Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

TeamVampire80 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Can I join in?

I have just begun reading Vampire books. I never would have thought that I would be into them! I haven't read many yet, but I have read The Twilight Saga, the first two books in the House of night Series (I think they are more for YA), and I am on book 5 of Sookie!

I LOVED Twilight. LOVE LOVE LOVE Edward. I see there are mixed reviews about it. I fell in love with the series. I love the whole Cullen family. The Sookie series is pretty good. I have to say though book 2 was very long for me. It took off in book 3! I love the characters in the series. I haven't watched True Blood, although I am planning on renting the first season and watching it. I think Twilight and The Sookie Stackhouse Series are similiar but still different, if that makes sense. I love the fact that the Vamps have fangs in the Stackhouse series. Oh and I am definitely routing for Eric and Sookie. I loved them together. But I like Alcide too...and Sam. Whatever, I like all of the supes! : )

Has anyone read Vampire kisses? I just bought that book. I hope it is good.

I'd say if you liked Twilight you'll like Vampire Kisses. Different, but kinda the different betweena cherry starburst and a strawberry one.

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

The 3rd book was def my favorite! Thats probably the only book I really hope the producers stick to the script with lol
Contributor
TeamVampire80

So is everyone watching True Blood? I like the show but I think they are trying to hard to make it rated R. I mean, nudity or swearing doesn't offend me if it fits. But I think the f word flying around like it is hello is stupid. And I am over Jason and his horn dog self! Anyone else feel the same?
Contributor
wendyreads09
0 Kudos

I absolutely love the Sookie Stackhouse books.  I read them all in sequence which I think you need to do in order to understand each character and the story.  I have these books in my Books I Could Read Over and Over Essentials list.  Can't wait for the next installments.
Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The next book in the series is going to be called Dead in the Family.

"This has been a week of working, working, working as I try to bring DEAD IN THE FAMILY to a close. Lots of unexpected things happened, and I realized I have to cut a couple of characters I had big plans for, but I’ll save them for another book. It took me a while to realize what the theme of the book was, and when I realized it was about family – Eric’s, Sam’s, Sookie’s, Bill’s – suddenly everything became much easier."

From the authors blog Charlaine Harris website 

Message Edited by sifu-hotman on 08-11-2009 02:37 PM
Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

sifu-hotman wrote:

The next book in the series is going to be called Dead in the Family.

"This has been a week of working, working, working as I try to bring DEAD IN THE FAMILY to a close. Lots of unexpected things happened, and I realized I have to cut a couple of characters I had big plans for, but I’ll save them for another book. It took me a while to realize what the theme of the book was, and when I realized it was about family – Eric’s, Sam’s, Sookie’s, Bill’s – suddenly everything became much easier."

From the authors blog Charlaine Harris website 

Message Edited by sifu-hotman on 08-11-2009 02:37 PM

thanks for this post!

means shell be writing more books! 

do we have any idea when this book wil be released?

Contributor
morninglight67
0 Kudos

Little_Jacky wrote:

do we have any idea when this book wil be released?

It will be on sale next May... long time to wait!!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Anyone watch the episode on Sunday?  Hoo-boy did I bawl at the end...when Sookie was crying for Godrick.  :-(  Sooooooooo sad.  But very touching.
My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Wordsmith
Chomp

Here is the link to a very cool set of interviews with Charlaine.

http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=12153

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
CleverTwenty

I have read them all so far, I watched about 5 minutes of the HBO series and I turned it off. Not because of the plots but the acting was TERRIBLE  imo.   I really enjoyed the series of the books thus far.

Http://cleverlyinked.blogspot.com
New User
Maclaine
0 Kudos

Haha, I started watching the HBO True Blood series when my roommate brought home the DVDs... I've been a bit turned off by the idea of reading the books based on the television series.  Should I perhaps entertain the idea of giving the books a chance? 

Sookie's character is a little annoying to me.  Perhaps she's just a bit wholesome and naive.  It does provide her with a bit of charm, but I feel characters like Sookie might be... 'over-used' in this genre of writing.  I could be wrong, though...

TiggerBear

Maclaine wrote:

Haha, I started watching the HBO True Blood series when my roommate brought home the DVDs... I've been a bit turned off by the idea of reading the books based on the television series.  Should I perhaps entertain the idea of giving the books a chance? 

Sookie's character is a little annoying to me.  Perhaps she's just a bit wholesome and naive.  It does provide her with a bit of charm, but I feel characters like Sookie might be... 'over-used' in this genre of writing.  I could be wrong, though...

Ahh but it's TV based on Books. Books came first. And though I like the show, books are better.

Contributor
morninglight67
0 Kudos

And I watched season 1 and couldn't stand it... the core storyline was there, but there was enough changed that I just didn't enjoy it at all.  The characters are a lot more 3-dimensional in the books.  I've actually listened to all of them in my car... they have a great narrator.

And on the Sookie-character being over-done... definitely have to move along in the series... there's quite a few times when things don't turn out rosey, which to me makes her quite a bit different from most heroines in my experience.

So yes, read the books... much different from the series.

paulgoatallen

I'll say it as well – the HBO series was created from the novels and, although I've only watched a few episodes, I see the two as different entities. There is so much in the novels that just can't translate to film – I would read the novels FIRST then watch the show...

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Scribe
debbook

Holy Cow, A whole Sookie thread. I just started them a couple of months ago for a blog challenge. I am currently on book 7. I saw the first season of True Blood and part of the second Season- I thought it would stay on HBO demand longer than it did, now I have to wait for the DVD release. I like Bill much better on the show. But I keep them seperate in my mind

I think my favorite on besides Dead Until Dark  is Dead to the World.I love Eric!

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

Holy Cow, A whole Sookie thread. I just started them a couple of months ago for a blog challenge. I am currently on book 7. I saw the first season of True Blood and part of the second Season- I thought it would stay on HBO demand longer than it did, now I have to wait for the DVD release. I like Bill much better on the show. But I keep them seperate in my mind

I think my favorite on besides Dead Until Dark  is Dead to the World.I love Eric!

(chuckle) Wow, we been talking about this for what 2 years more??

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

debbook wrote:

Hey, I just discovered Sookie and just started getting into paranormal!                                                                  I'm always late to the party :smileyhappy:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

debbook wrote:

Hey, I just discovered Sookie and just started getting into paranormal!                                                                  I'm always late to the party :smileyhappy:

That's just fine! :smileyhappy:

It's just strange sometimes to find how long we talk about some subjects. It sneaks up on you.

Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

Has anyone picked up the short story collection A Touch of Dead?  Was it worth it?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

FaeryQueen wrote:

Has anyone picked up the short story collection A Touch of Dead?  Was it worth it?

Do you have any other short story collection with Harris in them?

This is just a reprint bundle of the bits she planted in several short story collections.