Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


TeamVampire80 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Can I join in?

I have just begun reading Vampire books. I never would have thought that I would be into them! I haven't read many yet, but I have read The Twilight Saga, the first two books in the House of night Series (I think they are more for YA), and I am on book 5 of Sookie!

I LOVED Twilight. LOVE LOVE LOVE Edward. I see there are mixed reviews about it. I fell in love with the series. I love the whole Cullen family. The Sookie series is pretty good. I have to say though book 2 was very long for me. It took off in book 3! I love the characters in the series. I haven't watched True Blood, although I am planning on renting the first season and watching it. I think Twilight and The Sookie Stackhouse Series are similiar but still different, if that makes sense. I love the fact that the Vamps have fangs in the Stackhouse series. Oh and I am definitely routing for Eric and Sookie. I loved them together. But I like Alcide too...and Sam. Whatever, I like all of the supes! : )

Has anyone read Vampire kisses? I just bought that book. I hope it is good.

I'd say if you liked Twilight you'll like Vampire Kisses. Different, but kinda the different betweena cherry starburst and a strawberry one.

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

The 3rd book was def my favorite! Thats probably the only book I really hope the producers stick to the script with lol
Contributor
TeamVampire80
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎08-07-2009

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

So is everyone watching True Blood? I like the show but I think they are trying to hard to make it rated R. I mean, nudity or swearing doesn't offend me if it fits. But I think the f word flying around like it is hello is stupid. And I am over Jason and his horn dog self! Anyone else feel the same?
Contributor
wendyreads09
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎08-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I absolutely love the Sookie Stackhouse books.  I read them all in sequence which I think you need to do in order to understand each character and the story.  I have these books in my Books I Could Read Over and Over Essentials list.  Can't wait for the next installments.
Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎07-24-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

[ Edited ]

The next book in the series is going to be called Dead in the Family.

 

 "This has been a week of working, working, working as I try to bring DEAD IN THE FAMILY to a close. Lots of unexpected things happened, and I realized I have to cut a couple of characters I had big plans for, but I’ll save them for another book. It took me a while to realize what the theme of the book was, and when I realized it was about family – Eric’s, Sam’s, Sookie’s, Bill’s – suddenly everything became much easier."

 

From the authors blog Charlaine Harris website 

 

Message Edited by sifu-hotman on 08-11-2009 02:37 PM
Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


sifu-hotman wrote:

The next book in the series is going to be called Dead in the Family.

 

 "This has been a week of working, working, working as I try to bring DEAD IN THE FAMILY to a close. Lots of unexpected things happened, and I realized I have to cut a couple of characters I had big plans for, but I’ll save them for another book. It took me a while to realize what the theme of the book was, and when I realized it was about family – Eric’s, Sam’s, Sookie’s, Bill’s – suddenly everything became much easier."

 

From the authors blog Charlaine Harris website 

 

Message Edited by sifu-hotman on 08-11-2009 02:37 PM

thanks for this post!

means shell be writing more books! 

 

do we have any idea when this book wil be released?

Contributor
morninglight67
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎07-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse


Little_Jacky wrote:

 

do we have any idea when this book wil be released?


It will be on sale next May... long time to wait!!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,072
Registered: ‎03-18-2008

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Anyone watch the episode on Sunday?  Hoo-boy did I bawl at the end...when Sookie was crying for Godrick.  :-(  Sooooooooo sad.  But very touching.
My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Wordsmith
Chomp
Posts: 1,241
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Here is the link to a very cool set of interviews with Charlaine.

 

http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=12153

 

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
CleverTwenty
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎10-25-2009

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I have read them all so far, I watched about 5 minutes of the HBO series and I turned it off. Not because of the plots but the acting was TERRIBLE  imo.   I really enjoyed the series of the books thus far.

Http://cleverlyinked.blogspot.com
New User
Maclaine
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Haha, I started watching the HBO True Blood series when my roommate brought home the DVDs... I've been a bit turned off by the idea of reading the books based on the television series.  Should I perhaps entertain the idea of giving the books a chance? 

Sookie's character is a little annoying to me.  Perhaps she's just a bit wholesome and naive.  It does provide her with a bit of charm, but I feel characters like Sookie might be... 'over-used' in this genre of writing.  I could be wrong, though...

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

 


Maclaine wrote:

Haha, I started watching the HBO True Blood series when my roommate brought home the DVDs... I've been a bit turned off by the idea of reading the books based on the television series.  Should I perhaps entertain the idea of giving the books a chance? 

Sookie's character is a little annoying to me.  Perhaps she's just a bit wholesome and naive.  It does provide her with a bit of charm, but I feel characters like Sookie might be... 'over-used' in this genre of writing.  I could be wrong, though...


 

Ahh but it's TV based on Books. Books came first. And though I like the show, books are better.

 

Contributor
morninglight67
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎07-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

And I watched season 1 and couldn't stand it... the core storyline was there, but there was enough changed that I just didn't enjoy it at all.  The characters are a lot more 3-dimensional in the books.  I've actually listened to all of them in my car... they have a great narrator.

 

And on the Sookie-character being over-done... definitely have to move along in the series... there's quite a few times when things don't turn out rosey, which to me makes her quite a bit different from most heroines in my experience.

 

So yes, read the books... much different from the series.

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,326
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

I'll say it as well – the HBO series was created from the novels and, although I've only watched a few episodes, I see the two as different entities. There is so much in the novels that just can't translate to film – I would read the novels FIRST then watch the show...

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Holy Cow, A whole Sookie thread. I just started them a couple of months ago for a blog challenge. I am currently on book 7. I saw the first season of True Blood and part of the second Season- I thought it would stay on HBO demand longer than it did, now I have to wait for the DVD release. I like Bill much better on the show. But I keep them seperate in my mind

I think my favorite on besides Dead Until Dark  is Dead to the World.I love Eric!

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

 


debbook wrote:

Holy Cow, A whole Sookie thread. I just started them a couple of months ago for a blog challenge. I am currently on book 7. I saw the first season of True Blood and part of the second Season- I thought it would stay on HBO demand longer than it did, now I have to wait for the DVD release. I like Bill much better on the show. But I keep them seperate in my mind

I think my favorite on besides Dead Until Dark  is Dead to the World.I love Eric!


 

(chuckle) Wow, we been talking about this for what 2 years more??

 

Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 


debbook wrote:

Holy Cow, A whole Sookie thread. I just started them a couple of months ago for a blog challenge. I am currently on book 7. I saw the first season of True Blood and part of the second Season- I thought it would stay on HBO demand longer than it did, now I have to wait for the DVD release. I like Bill much better on the show. But I keep them seperate in my mind

I think my favorite on besides Dead Until Dark  is Dead to the World.I love Eric!


 

(chuckle) Wow, we been talking about this for what 2 years more??

 


 

Hey, I just discovered Sookie and just started getting into paranormal!                                                                  I'm always late to the party :smileyhappy:

 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

 


debbook wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 


debbook wrote:

Holy Cow, A whole Sookie thread. I just started them a couple of months ago for a blog challenge. I am currently on book 7. I saw the first season of True Blood and part of the second Season- I thought it would stay on HBO demand longer than it did, now I have to wait for the DVD release. I like Bill much better on the show. But I keep them seperate in my mind

I think my favorite on besides Dead Until Dark  is Dead to the World.I love Eric!


 

(chuckle) Wow, we been talking about this for what 2 years more??

 


 

Hey, I just discovered Sookie and just started getting into paranormal!                                                                  I'm always late to the party :smileyhappy:

 


 

 

That's just fine! :smileyhappy:

 

It's just strange sometimes to find how long we talk about some subjects. It sneaks up on you.

Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
Posts: 347
Registered: ‎01-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Has anyone picked up the short story collection A Touch of Dead?  Was it worth it?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

 


FaeryQueen wrote:

Has anyone picked up the short story collection A Touch of Dead?  Was it worth it?


 

 

Do you have any other short story collection with Harris in them?

This is just a reprint bundle of the bits she planted in several short story collections.