Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Paula717

Re: The Zombie Thread

Melhay wrote:

fforgnayr wrote:

Think of it this way though.....artfully torn clothing in the right places that show just the right amount of tender flesh, a total fixation on you, eyes that devour every inch of your body, a partner with only one thing on their mind, able to take a beating and keep on ticking (shows stamina).....that sounds pretty romantic to me :smileywink:

Paula717 wrote:
With vampires and werewolves theres always the chance for romanticism but I don't see that happening with zombies. A deep gash on the cheek, a missing nose, a hanging eyeball... nope I don't see it happening anytime soon. At least I hope.

Message Edited by fforgnayr on 02-22-2009 11:03 PM

Ryan when you put it that way they do sound attractive.  But I still have to get past the pasty flesh and I think I would have to try not to get to close.... The eyes devouring every inch makes me nervous...  LOL

Mel

Mel

LOL!

ALso, I don't think I could get over the constant stench of rotting flesh and our conversations would be limited, as his reply would always be "Ughhhh...". :smileytongue:

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
paulgoatallen

I think zombies are so compelling, at least in my mind, because they could easily be living among us. I once had a boss who I was convinced was the worst kind of zombie – a Nazi zombie – and every time I go to the local shopping center, I always see nomadic herds of teenaged zombies posing as, well, posers.

From a movie standpoint, I've always loved zombie flicks – even the bad ones.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

My Uncle's sister has a Zombie safety route.  So if zombies attack they have a drill set up to follow.  Kind of like a fire escape plan.  Its really funny one year someone drew them a plan of thier house and colored in the route they would follow to escape in a fire and if zombies come.  they dont really believe in zombies its just like a funny family insided joke.  Which I still dont get because i dont really watch that many movies let alone zombie movies.
"In the end family is all that we have"
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

WaterLily wrote:
My Uncle's sister has a Zombie safety route.  So if zombies attack they have a drill set up to follow.  Kind of like a fire escape plan.  Its really funny one year someone drew them a plan of thier house and colored in the route they would follow to escape in a fire and if zombies come.  they dont really believe in zombies its just like a funny family insided joke.  Which I still dont get because i dont really watch that many movies let alone zombie movies.

Why is that funny? (smile) We've got a shotgun in the bedroom for robbers, zombies, ghouls, ect... 

Last Zombie movie my husband went and saw. He came home ask how much shells were ready, nodded, and promptly ordered a gungrip for it. (chuckle) Just in case.

Wordsmith
Paula717

One can never be too prepared. The guide below is essential if you don't want to become lunch. LOL!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9781400049622&ourl=The%2DZombie...

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks: Book Cover

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Paula717 wrote:

One can never be too prepared. The guide below is essential if you don't want to become lunch. LOL!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9781400049622&ourl=The%2DZombie...

That book is soo tongue in cheek. (ducking because I can see the puns flying)

Not bad for a laugh.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

I am reading Max Brooks' second zombie book, "World War Z." It is a lot more serious than "The Zombie Survival Guide." Unless the quality takes an abrupt nosedive, it may wind up being the best horror novel I have read so far this decade. I can't begin to imagine the sheer amount of research Brooks did to write from so many perspectives believably.
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

You're right. I read it last year and thought it was great. Brad Pitt & Tom Cruise were fighting for the movie rights. The movie is currently in production and is due out next year. I'm hoping they do a good job with it. 
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

I read that a movie was in the works, I just don't know how they could do it. I guess they will make the nameless interviewer into a character, but it will be a tough job do make it work. Best of luck, though - a "prestige" zombie film would be something to see.
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:
I am reading Max Brooks' second zombie book, "World War Z." It is a lot more serious than "The Zombie Survival Guide." Unless the quality takes an abrupt nosedive, it may wind up being the best horror novel I have read so far this decade. I can't begin to imagine the sheer amount of research Brooks did to write from so many perspectives believably.

I have this book on my shelf. It sounds as though I should get to it sooner rather than later.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:
I am reading Max Brooks' second zombie book, "World War Z." ...it may wind up being the best horror novel I have read so far this decade.

Wow. Derek, that's some statement. Now I have to read it!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

LordRuthven wrote:
I am reading Max Brooks' second zombie book, "World War Z." ...it may wind up being the best horror novel I have read so far this decade.

Wow. Derek, that's some statement. Now I have to read it!

Paul 

Of the horror novels I have read this decade, it is certainly the most reflective of the times.

World War Z 

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 03-01-2009 06:09 PM
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

Paula717 wrote:

I actually bought this book for them for Christmas.

"In the end family is all that we have"
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

I finished "World War Z," and while it began very strong, it did not follow through as strong as I had hoped. So for now, Brian Keene's "Dark Hollow" aka "The Rutting Season" remains the best horror novel I have read this decade.

"World War Z" was still very good, and reflects the unease of this decade moreso than any other novel I have read.

Derek Tatum
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

Forest of Hands and Teeth  

Mark Henry recommended this YA zombie novel to me. I love the title.

Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:

Forest of Hands and Teeth  

Mark Henry recommended this YA zombie novel to me. I love the title.

My copy arrived the other day. It looks really good.

Carol

Wordsmith
Chomp

Derek, You may also want to look into Generation Dead by Daniel Waters. I haven't read it yet, but my students and several adults I know all loved it.

Carol

Contributor
EDooley

Another pretty grim Zombie series would be the "Monster" trilogy by David Wellington:  Monster Island, Monster Nation, and Monster Planet.  Very bleak world there.

If you want to check him out to see if you like him before buying, some of his work including the whole Monster trilogy, can be found on http://brokentype.com, along with a few other serials. 

I always like to have an actual book to own, but times are tough for all right now, and this is a cool (and free) way to get to know a new-to-you author. 

Emily
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have all three of Wellington's "Monster"/zombie books, I got a good deal on them used and I have heard they are entertaining. I want to read his vampire books as well.
Message Edited by LordRuthven on 03-18-2009 05:59 PM
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

I looked these up and they look like great reads. I've already added them to my "to read" list. Thanks for the posting!!