Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Stacia_Kane
0 Kudos

Re: The Zombie Thread

Aside from Mark's awesome zombie books, and aside from Generation Dead--my stepdaughter loved it--I'd also recommend Stacey Jay's You Are So Undead to Me. It's a really fun, creepy book; YA about a zombie Settler.

Learn more about Personal Demons.
paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

EDooley wrote:

Another pretty grim Zombie series would be the "Monster" trilogy by David Wellington:  Monster Island, Monster Nation, and Monster Planet.  Very bleak world there.

If you want to check him out to see if you like him before buying, some of his work including the whole Monster trilogy, can be found on http://brokentype.com, along with a few other serials. 

I always like to have an actual book to own, but times are tough for all right now, and this is a cool (and free) way to get to know a new-to-you author. 

I haven't read all of David Wellington's stuff yet, although I want to. I did read and review

Monster Island for BN.com and was just blown away by it. I would suggest this to anyone who is into zombie fiction.

Paul

The Barnes & Noble Review
David Wellington's debut novel -- which first appeared as an online seriawith, not surprisingly, a cult following -- is an instant horror classic that brings new life (or would that be living death?) to the zombie mythos.

After a mysterious event known as the Epidemic sweeps across the planet, the age of humanity comes to a sudden close as the Homo mortis rise in the millions from the grave and walk the earth in search of sustenance. A few pockets of humanity still remain, battling against impossible odds to survive.

One of those strongholds is in Somalia, where a charismatic leader named Mama Halima has formed an army and has begun to rebuild a community from the ground up. A former UN weapons inspector named Dekalb, in an attempt to not only save his own life but also ensure the continued safety of his seven-year-old daughter, volunteers for a highly dangerous mission to retrieve some much-needed medicine on the other side of the world in New York City. But Dekalb finds Manhattan inhabited by millions of the undead -- as well as the creature "who turns off the lights when the world ends."

Horror aficionados are going to absolutely devour this macabre masterpiece, which is the first installment of a trilogy of zombie novels. Wellington's breathless sense of pacing, his incredibly vivid narrative style, and his twisted sense of humor (zombies snapping into SlimJims, checking out Olsen Twins DVDs in video stores, etc.) will have readers laughing out loud while simultaneously trying not to lose their lunch. Reminiscent of Richard Matheson's 1954 masterwork, I Am Legend, and Cell by Stephen King, Monster Island will soon join them in the literary pantheon of zombie classics. Two stinking, rotting thumbs way up! Paul Goat Allen

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 03-19-2009 10:01 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Mario Acevedo's newest, Jailbait Zombie, is quite good so far.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Wordsmith
Chomp

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is the lead book review in the newest Entertainment Weekly (and gets an A-).

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is the lead book review in the newest Entertainment Weekly (and gets an A-).

Carol

It's that good. Trust me!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

I just picked it up yesterday, it'll be my next read. I trusted your comments. :smileywink:
To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Wordsmith
Zack_Kullis

Thanks for the tickler for the David Wellington trilogy, I am excited to go get them!

I have been a zombie fan for quite a while.  For a number of years I lived in Brazil, and lived in an area where there was a fair amount of Macumba, Candomble, and Quimbanda.  These are closely-associated with Voodoo (Voudon), and have many similar or shared beliefs.  One of these beliefs is in Zombies. 

In Haiti, for example, a Voudon priest can make a mix from the toxin in the skin of the "bufo bufo" with a compound (modern word for potion??) made from a Japanese Pufferfish that contains tetrodotoxin.  The priest takes this mixture and applies it to a victim through a wound, or rubbed in through skin that is close to the circulatory system, and this stuff puts the victim in a coma-like catatonic state where they have a pulse that is nearly imperceptible, and equally imperceptible respiration.  The "dead" victim is then buried.  In warmer climates, when a body is not embalmed, they often bury the dead within a day to avoid seeing the bloating, and smelling the stench.

The Voudon priest or priestess will then return to the grave, dig up the body, and take it home.  When the person starts to come out of the coma, the priest gives the victim Datura, or Jimsons Weed, which destroys the victim's connection to reality, erases their memory, and they are left in a state of psychotic delirium.  The result of the datura is not permanent, so the priest occasionally gives the "zombie" new doses of the weed to keep them delirious and in a kind of walking/waking nightmare.  The victim is easily controllable, and essentially becomes a slave to the priest. 

In my opinion, this can be just as scary and horrific as a flesh-craving etiquette challenged zombie that we love to read about! 

Sic volvere Parcas...
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily

Time magazine had a short article at the end about Zombies.  It was titled somthing like zombies being the new vampires.
"In the end family is all that we have"
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

EDooley wrote:

Another pretty grim Zombie series would be the "Monster" trilogy by David Wellington:  Monster Island, Monster Nation, and Monster Planet.  Very bleak world there.

If you want to check him out to see if you like him before buying, some of his work including the whole Monster trilogy, can be found on http://brokentype.com, along with a few other serials. 

I always like to have an actual book to own, but times are tough for all right now, and this is a cool (and free) way to get to know a new-to-you author. 

I finished "Monster Island" last night. I really enjoyed it. Now I'll be starting "Monster Planet" later on today. Thanks for the recommendations!
Contributor
EDooley
0 Kudos

I know that Paul already read it, and that he picked it as a May feature, but I had to mention I just picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and can't wait to read it. 

And actually the lady at B&N laughed when I got up to the counter to buy it because besides PaPaZ, I had 4 adorable plushy stuffed animals-monkey, elephant, lamb, and puppy-for my friend's kid because they were 50% off and too cute to pass up.  I suppose it was an amusing juxtaposition...

Emily
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Good for you, Emily! Always keep 'em guessing.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Wordsmith
Paula717

It seems PnPnZ will be possibly hitting the big screen as well. According to an article I came across, it'll surely find it's way onto film. Yippee, another zombie movie! :smileyvery-happy:

Tuesday, February 10
  • Pride and Prejudice ... Now With Zombies

So, zombies are hot. Now it seems they are going to be well-mannered as well. Studios have started fighting over the rights to the not yet published novel Pride and Prejudice and Zombies which went viral over the last few weeks. The opening line of the novel, liberally adapted from the Jane Austen original, sensibly notes that "It's a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains." Apparently studios agree. Check out the publisher's astonished reaction to the book's rapid climb to the top of the heap in an interview at the NYC Comics Convention.

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/2764/pride-and-prejudice-now-with-zombies
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

[ Edited ]

Forest of Hands and Teeth  

I just finished this one. It is a YA novel with an interesting look at a post-apocalyptic society once zombies have seemingly trashed everything. The first part of the novel reminds me a lot of the M. Night Shyamalan movie THE VILLAGE...but don't worry if you hated how that movie turned out - this is much better. And while it is very much a YA novel, it has several genuinely frightening moments. While the book ends on a somewhat hopeful note, it still very much plays for keeps and the threat is very real. Characters get killed and it is up in the air as to who exactly will survive. Since I haven't read a lot of contemporary YA fiction, I expected Ryan to find a way to wrap things up with a happy ending. I was glad that she stayed true to the grim uncertainty that informs most zombie film and fiction. This would be a fine zombie fiction "primer" for teens to read, and, more importantly, does no disservice to the larger zombie fiction genre. Recommended.

Breathers 

And this is a novel that I am reading currently. It is different from most zombie novels in that it is neither an apocalyptic tale nor are the zombie mindless. It is a social satire, wherein zombies come back from the dead but are treated as "untouchables" - no rights and no compassion from the living. How long do you think they are going to stand for this treatment? Definitely humorous, but pointedly so. Unless this one really blows it, this will probably be one of the best books that I read this year.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 04-26-2009 09:54 PM
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:

Forest of Hands and Teeth  

I just finished this one. It is a YA novel with an interesting look at a post-apocalyptic society once zombies have seemingly trashed everything. The first part of the novel reminds me a lot of the M. Night Shyamalan movie THE VILLAGE...but don't worry if you hated how that movie turned out - this is much better. And while it is very much a YA novel, it has several genuinely frightening moments. While the book ends on a somewhat hopeful note, it still very much plays for keeps and the threat is very real. Characters get killed and it is up in the air as to who exactly will survive. Since I haven't read a lot of contemporary YA fiction, I expected Ryan to find a way to wrap things up with a happy ending. I was glad that she stayed true to the grim uncertainty that informs most zombie film and fiction. This would be a fine zombie fiction "primer" for teens to read, and, more importantly, does no disservice to the larger zombie fiction genre. Recommended.

Breathers 

And this is a novel that I am reading currently. It is different from most zombie novels in that it is neither an apocalyptic tale nor are the zombie mindless. It is a social satire, wherein zombies come back from the dead but are treated as "untouchables" - no rights and no compassion from the living. How long do you think they are going to stand for this treatment? Definitely humorous, but pointedly so. Unless this one really blows it, this will probably be one of the best books that I read this year.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 04-26-2009 09:54 PM

Almost picked up Forest of Hands and Teeth but got Monster Island & Monster Nation instead. Well, I read one and just about finished with the other so I'll be making my way back to B&N for this one. Thanks for the heads up, my lord. Sorry, couldn't help myself, just finished watching the Tudors, LOL.
Contributor
EDooley

[ Edited ]

In her blog, Carrie Ryan says The Forest of Hands and Teeth is the start of a zombie series.  The second book, The Dead-Tossed Waves is coming out in Spring 2010, and the third book (as yet untitled) in Spring 2011.  She only mentions 3 books, so I don't know if this will stand as a trilogy, or if others are planned but just not in the works yet.

Message Edited by EDooley on 04-27-2009 01:59 PM
Emily
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

I noticed with interest that BN.com now has a "Zombies" subsection under Horror. For years, they were just dumped in "Werewolves & Other Beasts."
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen

LordRuthven wrote:
 I noticed with interest that BN.com now has a "Zombies" subsection under Horror. For years, they were just dumped in "Werewolves & Other Beasts."

Good catch, D. This is actually quite a big deal and I'm glad zombie fiction is finally getting its due....

Paul 

Wordsmith
Paula717

And with all of these new zombies books there will most likely be zombie movies. :smileywink:
Inspired Contributor
SarahReadsAlot
0 Kudos

I would love to see some new good zombie movies. I do love a amazingly bad horror movie , but sometimes they are just too cheesy for their own good...
What does it mean when nightmares long for dreams and shadows wish for light?
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

As much as I like well-done horror movies, I have little tolerance for cheesy ones. It probably comes down to what is considered cheesy to any given viewer, though.
Derek Tatum