Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
Posts: 1,336
Registered: ‎09-07-2007

The Zombie Thread

I love zombies. They are among the few creatures that are resistant to being romanticized. The zombie films and books I like the best are the ones that use them in a way to explore the human condition - how society breaks down, and how people show their true colors when faced with the walking dead. And being a fan of occult horror, I also like the entertainment that takes a more "traditional" form by tying them in withdark magic. I think zombies are a potent metaphor, and I think that the sudden interest in them this decade would be a worthy subject for a sociological study.

 

I recently read Jonathan Maberry's "Zombie CSU" - which was excellent, BTW, and I am finally reading Max Brooks' "World War Z." Some of Permuted Press' books also look interesting. My favorite zombie novel is probably Brian Keene's "The Rising."

Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
Posts: 1,241
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread

Not being very experienced in the area of zombies (yes, I am writing this with a straight face), I don't really have much to say on this topic. However, I will say that as far as paranormal/supernatural beings/creatures go, they are my least favorite to read about. Since they are often portrayed as flesh-eaters, the gross-out factor is a bit too high for me. I am way creeped out by cannibalism. Yes, I understand that vampires drink blood and that may be seen as a form of cannibalism, but, to me, it is just not as "yucky" (can you tell I will be seeing my grandson shortly?).

 

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread


Chomp wrote:

Not being very experienced in the area of zombies (yes, I am writing this with a straight face), I don't really have much to say on this topic. However, I will say that as far as paranormal/supernatural beings/creatures go, they are my least favorite to read about. Since they are often portrayed as flesh-eaters, the gross-out factor is a bit too high for me. I am way creeped out by cannibalism. Yes, I understand that vampires drink blood and that may be seen as a form of cannibalism, but, to me, it is just not as "yucky" (can you tell I will be seeing my grandson shortly?).

 

Carol


Me too. In general I find Zombies just a little too disgusting.

Author
KatRichardson
Posts: 262
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread

While I wouldn't want to live next door to one, I think zombies are OK.  The only problems seem to bet that they defy even their own rules of existence a lot.  They're the walking dead... and yet they never seem to simply rot away completely.  They eat... yet how do they digest or make use of what they eat?
Kat Richardson
http://katrichardson.com/
Wordsmith
Paula717
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎12-27-2008

Re: The Zombie Thread

I'm a horror/paranormal freak but zombies are my absolute favorite. :smileyhappy:

I watched "Night of the Living Dead" one night, as a little girl, and was immediately hooked. I've seen every movie with zombies and am always looking out for new ones. I loved Brian Keene's "Dead Sea" and enjoyed "The Rising" & "City of the Dead" even though their storyline was a little different than ususal.

 

I believe they're my favorite because I love to be scared. Out of all of the creatures out there (in fiction) zombies would be the last one I'd like to encounter. They scare the bejesus out of me.

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread


 

LordRuthven wrote:

 I think zombies are a potent metaphor, and I think that the sudden interest in them this decade would be a worthy subject for a sociological study.

 


 

 I agree. I would be curious to read the theories as well, if you come across any research.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎10-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread

 

I too have found most of the zombie movies too grusome to enjoy.  But lately that view

 is changing.  I still don't like the Romero type flesh eating movies, but even they are presenting a cryteque to our consumer society.  I guess I find them interesting in spite of the gore factor.  Maybe I have seen enough of them that by the time I saw Shaun of the Dead I thought it was both thought provoking and funny.  Really.  Add to this my reading taste for urban fantasy which is chock full of gore and monsters.   I have read a few books where zombies figure largely and I liked them.  For example the whole Anita Blake series,  and the Magic Bites/Burns series (where vamps are really pretty much zombies, a connection  I think the Blake series hints at.   Those are more just fun reads and zombies are a part of the plot but not central, yet. So when the living dead came out (a fat book of Zombie stories by many writers I love) I had to get it from the library.   Now I only got to read the first two stories before I had to return it, but wow.  Those stories were really really good.  and intense.  and thought provoking.  I plan to  buy the book because those stories are pretty intense and I'd like to read the rest between books at my own pace without the library ffines hanging over my head. 

 

Anyway, I am developing a taste for Zombies.  They are just misunderstood (chuckle). 

lil

Dude, Where's My Book!
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread



lilithesquee wrote:

 

I am developing a taste for Zombies.


 

 
 
:smileysurprised: I just got a very bad taste in my mouth! 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: The Zombie Thread


lilithesquee wrote:

 

I too have found most of the zombie movies too grusome to enjoy.  But lately that view

 is changing.  I still don't like the Romero type flesh eating movies, but even they are presenting a cryteque to our consumer society.  I guess I find them interesting in spite of the gore factor.  Maybe I have seen enough of them that by the time I saw Shaun of the Dead I thought it was both thought provoking and funny.  Really.  Add to this my reading taste for urban fantasy which is chock full of gore and monsters.   I have read a few books where zombies figure largely and I liked them.  For example the whole Anita Blake series,  and the Magic Bites/Burns series (where vamps are really pretty much zombies, a connection  I think the Blake series hints at.   Those are more just fun reads and zombies are a part of the plot but not central, yet. So when the living dead came out (a fat book of Zombie stories by many writers I love) I had to get it from the library.   Now I only got to read the first two stories before I had to return it, but wow.  Those stories were really really good.  and intense.  and thought provoking.  I plan to  buy the book because those stories are pretty intense and I'd like to read the rest between books at my own pace without the library ffines hanging over my head. 

 

Anyway, I am developing a taste for Zombies.  They are just misunderstood (chuckle). 

lil


Oh you want a funny one, rent "Fido". Both very funny and culture thinking.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
Posts: 1,336
Registered: ‎09-07-2007

Re: The Zombie Thread

I was talking to a friend of mine earlier tonight, and it dawned on me that my zombie kick as of late is a backlash against "Twilight." Vampires and werewolves are my favorites, but I'm past tired of all the "Twilight" hoopla and having to filter through "Team Edward" or that wolf guy junk when looking at vampire/werewolf stuff these days. With zombies, you don't have that problem. The cannibal-style zombie is a horror creature through and through. No one is going to write a Stephenie Meyer-esque novel about that anytime soon - and if someone tried, it could only be done for smart-aleck purposes only.
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Paula717
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎12-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread

With vampires and werewolves theres always the chance for romanticism but I don't see that happening with zombies. A deep gash on the cheek, a missing nose, a hanging eyeball... nope I don't see it happening anytime soon. At least I hope.
To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: The Zombie Thread

And speaking of zombies, if anyone is interested, here's the thread from our featured title from last October,  The Living Dead, an amazing collection of zombie fiction that includes classic short stories from Dan Simmons, George R.R. Martin, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Harlan Ellison and Robert Silverberg, Laurell K. Hamilton, Clive Barker... the list goes on and on. Anyone who calls themselves a fan of zombie fiction, HAS to read this collection...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
Posts: 1,336
Registered: ‎09-07-2007

Re: The Zombie Thread

I nearly picked up "The Living Dead" earlier today, and will at some point soon. I read the introduction and was impressed that the editor went out of his way to collect stories that are not frequently anthologized. I also liked Nancy Kilpatrick's take on the recent popularity of zombies: that they are filling the void left when vampires became increasingly romanticized. Being undead, zombies are similar to vampires, and like many folklore vampires, they are scary and unambiguously predatory. We don't see that many vampires like that these days, and zombies have taken that place in the supernatural hierarchy.

 

BTW, Nancy Kilpatrick is not well-known in the USA (she's a Canadian author), but her vampire stories are definitely worth checking out. It's often explicitly erotic, and they have some interesting characters.

Derek Tatum
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread

In the books for March on the Fantasy Sci/Fi board there are the books by John Meaney, Bone Song and Black Blood.  Now I haven't read Black Blood yet, but I have read Bone Song.  It does put a little bit of a different light on the Zombie thing.  I liked the angle on the zombies in that book...  But I will leave the thought there till next month for in the thread on it.

 

Mel

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎11-03-2007

Re: The Zombie Thread

If you are on a zombie run you should deff check out this band.  They are called Zombie Girl and they only sing about zombies I really like them but yeah...  Its not a book but just as good!!
"In the end family is all that we have"
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread


WaterLily wrote:
They only sing about zombies

 

 
 Internal: Please don't open Pandora's box, Please don't open Pandora's box
 
External: How many albums could they actually make? I mean, do any words actually rhyme with zombie? 
 
Sorry. Just this one joke and I'll stop; this is a really interesting thread, with some really thought-provoking comments. I really want to see where it goes.
 
 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread

[ Edited ]

Think of it this way though.....artfully torn clothing in the right places that show just the right amount of tender flesh, a total fixation on you, eyes that devour every inch of your body, a partner with only one thing on their mind, able to take a beating and keep on ticking (shows stamina).....that sounds pretty romantic to me :smileywink:

 


Paula717 wrote:
With vampires and werewolves theres always the chance for romanticism but I don't see that happening with zombies. A deep gash on the cheek, a missing nose, a hanging eyeball... nope I don't see it happening anytime soon. At least I hope.

 

Message Edited by fforgnayr on 02-22-2009 11:03 PM
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎11-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread


PenelopeTX wrote:

WaterLily wrote:
They only sing about zombies

 

 
 Internal: Please don't open Pandora's box, Please don't open Pandora's box
 
External: How many albums could they actually make? I mean, do any words actually rhyme with zombie? 
 
Sorry. Just this one joke and I'll stop; this is a really interesting thread, with some really thought-provoking comments. I really want to see where it goes.
 
 

Actually I think they made like two or three.  I believe they are from Canada cant remember though.  The one cd i have the songs are written as the singer being the zombie and singing about zombies and wierd stuff.  Its just funny.

"In the end family is all that we have"
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread

Sounds really interesting and funny. Might have to look into it.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread


fforgnayr wrote:

Think of it this way though.....artfully torn clothing in the right places that show just the right amount of tender flesh, a total fixation on you, eyes that devour every inch of your body, a partner with only one thing on their mind, able to take a beating and keep on ticking (shows stamina).....that sounds pretty romantic to me :smileywink:

 


Paula717 wrote:
With vampires and werewolves theres always the chance for romanticism but I don't see that happening with zombies. A deep gash on the cheek, a missing nose, a hanging eyeball... nope I don't see it happening anytime soon. At least I hope.

 

Message Edited by fforgnayr on 02-22-2009 11:03 PM

Ryan when you put it that way they do sound attractive.  But I still have to get past the pasty flesh and I think I would have to try not to get to close.... The eyes devouring every inch makes me nervous...  LOL

 

Mel

 

Mel

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/