD!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

I love Sookie and I love this book but I really didn't like a couple things.

 

One, I did not like the way Claudine was killed.  One throwaway line for such an important character?  Plus we just found out she was pregnant?  I really hope Claudine pulls a Obi Wan and shows back up as an angel.

 

Two, what was that glimmer of interest in Bill we got at the end?  I don't hate Bill like a lot of fans do but can we please stop beating that dead horse?

 

This next thing isn't a complaint.

 

Really Arlene?  Wow.  I didn't even realize how far she had fallen until I recently re-read the series and remembered how good of friends they once were. (Although she always took advantage of Sookie's kindness and the fact that she didn't have a lot of friends and would take a lot of crap.)  I know it's totally silly but I wish I lived in Bon Temps so I could be Sookie's friend!  

Current book(s): Re-reading the Southern Vampire series.
Santa Olivia
Silk
Contributor
Soccercoach
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎12-10-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I'm currently reading the 2nd book - Living Dead in Dallas.  The book is so different from season 2 of true blood. The Creature that clawed Sookie....., Jason joining the Fellowship of the Sun.... The death of Lafayette.... The over sexed shapeshifter. It will be interesting to see where True Blood goes with this.

 

 

Contributor
morninglight67
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎07-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Where do I start?  I think Sookie is great fun... although can be dark... I hated the way book 7 ended but loved how book 8 did.

 

TrueBlood - I just watched season 1 and probably won't continue to watch.  I do not like some of the twists to the storyline that they've made and there seems to be way too much emphasis on the bedroom scenes.

 

Twilight - I didn't care for the first book really, but the last book was great and I really enjoyed each book more than the prior.

 

If you like these series, check out Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan Series - the first is Dead Witch Walking - and Patricia Brigg's were-series.  Kim has become my favorite author and I enjoy her series more than Charlaine's.

 

Also, I love to listen to books on cd while driving - if you've never tried it, the Sookie series is a great one to start with... the reader does a great job with voices and is easy to listen to.

Inspired Contributor
SarahReadsAlot
Posts: 69
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

If you like the old school Anita world you will like Skin Trade. I loved it as usual. I agree about the last True Blood episode. Im not really sure what to think about the possible change in her character. I loved the book and I love the tv show, so I am not really sure how I feel. I cant wait til this weeks episode to see what happens next.

Nat-the-Cat wrote:

SarahReadsAlot wrote:

 

Oh, also Bill and Edward are my two least favorite characters in both series because they are entirely way to emo for my liking... as well as Richard from the Anita Blake series... They just whine and cry too much...


 

I have to agree with you on all three of those.   ( Possible spoiler ) I don't like Bill b/c once a cheater always a cheater as far as I'm concerned.  On Edward my problem is more with how Bella reacts when he suddenly reappears after he leaves her for a year with no contact. She just runs back to him no questions asked. That is incrediby naive and no self respecting woman or girl would react that way. If it were me Edward and I would have a serious "coming to jesus talk" as my momma would say.

Richard from the Anita Blake series I liked at first, but as the series progressed he did get whinier and whinier. I thought he needed to put up or shut up. Unfortunately he did neither.

I've also heard that Skin Trade was supposed to be a throw back to the first Anita books. I'll be buying it once it comes out in paperback.

*Possible Spoiler* The New episode of True blood that just played this past Sunday.

I liked what someone said about Marianne possibly being a Succubus. That seems to fit the character from the show more than her being a Maenad (spelling?) like she is in the book. I wonder if that was still Marianne that attacked Sookie in the woods and if so where is the "Big a$$ mother Freakin" Paul Bunyan Pig as Tara put it.

 


 

What does it mean when nightmares long for dreams and shadows wish for light?
New User
kk071175
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-27-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I have read almost all of the Sookie Stackhouse books except the last, Dead and Gone.  I have been quite impressed with all of the books.  I wizzed through all the books except the last one.  Unfortunately, it threw me for a loop when I had to preorder the last book, now I just have been so busy to read the last one.  I am however a True Blood fanatic also.  I was very happy to know that the books give the characters a more developed feel then the True Blood series.  I hope Charlaine Harris will continue to write on this series because I am hooked-hook, line and sinker.
Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I am totally with you on being hooked on this series...I hope she just keeps going and going..

 

I for one am kind of enjoying the fact that true blood is different than teh books..although I love harris's story..i like that I do not know what to expect each week..

 

this sunday's episode (aug2) was soooo good! i cant wait ttill next week!

Contributor
TeamVampire80
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎08-07-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Hi Everyone!

Can I join in?

I have just begun reading Vampire books. I never would have thought that I would be into them! I haven't read many yet, but I have read The Twilight Saga, the first two books in the House of night Series (I think they are more for YA), and I am on book 5 of Sookie!

I LOVED Twilight. LOVE LOVE LOVE Edward. I see there are mixed reviews about it. I fell in love with the series. I love the whole Cullen family. The Sookie series is pretty good. I have to say though book 2 was very long for me. It took off in book 3! I love the characters in the series. I haven't watched True Blood, although I am planning on renting the first season and watching it. I think Twilight and The Sookie Stackhouse Series are similiar but still different, if that makes sense. I love the fact that the Vamps have fangs in the Stackhouse series. Oh and I am definitely routing for Eric and Sookie. I loved them together. But I like Alcide too...and Sam. Whatever, I like all of the supes! : )

Has anyone read Vampire kisses? I just bought that book. I hope it is good.
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I haven't read all the books you mentioned.

I have read the first Twilight book, it was OK. I might read another there.

I just finished the 3rd Sookie Stackhouse. You are right the 3rd book was the best of the set so far.

I will be watching to see what others reply.

 


TeamVampire80 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Can I join in?

I have just begun reading Vampire books. I never would have thought that I would be into them! I haven't read many yet, but I have read The Twilight Saga, the first two books in the House of night Series (I think they are more for YA), and I am on book 5 of Sookie!

I LOVED Twilight. LOVE LOVE LOVE Edward. I see there are mixed reviews about it. I fell in love with the series. I love the whole Cullen family. The Sookie series is pretty good. I have to say though book 2 was very long for me. It took off in book 3! I love the characters in the series. I haven't watched True Blood, although I am planning on renting the first season and watching it. I think Twilight and The Sookie Stackhouse Series are similiar but still different, if that makes sense. I love the fact that the Vamps have fangs in the Stackhouse series. Oh and I am definitely routing for Eric and Sookie. I loved them together. But I like Alcide too...and Sam. Whatever, I like all of the supes! : )

Has anyone read Vampire kisses? I just bought that book. I hope it is good.