Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
fier
0 Kudos

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Charlaine Harris was talking about Daniel O'Malley's The Rook on her book blog and it got me curious about the novel. Has anyone read the book? If yes, what were you thoughts on it? I wasn't sure if it's considered paranormal/urban fantasy or more fantasy/science fiction.

Thanks!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

fier wrote:

Hi,

Charlaine Harris was talking about Daniel O'Malley's The Rook on her book blog and it got me curious about the novel. Has anyone read the book? If yes, what were you thoughts on it? I wasn't sure if it's considered paranormal/urban fantasy or more fantasy/science fiction.

Thanks!

Publishers Weekly

At the start of Australian author O’Malley’s impressive debut, a supernatural detective thriller distinguished by its adept use of humor, an unknown woman reads a letter that opens “Dear You” and closes “Sincerely, Me.” The letter informs the woman that she now inhabits the body of Myfanwy Alice Thomas. A second letter from Thomas gives her body’s new mental occupant a choice—either flee London to take up a new, carefree life of affluence, or pretend that she is in fact Thomas in order to identify the person responsible for her memory loss. If the situation isn’t confusing enough, the “new” Thomas finds herself in the middle of a park in a heavy rain; scattered on the ground are motionless bodies wearing latex gloves. After making the more interesting choice, she learns that Thomas is a “Rook,” one of the leaders of a super-secret government organization that protects an unknowing public from a wide variety of paranormal threats. While the “old” Thomas has left detailed explanations about people and things for her successor, the “new” Thomas still must struggle to mask her complete ignorance about some of her major responsibilities. Dry wit, surprising reversals of fortune, and a clever if offbeat plot make this a winner. Dr. Who fans will find a lot to like. (Jan.)

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
AngieG
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I finished this a month or so ago and just loved it, I hope there is a sequel. The PW review above describes it pretty well. It was a really original idea (to me anyway), and I liked it much more than I expected to.

Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed this too. I will definitely read the next one

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.