Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

The last book I read by her started off with the presumption that one had read the short stories. The one with the death of cousin Hadley. That bugged me a little

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

debbook wrote:

The last book I read by her started off with the presumption that one had read the short stories. The one with the death of cousin Hadley. That bugged me a little

She does tend to write with the assumption that you have read everything before with that character. She does in her mystery books too.

Contributor
morninglight67
0 Kudos

I felt the same way... I went thru several chapters wondering if I'd missed a book somewhere... I don't remember where I found out, but somehow did that it was a short story... those books seem to be harder to find at book stores.

Reader
tifferne
0 Kudos

I am pretty new to the entire series as in that I didn't really know about them until June of this year. And between June and August I finished all 9 books that were out. Then in October I preordered A Touch of Dead and completed the entire book in one night. So I guess what I am asking is, are there other short stories out there? And how do I find them?

TiggerBear

tifferne wrote:

I am pretty new to the entire series as in that I didn't really know about them until June of this year. And between June and August I finished all 9 books that were out. Then in October I preordered A Touch of Dead and completed the entire book in one night. So I guess what I am asking is, are there other short stories out there? And how do I find them?

All the ones so far are in A touch of dead.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

debbook wrote:

She does tend to write with the assumption that you have read everything before with that character. She does in her mystery books too.

Which is fine for the series being read in order but not the short stories. You couldn't keep up with Sookie's Boyfriends if these were read out of order:smileyhappy:

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

tifferne wrote:

Wow, you really went through them. I need a break between some or they all run together in my head. I might try some of her other non-Sookie books though

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Guys, since this thread is getting popular again, I'm floating it to the top of the first page so it's easier for you to access...

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Maclaine wrote:

Haha, I started watching the HBO True Blood series when my roommate brought home the DVDs... I've been a bit turned off by the idea of reading the books based on the television series.  Should I perhaps entertain the idea of giving the books a chance? 

Sookie's character is a little annoying to me.  Perhaps she's just a bit wholesome and naive.  It does provide her with a bit of charm, but I feel characters like Sookie might be... 'over-used' in this genre of writing.  I could be wrong, though...

Ahh but it's TV based on Books. Books came first. And though I like the show, books are better.

I have to disagree. I have only seen season one of True Blood but I have read 7 of the books. The series is so much better even if the actors need to work on their acting a little. The only reason I keep reading the book is because I want to see the differences between the show and the books. If not I would have stopped reading after book 2. The story line is good but the writing style was not. I felt like Charliane Harris thought her readers were simple and could not grasp that Sookie can read human minds and not vampires as she writes it several times in all her books. Not to mention in book 7 there are so many inconstancies and the characters have NO common sense at all. Granted this is my opinion but I felt I should share. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

HBT wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Maclaine wrote:

Haha, I started watching the HBO True Blood series when my roommate brought home the DVDs... I've been a bit turned off by the idea of reading the books based on the television series.  Should I perhaps entertain the idea of giving the books a chance? 

Sookie's character is a little annoying to me.  Perhaps she's just a bit wholesome and naive.  It does provide her with a bit of charm, but I feel characters like Sookie might be... 'over-used' in this genre of writing.  I could be wrong, though...

Ahh but it's TV based on Books. Books came first. And though I like the show, books are better.

I have to disagree. I have only seen season one of True Blood but I have read 7 of the books. The series is so much better even if the actors need to work on their acting a little. The only reason I keep reading the book is because I want to see the differences between the show and the books. If not I would have stopped reading after book 2. The story line is good but the writing style was not. I felt like Charliane Harris thought her readers were simple and could not grasp that Sookie can read human minds and not vampires as she writes it several times in all her books. Not to mention in book 7 there are so many inconstancies and the characters have NO common sense at all. Granted this is my opinion but I felt I should share. 

There is a little assumption that perhaps a new reader might not have read an earlier book and so every author gives a little explanation repetition.

Contributor
morninglight67
0 Kudos

Nat-the-Cat wrote:

But just as a warning, Most of Harris's books are much darker in tone than the Sookie novels. They are not as light hearted and tend to deal with tougher subject matter.

I've now done 3 of the "Grave" series and the first in the Shakespeare series and I'm not sure I agree with this comment.  While Sookie's overall story seems more light hearted, it seems to almost always end with her disappointment in something, making life harder for her "now"... whereas the other two come from a background of darker experiences (lightning, abuse, rape), the books all end on a much more positive note... I had read this comment several months ago, I kept expecting Tolliver to die just after he and Harper had come clean about their feelings and I was really expecting Marshall (I think that's his name) to be the guy tormenting Lily, but that wasn't the case and I've been very happy with how these books have ended.

I love reading the Sookie series, but have been let down more often than not on how they end and the disappointments that Sookie has to live with.

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

There is a little assumption that perhaps a new reader might not have read an earlier book and so every author gives a little explanation repetition.

I understand that, and even expect it. However, Every one of the books state the fact Sookie can read minds of people not vampires from start to finish. It gets really old after chapter one of every book. I mean we are not simple, we get it. Not to mention the inconsistencies in Book 7 and the lack of common sense from the characters really bothered me. Again I will say the story line is good, but...

Maybe her other stories are better written, I don't know. I never heard of Charlaine Harris until HBO brought out True Blood. 

pen21
0 Kudos

I just finished Definitely Dead number 6 in the series. They just keep getting better.

This one had some interesting insights into Sookie and her gift.

I still have a few books to go here.

pen21

Correspondent
NenetRN
0 Kudos

Yes, your absolutely right..... they just get better and better.

the last book I read was her new book with all the short stories, A Touch of Dead..... It was nice to kinda fill in chronologically some of the space and time between her books, and just see what else happens with Sookie.....

But- i did read ALL her books first..... I just needed something until her next book comes out, I think in May.  But A Touch of Dead is so short compared to regular books, I think i read it during a 12-hr shift at work! LOL..... so back to waiting.....  :smileysad:

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

NenetRN wrote:

the last book I read was her new book with all the short stories, A Touch of Dead..... It was nice to kinda fill in chronologically some of the space and time between her books, and just see what else happens with Sookie.....

But- i did read ALL her books first..... I just needed something until her next book comes out, I think in May.  But A Touch of Dead is so short compared to regular books, I think i read it during a 12-hr shift at work! LOL..... so back to waiting.....  :smileysad:

NENET'S BACK! NENET'S BACK! (Where did she disappear to? I don't know....)

Glad to have you back! :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
NenetRN

paulgoatallen wrote:

NenetRN wrote:

NENET'S BACK! NENET'S BACK! (Where did she disappear to? I don't know....)

Glad to have you back! :smileyhappy:

Paul

LMAO!!!!......

Thanks Paul! Glad to see that someone actually noticed my absence........

But I didn't disappear completely .... just got sucked into a black hole...... AKA the crazy Emergency Room that is my place of work! 

I am very, very glad to be back! ......even if I have a lot of catching up to do!

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
New User
jackthe_ripper

I read all of the books before i saw the series. The series is fun and entertaining but they got all of the characters wrong except maybe Sam and Arlene and Pam who is a little old looking. I hate the way they are adding in things with Tara and the excorcism and Tara hooking up with sam. Eric should have been alot more attractive. Oh and Jason in the books would never consume vampire blood! So yeah kinda dumb. I mean don't get me wrong I like the show but if it's gonna turn ppl off to the books that kinda bugs me cuz the books are so much better as are mostly all books are better than their film adaptations. I was really suprised the show was nominated for a few awards. As for the books they are some of my favorites! I actually want her to end up with Eric. It just pissed me off that Bill used her for so long went back to his old girl. actually she can't really "end" up with him cuz she doesn't want to be turned and Charlaine said Sookie would never become a vamp which is kind of a bummer cuz she'll just be just a blink to Bill and Eric unless they die.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

jackthe_ripper wrote:

I read all of the books before i saw the series. The series is fun and entertaining but they got all of the characters wrong except maybe Sam and Arlene and Pam who is a little old looking. I hate the way they are adding in things with Tara and the excorcism and Tara hooking up with sam. Eric should have been alot more attractive. Oh and Jason in the books would never consume vampire blood! So yeah kinda dumb. I mean don't get me wrong I like the show but if it's gonna turn ppl off to the books that kinda bugs me cuz the books are so much better as are mostly all books are better than their film adaptations. I was really suprised the show was nominated for a few awards. As for the books they are some of my favorites! I actually want her to end up with Eric. It just pissed me off that Bill used her for so long went back to his old girl. actually she can't really "end" up with him cuz she doesn't want to be turned and Charlaine said Sookie would never become a vamp which is kind of a bummer cuz she'll just be just a blink to Bill and Eric unless they die.

Jack:
Welcome to the forums – great post! It was like concentrated soup – lots of thoughts shoved into a few sentences!
Are you psyched about Dead in the Family? May 4th isn't that far away.....
Paul

Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

I don't know if everyone knows this, but the first chapter of Dead in the Family is posted on Charlaine's Website.  Come on May 5th!

New User
jackthe_ripper
0 Kudos

OH yeah I am very excited. Thanks!